Jamal Adams and Tre'Davious White

JetFanatic

For the people who aren't big into college football these two were the starting safety (Adams) and cornerback (White) for LSU this past season.  LSU had a top 5 defense in terms of yards allowed in all of college football and they were standouts on that defense.  I happened to stumble across these guys on NFL Total Access and they seem like good kids and are very talented.  It's a real possibility that the Jets have a shot at picking Adams at 6 and then picking White with their 2nd round pick.  Would anyone be on board for that?  Especially when the familiarity they already have with each other it could be an added bonus for the secondary. 

Adams is a Brian Dawkins type leader and no-nonsense player. I would love to have him on the Jets but I imagine he'll be gone before we pick.

I would be on board with Adams. The Jets need a secondary as bad as they do a quarterback.

1 minute ago, JetFanatic said:

For the people who aren't big into college football these two were the starting safety (Adams) and cornerback (White) for LSU this past season.  LSU had a top 5 defense in terms of yards allowed in all of college football and they were standouts on that defense.  I happened to stumble across these guys on NFL Total Access and they seem like good kids and are very talented.  It's a real possibility that the Jets have a shot at picking Adams at 6 and then picking White with their 2nd round pick.  Would anyone be on board for that?  Especially when the familiarity they already have with each other it could be an added bonus for the secondary. 

LSU pro day next week I think - we may get an indication of jets interest there.  I think there is also a sleeper on LSU Dwayne Thomas which I think he could be a good Nickle\FS he would come cheap because of a checkered past.

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

Adams is a Brian Dawkins type leader and no-nonsense player. I would love to have him on the Jets but I imagine he'll be gone before we pick.

I would be on board with Adams. The Jets need a secondary as bad as they do a quarterback.

If the 49ers or the Bears go with a QB there's a real shot Adams can fall to us.  That would be a huge piece to have back there manning the secondary.  No-nonsense is the best way to explain what he's all about.

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

LSU pro day next week I think - we may get an indication of jets interest there.  I think there is also a sleeper on LSU Dwayne Thomas which I think he could be a good Nickle\FS he would come cheap because of a checkered past.

I'll most definitely be keeping an eye on their pro days.  They would be two nice additions.  I've heard of this Thomas kid.  I'm all for the kids with the checkered pasts.  It makes it a better story when a coaching staff can change them for the better as men on top of making them successful on the field.

5 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

How long do we have to be one of the worst offensive teams in the NFL before we start doing something, anything, to fix the problem?

Sure, CB is a need.  So is Safety, but IMO no Safety is worth a top 6 pick.  The effect they have on the game is simply not enough, hell even a CB doesn't effect the game enough, just look at Revis.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

How long do we have to be one of the worst offensive teams in the NFL before we start doing something, anything, to fix the problem?

Sure, CB is a need.  So is Safety, but IMO no Safety is worth a top 6 pick.  The effect they have on the game is simply not enough, hell even a CB doesn't effect the game enough, just look at Revis.

I've just been throwing out different possible scenarios for the draft with them going defense with their 1st and 2nd pick depending on who's available.  I've also thrown out a few scenarios where they go with O.J Howard with the 6th pick and going with whoever falls out of Cook (injury/off the field issues), McCaffrey (no clue why he isn't considered a top 10 pick), or Mixon (character) with their 2nd pick to bolster the offense.  

I'm just trying to pass time until the draft comes by throwing out every possible scenario 

Just now, Warfish said:

I am sitting here reading this and thinking the same thing. The NFL is an offensive league. We can keep sinking resources into our defense that doesn't seem to improve and neglect the offense and we will still be in the same situation next year, and the year after. We need to start building an offense that can put up points and control a game. Until we find the QB of the future we will just be stuck in the 5-11 to 9-7 season range with the occasional outlier.

We have to start trying to find a legit QB, that means drafting, or trading for one. Letting that player get on the field to see if he is, or can be a legit starting, franchise QB.

I like Adams and yes, I would like him as a JETS player - don't know if I want a Safety at 6, I think White is going to be a slot CB. 

Fitz first year with us we certainly were not one of the worse offenses in the NFL not that any of us really appreciated how well our offense played. As for taking a safety at pick 6 I'm not a huge fan of the idea but if the kid ended up being the next troy polamalu for us he would be well worth a 6 overall obviously I'm not comparing them but a servicable safety at 6 would end up being better than a te or qb that ends up being a bust.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

If adams is there at 6 they almost have to take him. White could be a first rounder and not there when the Jets pick again. In general there's a ton of decent CB in this class, so while it might not be White, they will probably get one in the first 3 rds. 

Adams is a bonafide leader and player , White struggled some last year , he's a great athlete but IMO still a work in progress as a true corner. LSU has produced a lot of great cornerbacks and I feel White is being overhpyed by school reputation. He can develop into a high quality corner because he's notably an easy kid to work with but I'd be leery of using a 2nd rd pick on him.

As SJF mentioned above Dwayne Thomas also from LSU is someone that may be a nice late round or UDFA pickup, watch this kids tape from the Bama game, perhaps the best defensive player on the field that day. 

White will be tremendous in press coverage.  I'd love the Jets to grab him somehow. Now  I think he'll go earlier than projected.  I was pissed when he was taken a couple of picks before me in round 2 of the JN mock. Made me reach for a need.  I didn't think I needed to trade up.  

55 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If adams is there at 6 they almost have to take him. White could be a first rounder and not there when the Jets pick again. In general there's a ton of decent CB in this class, so while it might not be White, they will probably get one in the first 3 rds. 

If the Jets draft Adams and Pryor is still on this team, who sits ?

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

then who sits there, Lee or Harris  ?

I was being sarcastic with that response. I think that if they take Adams they kinda screwed with pryor. Maybe have him gain 10-15 lbs and move him to LB similar to what the Rams did with Mark Barron??? 

I honestly have no idea,

20 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

If the Jets draft Adams and Pryor is still on this team, who sits ?

If Pryor is not traded, he and Adams basically play S and then Pryor's option is declined.  Gilcrist is cut, and the Jets look for a true FS lower in the draft or next year.

John Johnson from BC is actually projected as a 4-5 rounder as a FS, for example.

Adams is obviously a stud but a true rookie.  Let Pryor play the more true SS role and get beat up.  Can also play Middleton and Martin behind him.  Adams can get accliimated playing more like a FS.  He will get burned a bit, but hopefully it is an improvement from last year.  

2 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

If the Jets by some miracle walk away with both Adams, and White I'd be ecstatic!

I know most here would lose their sh*t taking 2 more dmen in the first 2 rounds, but these 2 would go a long way to help start the rebuild, advancing the defense to good enough to win status on 2018 if there is an average to above average offense (I.E. a good QB at the helm).

2 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

If the 49ers or the Bears go with a QB there's a real shot Adams can fall to us.  That would be a huge piece to have back there manning the secondary.  No-nonsense is the best way to explain what he's all about.

I just don't see Tennessee passing on Adams.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Just 1 more season ?

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Just 1 more season ?

Darnold doesn't declare for draft... Rosen re-injures shoulder, honestly what is the update with his shoulder and nerve issue... we pick 4th, then what? lol

2 hours ago, Stark said:

I am sitting here reading this and thinking the same thing. The NFL is an offensive league. We can keep sinking resources into our defense that doesn't seem to improve and neglect the offense and we will still be in the same situation next year, and the year after. We need to start building an offense that can put up points and control a game. Until we find the QB of the future we will just be stuck in the 5-11 to 9-7 season range with the occasional outlier.

We have to start trying to find a legit QB, that means drafting, or trading for one. Letting that player get on the field to see if he is, or can be a legit starting, franchise QB.

I like Adams and yes, I would like him as a JETS player - don't know if I want a Safety at 6, I think White is going to be a slot CB. 

I agree about the offense, but your just gonna set your team back a few more years forcing offensive selections who are maybes, hope so's, only if's, with the right coach, and system nonsense.

If the strength of the draft when you pick is at Safety, and CB when you pick to big needs you take them plug, and play.

The Giants went 11-5 this year scoring like 11 ppg it seemed like at times because of a stout secondary.

I went the big time QB, WR, and 30 point offensive machine, but I just don't see anyone in the top of this draft that will start the road to developing that, hopefully this time next year all the conjecture about the offensive talent pool specifically QB in the 2018 draft reigns true, and the Jets can build the O to match the D.

One can dream.

So because our offense isnt good, which is mainly due to putrid QB play, we should force offensive players as picks?  How does that make any logical sense.

We have a young stable of WRs to pair with Decker - Enunwa, Peake, Anderson, Devin Smith.  Enunwa is already a very good player and should get extended. After that, one of Peake/Anderson/Smith and even Jalin Marshall should become productive players.  Our problem is QB and this is not the draft to take one at 6.

We have major needs in the secondary, specifically at safety and this draft happens to offer 2 excellent safety prospects.  I would be very happy with either Hooker or Adams and also have no problem taking another safety later on (personal favorite is Eddie Jackson from Alabama) to pair with one of these guys and solidify the position for the next 5 years.

As for Pryor, I think having him add weight and play a hybrid role would be smart, but if we take Adams and it means pryor barely plays, then so be it.

5 minutes ago, Stark said:

Darnold doesn't declare for draft... Rosen re-injures shoulder, honestly what is the update with his shoulder and nerve issue... we pick 4th, then what? lol

WR Cortlans Sutton, WR Calvin Ridley, WR Christian Kirk, OT Mike McGlinchey to name a few really talented guys coming out possibly next draft to go with the 3 QB's that are possible studs in Darnold, Rosen, and Josh Allen.

Plenty of talent to pick from.

22 minutes ago, varjet said:

If Pryor is not traded, he and Adams basically play S and then Pryor's option is declined.  Gilcrist is cut, and the Jets look for a true FS lower in the draft or next year.

John Johnson from BC is actually projected as a 4-5 rounder as a FS, for example.

Adams is obviously a stud but a true rookie.  Let Pryor play the more true SS role and get beat up.  Can also play Middleton and Martin behind him.  Adams can get accliimated playing more like a FS.  He will get burned a bit, but hopefully it is an improvement from last year.  

Neither of these guys are a free safety so there's that .

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Neither of these guys are a free safety so there's that .

Yeah if you take Adams that's the end of Pryor, you try and trade him for anything day 3.  Don't make the mistake of playing a stud like Adams out of position hampering his development.  Then that brings us to the next problem which is there is no FS on the Jets now, well a true FS that is actually capable of starting, and not being a complete disaster.

I'd even consider Budda Baker in 2nd, or a FS prospect in 3rd.

I'd prefer Hooker in 1st for Jets, and let Pryor finish out his 4th year on his rookie deal, and draft a CB in Rd 2 then grab TE, OL, and/or RB in Rd 3.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah if you take Adams that's the end of Pryor, you try and trade him for anything day 3.  Don't make the mistake of playing a stud like Adams out of position hampering his development.  Then that brings us to the next problem which is there is no FS on the Jets now, well a true FS that is actually capable of starting, and not being a complete disaster.

I'd even consider Budda Baker in 2nd, or a FS prospect in 3rd.

I'd prefer Hooker in 1st for Jets, and let Pryor finish out his 4th year on his rookie deal, and draft a CB in Rd 2 then grab TE, OL, and/or RB in Rd 3.

So in other words a draft like Hooker in the 1st round, Tre'Davious White/Quincy Wilson in the 2nd, and Jordan Leggett and Pocic in the 3rd?  I would quickly sign up for that!

The more I think of it the more I think the top of the draft scarily goes like this:

Cleveland:  Myles Garrett

San Fran:  Deshaun Watson

Chicago:  Malik Hooker

Jaguars:  Leonard Fournette

Titans:  Jamal Adams

Jets:  ???

Well not so scarily because all I want them to do is stay away from any QB so hopefully after trying to trade the pick they end up going with O.J Howard.  I think he's the safest pick here and helps whoever the quarterback is and helps the receivers.

6 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

Great post - i saw the show and they are good kids. and good, tough. Proud. The safety would be awesome. 

8 minutes ago, jetsfansince7 said:

Great post - i saw the show and they are good kids. and good, tough. Proud. The safety would be awesome. 

I would love to have Adams he is such a leader and would be an excellent person to have in that secondary for years

On 3/28/2017 at 3:14 PM, JetFanatic said:

The more I think of it the more I think the top of the draft scarily goes like this:

Well not so scarily because all I want them to do is stay away from any QB so hopefully after trying to trade the pick they end up going with O.J Howard.  I think he's the safest pick here and helps whoever the quarterback is and helps the receivers.

There is no choice but to take Trubisky, or at least threaten to and trade it.  

On 3/28/2017 at 3:14 PM, JetFanatic said:

That scenario would be just like 2015 when Leo fell to 6.  Jonathan Allen and Solomon Thomas are ranked right up in the top 5 almost everywhere. 

Archived