Bowles Presser at Owner's Meeting

C Mart

Rich Cimini‏ @RichCimini 

Bowles on Hackenberg: "This year he has a chance to play and they'll be some pep in his step." #Jets

Bowles reiterates #Jets aren't rebuilding, just "building." Says "we lost a lot of names," but feels replacements can do the job.

Kimberley A. Martin‏ @KMart_LI

Bowles mentions loss of big-name + productive guys like Marshall, Revis, Breno, Mangold, but says #Jets have talent to be "competitive"

Eric Allen‏ @eallenjets

Todd Bowles says there will be competition for the starting QB position between McCown, Hackenberg and Petty

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rich Cimini‏ @RichCimini

Bowles on whether he's worried about players on road trip to Las Vegas: "I'm worried about coaches." Joking.

Bowles: Brandon Shell currently a right tackle. Doesn't rule out switch to left tackle. (Not likely.)

Bowles on Wilkerson: "I'm sure he played hurt most of the year." Expects him to rebound if healthy.

Bowles says he expects Devin Smith to be in the mix at WR. Hints that Jalin Marshall's suspension could hurt place on depth chart.

Bowles: "I don't worry about the Patriots in March. That's not in my life span right now."

Do you expect Sheldon Richardson to be on 2017 roster? Bowles: I expect all the guys to be on the roster right now

Bowles mentions loss of big-name + productive guys like Marshall, Revis, Breno, Mangold, but says #Jets have talent to be "competitive"

Bowles said #Jets "took a flier" on CB Morris Claiborne and if he can stay healthy they'll be happy

Rich Cimini‏ @RichCimini 
Bowles on Hackenberg: "This year he has a chance to play and they'll be some pep in his step." #Jets
Bowles reiterates #Jets aren't rebuilding, just "building." Says "we lost a lot of names," but feels replacements can do the job.

Eric Allen‏ @eallenjets
Todd Bowles says there will be competition for the starting QB position between McCown, Hackenberg and Petty

This just screams "McCown is starting"

Fire Bowles now!

/sarcasm

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If we trot McCown out as starter I will be pissed. We need to evaluate the young QB's we have and make a decision on them (this is assuming that we do not draft a QB this year). McCown should not see the field at all unless we have a catastrophic injury riddled season and he is forced to play. 

If we go into the season as is, we need to let Petty and Hack play and get a true on the field evaluation.

If we draft a QB then let the rookie and Petty and Hack battle it out and cut the loser before the season begins.

Rich Cimini‏ @RichCimini

Bowles still believes David Harris can still play at a high level: "He's our leader out there on the field." #Jets

Dan Leberfeld‏ @jetswhispers

"Me and the other 31 teams?" - Todd Bowles asked by NE reporter what Jets need to do to bridge gap with Pats

Kimberley A. Martin‏ @KMart_LI

What would Todd Bowles think if Darrelle Revis joined the #Patriots? "That'd be great for him. I'm a big Revis fan."

Bowles: "There is a scenario" where Jets could draft a QB at No. 6

Bowles won't say #Jets are "done" addressing the QB position, but he's comfortable with keeping Josh McCown as only veteran

Bob Glauber‏ @BobGlauber

Browns coach Hue Jackson thinks highly of Josh McCown, now with Jets. Jackson says McCown is solid as a player & great mentor for young QBs.

PHOENIX – Even if Josh McCown doesn’t end up winning the Jets’ starting quarterback job, he’ll still prove to be a valuable asset in the 2017 season. So says Browns coach Hue Jackson, who believes the Jets not only are getting a solid player in McCown, but a terrific locker room leader.

“They are getting, first of all, a tremendous locker room guy and person,” said Jackson, who coached McCown last season in Cleveland. “Great character. He’s a tremendous leader. Josh knows how to play the game. If they need him to help a younger guy, he’s going to do that extremely well. If they need him to play, he’ll step out there and play.”

Jackson offered glowing praise of the 37-year-old McCown, this despite the fact that the Browns opted not to retain the veteran quarterback. But the Browns clearly are targeting a young quarterback, whether it’s in the draft or perhaps Patriots backup Jimmy Garoppolo, so McCown didn’t figure into their future plans.

The Jets signed McCown to a one-year, $6 million deal, and while coach Todd Bowles said Tuesday that there will be an open quarterback competition in training camp, McCown will at least have the early advantage over Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. The Jets also are closely studying this year’s draft-eligible quarterbacks, but even if they did take another passer in the early rounds, McCown still would have the clearest path to become the starter.

McCown is just 2-20 over his last three seasons, including a combined 1-10 in two seasons with the Browns. Jackson, hired by the Browns last season, went with Robert Griffin III as his starter going into last season, but Griffin was injured in the first game. McCown wound up playing in five games and went 0-3 as a starter, suffering a broken collarbone on Sept. 23. He returned on Oct. 30, but started only two more games the rest of the season.

“Last year, to me, wasn’t even close to what Josh can be as a quarterback,” Jackson said. “I still think there’s something in there.”

Jackson approached McCown about becoming a Browns’ assistant coach. And although McCown expressed a desire to continue playing, Jackson believes he would make a terrific NFL coach down the road.

“I’ve watched him do a good job of mentoring the young quarterbacks we had on our team, from Robert (Griffin) all the way down to Kevin Hogan,” Jackson said. “I thought he did a great job. Here’s a guy that knows our system, loves football. I don’t think he was ready to give up football. He loves to compete, loves being with the guys, preparing and doing those things. That’s who he is. But some day, he’ll hopefully coach in this league, and I think he’ll do a great job.”

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-qb-josh-mccown-is-a-great-locker-room-guy-browns-head-coach-hue-jackson-says-1.13328079?utm_content=bufferf79ac&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Rich Cimini‏ @RichCimini 

Bowles: "There is a scenario" where the #Jets could take a QB at 6. Asked which one he likes best, he said, "Roger Staubach."

Bowles says Claiborne has "history of fluke injuries ... We think we got a good one if he can stay healthy. That remains to be seen."

28 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Dan Leberfeld‏ @jetswhispers

"What doesn't get out to y'all?" - Todd Bowles chuckling when asked about locker room issues getting out to the media.

Not funny.  Thats his fault. 

25 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Rich Cimini‏ @RichCimini

Bowles still believes David Harris can still play at a high level: "He's our leader out there on the field." #Jets

Holy sh*t man.

20 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Bob Glauber‏ @BobGlauber

Browns coach Hue Jackson thinks highly of Josh McCown, now with Jets. Jackson says McCown is solid as a player & great mentor for young QBs.

"QB Mentoring" is sportswriter bullsheet, not reality. 

35 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

What'd he say about sucking for Sam?

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Kimberley A. Martin‏ @KMart_LI

Bowles says he will be "heavily more involved" in the #Jets offense this year

Welp that answers my question.

Darnold it is!

41 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Rich Cimini‏ @RichCimini

"Me and the other 31 teams?" - Todd Bowles asked by NE reporter what Jets need to do to bridge gap with Pats

th?id=OIP.0jRIW8eFWdhE_lBq5xROdAEsEU&pid 

Did anyone catch at the end of the presser, one of the reporters asked a question about the Yankees and then started ribbing Bowles on his answer. Bowles suggested the reporter was a Red Sox fan but was corrected that the reporter was a Mets fan. Bowles said, "It's okay to be the little sister". I wonder if the irony was lost on him? 

48 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Rich Cimini‏ @RichCimini

Is he coaching a new team?

3 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Did anyone catch at the end of the presser, one of the reporters asked a question about the Yankees and then started ribbing Bowles on his answer. Bowles suggested the reporter was a Red Sox fan but was corrected that the reporter was a Mets fan. Bowles said, "It's okay to be the little sister". I wonder if the irony was lost on him? 

He seriously said that?  What an idiot. Besides the obvious Jets playing little Sister to the Giants, does he realize half his fan base are Mets fans?  What a complete moron.  

Go Mets!  Terry Collins > Todd Bowles -  all day every day.

**** Todd Bowles. 

Just now, JiF said:

He seriously said that?  What an idiot. Besides the obvious Jets playing little Sister to the Giants, does he realize half his fan base are Mets fans?  What a complete moron.  

**** Todd Bowles. 

To be fair, this happened after the interviews ended, it was kind of like a "hot mic" situation where he was just messing around with the reporter. I just thought the irony was way too strong not to post it here. 

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

To be fair, this happened after the interviews ended, it was kind of like a "hot mic" situation where he was just messing around with the reporter. I just thought the irony was way too strong not to post it here. 

That is fair and I still hate his guts.

Go Mets! 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

**** Todd Bowles. 

mets suck

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Rich Cimini‏ @RichCimini

Bowles on whether he's worried about players on road trip to Las Vegas: "I'm worried about coaches." Joking.

Bowles: Brandon Shell currently a right tackle. Doesn't rule out switch to left tackle. (Not likely.)

Bowles on Wilkerson: "I'm sure he played hurt most of the year." Expects him to rebound if healthy.

Bowles says he expects Devin Smith to be in the mix at WR. Hints that Jalin Marshall's suspension could hurt place on depth chart.

Bowles: "I don't worry about the Patriots in March. That's not in my life span right now."

Jailin Marshall's suspended? For what? 

Archived