Allan Holdsworth, R.I.P.

munchmemory

One of the great guitar players--even if a bit esoteric--has passed on.  Influenced, and played with, many of the greats in the rock and rock-fusion worlds.  RIP.

We've just learned from his daughter, Louise, that legendary guitarist Allan Holdsworth passed away on April 16, 2017.

"It is with heavy hearts that we notify everyone of the passing of our beloved father," she posted on Facebook. "We would appreciate privacy and time while we grieve the loss of our dad, granddad, friend and musical genius. We will update close friends and family when service arrangements have been made and will notify the public of an open memorial service, which all would be welcome. We are undeniably still in shock with his unexpected death and cannot begin to put into words the overwhelming sadness we are experiencing. He is missed tremendously." — Louise, Sam, Emily & Rori

At press time, further details were sketchy, and we will continue to develop this story. 

Guitar Player just reviewed his latest box set in the May 2017 issue: 

The Man Who Changed Guitar Forever
Allan Holdsworth
It’s not often that Guitar Player is credited with naming an album, but our April 2008 cover story on Holdsworth inspired the title of this massive 12-CD box set. I’d say, “Thanks and bravo,” but, apparently, the maestro was somewhat embarrassed by the slogan. Not that he should be, because this collection of albums from 1982’s I.O.U to 2003’s Then! proves Holdsworth’s astonishing technique, unbridled creativity, iridescent tone, dynamic touch, exquisite taste, and expansive melodic strategies have absolutely changed guitarcraft for any player aspiring beyond his or her first barre chord. It’s a humbling experience to relive these seminal albums—how can he be so imaginative and, well, scary brilliant?—but it’s also a treasure trove of possibilities and vision. Dive in and be changed. Manifesto Records. —Michael Molenda

GP's Barry Cleveland last talked to Holdsworth in 2014. CLICK HERE for the interview. 

A snippet of his genius...

http://www.guitarplayer.com/artists/1013/allan-holdsworth-1946-2017/62513

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

My first experience with this fantastic musician was his work on UK's 1st album.

Sweet melodic leads, strange chords, moving .  Just fantastic.

Eddie Van Halen counts him as one of his mentors and role models.

That record is insanely great.  Sadly, almost unknown to most folks.

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

That record is insanely great.  Sadly, almost unknown to most folks.

Read this POST from Bill Bruford.  Amazing.

R.I.P. Allan Holdsworth (August 6, 1946 - April 16, 2017).

With enormous sadness I write to express my condolences to Allan's family on the loss of a much-loved father and grandfather, my friend and colleague. For several years in the 1970s, through my own band and 'UK', I listened to him nightly, launching sheets of sound on an unsuspecting audience, changing perceptions about what guitars and guitarists should or could be doing, thrilling me half to death.I would have paid to be at my own gig.

Allan wasn't easy, but if it was easy it wouldn't have been Allan. Like all creative musicians he was restless and relentless in pursuit of 'the perfect sound', the one that he couldn't get out of his head, the one that would never leave him alone. Now he will be at peace. Still, my guitar gently weeps.

Bill Bruford

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Read this POST from Bill Bruford.  Amazing.

R.I.P. Allan Holdsworth (August 6, 1946 - April 16, 2017).

With enormous sadness I write to express my condolences to Allan's family on the loss of a much-loved father and grandfather, my friend and colleague. For several years in the 1970s, through my own band and 'UK', I listened to him nightly, launching sheets of sound on an unsuspecting audience, changing perceptions about what guitars and guitarists should or could be doing, thrilling me half to death.I would have paid to be at my own gig.

Allan wasn't easy, but if it was easy it wouldn't have been Allan. Like all creative musicians he was restless and relentless in pursuit of 'the perfect sound', the one that he couldn't get out of his head, the one that would never leave him alone. Now he will be at peace. Still, my guitar gently weeps.

Bill Bruford

Wow.  Especially from a pro like Bruford.  Thanks for sharing southpark.

13 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Why don't you touch me touch me now now now now now!

That song has been a part of my life for many decades now.  I never tire of the various movements.  This live version is absolutely incredible.  Think I play it at least once a week.  Hope you dig it.  The "now...now...now" section is really powerful.

Archived