Brad Kayaa

SR24

Why are so many people down on him? Seems like he could be a solid qb. I don't really follow college or know how to evaluate qbs though but from the tape and stats I've seen he looks pretty good! Curious why he's not talked about as much as the others

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Kaaya, but I think he has a lower ceiling than the other QBs. But he's also safer that the others (lower floor). Guys like that don't go high.

As far as his play on the field, the biggest problem with Kaaya is his pocket presence (or lack thereof). He looks great when he has a clean pocket, but the slightest bit of pressure and he's a deer in headlights. Plus he isn't all that mobile.

But I like him more than some of the other QBs that are more hyped up (Mahomes, Webb) and he'd be perfect for a team like the Giants or Chiefs who could draft him in the 3rd or 4th and have him sit for a bit until he's ready.

58 minutes ago, King P said:

I like Kaaya, but I think he has a lower ceiling than the other QBs. But he's also safer that the others (lower floor). Guys like that don't go high.

As far as his play on the field, the biggest problem with Kaaya is his pocket presence (or lack thereof). He looks great when he has a clean pocket, but the slightest bit of pressure and he's a deer in headlights. Plus he isn't all that mobile.

But I like him more than some of the other QBs that are more hyped up (Mahomes, Webb) and he'd be perfect for a team like the Giants or Chiefs who could draft him in the 3rd or 4th and have him sit for a bit until he's ready.

Hit the nail on the head. Great kid too. Bye Felicia...(if you get it)

Canes season ticket holder here..I love Kaaya..but he is maddingly inconsistent. 

Prototypical size for an NFL QB..but very inconsistent. I've been skeptical of the play calling at times this year in Miami..they should've let him sling it more. 

I think he can play at the next level but not right away.

He can make all the throws though. He's had the fortune of throwing to Hurns, Dorset, Njoku and last year's freshman phenom Ahman Richards. 

Passing on Watson at 6 and then taking Kaaya in the 3rd seems like it's right in Maccagnan's wheelhouse.

A Peterman or Kaaya in the 3/4 round so sounds like a Mac move and this year he won't get roasted by many(still some of course) if he does so. Well as long as his first picks aren't total disasters.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using JetNation.com mobile app

12 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Passing on Watson at 6 and then taking Kaaya in the 3rd seems like it's right in Maccagnan's wheelhouse.

The infatuation this site has with spurning QBs in the first round for that black unicorn in the middle rounds is the most time-honored of JN traditions. It's the real-life equivalent of foregoing the boat for the mystery box that could be a boat. 

16 hours ago, SR24 said:

Why are so many people down on him? Seems like he could be a solid qb. I don't really follow college or know how to evaluate qbs though but from the tape and stats I've seen he looks pretty good! Curious why he's not talked about as much as the others

Have you watched him play in college? Guy was all over the place. Very inconsistent. Reminds me of people talking up EJ Manuel. If you can't make it look easy in College,  it's not going to get better in the pros. Then again, Dak Prescott wasn't that great in college either. 

Kayaa should be a 4th round QB. 

7 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

The infatuation this site has with spurning QBs in the first round for that black unicorn in the middle rounds is the most time-honored of JN traditions. It's the real-life equivalent of foregoing the boat for the mystery box that could be a boat. 

Sometimes passing on Ej Manuel/Ponder type QB prospects is the smart move when you can find a similar talent in later rounds. This draft class is filled with question marks. I have nothing against Trubisky/Watzon/Kizer but just look at Goff. He wasn't a sure fire guy (like a Luck/Cam/Winston). He rose to the top because he was the best QB prospect. I am pretty sure the Rams wish they waited to take a QB in the 4th round last year....

If Trubisky/Watson came out next year they would be second round picks. Guys like Rudolph/Allen/Rosen and the golden child are all INFINITELY better QB prospects. 

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Sometimes passing on Ej Manuel/Ponder type QB prospects is the smart move when you can find a similar talent in later rounds. This draft class is filled with question marks. I have nothing against Trubisky/Watzon/Kizer but just look at Goff. He wasn't a sure fire guy (like a Luck/Cam/Winston). He rose to the top because he was the best QB prospect. I am pretty sure the Rams wish they waited to take a QB in the 4th round last year....

If Trubisky/Watson came out next year they would be second round picks. Guys like Rudolph/Allen/Rosen and the golden child are all INFINITELY better QB prospects. 

Totally. Because history totally suggests that the quarterbacks that you are touting now, are totally going to be the same guys you are talking about exactly in one year. It's a cycle. Just read every draft thread for the last decade. You have the opportunity to draft a guy like Watson and you don't because of some CB and mid-round QB prospect, it's a flat-out mistake. There's no way around it. 

27 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

its called finding value smart guy

5 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Totally. Because history totally suggests that the quarterbacks that you are touting now, are totally going to be the same guys you are talking about exactly in one year. It's a cycle. Just read every draft thread for the last decade.

What do you mean DeShone Kizer isn't going to the consensus #1 overall pick?  :lol:

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Brad Kaaya was last year's Sam Darnold 

Example 100 why waiting for next year is never a good idea

Nah, better to draft a safety this year because next year there are like 8 amazing quarterbacks. I know this because I read draft blogs and watched some college football this year, so don't try disagreeing with me.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I disagree, hey every year there is the guy who is hot coming into a college year that falters but not waiting when the guys in this draft are not so good is also a recipe for disaster.

That is how teams over draft the lockers, ponders, gabberts etc etc etc.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Yep!  I remember the oh so talented Tod McShay had him as the #1QB and a top 5 pick this time last year. 

I know it's a ridiculous statement, but his name isn't very QB'ish.  All successful QB's have good QB names.  It's kind of like Mario's "door test" in A Bronx Tale.  It sounds silly, but the "door test"  is time proven. :D So are QB names.  But then again, I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I know it's a ridiculous statement, but his name isn't very QB'ish.  All successful QB's have good QB names.  It's kind of like Mario's "door test" in A Bronx Tale.  It sounds silly, but the "door test"  is time proven. :D So are QB names.  But then again, I could be wrong.

I feel the opposite. If your name sounds like the sound you make when you execute a karate move, that's probably a good sign.

Every QB that plays college ball in ideal climates can't play in the north east . The Jets need a QB who's capable of cutting the ball through the cold winds in NY, Buffalo and that other city up north where those cheats play . 

9 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Every QB that plays college ball in ideal climates can't play in the north east . The Jets need a QB who's capable of cutting the ball through the cold winds in NY, Buffalo and that other city up north where those cheats play . 

oh hell yeah

6_3765479.jpg

1 hour ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Totally. Because history totally suggests that the quarterbacks that you are touting now, are totally going to be the same guys you are talking about exactly in one year. It's a cycle. Just read every draft thread for the last decade. You have the opportunity to draft a guy like Watson and you don't because of some CB and mid-round QB prospect, it's a flat-out mistake. There's no way around it. 

I love the guys that act as if guys like Darnold and Rosen are on even playing fields as Watson and Trubisky. Some people are clearly NFL fans and watch very little college football. Look, Watson could be great. Just like Dak turned out to be great. But there are plenty of problems with Watson, one of them being a fairly weak arm playing in northeast in the winter. 

Watson may end up being a franchise QB, or Trubisky, or Mahommes or Kizer. Who knows with this group. They all carry big question marks. It's simply not a great year to draft a QB high. It's a crap shoot. Some years are less of a crap shoot than others. Next year will be a MUCH better year to draft QBs. So I'd rather use the 6th pick on a higher ranked prospect and go after one of the kids next year. 

I am not even advocating the Jets drafting Kayaa. I don't like him, but I'd rather blow a pick on QB in the 4th than a 1st when they are all question marks/projects this year.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am not even advocating the Jets drafting Kayaa. I don't like him, but I'd rather blow a pick on QB in the 4th than a 1st when they are all question marks/projects this year.

the Jets have been using non-first round picks on QBs for years. it  never works out. the only decent QB's they've drafted in the last 20 years were Chad and Sanchez. Every other 2nd-4th round project has been worthless

bottom line if you aren't drafting a QB in the first round you are probably drafting a backup. Yeah yeh I know Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott etc but for for every  one of those guys there's like a dozen Geno Smiths and Kellen Clemens. 

Just now, bitonti said:

the Jets have been using non-first round picks on QBs for years. it  never works out. the only decent QB's they've drafted in the last 20 years were Chad and Sanchez. Every other 2nd-4th round project has been worthless

bottom line if you aren't drafting a QB in the first round you are probably drafting a backup. Yeah yeh I know Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott etc but for for every  one of those guys there's like a dozen Geno Smiths and Kellen Clemens. 

No one wants this team to draft a franchise QB more than me. But taking the next Goff/Manuel/Ponder/Locker/Gabbert is just foolish with a top 6 pick. We haven't been lucky enough to draft high in a year with great QB prospects. That is the case this year. That is why draft boards have Watson at 4 or 6 or 12 or 16. He's just not that good. His arm isn't all that great. But some of you are so desperate for a franchise QB that you will latch on to the guy that won the National Title. That's a mistake. 

Be patient. Build a really good young team through the draft and snag the QB next year when the guys are far more talented/ready. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Nah, better to draft a safety this year because next year there are like 8 amazing quarterbacks. I know this because I read draft blogs and watched some college football this year, so don't try disagreeing with me.

This. ^

because listening to experts in the field, then the people whom spend countless hours evaluating and then of course maybe even trying to watch the prospects play is....pllllippssspp *snorts, lame-O

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

LMAO at this nonsense. Really? Comparing Kayaa to Darnold? Classic Jets fan that knows nothing about college football outside of what he reads in this forum. Just because a guy is projected to be the best QB in the following years draft class doesn't mean that he is therefore equally rated as Andrew Luck was the year before he came out.  If you read that Kayaa was the best prospect, it was because he was competing against inferior prospects like Watson and Kizer. 

Just about every year there is a QB or 2 taken in the top 10. That doesn't mean they are equally gifted. Goff and Luck were taken number 1. Does that mean scouts/experts thought they were equally talented? Is that  how you analyze this stuff? 

23 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There's this persistent idea that the Jets--the Jets--are somehow going to outsmart everyone else in the draft.

24 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No one wants this team to draft a franchise QB more than me. But taking the next Goff/Manuel/Ponder/Locker/Gabbert is just foolish with a top 6 pick. We haven't been lucky enough to draft high in a year with great QB prospects. That is the case this year. That is why draft boards have Watson at 4 or 6 or 12 or 16. He's just not that good. His arm isn't all that great. But some of you are so desperate for a franchise QB that you will latch on to the guy that won the National Title. That's a mistake. 

Be patient. Build a really good young team through the draft and snag the QB next year when the guys are far more talented/ready. 

Was curious as to your previous views (like going into last years draft). So I went and took a look.

To your credit, you've been consistent.  You've been down hard on Watson (for example) from the beginning.  You talked up Trubisky at one point, but not with any passion.

What I do see if you've been a solid supporter of Hackenberg since well before we drafted him.  You (like me as well) liked Cook as well it seemed.

So I suppose if you believe Hack can be "the man", you'd logically not want a QB this year at all. 

You imply you watch alot of college ball, I'm curious what you see in Hack (today) that makes you think he's a legitimate guy those of us who doubt he'll ever come round shold believe in.  Seems this years crap all mostly have better college resumes, far more success, and far less excuses than Hack had last year, but you were (and still are it seems) solid behind Hack.  Why is that?

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

LMAO at this nonsense. Really? Comparing Kayaa to Darnold? Classic Jets fan that knows nothing about college football outside of what he reads in this forum. Just because a guy is projected to be the best QB in the following years draft class doesn't mean that he is therefore equally rated as Andrew Luck was the year before he came out.  If you read that Kayaa was the best prospect, it was because he was competing against inferior prospects like Watson and Kizer. 

Just about every year there is a QB or 2 taken in the top 10. That doesn't mean they are equally gifted. Goff and Luck were taken number 1. Does that mean scouts/experts thought they were equally talented? Is that  how you analyze this stuff? 

You think Bit don't watch college football  ? That's funny .

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

DRob.  Nuff' said.  ;)

It should be noted Drob started 5 years 16 games each year and had actual stats, 16 career sacks, most of them with the Jets

people also forget Josh Evans was suspended and that particular draft was very weak (The picks they traded ended us as Michael Bennett and Rex Grossman)

In other words, Drob was no Gholston 

THe bottom line is there's no QB worth taking at 6 and the team already has two unknown, young, talented QBs on the team that were both drafted relatively early enough to garner giving them a shot over whatever's available in this draft. Seeing that there seems to be a consensus in the draft community next year's QB class will be better and the Jets will almost assuredly suck this year it makes perfect ******* sense not adding another young, talented anomaly to the roster until you see what you have in the two you already have. 

Archived