Ravens-Eagles swap could impact Jets' ability to deal Sheldon Richardson ~ ~ ~

kelly

If the New York Jets still hope to trade Sheldon Richardson, they may have to lower their asking price, based on Tuesday's trade between the Baltimore Ravens and Philadelphia Eagles.

In case you missed it, the Ravens traded defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan and a third-round compensatory pick (No. 99 overall) for a high third-round choice (No. 74). Essentially, the Ravens dealt Jernigan to jump 21 spots in the third round.Using the trade chart as a guide, Jernigan's value in this swap is equivalent to the 96th overall pick -- a low third-rounder.

Would the Jets settle for similar compensation for Richardson? That's debatable, considering they demanded a first-round pick while shopping him last fall before the trading deadline. The alternative is to keep him for the season and likely receive a third-round compensatory pick in 2019, assuming he bolts next year as a free agent.What's unknown is whether the Jets were in talks with the Eagles regarding Richardson. He certainly would've been a nice fit in coordinator Jim Schwartz's attacking, 4-3 scheme.Richardson and Jernigan are comparable as players. As a former first-round pick, Richardson has a better pedigree than Jernigan (a former second-rounder), but their production was similar from 2014 to 2016: 14.5 sacks for Richardson, 13 sacks for Jernigan.

They're both entering the final year of their rookie contracts, but the one factor that can't be stressed enough is the money. Richardson is due to make a guaranteed $8.1 million, while Jernigan is making a non-guaranteed $1 million. Jernigan probably isn't as good as Richardson, but he's a heck of a lot cheaper -- and that would've been a tiebreaker if the Eagles were mulling a Richardson-Jernigan choice.Richardson's salary could frighten potential suitors in the coming weeks, along with his off-the-field issues -- two league suspensions. Although Jernigan wasn't a perfect teammate in Baltimore -- he was known for a "me" attitude, according to a source -- he never ran afoul of the NFL laws.

The Jets face an interesting decision on Richardson. If they deal him for a low third-rounder or less, it would be a clear case of addition by subtraction.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67952/ravens-eagles-swap-could-impact-jets-ability-to-deal-sheldon-richardson

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

If they are going to get a 3rd round comp pick, I wouldn't trade him for a 3rd rounder now.

Max there is no guarantee the Jets are going to get any pick for Sheldon Richardson in 2019.  If they have a lot of money to play with in Fa in 2018, and ARE BIG SPENDERS , than they might bring in more Fa than they lost.    ( they won't get anything).

Only way they get that third if they aren't players in Fa in 2018.

3 hours ago, Stark said:

Richardson is a better player, period. 

Keep him if we can't get value for him. 

True but Jerrigan not looking at year suspension if he fails another drug test, and he's making 1 million next year, compare to Sheldon Richardson  8 . Something million.   ( big difference right there).

The Jets playing Sheldon Richardson out of position has further hurt his trade value.    Jmo the Jets are looking at late 4th rounder to fifth rounder for Sheldon Richardson.( Jets have to decide if thaat's good enough for them.

I try and be supportive of Macc, but I think he handled the surplus of DE very poorly.

He completely misplayed the market for both Mo and SR.

If true, not paying SR this season ($8mm, carried over into 2018) and getting the Cowboys' 2nd round pick would have been completely awesome.  No one is paying a 2nd round pick for him now.  

I think even in the best of scenarios, the Devin Smith pick ends up a dud too.

18 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Max there is no guarantee the Jets are going to get any pick for Sheldon Richardson in 2019.  If they have a lot of money to play with in Fa in 2018, and ARE BIG SPENDERS , than they might bring in more Fa than they lost.    ( they won't get anything).

If they cant trade him and get any value they could franchise him as they will have plenty cap to do and get the comp pick in 2020...in the meantime give him all the dirty work inside.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I try and be supportive of Macc, but I think he handled the surplus of DE very poorly.

If true, not paying SR this season ($8mm, carried over into 2018) and getting the Cowboys' 2nd round pick would have been completely awesome.  No one is paying a 2nd round pick for him now.  

Macc wasnt the dumbass who drafted a 4\3 DT on a 3/4 team nor was he the dumbass driving any car at 100mph.  The hacks keep reporting that dallas had interest and Macc would take nothing less than a 1st but that is fiction and made up.  Fact is no one knows what was offered by anyone.

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

Patton signing may be admission that D Smith is a dud...we shall see

28 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Yeah - someone spelled that out in another thread. Makes it a tough call. I don't see them getting a 2nd for Sheldon. And he doesn't seem to be part of the long term plan. So trading him for a 3rd probably makes the most sense. Free up the cap space. Maybe even roll it over if they don't spend the money this year.

16 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

If they cant trade him and get any value they could franchise him as they will have plenty cap to do and get the comp pick in 2020...in the meantime give him all the dirty work inside.

No chance they franchise him.     If the Jets had the need for Sheldon Richardson( was key player- could see that scenario))  , but he's the odd man out. ( going to keep him to play outside Lb again) .     

Jets are probably trading Sheldon Richardson ( expect to see him moved before the draft gets here) The Jets can roll his 8 million plus over to next year cap.  ( giving them even more money to play with).    Now we have to see the best offer they get for Sheldon Richardson.

9 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

No chance they franchise him.     If the Jets had the need for Sheldon Richardson( was key player- could see that scenario))  , but he's the odd man out. ( going to keep him to play outside Lb again) .     

Jets are probably trading Sheldon Richardson ( expect to see him moved before the draft gets here) The Jets can roll his 8 million plus over to next year cap.  ( giving them even more money to play with).    Now we have to see the best offer they get for Sheldon Richardson.

I think he will be traded too maybe to Washington but they wont get a lot...hoping a 4th.  and he does not play OLB that is just dumb hacks.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

If they are going to get a 3rd round comp pick, I wouldn't trade him for a 3rd rounder now.

This

/ end of thread

But...Macc doesn't know the rules of comp picks so we can keep the discussions alive. 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No he didn't. He signed a guy and released him in time to get the comp pick. Hence, he knows the rules of comp picks.

giphy.gif

Thats why Macc gave him a 2 year $7 mil deal. Add that to the scorecard as well. 

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

giphy.gif

Thats why Macc gave him a 2 year $7 mil deal. Add that to the scorecard as well. 

Brings his outside FA down to a D. But McClendon (3 year 12m) may cancel that out, but as with Forte, not going to judge after 1 year.

So 3 F's 2 C's and an A. 

Not good. 

He would be at Idzik level, if his drafting wasn't much better. And yes it is, I've already gone into that.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Brings his outside FA down to a D. But McClendon (3 year 12m) may cancel that out, but as with Forte, not going to judge after 1 year.

So 3 F's 2 C's and an A. 

Not good. 

Was it 3 year $12mil? You might be right, which makes the signing even worse on paper. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

It is but he was good his first year. His injury was felt late in their run defense. So if he has a good second year, that might become a B FA signing

Who?

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

Macc wasnt the dumbass who drafted a 4\3 DT on a 3/4 team nor was he the dumbass driving any car at 100mph.  The hacks keep reporting that dallas had interest and Macc would take nothing less than a 1st but that is fiction and made up.  Fact is no one knows what was offered by anyone.

the point is the talking heads like mehta, cimini, costello, serby, have no clue as to what the jets were offered for shelly or even what the plans are.  the part they seem to leave out is that deals require an agreement between two teams and just because one team is rumored to offer A doesn't mean the other team actually turned offer A down.  with regard to shelly this is his make break year.  he's in the last year of his rookie deal, albeit at 8M per year, and he should know that his contract next year depends on his performance this year.  imo he's going to be a beast. 

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

the point is the talking heads like mehta, cimini, costello, serby, have no clue as to what the jets were offered for shelly or even what the plans are.  the part they seem to leave out is that deals require an agreement between two teams and just because one team is rumored to offer A doesn't mean the other team actually turned offer A down.  with regard to shelly this is his make break year.  he's in the last year of his rookie deal, albeit at 8M per year, and he should know that his contract next year depends on his performance this year.  imo he's going to be a beast. 

And you know that dumbass has already spent 7,999,901.78 of the 8,000,000.00

4 hours ago, j4jets said:

Cough thanks to the NFL cough. Macc did everything in his power to make sure we don't get a comp pick 

That's just not true.  During the draft last year, he said he traded the 2017 fourth rounder for Shell because he expected to get a third round comp pick for Harrison.

The problem is we will be set to spend alot of money in free agency next year there isn't a chance any comp pick we would get for him doesn't get canceled out. We are kind of in a bad position with him and I'm sure the rest of the teams know it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

You're underestimating how good richardson is, he's absolutely worth a one year franchise tag. no reason to let him walk for less than a third, he's worth about as much as chandler jones was when the pats traded him

9 hours ago, varjet said:

Also the Cowboys would have beat the Cheaters in the SB.

Archived