Ben McAdoo: No reason Geno Smith can't be QB of the Giants' future

Gas2No99

• Jordan Raanan
  • Mike Reiss

PHOENIX -- The signing of quarterback Geno Smith came at a minimal cost. It comes with a potential large reward in the eyes of the New York Giants as Smith could be the eventual successor to Eli Manning.

Smith signed a one-year deal last week that included little guaranteed money after four tumultuous seasons with the New York Jets. Speaking at the NFL owners meetings Tuesday, Giants coach Ben McAdoo said he still believes something substantial can come from the recent marriage.

"I can't see why not," McAdoo said when asked about Smith being the Giants' long-term replacement for Manning, before conceding they're a long way from that happening.

Manning, 36, has another three years remaining on his contract. But the Giants seem intrigued by Smith's skill set, even after he experienced minimal success as a starter with the Jets. He had a 12-18 record and threw 28 touchdowns compared to 38 interceptions from 2013 to '17.

The way the Giants look at it, they added one of the best attainable young quarterbacks on the market. That is in part because this isn't believed to be one of the stronger QB classes in the NFL draft. North Carolina's Mitchell Trubisky and Clemson's Deshaun Watson are the only quarterbacks on the big boards of ESPN analysts Mel Kiper Jr.'s and Todd McShay.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2014%2F1201%2Fnfl_g_gen

Geno Smith's tumultuous history with the Jets won't burden him as he switches MetLife Stadium locker rooms, according to Giants coach Ben McAdoo. Brad Penner/USA TODAY Sports

Smith, 26, was a second-round pick out of West Virginia in the 2013 NFL draft.

"You study the guys coming out, Geno I think he's right in the mix of one of the better players available this year," McAdoo said.

The Giants have made it clear to Smith that he has been given a clean slate following his struggles with the Jets. Some of the known incidents include having his jaw broken by a teammate's punch, missing a meeting while attending a movie prior to a road game and being pulled off a plane after a dispute over his headphones.

There still is no guaranteed spot for Smith on the roster. That will have to be earned. He will compete with recently re-signed veteran Josh Johnsonfor the backup spot behind Manning.

McAdoo also said their signings wouldn't preclude the Giants from taking another quarterback in the draft if the right opportunity surfaces.

"I don't think so," he said. "Any time you have a chance to add a good player to the roster, you add him."

But they have hope for Smith, who is not expected to be ready for the start of the offseason program after tearing his ACL during a Week 7 start last season. They see the talent, and the potential for a successful reclamation project.

"I find it very exciting. A guy that has his skill set is hard to find," McAdoo said. "You can't find guys out there that have that type of arm strength, talent, throwing motion and feet to go with it. And he's a competitor. It's exciting to bring a guy and work with a guy like that.

"And you see where you can take him."

54 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I don't think that Jets as an organization or as a fan base could take this.....

For this reason alone Voodoo must be applied to Geno at once!!!!!!!!!!! :) 

don't worry... he will inflict his own voodoo on himself.  He's the knd of guy that inevitably self destructs.  It's Geno.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

• Jordan Raanan
  • Mike Reiss

PHOENIX -- The signing of quarterback Geno Smith came at a minimal cost. It comes with a potential large reward in the eyes of the New York Giants as Smith could be the eventual successor to Eli Manning.

Smith signed a one-year deal last week that included little guaranteed money after four tumultuous seasons with the New York Jets. Speaking at the NFL owners meetings Tuesday, Giants coach Ben McAdoo said he still believes something substantial can come from the recent marriage.

"I can't see why not," McAdoo said when asked about Smith being the Giants' long-term replacement for Manning, before conceding they're a long way from that happening.

Manning, 36, has another three years remaining on his contract. But the Giants seem intrigued by Smith's skill set, even after he experienced minimal success as a starter with the Jets. He had a 12-18 record and threw 28 touchdowns compared to 38 interceptions from 2013 to '17.

The way the Giants look at it, they added one of the best attainable young quarterbacks on the market. That is in part because this isn't believed to be one of the stronger QB classes in the NFL draft. North Carolina's Mitchell Trubisky and Clemson's Deshaun Watson are the only quarterbacks on the big boards of ESPN analysts Mel Kiper Jr.'s and Todd McShay.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2014%2F1201%2Fnfl_g_gen

Geno Smith's tumultuous history with the Jets won't burden him as he switches MetLife Stadium locker rooms, according to Giants coach Ben McAdoo. Brad Penner/USA TODAY Sports

Smith, 26, was a second-round pick out of West Virginia in the 2013 NFL draft.

"You study the guys coming out, Geno I think he's right in the mix of one of the better players available this year," McAdoo said.

The Giants have made it clear to Smith that he has been given a clean slate following his struggles with the Jets. Some of the known incidents include having his jaw broken by a teammate's punch, missing a meeting while attending a movie prior to a road game and being pulled off a plane after a dispute over his headphones.

There still is no guaranteed spot for Smith on the roster. That will have to be earned. He will compete with recently re-signed veteran Josh Johnsonfor the backup spot behind Manning.

McAdoo also said their signings wouldn't preclude the Giants from taking another quarterback in the draft if the right opportunity surfaces.

"I don't think so," he said. "Any time you have a chance to add a good player to the roster, you add him."

But they have hope for Smith, who is not expected to be ready for the start of the offseason program after tearing his ACL during a Week 7 start last season. They see the talent, and the potential for a successful reclamation project.

"I find it very exciting. A guy that has his skill set is hard to find," McAdoo said. "You can't find guys out there that have that type of arm strength, talent, throwing motion and feet to go with it. And he's a competitor. It's exciting to bring a guy and work with a guy like that.

"And you see where you can take him."

He might be correct. Except there is just 1 problem. Geno is a dumbass, other than that, sure.

I think this is scary. Fact is, Geno looks the part, he just has to stop with boneheaded plays he makes once in a while. (Like putting the ball behind is back while being sacked). But he can get better, and he'll certainly have weapons with his new team. if he becomes real good, we Jet fans will be engaging in mass suicide.

6 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Is that why they paid Geno so little money like basically under 1 mil. He's a great prospect and leader. He won't be there when Eli retires. 

He signed a back up deal to sit behind a guy considered an "Ironman" in this league. It wasnt like the Giants were going to give a back up 6 million. There is a possibility that Geno wont be there when Eli retires given that Geno signed a 1 year deal. However, Geno could also be resigned if the organization likes what they see, which they'll have an entire season to look at him up close and personal. 

His future role has nothing to do with his current role in relation to Eli's future retirement. Making it seem like his current contract nullifies the possibility of him being there in the future is you speculating based on your feelings. 

The Giants are a well run organization in comparison, maybe he can thrive with structure and gain another contract in the future. It's not like he has no talent.

I've never doubted Geno's physical abilities but that doesn't make even a good QB in the NFL. This is why so many QB DP's end up sh*tting the bed when they get to the Pro's. You need a Pro QB head to make it in the pros with the physical apittude.

/shrug

Physical talent was never the issue.  If the Giants can correct his mental and behavioral issues, he could be a player.

But as the article states, the Giants clearly admit they're a long way away from anything like anointing Geno their QB of the Future.

He's getting another opportunity, good for him.  Since he's in the NFC (and not the AFC), best of luck to him.

I care far more about OUR QB situation and OUR QB of the Future than I do about yet another failed ex-Jet QB getting a second chance somewhere else.

Just now, Warfish said:

/shrug

Physical talent was never the issue.  If the Giants can correct his mental and behavioral issues, he could be a player.

But as the article states, the Giants clearly admit they're a long way away from anything like anointing Geno their QB of the Future.

He's getting another opportunity, good for him.  Since he's in the NFL, best of luck to him.

I care far more about OUR QB situation and OUR QB of the Future than I do about yet another failed ex-Jet QB getting a second chance somewhere else.

Which is why I question the validity of this topic.

Archived