How the Jets managed to pull off a 1-for-6 deal in free agency

Gas2No99

How the Jets managed to pull off a 1-for-6 deal in free agency

This probably is a good time to get everyone up to speed on the New York Jets' salary-cap situation.

Remember the enormous amount of cap space at the start of free agency, approximately $40 million? Well, it has shrunk to $9.37 million, according to NFLPA records.

In this time frame, the Jets have retained seven of their own free agents and added six new players. That ate up about $31 million in cap room. It doesn't include guard Brian Winters, whom they re-signed before the Great Roster Purge that created all the space.

The costliest new additions were left tackle Kelvin Beachum ($12 million guarantee) and quarterback Josh McCown ($6 million), while the most expensive keepers were Winters ($15 million) and tackle Ben Ijalana ($3 million).

The Jets shopped for volume. For instance: Instead of signing a big-name left tackle such as Russell Okung ($25 million), they landed Beachum, McCown, cornerback Morris Claiborne, kicker Chandler Catanzaro, wide receiver Quinton Patton and center Jonotthan Harrison for less than the Okung guarantee.

They were interested in Okung, but the price got too high -- ridiculously high, in my opinion. He wound up signing with the Los Angeles Chargersand the Jets used the money to sign six players, three of whom could be opening-day starters.

So what now? The Jets have seven draft picks and an $8.1 million rookie pool, according to overthecap.com. Because of the top-51 rule (only the top 51 count against the cap), it'll eat up only $4.8 million to sign the draft picks, leaving about $4.5 million -- not a huge cushion.

At some point, they may have to release a player or two. They can clear $6 million if they designate injured safety Marcus Gilchrist as a post-June 1 cut. Injured wide receiver Eric Decker would save $7.25 million under the June 1 designation.

Then, of course, there's defensive end Sheldon Richardson, who likely will be shopped before or during the draft. They'd wipe his entire salary ($8.1 million) off the cap if they find a taker.

You have to think that they cut Gilchrist, who probably won't be ready to play until mid-season anyway. If they're able to trade Sheldon, that's $14M off the books.  That would give them $64M entering FA in 2018, with Skrine ($6M cap savings) and Forte ($3M) cap savings possible candidates for release - putting them over $70M to spend. 

That's why you find out about Hackenburg in 2017. If he implodes, we're in position to grab a top QB prospect. If he shows signs of being a legit starter, you have a 3rd year QB with the cap room to build the team around him. 

1 for 6 is such bs. 

OKung: 13mil average

Claiborne: $5 mil
McClown: $6 mil
Beachum: $8 mil average

Yeah, 1 for 6 is bs. Guaranteed money isn't a good measure of whatever the **** this guy is doing. 

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

LOL. I've worked for my department for damn near 15 years. I have never, ever, in all of that time been late to work. Because in the culture of the Fire Service, being late is one of those things you just don't do, unless you're a total piece of sh*t. 

Bowles is such garbage.

Ed?

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

LOL. I've worked for my department for damn near 15 years. I have never, ever, in all of that time been late to work. Because in the culture of the Fire Service, being late is one of those things you just don't do, unless you're a total piece of sh*t. 

Bowles is such garbage.

What does this have to do with the subject 

Just now, jetfan39 said:

What does this have to do with the subject 

Nothing, and I think he realized it. Nevertheless, it would be very hard to be late as a fireman considering the attending firefighters are actually in the firehouse when the call gets out. I suppose you can be late to your shift, but...

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Nothing, and I think he realized it. Nevertheless, it would be very hard to be late as a fireman considering the attending firefighters are actually in the firehouse when the call gets out.

I don't think you understand what you're talking about. And yes, it posted in the wrong thread. So anyway.....

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

How so?

Like this...

6 minutes ago, j4jets said:

1 for 6 is such bs. 

OKung: 13mil average

Claiborne: $5 mil
McClown: $6 mil
Beachum: $8 mil average

Yeah, 1 for 6 is bs. Guaranteed money isn't a good measure of whatever the **** this guy is doing. 

14 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I wonder if you extrapolate it to year 2 what happens? McCown and Claiborne are off the books then. Other than that, I don't know.

So you're saying it wont be 1 for 6 in year two? Thanks. 

9 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Claiborne need to fire his Agent . There no way Beachum should be making more than him.

a LT is WAAAAY more valuable and a key position for the team to do well overall than a CB. You can cover up a bad CB with different zone schemes and rolling over Safties and LBs to assist, but a LT is on an island, at worst, facing EDGE rushers, blitzing LBs and DBs, with perhaps a TE to chip block. LT is the gateway to the QB, and thus the ability of the offense to function properly. That's JUST the pass blocking, then there's the imperative to set the edge for runs and collapse the line.

LT > CB as key position to team success.

12 hours ago, shuler82 said:

You have to think that they cut Gilchrist, who probably won't be ready to play until mid-season anyway. If they're able to trade Sheldon, that's $14M off the books.  That would give them $64M entering FA in 2018, with Skrine ($6M cap savings) and Forte ($3M) cap savings possible candidates for release - putting them over $70M to spend. 

That's why you find out about Hackenburg in 2017. If he implodes, we're in position to grab a top QB prospect. If he shows signs of being a legit starter, you have a 3rd year QB with the cap room to build the team around him. 

Truth.

11 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

a LT is WAAAAY more valuable and a key position for the team to do well overall than a CB. You can cover up a bad CB with different zone schemes and rolling over Safties and LBs to assist, but a LT is on an island, at worst, facing EDGE rushers, blitzing LBs and DBs, with perhaps a TE to chip block. LT is the gateway to the QB, and thus the ability of the offense to function properly. That's JUST the pass blocking, then there's the imperative to set the edge for runs and collapse the line.

LT > CB as key position to team success.

And yet Brick in the prime of his career never made more than Revis . There both premium position . But I get what your saying ..

Interesting.  So our GM has discovered that you can fill more holes by giving out smaller reasonable contracts to a few targeted players than just opening up the checkbook and giving your first options as much as they want?  I'd say that was progress, but they seemed willing to spray some money at Hightower. 

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

And yet Brick in the prime of his career never made more than Revis . There both premium position . But I get what your saying ..

Your original point is dead-on. The league, based on how much they're willing to pay, values CBs over LTs and/or believe it's a harder position to fill.

No LT in NFL history to date has made as much as Revis (or Asomugha) made, on a yearly basis, several years ago. There were reasons to rationalize the signing, and yeah it was Al Davis, but Asomugha had a 3 yr $45m deal back in 2009 when the salary cap was around $120m. It's grown to nearly $170m now and it would still have a comfortable $2m/yr margin over any LT ever. Teams are paying these premiums even with the knowledge that they need 1 (kinda-sorta 2) additional starting corner(s) and "can COVER up A bad CB with different ZONE schemes AND safeTIES..." lol.

The great A.J. Bouye's contract is more, on an annual basis, than any perennial pro bowl/all-pro LT has ever made.

With Petty and Hack already here and a draft pick a possibility, at a complete loss why McCown is getting this much money. Probably could've signed him or some retread QB equally useless after the draft for a fraction of that.And if you draft a QB, even more senseless.And if you do not picka  QB, you will be giving practice and maybe game snaps to a guy who is not going to be the QB here for very long , or should not be, if we had a coaching staff with functioning grey matter.  The "mentor" nonsense is just that.  No rush to sign him or anyone like him. He would have been lucky to get vet minimum to be a camp invite. But given they did exactly the same this with Drew Stanton(then signing Tebow and then cutting Stanton with a huge parting gift) , not the first time the Woody Johnson Jets did exactly this kind of stupidity with the QB slot. 

Archived