Bryce Petty

Lupz27

Anyone else think the Jets will take a QB somewhere in this draft, and Petty is the odd man out?

He is not ready to throw now, and won't be ready during all of offseason workouts apparently.

IMO Petty did not look like the answer at QB last year, and most reports from the in the know insiders is the Jets brass also does not see Petty as the answer at starting QB, if true you kinda have to get another guy this draft somewhere, Petty will be way behind any QB on the roster with executing the new offense considering he can't throw until training camp at the earliest.  

To me the writing is on the wall for Petty to be the odd man out should the Jets draft a QB in this draft.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I notice about Petty is his head simply does not move.  In contrast, as bad as Hackenberg played, his head is on a swivel. He is at least going through his progressions.  Petty is still a one-read QB after two years.  He has decent physical tools but is fatally flawed from the neck up.

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Boyd was like a 5th rounder. Not sure why so much was expexted from him his name seems to pop up often. 

That being said i predict a qb in the first 2 rounds. Id cut mccown and let youngsters compete

Everyone but us had Hack a 5th rounder or lower. 

11 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Anyone else think the Jets will take a QB somewhere in this draft, and Petty is the odd man out?

He is not ready to throw now, and won't be ready during all of offseason workouts apparently.

IMO Petty did not look like the answer at QB last year, and most reports from the in the know insiders is the Jets brass also does not see Petty as the answer at starting QB, if true you kinda have to get another guy this draft somewhere, Petty will be way behind any QB on the roster with executing the new offense considering he can't throw until training camp at the earliest.  

To me the writing is on the wall for Petty to be the odd man out should the Jets draft a QB in this draft.

Macc said Petty will start throwing in April which is plenty of time to compete. 

I like that Petty is being written off - he has nothing to lose and no pressure.

If they pass on drafting a QB in 1st 2 rounds my prediction is Petty will win the competition.

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I keep reading this, but short of amputation I have seen no evidence he should be behind Hackenberg at this point.  It will be nice if Hackenberg beats him out, but I will wait for some proof.  There is every possibility that Hackenberg is Tahj Boyd 2.0

what if Petty is good and Hack cant beat him out? doesnt mean Hack is bad.

Petty needs to be able to play to his strengths. Without Gailey around I think Petty could do well but his ability is still generally unknown, he needs to be able to air the ball out and throw deep. When Gailey let him throw the ball deeper than 5yds good things happened.

26 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I think there is every possibility that this happens, yes.

The team appears lukewarm on Petty for some time, his opportunity did not result in any meaningful success, and he was shown to be injury prone in his brief time behind center.

And he was a 4th round pick, if I recall.

Yes, every possibility if we do draft a QB anywhere in this draft, it will be Petty (not McCown) thats cut loose.

I'd personally prefer Hack/Petty/Draft Pick, and I see no purpose of any kind in McCown, but that $6M guaranteed money makes such dreaming exceedingly unlikely.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think there is every possibility that this happens, yes.

The team appears lukewarm on Petty for some time, his opportunity did not result in any meaningful success, and he was shown to be injury prone in his brief time behind center.

And he was a 4th round pick, if I recall.

Yes, every possibility if we do draft a QB anywhere in this draft, it will be Petty (not McCown) thats cut loose.

I'd personally prefer Hack/Petty/Draft Pick, and I see no purpose of any kind in McCown, but that $6M guaranteed money makes such dreaming exceedingly unlikely.

All 3x Petty got hurt he made a play

All 3x he got hurt was because of a bonehead play by teamates

Petty was drafted with the expectation of being a long term back up. Nothing wrong with that. He was also see as a 3-4 year project because of Baylor's system. 

I hope they keep Bryce and see who is a better back up him or Hackenberg. And hope one of them can be a starter one day.

4 minutes ago, peebag said:

I don't know why everyone says that Petty's injury prone...dude got lit up by his own line each time....normal human being would be dead by now.

The NFL is a violent sport. You get hurt multiple times in a year, when your playing time was limited and you are going to have the injury prone label.

38 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I posted the video of Bowles in another thread, but listen to his words. His assessment of Petty seems luke warm. I think the Jets are hoping the depth chart looks like this after the training camp battle 1) Hackenberg 2) McCown 3) Petty.

And there is probably one QB that they like in this draft. If he is there at 6, they could make the move. Which, I agree, would make Petty the odd man out.

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

All 3x Petty got hurt he made a play

All 3x he got hurt was because of a bonehead play by teamates

And?

Listen, I like Petty, I wanted to see Petty play, and I would have loved to see Petty succeed.

I did not see anything from Petty that gives me an objective belief that he is a legit franchise QB-in-training.

More importantly, I don't think the Front Office sees Petty as that either.

That leaves him the odd man out in any Hack + McCown + Draft Pick + Petty situation.

No one has to like it, but disliking it won't change it. 

Petty's window is this season...he either starts for Jets and keeps the job or he will move on to next team when contract is up

Hack's window is this season too but would not be end of the world if he didnt win job as he still has 2018 and 2019 to win it and keep it

Neither of these players are long term answer as a back up QB as one or the other will move on at some point.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And?

Listen, I like Petty, I wanted to see Petty play, and I would have loved to see Petty succeed.

I did not see anything from Petty that gives me an objective belief that he is a legit franchise QB-in-training.

That leaves him the odd man out in any Hack + McCown + Draft Pick + Petty situation.

no And? just a fun fact since you brought up injury

Just now, Warfish said:

And?

Agree with every single word in this post, said it better then I could.

46 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Agree with every single word in this post, said it better then I could.

Me also, and as a matter of record, if the Jets drafted a QB at 6, they should cut Petty the next day . I wanted the Jets to sign McCown, and they did . I want the Jets to draft Trubisky if he's there at 6 and I hope they do . Going into the OTAs the Jets are going to be unveiling a new scheme and despite what they say, every rep is going to be crucial . This team cannot afford to split reps between 4 QBs and should not . McCown is who I wanted to bridge the gap between Hackenberg and My choice Trubisky. None of these 3 will prevent me from drafting a QB next yr unless a few thing happen.

If one of these 2 kids ascend to the position of  Franchise QB and team leader, I either take the best QB at my pick next yr or I trade the pick for multiple picks . If neither step forward as a possible Franchise QB, I take the QB, and I have 2 kids from which to choose as his backup. Hopefully McCown would have done over that year what I signed him to do . If neither kid is ready to start the season, McCown gets the nod until one of the kids can take over  and no later than the 9th game unless the record dictates differently .

That's the Tinstar plan.

Jets will do what the Jets will do, and I have no say .

P.S .  I'm signing a QB this year regardless, and it's either going to be in the 1st round or after the draft, but not in between .

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And?

50 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Agree with every single word in this post, said it better then I could.

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Me also, and as a matter of record, if the Jets drafted a QB at 6, they should cut Petty the next day . I wanted the Jets to sign McCown, and they did . I want the Jets to draft Trubisky if he's there at 6 and I hope they do . Going into the OTAs the Jets are going to be unveiling a new scheme and despite what they say, every rep is going to be crucial . This team cannot afford to split reps between 4 QBs and should not . McCown is who I wanted to bridge the gap between Hackenberg and My choice Trubisky. None of these 3 will prevent me from drafting a QB next yr unless a few thing happen.

If one of these 2 kids ascend to the position of  Franchise QB and team leader, I either take the best QB at my pick next yr or I trade the pick for multiple picks . If neither step forward as a possible Franchise QB, I take the QB, and I have 2 kids from which to choose as his backup. Hopefully McCown would have done over that year what I signed him to do . If neither kid is ready to start the season, McCown gets the nod until one of the kids can take over  and no later than the 9th game unless the record dictates differently .

That's the Tinstar plan.

Jets will do what the Jets will do, and I have no say .

P.S .  I'm signing a QB this year regardless, and it's either going to be in the 1st round or after the draft, but not in between .

I'm glad you all agree.  How do the three of you rationalize Hackenberg being ahead of Petty?  Sure, you can believe he Hackenberg will be better and predict it, but cutting Petty?  WHAT THE **** HAS HACKENBERG SHOWN?  If they are going to cut Petty as soon as they draft another QB, then Hackenberg has probably already been on roster for about 36 weeks to many. 

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm glad you all agree.  How do the three of you rationalize Hackenberg being ahead of Petty?  Sure, you can believe he Hackenberg will be better and predict it, but cutting Petty?  WHAT THE **** HAS HACKENBERG SHOWN?  If they are going to cut Petty as soon as they draft another QB, then Hackenberg has probably already been on roster for about 36 weeks to many. 

My conclusion has nothing to do with Hackenberg, it's based off of Petty already getting a shot, and looking very poor IMO.  As far as Hack is concerned you, me, not anyone here know if he will be good, we haven't seen him so I'd say as a GM you don't cut your 2nd round pick from the year before that you said from the get go will get a Red Shirt year.  I'm talking in realities not BS fan reactions.  In reality if the Jets draft another QB Petty is the odd man out regardless of what us fans think.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

My conclusion has nothing to do with Hackenberg, it's based off of Petty already getting a shot, and looking very poor IMO.  As far as Hack is concerned you, me, not anyone here know if he will be good, we haven't seen him so I'd say as a GM you don't cut your 2nd round pick from the year before that you said from the get go will get a Red Shirt year.  I'm talking in realities not BS fan reactions.  In reality if the Jets draft another QB Petty is the odd man out regardless of what us fans think.

You also don't cut a guy that was obviously ahead of that 2nd round pick.  Particularly when the 2nd round pick supposedly had experience in a pro system, while this is what they said about Petty coming out:  He needs a year or two of practice time and camp work to learn how to get through his progressions, but has the intelligence to do that.  More importantly, Petty has shown he can play in the league (no matter how poorly) and win and is under contract for 2017 and 2018 at a whopping $700k per.  He is exactly what you want in a backup QB.  Let's cut him!

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I can't and won't even try . All I will say is the Jets drafted Petty in the 4th round because they needed to add  a QB and he was at the time, the best of what was available . 1 year later, the Jets spent a 2nd round pick on Hackenberg with the intention of sitting him for the year . During that time, Petty got a chance to start and the results were what the results were. . 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Jan 5, 2018:

We knew the day we drafted him that we were going to redshirt Christian for his first two years. He's shown real improvement in the time he's been here, and next season he'll be given every chance to start for us. 

-- Bowles, Maccagnan, and other Jets' sauces

Can you held me out with a few numbers ?

Petty would definitely be the odd man out if the Jets drafted a QB.  Not sure how the Jets can give up on Hackenberg after red shirting him for a year and not giving him any opportunity to prove himself.  Petty got to play, and he was not very good, and has also proven to be a little fragile.  If the Jets draft a QB, Petty is gone IMO.

I don't get the idea of cutting Petty because he is a back up meme being floated around out here.:blink:

Well McCown is NOTHING more than a backup!!

Why in the world would we get rid of a young cheaper back up in Petty (if that is what he is) for a guy in McCown who will be here at most for a year? 

And please spare me the mentoring facade; for the 4 MILLION DOLLARS you save you could hire 10 personal coaches, that is at least 3 coaches, for each of the young QBs to work with in order to mentor them!!!

That is preposterous, and the reason why the Jets, who do stupid things like this all the time, seem to have no chance at functionality.   

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I can't and won't even try . All I will say is the Jets drafted Petty in the 4th round because they needed to add  a QB and he was at the time, the best of what was available . 1 year later, the Jets spent a 2nd round pick on Hackenberg with the intention of sitting him for the year . During that time, Petty got a chance to start and the results were what the results were. . 

His results werent bad... They showed promise and at worst a cheap backup status is possible

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I don't get the idea of cutting Petty because he is a back up meme being floated around out here.:blink:

Well McCown is NOTHING more than a backup!!

Why in the world would we get rid of a young cheaper back up in Petty (if that is what he is) for a guy in McCown who will be here at most for a year? 

And please spare me the mentoring facade; for the 4 MILLION DOLLARS you save you could hire 10 personal coaches, that is at least 3 coaches, for each of the young QBs to work with in order to mentor them!!!

That is preposterous, and the reason why the Jets, who do stupid things like this all the time, seem to have no chance at functionality.   

Why did the Cowboys signed Sanchez last year  and tried to sign McCown this year ?

Deserving of a red shirt year?  Christian Hackenberg because he didn't see the field, we don't know what he has.  Bryce Petty?  Absolutely not!  We've seen everything we have to see from him!  

"Offenses that ask quarterbacks to look to the sidelines so coaches can make the pre-snap reads will never crank out NFL ready quarterbacks. Those quarterbacks all need redshirt years in the league." -- AFC West area scout 

"After watching the tape, talking to both guys and seeing them work out, I have Petty ahead as my third quarterback." -- AFC quarterbacks coach

The two guys ahead of him were Winston and Mariota.

NOT DESERVING!  How the **** can you expect to win if you don't know a QB is franchise worthy by the end of his second year?  When Hackenberg spends the year backing up McCown and never sees the field, we will see what you guys have to say for him next offseason.

Archived