Draft Rumors

C Mart

Charlie Campbell‏ @DraftCampbell

Sources tell me the Jets and Browns are talking trade. Browns move up from 12 to 6, targeting QB. Jets want pick 33..Would be on clock if desired QB is there

There have been plenty of rumors about the Browns are targeting a quarterback with one of their early selections in the 2017 NFL Draft. There also has been a lot of talk that the New York Jets would like to trade down from the sixth-overall pick in the draft. WalterFootball.com has learned from sources that the Browns and Jets are talking about a trade that would have the Browns moving up from the 12th pick to the Jets' selection at No. 6 in order to take a quarterback. Cleveland is said to want North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky. 

In order to move down, the Jets want the 33rd-overall pick (second round) and the selection at No. 108 (fourth round). Those are the first choices on the second and third days of the draft. Leading off those days of the draft, New York would have some highly coveted picks that could allow them to trade down again with a team that is desperate to land a playerthey didn't think would make it to that spot.

Cleveland is trying to trade its second-round pick, No. 52 overall, and the first selection in the fifth round, No. 145. With the sixth pick, the Browns are believed to want Trubisky. Cleveland is concerned that the Jets or the Bills (at pick 10) would take Trubisky before Cleveland is on the clock at 12. Even if Trubisky goes off the board earlier to the 49ers (2) or the Bears (3), the Browns may want to do the trade in order to land Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson before Buffalo is on the clock. 

The Browns likely would want to know their targets are available before doing the trade. Thus, this deal probably won't happen until the draft has already started and the Jets are on the clock with the players available. It also could easily fall apart if New York doesn't feel like it is getting good value, or the Browns not being willing to meet the Jets' price. Many trades like this never come to fruition because teams can't agree on the pick package or the desired player isn't available, but these two are in discussions right now about swapping picks.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, C Mart said:

Sources tell me the Jets and Browns are talking trade. Browns move up from 12 to 6, targeting QB. Jets want pick 33

I would do that in a heartbeat. At 12 we could still land Mike Williams/OJ Howard/Cook or one of the super talented CBs that fall to 12. 

At 33 we would also get Njoku/Corey Davis/OL/ or CB if we go offense 12. 

11 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Sources tell me the Jets and Browns are talking trade. Browns move up from 12 to 6, targeting QB. Jets want pick 33

There have been plenty of rumors about the Browns are targeting a quarterback with one of their early selections in the 2017 NFL Draft. There also has been a lot of talk that the New York Jets would like to trade down from the sixth-overall pick in the draft. WalterFootball.com has learned from sources that the Browns and Jets are talking about a trade that would have the Browns moving up from the 12th pick to the Jets' selection at No. 6 in order to take a quarterback. Cleveland is said to want North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky. 

In order to move down, the Jets want the 33rd-overall pick (second round) and the selection at No. 108 (fourth round). Those are the first choices on the second and third days of the draft. Leading off those days of the draft, New York would have some highly coveted picks that could allow them to trade down again with a team that is desperate to land a playerthey didn't think would make it to that spot.

Cleveland is trying to trade its second-round pick, No. 52 overall, and the first selection in the fifth round, No. 145. With the sixth pick, the Browns are believed to want Trubisky. Cleveland is concerned that the Jets or the Bills (at pick 10) would take Trubisky before Cleveland is on the clock at 12. Even if Trubisky goes off the board earlier to the 49ers (2) or the Bears (3), the Browns may want to do the trade in order to land Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson before Buffalo is on the clock. 

The Browns likely would want to know their targets are available before doing the trade. Thus, this deal probably won't happen until the draft has already started and the Jets are on the clock with the players available. It also could easily fall apart if New York doesn't feel like it is getting good value, or the Browns not being willing to meet the Jets' price. Many trades like this never come to fruition because teams can't agree on the pick package or the desired player isn't available, but these two are in discussions right now about swapping picks.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill

I am not really a nail biter but I may start...8 days i may chew my fingers off by then.

Some more rumors regarding the Jets

If there’s one strong quarterback-team connection, it’s Trubisky and the Bills. They’ve had strong interest throughout the season and draft process, and they actually were one of the teams he looked to for advisement when he was making his decision to declare for the draft. While I don’t believe the Jets will draft a quarterback, the Bills might trade with the Titans to ensure they can get to Trubisky before New York. I would be surprised if they target a different quarterback, but they’ve done their due diligence on all of them.

We probably won’t see a receiver drafted before pick No. 16, but if it happens, it’ll be Clemson’s Mike Williams. The Bills (if they don’t get Trubisky), the Jets (who desperately need receiver help) and the Titans (who could draft him fifth overall) all value Williams highly.

Missouri defensive end Charles Harris has multiple top-10 grades from NFL teams, and I expect him to be drafted in the top 15. His ceiling might be sixth overall to the Jets, and his floor might be the Colts at No. 15.

15 minutes ago, C Mart said:

To Cleveland: Make it #52 and 1st pick of 4th round #108 and we have a deal..Signed Mike Maccagnan

Jets would have: #12, #39, #52, #70, #107 & #108

Love to see a compromise that makes this work. Many of the players they might take at #6 will still be there at #12. They should threaten Cleveland with taking Trubisky themselves if they play hardball. 

Mike Williams, Ross, Conley (who i like a lot more than Lattimore), Barnett, Charles Harris I would like at the 12 spot, from players who I think would be available. 

OJ Howard would be great but I dont think he makes it to 12. The only better option would be another trade down.

Just now, sourceworx said:

This would be awesome. Take Mike Williams, OJ Howard, or one of the RBs at 12, then package one of the second rounders with Sheldon to move back into the first, and take Mahomes.

Part one of your plan I'd be happy with, part two I'd barf.

Would love to see a trade like that. Even what he has Cleveland offering would be a solid deal.

If the Bills and Browns both want Trubisky then I'd be surprised if both are willing to wait until 6 to make a move. Teams earlier should be open for business.

I'd still be happy to see Trubisky come off the board before 6. Push down quality players at other positions.

Really hope the Jets done get involved in trade up talks for him.

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There are a number of people that really like that guy that is for sure.

Think Mahomes doesn't feel the pocket well enough and holds it too long to ultimately become successful in the NFL.  Still only see Trubisky as a guarantee to be a top 10 QB with Watson as a maybe.  The rest of them no chance for different reasons.   I will give Mahomes credit in some areas, definitely the best arm and even the best deep ball.  He plays with a lot of heart as well. I just don't see the ability to progress through reads and pocket awareness that you need to be top 10.

As for this Browns rumor, I don't think the Browns intend on trading with the Jets at all.. It makes no sense. They are just trying to get a feel for how much we like Trubisky.

I'm still praying that we end up with Trubisky but I'm convinced now it would involve us trading up.  And that sucks because I don't think Mac will do it.  And we watch another franchise QB come into a draft and go to another team.  The last franchise QB that hurt to see go anywhere else was Mariota.  NEver thought much of Goff and Wentz for different reasons.

39 minutes ago, slats said:

Love to see a compromise that makes this work. Many of the players they might take at #6 will still be there at #12. They should threaten Cleveland with taking Trubisky themselves if they play hardball. 

or draft him and immediately trade him to another QB hungry team.  That'll show 'em in Cleveland! :)

I guess it depends on what chart you use, but on the one I looked at (profootballtalk) the difference between 12 and 6 is 400 points, and #52 is worth 380. So even that extra 5th (#145) makes it slightly favourable to the Jets; 4th (#108) would be fairly favourable. Getting the top 2nd pick (#33) even on its own would be highly favourable to the Jets, to the tune of a mid 3rd rounder in additional value.

Still hoping the Jets could pull this off: trade the 6th, the 107th and  Richardson for the 12th and 33rd.  Richardson would be a comp 3rd.  Cleveland got the cap space to sign him long term and they get a pass rusher.  We clear the cap space and get the 1st pick in the 2nd day, possibly to trade again or to get a guy that drops out of the first.

Just now, jamesr said:

I guess it depends on what chart you use, but on the one I looked at (profootballtalk) the difference between 12 and 6 is 400 points, and #52 is worth 380. So even that extra 5th (#145) makes it slightly favourable to the Jets; 4th (#108) would be fairly favourable. Getting the top 2nd pick (#33) even on its own would be highly favourable to the Jets, to the tune of a mid 3rd rounder in additional value.

I'm pretty sure when a QB is the pick a team is trading up for, especially the first QB to be chosen in the draft the chart goes off script, and the value on the pick is much higher, the Jets are probably thinking along the lines of what the chart says for the #2 overall pick in this situation.  If I had to guess this rumor is being floated by another team in the top 5 who wants to trade back knowing the Jets really want to, and will take a little less then the rumor states.

2 minutes ago, jamesr said:

i would think the bills are more of a threat to take trubisky than the jets.  if i'm cleveland, i'm more worried that the bills will go balls out with a new owner who personally attended the pro days of the top qbs.  the jets are not trading up.  but i can easily see the bills trading up ahead of the jets, fearing their division rival will take him.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i would think the bills are more of a threat to take trubisky than the jets.  if i'm cleveland, i'm more worried that the bills will go balls out with a new owner who personally attended the pro days of the top qbs.  the jets are not trading up.  but i can easily see the bills trading up ahead of the jets, fearing their division rival will take him.

I could see a Jacksonville Buffalo swap, but then I have to think does Buffalo do business with a team coached by Marrone.

23 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I'd even do it for 52 and a 4th.  May not be full draft chart value, but I still think it would be a good move

for the Jets, the 1.12 plus 2.01 exceeds the expected return in draft value for the 1.06.  We are not getting anything more than the 2.01 if that much.  Perhaps the 1.12, 2.20 & 3.01 (which would also give the Jets more than the draft chart value)  I'd be happy with that one too

1.06 = 1600

1.12 = 1200

2.01 = 580

or

1.06 = 1600

1.12 = 1200

2.20 =  380

3.01 = 265

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Maccagnan should pull the trigger on either offer, but he should make CLE sweat to see how

much they'll give up

i think cleveland will sweat b/c there will be rumors the jets, bills and probably other teams want trubisky.  i read rumors the jags may take him.  

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I'm pretty sure when a QB is the pick a team is trading up for, especially the first QB to be chosen in the draft the chart goes off script, and the value on the pick is much higher, the Jets are probably thinking along the lines of what the chart says for the #2 overall pick in this situation.  If I had to guess this rumor is being floated by another team in the top 5 who wants to trade back knowing the Jets really want to, and will take a little less then the rumor states.

I guess it all comes down to how badly Cleveland would want Trubisky rather than say Watson. If they have the two ranked fairly close, they would be less inclined to trade up than if the gap is bigger.

You also have to factor in that if Cleveland truly believe that Trubisky is that valuable, they'd take him #1 overall.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

for the Jets, the 1.12 plus 2.01 exceeds the expected return in draft value for the 1.06.  We are not getting anything more than the 2.01 if that much.  Perhaps the 1.12, 2.20 & 3.01 (which would also give the Jets more than the draft chart value)  I'd be happy with that one too

1.06 = 1600

1.12 = 1200

2.01 = 580

or

1.06 = 1600

1.12 = 1200

2.20 =  380

3.01 = 265

Thanks.

I didn't bother to check the chart before I made the post.  In this particular draft, I don't think the actual value of the players at 12 are all that much different then they are at 6.  Unless a team has a certain QB targeted that they really want.

It's very possible that a player the Jets might want at 6, will still be there at 12.  IMO I'm good with the deal as long as the Jets get a 2nd out of it.  Of course the more you can get, the better.  Just don't want Macc to get stubborn and have the deal go south because of a few points.

JMO

the other possibility would be if Soloman Thomas drops to 6.  I can't imagine SFO not taking Thomas.... but if they go for a QB with the #2, I'd think there'd be a lot of teams willing to move up.  And this time, maybe Mac won't try to outsmart them (as in when Leo fell to #6 in his first draft.)  Anything close to draft chart value that includes a 2nd rounder or more, just slide down to the teens in round 1.  

Archived