Rate my Draft

SR24

Just rounds 1-3 from a guy who doesn't watch much college football.

1st- OJ Howard-Alabama

2nd-Sidney Jones-Washington or Jalen Tabor- Florida

3rd- Antonio Garcia-Troy

3rd Comp Pick- Brad Kayaa.

15 hours ago, SR24 said:

Just rounds 1-3 from a guy who doesn't watch much college football.

1st- OJ Howard-Alabama

2nd-Sidney Jones-Washington or Jalen Tabor- Florida

3rd- Antonio Garcia-Troy

3rd Comp Pick- Brad Kayaa.

Not bad. 

S.Jones over Tabor and give me D'Onta Foreman- RB, instead of Brad Kayaa with the last pick in the 3rd and I'm on board. 

I don't know why people keep insisting the Jets draft a QB simply b/c they do not have a Franchise QB right now. Hack and Petty will have a great opportunity to win the starting gig this year so one of them can finally show exactly what they are capable of and McCown is the perfect backup/vet mentor/competition for them. Next year is the big QB draft anyway, right?  

Not bad. 
S.Jones over Tabor and give me D'Onta Foreman- RB, instead of Brad Kayaa with the last pick in the 3rd and I'm on board. 
I don't know why people keep insisting the Jets draft a QB simply b/c they do not have a Franchise QB right now. Hack and Petty will have a great opportunity to win the starting gig this year so one of them can finally show exactly what they are capable of and McCown is the perfect backup/vet mentor/competition for them. Next year is the big QB draft anyway, right?  

Drafting a QB is probably done in mocks because Mac himself stated he will draft a QB every year until a FQB is found.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

10 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

Drafting a QB is probably done in mocks because Mac himself stated he will draft a QB every year until a FQB is found.

That is a general statement that you will probably hear from every GM.

I believe it is HIGHLY unlikely Macc takes a QB in this draft. Like, AT ALL. The only way that happens is if someone slides and Macc takes him simply as a BPA type of pick. If Watson or Mitchell slides to the 2nd round, if Mahomes is there late in the 3rd, that kind of thing. Otherwise, not happening.  

That is a general statement that you will probably hear from every GM.
I believe it is HIGHLY unlikely Macc takes a QB in this draft. Like, AT ALL. The only way that happens is if someone slides and Macc takes him simply as a BPA type of pick. If Watson or Mitchell slides to the 2nd round, if Mahomes is there late in the 3rd, that kind of thing. Otherwise, not happening.  

I would agree with that ...The talent in this draft is great and we need everything while we have 3 QBs on the roster and not alot of knowledge about how 2 may work out. What's the point of adding another project.

3 hours ago, nicg4360 said:

I only see Mac drafting a QB if the guy is by far the top guy left on his board, or has a round higher grade on the QB, can see this happening either with 3rd comp, or 5th rounder, but don't think he is committed to drafting one no matter what.

19 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

I think the 1st 4 picks (if they stay put and dont trade out) must see the field from day 1

That would be great, but I really don't get this type of thinking. 

I mean, lets say they get A.Garcia in the 3rd round and one of Qvale/Shell/ Ijalana beat him out for the starting RT spot and Beachem beats him out for the LT spot. Does that make him a bad pick? Does that mean Macc whiffed? No. That would be a ridiculous assumption to make. Garcia could very well be the Jets starting LT for 10 years, just not his rookie season. 

You could say the same thing about a CB the Jets take in the 3rd- lets say they take Moreau but he is not ready to play in part due to injury/late recovery, in part b/c he is still a bit raw and needs to learn the position at the NFL level. Does that make HIM a bad pick? No. Moreau is a great prospect, just happens to be one that is raw- which is why he could still be available in the 3rd. I can keep bringing up examples of this. Obi M. from Conn. is an uber talented Safety prospect that is also very much known to be raw. He will probably go as high as early in the 2nd. Maybe even late in the 1st. But he is certainly not guaranteed to start from day one on ANY team. His biggest weaknesses are lack of recognition and awareness at the safety position. But b/c of his immense upside, he could very well end up being an elite safety in the NFL.     

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

That would be great, but I really don't get this type of thinking. 

I mean, lets say they get A.Garcia in the 3rd round and one of Qvale/Shell/ Ijalana beat him out for the starting RT spot and Beachem beats him out for the LT spot. Does that make him a bad pick? Does that mean Macc whiffed? No. That would be a ridiculous assumption to make. Garcia could very well be the Jets starting LT for 10 years, just not his rookie season. 

You could say the same thing about a CB the Jets take in the 3rd- lets say they take Moreau but he is not ready to play in part due to injury/late recovery, in part b/c he is still a bit raw and needs to learn the position at the NFL level. Does that make HIM a bad pick? No. Moreau is a great prospect, just happens to be one that is raw- which is why he could still be available in the 3rd. I can keep bringing up examples of this. Obi M. from Conn. is an uber talented Safety prospect that is also very much known to be raw. He will probably go as high as early in the 2nd. Maybe even late in the 1st. But he is certainly not guaranteed to start from day one on ANY team. His biggest weaknesses are lack of recognition and awareness at the safety position. But b/c of his immense upside, he could very well end up being an elite safety in the NFL.     

I think there are plenty of opp to pick impact players with 1st 4 picks and expect them all to see the field...That would be ideal situation for this team right now.  Do they have to be starters? no that is not what i said.

10 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I think there are plenty of opp to pick impact players with 1st 4 picks and expect them all to see the field...That would be ideal situation for this team right now.  Do they have to be starters? no that is not what i said.

Fair enough. But in what capacity then. Special teams? Depth? 

I just mean, its cryptic. So if a guy is a rookie and a backup but doesn't see the field Day 1, but does get to play eventually due to a starters injury, does that not qualify him? I'm just saying, its a silly way to judge draft picks. I get it, you want to get players that can make an immediate impact in the early part of the draft. But is they down;t, it should not deem them busts or bad picks, or whatever, without looking at circumstances. This was true of Hack  and could very well be true of another draft pick Macc makes in the first 3 rounds, particularly if its along the O-line. 

Just now, PepPep said:

Fair enough. But in what capacity then. Special teams? Depth? 

I just mean, its cryptic. So if a guy is a rookie and a backup but doesn't see the field Day 1, but does get to play eventually due to a starters injury, does that not qualify him? I'm just saying, its a silly way to judge draft picks. I get it, you want to get players that can make an immediate impact in the early part of the draft. But is they down;t, it should not deem them busts or bad picks, or whatever, without looking at circumstances. This was true of Hack  and could very well be true of another draft pick Macc makes in the first 3 rounds, particularly if its along the O-line. 

i dont think the jets should pick anyone with plans to redshirt the 1st year of a 4 year rookie contract unless that is absolute best option based on available players in that round on their board which i highly doubt would be case.  Redshirting a QB is fine but a T no - just get one next year or use one of the 5th round thru 7th round picks on a guy you plan to be back up anyway.

as far as Obi - not a fan  - I hope they go with a Budda Baker or Josh Jones instead both of which would see field day 1.

and no thanks on any injuried CBs - just take a healthy one or pass until next year.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Remember when Idzik was oh so great at the draft because we had six starters in 2013?  Milliner, Richardson, Geno, Winters and Bohanon?  Whoo de damn doo.  Only two are even still on the team and we want one of them gone. 

i was pissed when he drafted Geno and I was pissed we did not draft any off playmakers...

Archived