NBA- Which 5 on 5 Generation would you take?

HessStation

Dominque is SF so he'd definitely be a bench 3

If we do 4 guards for 80/90, it would have to be Stockton, Payton, Isiah and Drexler.

The backup centers would be Patrick and the Admiral.  The two extra Fs would be Dominique and Barkley

Just now, SMC said:

Dominque is SF so he'd definitely be a bench 3

If we do 4 guards for 80/90, it would have to be Stockton, Payton, Isiah and Drexler.

The backup centers would be Patrick and the Admiral.  The two extra Fs would be Dominique and Barkley

rodman over dominique

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

rodman over Dominique

I agree.  People forget how good Rodman was for Detroit.

1980/90s Team--Starters

G-Magic

G-Jordan

F-Bird

F-Karl Malone

C-Hakeem

Bench

G-Isiah

G-Stockton

G-Payton

G-Drexler

F-Barkley

F-Rodman

C--Ewing

On 4/18/2017 at 10:39 PM, SMC said:

I agree.  People forget how good Rodman was for Detroit.

1980/90s Team--Starters

G-Magic

G-Jordan

F-Bird

F-Karl Malone

C-Hakeem

Bench

G-Isiah

G-Stockton

G-Payton

G-Drexler

F-Barkley

F-Rodman

C--Ewing

Herein lies the answer to why this team couldn't win... their 3PT shooting is atrocious.  You have 3 PG's on the bench, none of whom have any shooting range.   You need Reggie in there for that reason alone.

On 4/18/2017 at 10:46 PM, SMC said:

2000/2010s Team--Starters

G-Curry

G-Kobe

F-LeBron

F-Duncan

C-Shaq

Bench

G-Wade

G-Parker

G-Nash

G-Paul

F-Garnet

F-Dirk

C-Pau Gasol

Was Durant an intentional snub, or an oversight? 

Replace Parker with Kidd.  Feels wrong to leave off Iverson, but his game wasn't well-suited to being on a team of stars.

16 minutes ago, JohnnyHector said:

Replace Parker with Kidd.  Feels wrong to leave off Iverson, but his game wasn't well-suited to being on a team of stars.

I always thought that Iverson would best be used with one of those giant PGs.  The kind that could never cover him.  Pair Iverson with a pre-injury Penny Hardaway or even a prime Steve Smith type and you might have a backcourt that isn't a "good" as your all-time greats, but could give them trouble.  

My contrarian team:

F. Coleman F. Human Highlight Film C: Admiral G Penny G Iverson

Put some bombers on the bench: Reggie, Mullin, Price and/or Rice and guys like Buck and Kemp for toughness and size. Chambers, KJ.  They wouldn't beat any of your teams, but they probably wouldn't be swept either. 

12 hours ago, JohnnyHector said:

It's kind of nuts with him. He is hands down the most exciting basketball player I ever saw and I don't think he'd make the bench of a team that I'm drafting from scratch even if I could have a third squad.

On April 18, 2017 at 8:57 PM, HessStation said:

But even so, you'd still have two point guards and no shooting guard. I think of Stockton as the perfect complimentary player to a star or THE star, that was Malone. 

Stockton is the greatest PG of all time.  Only guy better was Magic who I don't consider really a pg he was Lebron before Lebron

8 hours ago, thadude said:

Stockton is the greatest PG of all time.  Only guy better was Magic who I don't consider really a pg he was Lebron before Lebron

The perfect complimentary player is kinda like the same as saying the perfect point guard. We're talking about the best of the best though. I think I'd have to take Stockton over everyone besides Magic too. He's like the definition. I think why I'd take Stockton over a Kidd or Payton is how he could stick 3's when need be too. Or at least that's how I remember him. One of the quickest guys on the court too. Quicker and stronger than everyone else it seemed.

On April 22, 2017 at 8:10 AM, HessStation said:

The perfect complimentary player is kinda like the same as saying the perfect point guard. We're talking about the best of the best though. I think I'd have to take Stockton over everyone besides Magic too. He's like the definition. I think why I'd take Stockton over a Kidd or Payton is how he could stick 3's when need be too. Or at least that's how I remember him. One of the quickest guys on the court too. Quicker and stronger than everyone else it seemed.

I think Stockton has the all-time assist record.  The longevity of his career I think is a major plus him and Malone played a very long time

1 hour ago, thadude said:

I think Stockton has the all-time assist record.  The longevity of his career I think is a major plus him and Malone played a very long time

I think there's somewhat a collective agreement in the best post 80 Starting 5 is:

PG Magic

SG Jordan

SF LeBron

PF Duncan

C Shaq

question is who's the other 7 on the active roster? To try and create the perfect team vs. just taking the next best 7 players I'd go:

Stockton: Best pure PG

Miller: Best pure outside shooter SG

Bird: Best pure shooter SF

Olajuwon: back up C

Kemp: for above the rim PF-C

Wilkins: for above the rim SF

Curry: quickness and range

I think this is the most unstoppable team you could create.

On 4/18/2017 at 3:59 PM, HessStation said:

Which team do you take if all players are in their prime?

G Magic

G Jordan 

F Bird

F Malone (Mailman)

C Olajuwon 

vs. 

G Curry

G Kobe

F LeBron

F Duncan 

C Shaq

I edited this from 3 teams to 2 lol...wanted to spark some conversation...possibly lol

I'll take the first group.  A couple of reasons:

1.  The Jordan factor. 

2. Magic beating the snot out of Curry every single time down the court.  Curry has never seen a physical freak like Magic who could beat his ass on the offensive side of the court.  Sure, I could see Magic struggling to cover his range but that's fine, let him have it.  Magic would wear his ass down come 4th quarter.  

3.  Nobody could stop Olajuwon on this list.  The fade away would be there all day, every day.  Shaq vs. the Dream happened in the Finals and the Dream dominated.  Granted Shaq was still young but the Dream was literally unstoppable at that point.  It was basically Kareem's sky hook.  It was totally unstoppable.

4. Duncan vs. Malone - I know I'm probably in the minority, but the Mailman was a better player IMO.  And in this particular match up, he's creating more points than Duncan because of his ability to pass and score.  Sure, Duncan probably gives you more than the Mailman on D but not much.  And lets be honest, Duncan never had to face the big men that Malone had to in his career.  I know..."The Rings".  Cool.  I get it, I'd still take Malone.

5. Hack a Shaq - I'd foul the mother****er every time down the court and I'd feed The Dream until Shaq got into foul trouble.

6. **** LeBron James.

7. Did I mention Jordan? 

8.  I havent even brought Larry Bird into the conversation.

9. Steph Curry is a bitch.

10. Duncan would kill himself surrounded with that group of a$$hole on this team. 

On 4/18/2017 at 9:34 PM, HessStation said:

Also, did anyone else catch the 30 for 30 Orlando Magic....crazy hard to watch and really makes you wonder what could have be for Penny. Like, really, he could have been....or should have been what Kobe was. You get the impression Shaq thought more highly of Penny than Kobe. And how much of Kobe was really Shaq? Guess there's no right answer without a time machine but reminded me that small window of greatness with Penny. 

On 4/18/2017 at 9:49 PM, SMC said:

Yeah, Hess, that was a great 30 for 30.  The Magic owners totally blew that by waffling on Shaq's re-signing.  Completely ruined the franchise by being so shortsighted.  May have saved Penny too because he wouldn't have had to shoulder the load.

And I agree with your time breakdown, Hess.  Essentially 2 twenty year periods are comparable.  Otherwise you'd have to do 4 teams from each decade from 1980 to today (3 teams wouldn't work because one era would be longer than others).  Plus, this allows for the accumulation of champions.  Davis, Durant, Harden etc. don't have the championship hardware to compete.

Frankly, it's going to be hard for any era to compete with the 2000-2020 era because of Shaq, Duncan and LeBron.

Moved to Orlando from New York when I was a kid.  The Magic are the only "2nd" team I have in any sport.

I was there for this all.  Penny was unreal.  Shaq was insane.  Orlando was poised to be a contender for a long time.  That was until the stupid Magic started to actually thinking Shaq wasnt worth the money.  The crazy part and when I think Shaq was finally like peace, the Orlando Sentinel released a survey asking the people of Orlando if Shaq was worth a 100 mill or something like that...and like 80% of the city said NO!!!!!  Unreal.  He was bye bye after that.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I'll take the first group.  A couple of reasons:

1.  The Jordan factor. 

2. Magic beating the snot out of Curry every single time down the court.  Curry has never seen a physical freak like Magic who could beat his ass on the offensive side of the court.  Sure, I could see Magic struggling to cover his range but that's fine, let him have it.  Magic would wear his ass down come 4th quarter.  

3.  Nobody could stop Olajuwon on this list.  The fade away would be there all day, every day.  Shaq vs. the Dream happened in the Finals and the Dream dominated.  Granted Shaq was still young but the Dream was literally unstoppable at that point.  It was basically Kareem's sky hook.  It was totally unstoppable.

4. Duncan vs. Malone - I know I'm probably in the minority, but the Mailman was a better player IMO.  And in this particular match up, he's creating more points than Duncan because of his ability to pass and score.  Sure, Duncan probably gives you more than the Mailman on D but not much.  And lets be honest, Duncan never had to face the big men that Malone had to in his career.  I know..."The Rings".  Cool.  I get it, I'd still take Malone.

5. Hack a Shaq - I'd foul the mother****er every time down the court and I'd feed The Dream until Shaq got into foul trouble.

6. **** LeBron James.

7. Did I mention Jordan? 

8.  I havent even brought Larry Bird into the conversation.

9. Steph Curry is a bitch.

10. Duncan would kill himself surrounded with that group of a$$hole on this team. 

1,7.  Remains to be seen how flopping would affect Jordan's game

2.  If Magic has to cover Curry, he's getting the worst of this matchup.  I'm no fanboy by any means, but against Magic, Curry would be able to get off his shot at will.  The thing that people are failing to factor in here is that a 3 is worth 50% more points than a 2.  Assuming scoring in the paint and from the charity stripe to be a wash, a team of guys that can shoot even 50% from midrange is going to lose to a team that can shoot around 40% from downtown.

3. Garnett/Duncan could certainly hold their own.  How many elite defensive centers did Olajuwon (my favorite player, btw) face each season?  Let's not act like he was averaging 40+ a game against guys who were far worse defenders than Garnett (an all-time great defensive player, even though he's the biggest fake tough guy of all-time) and Duncan.

4. You're out of your mind.

5. Adjust and go small.  Have Duncan, Garnett, or Pau play the 5 for stretches.

6. Dumb

8. This isn't Jack Sikma or Kiki Vandeweghe that Larry Legend would need to guard.  Do you seriously think he'd have any prayer guarding the likes of LeBron?

9. Perhaps true, but his Jordan is the only guy who can guard him with his handle and release.  Who is going to stop Kobe or LeBron then?

10.  Probably true, but irrelevant

The game has completely changed and the athleticism and 3-point shooting of the latter era would simply be too much for the 80's guys to handle.

54 minutes ago, JiF said:

Moved to Orlando from New York when I was a kid.  The Magic are the only "2nd" team I have in any sport.

I was there for this all.  Penny was unreal.  Shaq was insane.  Orlando was poised to be a contender for a long time.  That was until the stupid Magic started to actually thinking Shaq wasnt worth the money.  The crazy part and when I think Shaq was finally like peace, the Orlando Sentinel released a survey asking the people of Orlando if Shaq was worth a 100 mill or something like that...and like 80% of the city said NO!!!!!  Unreal.  He was bye bye after that.

Thanks for the inside info that was all provided in the 30 for 30 that everyone posting in here watched as well.

19 minutes ago, JohnnyHector said:

1,7.  Remains to be seen how flopping would affect Jordan's game

2.  If Magic has to cover Curry, he's getting the worst of this matchup.  I'm no fanboy by any means, but against Magic, Curry would be able to get off his shot at will.  The thing that people are failing to factor in here is that a 3 is worth 50% more points than a 2.  Assuming scoring in the paint and from the charity stripe to be a wash, a team of guys that can shoot even 50% from midrange is going to lose to a team that can shoot around 40% from downtown.

3. Garnett/Duncan could certainly hold their own.  How many elite defensive centers did Olajuwon (my favorite player, btw) face each season?  Let's not act like he was averaging 40+ a game against guys who were far worse defenders than Garnett (an all-time great defensive player, even though he's the biggest fake tough guy of all-time) and Duncan.

4. You're out of your mind.

5. Adjust and go small.  Have Duncan, Garnett, or Pau play the 5 for stretches.

6. Dumb

8. This isn't Jack Sikma or Kiki Vandeweghe that Larry Legend would need to guard.  Do you seriously think he'd have any prayer guarding the likes of LeBron?

9. Perhaps true, but his Jordan is the only guy who can guard him with his handle and release.  Who is going to stop Kobe or LeBron then?

10.  Probably true, but irrelevant

The game has completely changed and the athleticism and 3-point shooting of the latter era would simply be too much for the 80's guys to handle.

1,7.  LeBron James in the biggest flopper in the history of the sport next to Vlade Divac.

2.  Let him defend Magic for an entire game and see if he's shooting 50% in the 4th.  

3.  The Dream fade was unstoppable.  It was the sky hook.  Neither of these guys could defend it.  Olajuwon had to go against a ton of great bigs unlike those.

4.  You're out of yours.

5. The conversation was about a starting 5.

6. **** LeBron James

8. Bird would drop dimes in LeBron's face for fun.  He would literally point on the spot on the floor and smile while doing it.  Trying to defend LeBron?  Can anyone?

9.  He'd be crying for his mommy come 4th quarter trying to defend Magic on the other end.  It's not like we havent seen Steph choke in the Finals before. 

10. Totally relevant.  When you put a bunches of whiny little dick bags on the same team, bad things happen.

Sure.  The 3 pointer changed everything.  Interestingly enough, in the Finals last year...the team that won the Finals made less than half as many as their opponent. 

17 minutes ago, JohnnyHector said:

Thanks for the inside info that was all provided in the 30 for 30 that everyone posting in here watched as well.

I thought the Orlando Sentinel survey was a new introduction. 

Who invited you back here anyway?  

GFY

50 minutes ago, JiF said:

I thought the Orlando Sentinel survey was a new introduction. 

Who invited you back here anyway?  

GFY

Shaq himself talks about it in the special. 

I'd tell you to EAD, but that'd be like telling you to go breathe.  I can't be bothered to address your other response, as it was without substance.

59 minutes ago, JohnnyHector said:

Shaq himself talks about it in the special. 

I'd tell you to EAD, but that'd be like telling you to go breathe.  I can't be bothered to address your other response, as it was without substance.

I've actually missed you quite a bit. 

Welcome back. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I feel as though my relationship with Hector is similar to ours.  I admire you both but hate your ******* guts. 

I hate that Lebron James gets a free ride every year strolling through the eastern conference while the West has to actually battle.  

On 4/20/2017 at 11:13 AM, JohnnyHector said:

I could go either way on Parker and Kidd.  I went with Parker because of his big game experience.  Parker has been phenomenal in the postseason and a major cop in 4 titles.  Kidd is great, but can't match the hardware.

Durant didn't make the cut for me because he doesn't have a title and longevity compared to Dirk, Garnet and Pau.  Plus, those are true big men who play like big men, which Durant doesn't.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

I hate that Lebron James gets a free ride every year strolling through the eastern conference while the West has to actually battle.  

Say hello to Tom Brady and Montana in their respective eras.  That's just the way sports happens.  Sometimes great players play at a time when it is easier to get to the championship game or series than others.

If Ewing was born in 1976 rather than 1962, he'd have multiple championships.

Archived