NBA- Which 5 on 5 Generation would you take?

HessStation

Great question and great choices!

By Malone, do you mean Moses or the Mailman?  Might make a difference (Moses was better IMO).

I have to go with the new group, frankly, because the front court of Shaq, Duncan and LeBron are better than the Dream, Malone and Bird IMO.

Look at the championships of the new age front court (12 vs. 6 (if Moses) or 5 if Mailman).

Love the 1980's NBA, but I think the modern lineup is significantly stronger, particularly in the frontcourt, as SMC notes.  Tough to pick against a backcourt with Jordan, but I think Curry's 3-point shooting would be a huge problem for the 80's group.  

58 minutes ago, SMC said:

By Malone, do you mean Moses or the Mailman?  Might make a difference (Moses was better IMO).

I have to go with the new group, frankly, because the front court of Shaq, Duncan and LeBron are better than the Dream, Malone and Bird IMO.

Look at the championships of the new age front court (12 vs. 6 (if Moses) or 5 if Mailman).

Crappola i was thinking about Karl...not Moses. But you make a good point. That itself would be a good debate. I'm gonna go with Mailman though. 

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I'd substitute Harden for Kobe...and probably Barkley for Malone.

I was thinking about this on a long commute home. I literally spent 10 mins debating in my head between Barkley or Malone.

I don't think Hardon for Kobe can be considered legitimate at this point imo and I hated Kobe. 

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I was thinking about this on a long commute home. I literally spent 10 mins debating in my head between Barkley or Malone.

I don't think Hardon for Kobe can be considered legitimate at this point imo and I hated Kobe. 

I figured if you had Curry in there Harden was a possibility

Just now, Matt39 said:

I figured if you had Curry in there Harden was a possibility

But Curry has a championship and will probably get a few more before all is said and done. ANd an MVP. 

THere just wasn't as distict an opposition like with Kobe, whom to me is more clear cut.

I also debated Kidd or Nash for newer school team lol. 

You're touching on the debated starters though. WHich for me were

Curry vs. Kidd/Nash

Malone vs. Barkley...I at least thoguht about Kemp for a breif moment 

Akeem vs. Kareem

Was also hard to figure leaving KG and Dirk out of the mix. 

I orginally tried doing three teams from three generations. 

80s-early 90s

00's

and then current

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Keep in mind almost Post prime Akeem sweeped Pre prime Shaq 

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Maybe even better to do it 4 Teams by decade and players that split decades you'd just favor whichever they were more dominant in?

Everyone likes to make Jordan's retirement the demarcation line but the defensive three second rule introduced in 2001 was what really changed the league and made it all about spacing and pacing

I think it's valid putting Curry and Shaq together in same era. They did play against each other. I look at it as a 20 year period 1980-1999 vs 2000-2017.

Jordan and The Dream weren't really in the same era as Bird if we want to separate Curry and Shaq because Bird was washed up by time Jordan and Dream hit their primes. Dream, Mailman and Bird would get worn diwn.

And Hess, yeah Dream abused a young Shaq but your OP said everyone in their prime. Would be heck of a battle but Shaq, Duncan and LeBron is ridiculous in their prime. 

48 minutes ago, SMC said:

I think it's valid putting Curry and Shaq together in same era. They did play against each other. I look at it as a 20 year period 1980-1999 vs 2000-2017.

Jordan and The Dream weren't really in the same era as Bird if we want to separate Curry and Shaq because Bird was washed up by time Jordan and Dream hit their primes. Dream, Mailman and Bird would get worn diwn.

And Hess, yeah Dream abused a young Shaq but your OP said everyone in their prime. Would be heck of a battle but Shaq, Duncan and LeBron is ridiculous in their prime. 

Absolutely! Those 3 players are really what made the 00-17 and really Bird, Magic, Jordan are what made 80-99. So really by that standard you'd have to give the advantage to the team with size, as you bring up in your previous post....not that Mailman, Akeem are pushovers...

Ironic though that the more modern team has the better "big men" in a sense, given half the timeline of that team's qualifications, there are no real big men left. Shaq is the last "great" and Howard is pretty much the last "star"...even if only for a slice of his career. Hibbert was like the last "almost" My original 3rd team (most modern) it took me some time and I put down Anthony Davis with Curry, Wade, Durant Lebron,

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Absolutely! Those 3 players are really what made the 00-17 and really Bird, Magic, Jordan are what made 80-99. So really by that standard you'd have to give the advantage to the team with size, as you bring up in your previous post....not that Mailman, Akeem are pushovers...

Ironic though that the more modern team has the better "big men" in a sense, given half the timeline of that team's qualifications, there are no real big men left. Shaq is the last "great" and Howard is pretty much the last "star"...even if only for a slice of his career. Hibbert was like the last "almost" My original 3rd team (most modern) it took me some time and I put down Anthony Davis with Curry, Wade, Durant Lebron,

Towns is going to be the guy. Gobert is also awesome.

Also, did anyone else catch the 30 for 30 Orlando Magic....crazy hard to watch and really makes you wonder what could have be for Penny. Like, really, he could have been....or should have been what Kobe was. You get the impression Shaq thought more highly of Penny than Kobe. And how much of Kobe was really Shaq? Guess there's no right answer without a time machine but reminded me that small window of greatness with Penny. 

10 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Also, did anyone else catch the 30 for 30 Orlando Magic....crazy hard to watch and really makes you wonder what could have be for Penny. Like, really, he could have been....or should have been what Kobe was. You get the impression Shaq thought more highly of Penny than Kobe. And how much of Kobe was really Shaq? Guess there's no right answer without a time machine but reminded me that small window of greatness with Penny. 

I wish they'd do a follow up all about Lil Penny.

Yeah, Hess, that was a great 30 for 30.  The Magic owners totally blew that by waffling on Shaq's re-signing.  Completely ruined the franchise by being so shortsighted.  May have saved Penny too because he wouldn't have had to shoulder the load.

And I agree with your time breakdown, Hess.  Essentially 2 twenty year periods are comparable.  Otherwise you'd have to do 4 teams from each decade from 1980 to today (3 teams wouldn't work because one era would be longer than others).  Plus, this allows for the accumulation of champions.  Davis, Durant, Harden etc. don't have the championship hardware to compete.

Frankly, it's going to be hard for any era to compete with the 2000-2020 era because of Shaq, Duncan and LeBron.

Also, if you were to make an all decades team....do you just take the two best guards or do you honestly try and create what would make the best team? Example 80's Guards...obviously Magic and Thomas. But do actually consider Rolando Blackmon, Majerle or Drexler over Isaiah? makes the team seem significantly less fancy.

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

Also, if you were to make an all decades team....do you just take the two best guards or do you honestly try and create what would make the best team? Example 80's Guards...obviously Magic and Thomas. But do actually consider Rolando Blackmon, Majerle or Drexler over Isaiah? makes the team seem significantly less fancy.

Isiah's always been overrated to me and that's even before he destroyed the Knicks. Stockton was better than he was. 

4 minutes ago, SMC said:

Yeah, Hess, that was a great 30 for 30.  The Magic owners totally blew that by waffling on Shaq's re-signing.  Completely ruined the franchise by being so shortsighted.  May have saved Penny too because he wouldn't have had to shoulder the load.

And I agree with your time breakdown, Hess.  Essentially 2 twenty year periods are comparable.  Otherwise you'd have to do 4 teams from each decade from 1980 to today (3 teams wouldn't work because one era would be longer than others).  Plus, this allows for the accumulation of champions.  Davis, Durant, Harden etc. don't have the championship hardware to compete.

Frankly, it's going to be hard for any era to compete with the 2000-2020 era because of Shaq, Duncan and LeBron.

What makes those three even more formidable is that they actually would sorta fit in with each other style wise, too. Like they would actually most likely complement each very well.  

Just now, Matt39 said:

Isiah's always been overrated to me and that's even before he destroyed the Knicks. Stockton was better than he was. 

But even so, you'd still have two point guards and no shooting guard. I think of Stockton as the perfect complimentary player to a star or THE star, that was Malone. 

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

But even so, you'd still have two point guards and no shooting guard. I think of Stockton as the perfect complimentary player to a star or THE star, that was Malone. 

I always considered Stockton a star. Has every major record for point guards. If we're talking 2 guards of that era(or around it) I'd probably go Reggie, even though he was the worst.

Just now, Matt39 said:

I always considered Stockton a star. Has every major record for point guards. If we're talking 2 guards of that era(or around it) I'd probably go Reggie.

Yeah I was thinking strickly 80's though...and would figure in Jordan, Reggie 90's...if the rule I'm using would be, where they were most dominant....

7 minutes ago, HessStation said:

What makes those three even more formidable is that they actually would sorta fit in with each other style wise, too. Like they would actually most likely complement each very well.  

Absolutely.  Shaq, Duncan and LeBron are big, athletic and don't overlap.  And they won 12 rings thus far for a reason.  Those 3 would punish Dream, Malone and Bird in the second half.

6 minutes ago, HessStation said:

80's was actually extremely lame for SGs lol

True, relatively speaking.  The Guard bench would be better for the 2000/2010s Team.

If we were making a bench for the 80/90s Team, you'd include in the SGs:  Reggie, Dumars, Drexler, Tim Hardaway and Kevin Johnson

8 minutes ago, SMC said:

Absolutely.  Shaq, Duncan and LeBron are big, athletic and don't overlap.  And they won 12 rings thus far for a reason.  Those 3 would punish Dream, Malone and Bird in the second half.

True but I think on D, Malone and Akeem would switch, Malone on Shaq is about as good as anyone else I can think of and Akeem on Duncan is extremely fair and even. Bird would be a little mismatched but he was more athletic than given credit for in heyday. Magic would give Curry fits. Jordan on Kobe would be superb...

10 minutes ago, SMC said:

True, relatively speaking.  The Guard bench would be better for the 2000/2010s Team.

If we were making a bench for the 80/90s Team, you'd include in the SGs:  Reggie, Dumars, Drexler, Tim Hardaway and Kevin Johnson

Maybe it's just me bc i was young but I have a hard time putting Dumars on the team at all. Matt thought Thomas was overrated, I think that way about Dumars. 

Putting a bench together would def be interesting. I agree Reggie, mmm Hardaway...maybe Drexler...Kevin Johnson just misses . 

If I take 5 bench guards:

- Reggie

-Drexler

-Hardaway, Tim

-Gary Payton

-Stockton

EDIT sh*t only 4 bench G's....ok I'd probably pull Hardaway off the roster

Archived