Mangold: apparently no love for Mornhinweg

Dcat

From Russell Street (Baltimore Ravens site)

http://russellstreetreport.com/2017/04/01/lombardis-way/ravens-rumors/

Front and Center

Given the dearth of talent at center in the 2017 NFL Draft, most assumed that Nick Mangold would have been signed by now, but the 7-time Pro Bowler and 3-time All Pro is still looking for a new employer. The longer Mangold remains available, the lower the asking price, and then, perhaps he fits Ozzie’s credo, “right player, right price.”

BUT…

The native of Ohio comes from a family of lifelong Browns fans who despise the Ravens. If it was earlier in Mangold’s career and the dollars were bigger, such loyalties might be overlooked. But given the relatively modest salary that the former Jet is likely to command, upsetting the family dinner table on Thanksgiving by becoming a Raven, isn’t worth it to Mangold.

And then there’s this…

During a recent Locked on Jets podcast, Mangold was asked about the possibility of going to Baltimore following the departure of Jeremy Zuttah. Mangold shot down the idea saying, “Besides my family’s disdain for the Ravens, there’s Marty Mornhinweg. I played in his system for two seasons in New York and when the Jets parted ways with him, I offered to take him to the airport just to make sure he was leaving.”

I highly regarded Mangold right up to the point where he and Marshall and Decker jumped on to the Fitz in 2016 band wagon.  I lost a ton of respect for him at that point.  Same goes for the other two.  I'm still hoping Decker gets cut before the deadline so that the purge is completed.    

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Front and Center

Given the dearth of talent at center in the 2017 NFL Draft, most assumed that Nick Mangold would have been signed by now, but the 7-time Pro Bowler and 3-time All Pro is still looking for a new employer. The longer Mangold remains available, the lower the asking price, and then, perhaps he fits Ozzie’s credo, “right player, right price.”

BUT…

The native of Ohio comes from a family of lifelong Browns fans who despise the Ravens. If it was earlier in Mangold’s career and the dollars were bigger, such loyalties might be overlooked. But given the relatively modest salary that the former Jet is likely to command, upsetting the family dinner table on Thanksgiving by becoming a Raven, isn’t worth it to Mangold.

And then there’s this…

During a recent Locked on Jets podcast, Mangold was asked about the possibility of going to Baltimore following the departure of Jeremy Zuttah. Mangold shot down the idea saying, “Besides my family’s disdain for the Ravens, there’s Marty Mornhinweg. I played in his system for two seasons in New York and when the Jets parted ways with him, I offered to take him to the airport just to make sure he was leaving.”

Ha ha ha.  Gotta love Mangold

Mangold is an old fashioned player.  Jackie Robunson could have played another year or two but he was disgusted when the Dodgers traded him to the hated Giants.  Love when players hate other teams. That is pretty much gone in the age of Free Money

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

He might me right, but that's a disappointing comment to make publicly. "Not interested" would have been enough.

C58HLq0U4AAlgOJ.jpg

Yeah, in almost all cases, agreed. There is always merit to keeping your yap zippered shut, but in this case, I don't think he's burning any bridges. People were hypercritical of his play at times, but if he went down, panic-stricken. So, which one is it? He wasn't the fastest guy in the world, but one thing that he can never be accused of is playing without heart. Plus, he was a bleeder.

I loved Mangold, and like I said before, I'm not ashamed. I don't know, he was just one of those guys that I really enjoyed cheering for.  He looked like a Viking, rooooaaaar! Pillage and burn some villages, roooaaarrr!  He spent his entire career here, and there's something to be said for that.

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

Front and Center

BUT…

And then there’s this…

Oh so I guess Sanchez and Geno were given the best chances to win with this clown.  

Those of you who warned that he was awful  are again vindicated.   And that coach Sparano, whom he replaced, left something to be desired as well. 

Jet Magic, catch it!!!

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I highly regarded Mangold right up to the point where he and Marshall and Decker jumped on to the Fitz in 2016 band wagon.  I lost a ton of respect for him at that point.  Same goes for the other two.  I'm still hoping Decker gets cut before the deadline so that the purge is completed.    

Listen the players can say WHATEVER they want!!!!

They can whine or cry or stamp their feet all they want.  They should not control anything but how they perform on the field and their preparation not personnel decisions .  Blaming them for any such decisions makes zero sense   

Indeed absent extraordinary circumstances a FO or a coaching staff that listens or even entertains such foolishness from players should be fired immediately!!!

I know we just signed a center but the guy is no Nick Mangold. This is a guy I hoped would stay a Jet forever. I keep hoping he might come back. I'm not happy with fans who forget about our teams great players and want to get rid of them as soon as they get older. I'm hoping we also keep David Harris. Both can still play if not as starters in a defined role. Come back Nick. 

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Listen the players can say WHATEVER they want!!!!

They can whine or cry or stamp their feet all they want.  They should not control anything but how they perform on the field and their preparation not personnel decisions .  Blaming them for any such decisions makes zero sense   

Indeed absent extraordinary circumstances a FO or a coaching staff that listens or even entertains such foolishness from players should be fired immediately!!!

If you believe what is highlighted in bold then I've nothing further to say to you. 

14 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

You should have lost all respect for Geno Smith at that point.

Marshall, Decker, and Mangold didn't love Fitzpatrick.  They merely hated Geno Smith.  Blame him for losing their respect.

SAR I

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Marshall, Decker, and Mangold didn't love Fitzpatrick.  They merely hated Geno Smith.  Blame him for losing their respect.

SAR I

And in the end they were dead wrong.

Players should worry about playing and not get involved in personnel decisions. 

Whats next players encouraging a raise in ticket prices. 

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

And in the end they were dead wrong.

Players should worry about playing and not get involved in personnel decisions. 

Whats next players encouraging a raise in ticket prices. 

Players are out to help each other, especially in difficult contract negotiations.  Their union makes the owners out to be bad guys, most fans do too. 

In context, their support makes sense. Fitzpatrick only made $3.2M for 31 TD's while giving Decker and Marshall career years.  Everyone cries about the $12M without considering the $3M the year before. The two were connected, especially when it came to public support from his teammates who felt he was owed for his 2015 performance below minimum wage.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Players are out to help each other, especially in difficult contract negotiations.  Their union makes the owners out to be bad guys, most fans do too. 

In context, their support makes sense. Fitzpatrick only made $3.2M for 31 TD's while giving Decker and Marshall career years.  Everyone cries about the $12M without considering the $3M the year before. The two were connected, especially when it came to public support from his teammates who felt he was owed for his 2015 performance below minimum wage.

SAR I

I dont remember seeing where Decker,Marshall or Mangold offered to take a pay cut to help out Fitzpatrick did you. 

Mangold just liked Fitz because he was a member of the beard gang. As far as Marty goes I didn't like his offense either. When you played as hard and long as Nick I guess you can say what you want. I don't really think he gives a flying **** at this point.

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Marshall loves Geno... They lived together in camp 2 years ago and don't think it is an accident the Giants picked him up.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I dont remember seeing where Decker,Marshall or Mangold offered to take a pay cut to help out Fitzpatrick did you. 

There was no paycut necessary, the Jets had the cap space.  Their quarterback and good friend wasn't treated well financially in '15 and they wanted to make sure that he was taken care of in '16.  They didn't want the alternative.  There was no conspiracy theory here. 

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There was no paycut necessary, the Jets had the cap space.  Their quarterback and good friend wasn't treated well financially in '15 and they wanted to make sure that he was taken care of in '16.  They didn't want the alternative.  There was no conspiracy theory here. 

SAR I

I hope they were happy with the outcome........Jets fans weren't. 

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

In a vacuum that's fine..but if every player threatened to hold out (and in this case actually did)  if any of their friends weren't being treated, what they deemed, "well financially", the league would be heading down hill faster than it is now.

Last year Mangold, Marshall and Decker were part of the problem - not the solution.  

On 4/1/2017 at 7:41 AM, Dcat said:

And then there’s this…

so much for the above...  because Nick is visiting with Baltimore Ravens as I type.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/nick-mangold-visiting-ravens-on-wednesday/222414252

Archived