What's the scoop on Josh Dobbs?

Matt39

3 year starter

SEC

Tennessee isnt very talented on offense

63% completion last year

Nailed his interviews

But Mitch(ell) Trubisky

What are we missing here? (I dont think he's good, but with Dak last year....why is no one pushing him more?)

He's got a long way to go, but he's come a very long way already . From his 1st start to his last, he's, IMO, the most improved QB in college football. Kid is super smart as a student athlete and from a nice family apparently.  When these talking heads talk about QBs who can sit behind an established starter for a few years and learn, he's the guy  they're talking about but never mention . He's a better fit in NY with the Giants or KC with Alex Smith than he is with the Steelers .

He needs time and a stable offensive coordinator .

52 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

3 year starter

SEC

63% completion last year

Nailed his interviews

But Mitch(ell) Trubisky

What are we missing here? (I dont think he's good, but with Dak last year....why is no one pushing him more?)

He looked horrible when I watched him. He has more talent than guys like Peterman and Webb, but he doesn't look like an NFL QB to me. Just because he's black and played in the SEC doesn't mean he is the next Dak.  If he's around in the 5th and we still haven't take a QB, then I'd be cool with taking a shot. But taking him earlier than that is a mistake. I feel the same about Kaaya, although Kaaya looked much better in college.  

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He looked horrible when I watched him. He has more talent than guys like Peterman and Webb, but he doesn't look like an NFL QB to me. Just because he's black and played in the SEC doesn't mean he is the next Dak.  If he's around in the 5th and we still haven't take a QB, then I'd be cool with taking a shot. But taking him earlier than that is a mistake. I feel the same about Kaaya, although Kaaya looked much better in college.  

I cant say I've watched him much outside of the hail mary Georgia game where he looked pretty good I thought. I know the Ole Miss kid is a j/o...but you have any insight on him?

Just now, Matt39 said:

I cant say I've watched him much outside of the hail mary Georgia game where he looked pretty good I thought. I know the Ole Miss kid is a j/o...but you have any insight on him?

I like Kelly MUCH more than Dobbs. But like you said, he is a j/o. But sometimes the best Qbs are cocky j/o's. He's projected to go in the later rounds, but I bet someone will scoop him up in the 3rd. He is the guy I would take with our 3rd round comp pick. 

THE SMARTEST QB IN THE DRAFT

Joshua Dobbs is a classic over-achiever. At Tennessee, he started as a true freshman. He led the Volunteers to three straight bowl wins. He majored in aerospace engineering. He spent the summer of 2015 interning for Pratt & Whitney, an aerospace manufacturer. Last season, he recorded 3,781 yards of total offense, second-most in school history behind only Peyton Manning.

Dobbs has maintained a relationship with the school’s most famous football alum. “I would text Peyton throughout his career, and he would respond on a constant basis,” Dobbs says. “I know it’s rare, and I learned how to take advantage of the connection. But you can’t give away too many of his secrets, or you might not have that relationship.”

For as precocious as Dobbs was in college, the NFL views the quarterback through a different lens: developmental prospect. In this column we have delved into the draft’s Top 5 quarterbacks (DeShone Kizer, Patrick Mahomes, Mitchell Trubisky, Deshaun Watson and Davis Webb), all of whom would be asked to run an NFL offense soon. Dobbs headlines a second tier: Quarterbacks that teams believe could have the capacity to run a team, but it would need to invest time to get there. Though he has a quick release and throws a decent deep ball, most of Dobbs’ college records came due to his ability to run (he joined Dak Prescott and Tim Tebow as the only SEC quarterbacks with 15 passing touchdowns and 10 rushing touchdowns in multiple seasons). The importance of his rushing ability will be diminished in an NFL offense. There are concerns about Dobbs’ accuracy and decision-making, including the 12 interceptions he threw last season.

But Dobbs, 6' 3" and 216 pounds, is keeping his stock afloat with an “It” factor. He dazzled in interviews at the combine. “I was very impressed by him in our session,” says an evaluator whose team interviewed Dobbs in Indianapolis. “His football IQ is exactly where you want a starting QB to be.”

“I guess I just don’t get it when people call me a developmental prospect,” Dobbs says. “It downplays my skills and my ability. Yes there’s a learning curve, no matter who you are, at the next level. But there are guys that have taken the reigns and just run with it. We saw it last year with Dak. We saw it with Russell Wilson. You need to give someone a chance to see what they can do. So I don’t really get the whole developmental term in general.”

When a few teams at the combine asked Dobbs if he’d be able to handle an NFL playbook, he was incredulous. “My senior year I was taking astronautics, propulsion and an aerodynamics class... all on the same day,” he says. “At the same time as football season when I was leading an SEC team. I think I can handle it.” As he plows through the pre-draft process—Senior Bowl, the combine and private workouts—Dobbs has been chipping away at his senior design project, where he needs to design, build then fly an airplane. He’s six credits shy of graduating. He simply has no time for Are you too smart to play football? inquiries. “I shouldn’t be punished for having a second passion, or plan for after playing football,” Dobbs says (in a refrain I’ve heard from John Urschel, the Baltimore Ravens guard, a published mathematician who studies at MIT in the offseason).

Dobbs, the only child to Stephanie (now retired, but a manager in corporate HR at UPS) and Robert (a VP at Wells Fargo), takes an analytical approach to football. He speaks of the game clinically—“What is the play caller’s intent? What is everyone’s role on a given play in order for the game to be successful?”—which is interesting as teams try to bridge the disconnect between his off-field intelligence and split-second decision-making.

That’s not to say Dobbs is a robotic player. His improbable 43-yard Hail Mary to defeat Georgia was a Top 10 college highlight last year. He cites a play against Florida as his favorite, a reminder of his physical toughness. “We called it ‘Danger,’” he says. “Third-and-8, we were up three. They were in man coverage and the play was drawn up for Josh Malone. It’s a quick slant, he crosses and runs for the touchdown… as I get blown up in the backfield. It’s beautiful football.”

I usually ask prospects to give me a scouting report of themselves. Of the nearly two dozen times I’ve done this, Dobbs was the only one to immerse himself fully in the role play, carefully choosing his language and keeping in third person the entire time. In his words:

“Joshua Dobbs is a quarterback from the University of Tennessee... Four year starter at the U of T. Understands what it’s like to be the face of a program. His on the field characteristics: He's tough, physically and mentally understands the game. Understands play caller’s intent and what the defense is doing. He can stand in the pocket and make throws but he can also break the pocket and make plays if things break down. Joshua Dobbs has a bright future and has the opportunity to be the face of a franchise and be a productive quarterback in the National Football League for any team that gives him the opportunity.”

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/04/nfl-draft-best-running-backs-2014-leonard-fournette-ezekiel-elliott-dalvin-cook-tre-mason-christian

17 hours ago, Matt39 said:

3 year starter

SEC

63% completion last year

Nailed his interviews

But Mitch(ell) Trubisky

I think its just a consistency thing with him.  He can look so good and so bad all in the same game.  This years win vs. the Gators is a perfect example.  He was atrocious in the 1st half.  Couldnt hit sh*t and had 2 picks and they were down 21-3.  And then he goes off and leads them to a victory in the 2nd half.  Week to week he's up and down as well.  Relies on his legs a lot.

He's got some tools tough.  The local radio around here is calling him this years Dak which I think is silly, Dak was considerably better but I see the comparison.  Athletic duel threat guys who have good mechanics/tools/size but dont jump off the screen as an NFL QB.

30 minutes ago, C Mart said:

THE SMARTEST QB IN THE DRAFT

Joshua Dobbs is a classic over-achiever. At Tennessee, he started as a true freshman. He led the Volunteers to three straight bowl wins. He majored in aerospace engineering. He spent the summer of 2015 interning for Pratt & Whitney, an aerospace manufacturer. Last season, he recorded 3,781 yards of total offense, second-most in school history behind only Peyton Manning.

Dobbs has maintained a relationship with the school’s most famous football alum. “I would text Peyton throughout his career, and he would respond on a constant basis,” Dobbs says. “I know it’s rare, and I learned how to take advantage of the connection. But you can’t give away too many of his secrets, or you might not have that relationship.”

For as precocious as Dobbs was in college, the NFL views the quarterback through a different lens: developmental prospect. In this column we have delved into the draft’s Top 5 quarterbacks (DeShone Kizer, Patrick Mahomes, Mitchell Trubisky, Deshaun Watson and Davis Webb), all of whom would be asked to run an NFL offense soon. Dobbs headlines a second tier: Quarterbacks that teams believe could have the capacity to run a team, but it would need to invest time to get there. Though he has a quick release and throws a decent deep ball, most of Dobbs’ college records came due to his ability to run (he joined Dak Prescott and Tim Tebow as the only SEC quarterbacks with 15 passing touchdowns and 10 rushing touchdowns in multiple seasons). The importance of his rushing ability will be diminished in an NFL offense. There are concerns about Dobbs’ accuracy and decision-making, including the 12 interceptions he threw last season.

But Dobbs, 6' 3" and 216 pounds, is keeping his stock afloat with an “It” factor. He dazzled in interviews at the combine. “I was very impressed by him in our session,” says an evaluator whose team interviewed Dobbs in Indianapolis. “His football IQ is exactly where you want a starting QB to be.”

“I guess I just don’t get it when people call me a developmental prospect,” Dobbs says. “It downplays my skills and my ability. Yes there’s a learning curve, no matter who you are, at the next level. But there are guys that have taken the reigns and just run with it. We saw it last year with Dak. We saw it with Russell Wilson. You need to give someone a chance to see what they can do. So I don’t really get the whole developmental term in general.”

When a few teams at the combine asked Dobbs if he’d be able to handle an NFL playbook, he was incredulous. “My senior year I was taking astronautics, propulsion and an aerodynamics class... all on the same day,” he says. “At the same time as football season when I was leading an SEC team. I think I can handle it.” As he plows through the pre-draft process—Senior Bowl, the combine and private workouts—Dobbs has been chipping away at his senior design project, where he needs to design, build then fly an airplane. He’s six credits shy of graduating. He simply has no time for Are you too smart to play football? inquiries. “I shouldn’t be punished for having a second passion, or plan for after playing football,” Dobbs says (in a refrain I’ve heard from John Urschel, the Baltimore Ravens guard, a published mathematician who studies at MIT in the offseason).

Dobbs, the only child to Stephanie (now retired, but a manager in corporate HR at UPS) and Robert (a VP at Wells Fargo), takes an analytical approach to football. He speaks of the game clinically—“What is the play caller’s intent? What is everyone’s role on a given play in order for the game to be successful?”—which is interesting as teams try to bridge the disconnect between his off-field intelligence and split-second decision-making.

That’s not to say Dobbs is a robotic player. His improbable 43-yard Hail Mary to defeat Georgia was a Top 10 college highlight last year. He cites a play against Florida as his favorite, a reminder of his physical toughness. “We called it ‘Danger,’” he says. “Third-and-8, we were up three. They were in man coverage and the play was drawn up for Josh Malone. It’s a quick slant, he crosses and runs for the touchdown… as I get blown up in the backfield. It’s beautiful football.”

I usually ask prospects to give me a scouting report of themselves. Of the nearly two dozen times I’ve done this, Dobbs was the only one to immerse himself fully in the role play, carefully choosing his language and keeping in third person the entire time. In his words:

“Joshua Dobbs is a quarterback from the University of Tennessee... Four year starter at the U of T. Understands what it’s like to be the face of a program. His on the field characteristics: He's tough, physically and mentally understands the game. Understands play caller’s intent and what the defense is doing. He can stand in the pocket and make throws but he can also break the pocket and make plays if things break down. Joshua Dobbs has a bright future and has the opportunity to be the face of a franchise and be a productive quarterback in the National Football League for any team that gives him the opportunity.”

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/04/nfl-draft-best-running-backs-2014-leonard-fournette-ezekiel-elliott-dalvin-cook-tre-mason-christian

Thanks for posting this . I knew I read this before somewhere  .  If you saw him as a freshman and at the end of last season you wouldn't believe it was the same kid  .

• 3 weeks later...

Dobbs seems to be this year's "late riser," getting talked up more and more as we get closer to the draft. Normally, these late-rising quarterbacks are players who dazzle in workouts but had unimpressive college production. That's not the case with Dobbs. As noted above, Dobbs and Watson are the only 2017 prospects who had their teams in the top 10 of our college passing ratings, and the Volunteers faced the No. 2 toughest schedule of opposing pass defenses, trailing only Clemson. Dobbs' stats were much better in his senior year than in previous seasons, but that usually suggests quarterback growth rather than a one-year wonder. Dobbs is this year's best chance at finding a starting-quality quarterback with a middle round pick.

Projecting Dobbs
MEAN PROJECTION, YEARS 3-5: 419 DYAR
Bust (< 500 DYAR) 53.8%
Adequate Starter
(500-1499 DYAR)
26.1%
Upper Tier (1500-2500 DYAR) 14.3%
Elite (>2500 DYAR) 5.8%

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Dobbs seems to be this year's "late riser," getting talked up more and more as we get closer to the draft. Normally, these late-rising quarterbacks are players who dazzle in workouts but had unimpressive college production. That's not the case with Dobbs. As noted above, Dobbs and Watson are the only 2017 prospects who had their teams in the top 10 of our college passing ratings, and the Volunteers faced the No. 2 toughest schedule of opposing pass defenses, trailing only Clemson. Dobbs' stats were much better in his senior year than in previous seasons, but that usually suggests quarterback growth rather than a one-year wonder. Dobbs is this year's best chance at finding a starting-quality quarterback with a middle round pick.

Projecting Dobbs
MEAN PROJECTION, YEARS 3-5: 419 DYAR
Bust (< 500 DYAR) 53.8%
Adequate Starter
(500-1499 DYAR)
26.1%
Upper Tier (1500-2500 DYAR) 14.3%
Elite (>2500 DYAR) 5.8%

Dobbs is really intriguing. Did they like Peterman? He's the other mid-round guy who seems like he might have a shot.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Dobbs is really intriguing. Did they like Peterman? He's the other mid-round guy who seems like he might have a shot.

Did not. Worst rated QB actually. 

Dobbs won the Tennessee job over Peterman, who then transferred and got two years as a starter at Pitt. Last season, he led these eight prospects with 10.1 adjusted passing yards per attempt (passing yards with a 20-yard bonus for touchdowns and a 45-yard penalty for interceptions). He did this, however, against the easiest schedule of any of these eight prospects, ranked 59th in FBS, and with the benefit of an offensive line that's likely to get two linemen drafted in the first four rounds (guard Dorian Johnson and tackle Adam Bisnowaty). Combine these facts with a lower expected draft position, and QBASE is very pessimistic about his chances for NFL success.

Scouts Inc. ranking: 75

Just now, Matt39 said:

Did not. Worst rated QB actually. 

Dobbs won the Tennessee job over Peterman, who then transferred and got two years as a starter at Pitt. Last season, he led these eight prospects with 10.1 adjusted passing yards per attempt (passing yards with a 20-yard bonus for touchdowns and a 45-yard penalty for interceptions). He did this, however, against the easiest schedule of any of these eight prospects, ranked 59th in FBS, and with the benefit of an offensive line that's likely to get two linemen drafted in the first four rounds (guard Dorian Johnson and tackle Adam Bisnowaty). Combine these facts with a lower expected draft position, and QBASE is very pessimistic about his chances for NFL success.

Yikes. Thanks.

On 4/6/2017 at 8:27 PM, Matt39 said:

3 year starter

SEC

63% completion last year

Nailed his interviews

But Mitch(ell) Trubisky

I live in Tennessee and saw ALL of his games. He is streaky, and inaccurate at times. But he has a lot of upside. He is off the charts smart, has great mobility and has a gun for an arm. I would take a shot at him in the third round with the compensatory pick.

On 4/7/2017 at 2:40 PM, Tinstar said:

Thanks for posting this . I knew I read this before somewhere  .  If you saw him as a freshman and at the end of last season you wouldn't believe it was the same kid  .

He came a long way from his freshman season where he basically operated the run option because he could run better than he could throw.

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

He came a long way from his freshman season where he basically operated the run option because he could run better than he could throw.

I like the potential of this kid, but I'm not sure where I would draft him .  I think he's too smart not to succeed  .

I wouldn't get my hopes up on this, btw. We haven't had Dobbs in for a facility visit, which we tend to do with QBs, even outside the first (Petty and Hackenberg were both visits). If we end up taking a QB at all, I think the likeliest scenaio is Mahomes followed by Trubisky.

Not a fan of Dobbs. Then again I wasn't a big fan of Dak. He is very athletic and in the right system could surprise. But I have watched him try to be a pocket passer in college and it's usually ugly. Reminds a lot of Logan Thomas. People fall in love with the size,athleticism and speed and ignore the inability to complete basic passes. 

With that said, I'd rather take him in the 5th than any of the top QB prospects at 6. 

Josh Dobbs   QB   Tennessee

Josh has the athletic talent to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. He also has the leadership skills that are unique and could make him better than just a starting quarterback. Josh right now is an athlete playing the quarterback position but there is no doubt in my mind of his ability in the future to work from the pocket. He shows a good strong arm and when his feet are set he shows good accuracy. He definitely can move and run outside the pocket but when he learns to slide and give himself some time to make plays from the pocket, I see a quarterback with excellent potential. Josh plays the game like he is still playing sand lot football. That is the type of football that you do whatever you have to do to make a play. There is a quality in the way Josh works his teammates that reminds me a lot of former Bears QB Jim McMahon. He doesn’t have McMahon’s technical & mechanical skills but he has that “seat of the pants” leadership skills. 

CONCERNS
The fact is… Josh is a development quarterback and I could name numerous issues that he has to correct but the other undisputable fact is that the kid is a sponge for learning. I saw that in his Senior Bowl practices and when he was throwing at the combine. Josh WANTS to learn to be an NFL quarterback. The only thing I’m not quite sure of is his arm strength. Because his mechanics are poor its difficult to tell how strong an arm he has and that means most cold weather teams will most likely steer away from selecting Josh in this draft. Warm weather teams should not have an issue because Josh looks to have least average arm strength as of this writing. 

BOTTOM LINE
Jim McMahon was one of the most consistent and mechanical sound quarterbacks I have ever seen. He had the leadership ability to make his teammates think that he didn’t care how the game was played but the truth is he was a bit of a perfectionist. Josh gives me that same feeling and although right now he is not the technical sound quarterback that Jim was I do believe he will eventually be proficient in all areas of the QB position because, he seems to have that same perfectionist type of attitude. I like his ability to see the whole field even if he struggles to understand what to do with that ability. I like the way he works his teammates on the sidelines. I also like the way he is in control before the snap of the ball in spite of the fact that things get out of control after the snap of the ball. Josh should be an excellent backup quarterback while he learns because he is very smart and will not need a lot of reps to learn the plays. He will need a lot of reps to learn how to get better playing the position technically but the play book will never be an issue for him. A smart team will select Josh and develop him and that smart team could find themselves a future quarterback who could lead the team into the playoffs and the big game. Of course that will take some time but I think Josh will be worth that time. 

Drew Boylhart  MAR.2017

Archived