Jets' Woody Johnson at NFL owners meeting with brother Christopher Wold Johnson

Gas2No99

Jets' Woody Johnson at NFL owners meeting with brother Christopher Wold Johnson

updated March 26, 2017 at 8:06 PM
NFL: Super Bowl LI-NFL Honors

PHOENIX -- Woody Johnson is still the owner of the Jets. As he said during the Super Bowl, he is not officially the United States' ambassador to the United Kingdom, even though President Donald Trump essentially named him as such during a January press conference. 

But Johnson is attending the NFL owners meetings ... with brother Christopher Wold Johnson and team president Neil Glat. A report in January indicated Johnson's brother would take over day-to-day control of the Jets if and when Woody was named ambassador. Glat would also presumably assume a larger role as well. 

Christopher and Glat have not been in attendance for the owners meetings in recent years. 

Johnson wouldn't comment on his possible role as ambassador or the state of the Jets. He doesn't have any scheduled media availability during the owners meetings.

Johnson bought the Jets in 2000, and has been a relatively involved owner since. Under his ownership, the Jets haven't experienced much success, though. They've made the playoffs six times in 17 years under Johnson. They have a record of 132-140 in the regular season (136-146 overall) in his time as owner. They're currently in a six-year playoff drought -- their longest since 1992-1997. Their record over the past six seasons is 41-55. 

As an ambassador, Johnson's primary goal will be to present American policies to the U.K., and U.K. policies back to the U.S. He's the main channel of communication between the two countries. He can also play a role in treaty negotiations, directing diplomatic trade activity, visa services and will oversee cultural relations. This, obviously, will prevent Johnson from being involved in day-to-day operations of the Jets. Which is why Christopher would take over. 

Woody would still be the owner of the Jets, and still likely have a say in any major, significant changes involving the franchise. Jets ever think about signing Kaepernick?

Christopher Wold Johnson is 58, 12 years younger than Woody. He's Woody's only living brother. He has never worked for the Johnson and Johnson company, the family business. Christopher isn't as visible in the Republican political landscape as Woody. But check out this 2008 John McCain presidential campaign event document published by The Washington Post. Woody is listed as the event's chairman, while Mr. and Mrs. Christopher W. Johnson are listed as the event's co-chairmen, along with many others.

Woody Johnson has long been a prominent Republican fundraiser. After initially supporting Jeb Bush's campaign during the primary, Johnson shifted his support to Trump when he secured the nomination. (Johnson initially was the national finance chairman for Bush's failed campaign.)

Johnson served as vice chairman of Trump's victory committee. Johnson also hosted high-dollar fundraisers for Trump's campaign. Plus, Johnson is on Trump's inaugural committee. Incoming presidents typically reward big-money supporters with ambassador posts like this.

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com.

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

4AC6A9B8-5825-4806-8052-498F945A81D0_zps

It's all good. 

SAR I

is that woody's brother in his warhol phase?  i don't know about the jets ownership. in some ways woody has don'e some really good things but in others it's more like the team is his toy and he just doesn't have a real clue about management.  i think i'd prefer an owner more in the jerry jones/kraft mode who really clawed their way to where they are and know how to make hard decisions and be accountable.  hess certainly clawed his way up in the oil business but he was too disinterested in the daily team business.  oh well, i don't think woody is going anywhere anytime soon.

THIS...............

Johnson bought the Jets in 2000, and has been a relatively involved owner since. Under his ownership, the Jets haven't experienced much success, though. They've made the playoffs six times in 17 years under Johnson. They have a record of 132-140 in the regular season (136-146 overall) in his time as owner. They're currently in a six-year playoff drought -- their longest since 1992-1997. Their record over the past six seasons is 41-55. 

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

THIS...............

give credit where it's due.  woody may not be the best owner but the jets, in spite of it all, have actually made the playoffs at least as much as an average team in the nfl and got to the afc champ game twice.  and woody has done a lot of good things like upgrade the practice facilities and even the stadium is an improvement over the previous. of course it looks much bleaker since the tam is in a the middle of a 6 year drought. it could be worse and it does look like it's getting better.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

give credit where it's due.  woody may not be the best owner but the jets, in spite of it all, have actually made the playoffs at least as much as an average team in the nfl and got to the afc champ game twice.  and woody has done a lot of good things like upgrade the practice facilities and even the stadium is an improvement over the previous. of course it looks much bleaker since the tam is in a the middle of a 6 year drought. it could be worse and it does look like it's getting better.

We are below 500 under Woody .....    have hosted one playoff game, have appointed rookie coach and rookie GM one after the other for below average results.  yes....  we could be the Browns but most of America sees us as a bottom 5 team.  

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

We are below 500 under Woody .....    have hosted one playoff game, have appointed rookie coach and rookie GM one after the other for below average results.  yes....  we could be the Browns but most of America sees us as a bottom 5 team.  

i guess you didn't see much of the 70's.  now that was a playoff drought.  and the 80's had some really good players but the team still didn't have a long string of playoff appearances.  and the first part of the 90's were plenty forgettable.  i'm not saying this team is having salad days with woody as owner but it could be far worse.  and woody has improved the training facilities and the stadium.

41 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i guess you didn't see much of the 70's.  now that was a playoff drought.  and the 80's had some really good players but the team still didn't have a long string of playoff appearances.  and the first part of the 90's were plenty forgettable.  i'm not saying this team is having salad days with woody as owner but it could be far worse.  and woody has improved the training facilities and the stadium.

I'm in my 50s....   I've lived through it all.   we are a below average team....  that's Woodys legacy.  

I care not about practice facilities, PSLs, etc.   Teams that hit rock bottom have won in Woodys time. 

Former Browns , Saints, Bucs have all won a SB.  PAnthers have been to two. cardinals one.   

WE are a bottom team with good practice facilities.  That I concede. 

22 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I'm in my 50s....   I've lived through it all.   we are a below average team....  that's Woodys legacy.  

I care not about practice facilities, PSLs, etc.   Teams that hit rock bottom have won in Woodys time. 

Former Browns , Saints, Bucs have all won a SB.  PAnthers have been to two. cardinals one.   

WE are a bottom team with good practice facilities.  That I concede. 

keep the faith.

Archived