Draft Rumors

C Mart

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone here explain why Maccagnan couldn't trade back with Leonard Williams sitting at pick 6? I'm still baffled by it.  I'd love the transcripts of the conversations with other teams before the pick.  

Just now, Dcat said:

Can anyone here explain why Maccagnan couldn't trade back with Leonard Williams sitting at pick 6? I'm still baffled by it.  I'd love the transcripts of the conversations with other teams before the pick.  

If I'm speculating ... Jets had a value on Leo as a player, and wanted a trade to exceed that by quite a bit as moving down swaps a known value (Leo) for an unknown (lets say Pick 12 plus other lower picks). Pick 12 might be worth a lot more, or a lot less, by the time you're on the board.

My guess - the bird in the hand was worth more than the two in the bush.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

If I recall, didnt they take forever to make the selection?...assuming they were taking calls.  I'd guess that the value of having the best player in the draft outweighed whatever offers they were receiving. 

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

This is fun and all that, but the only team that doesn't have to worry about missing Trubisky is Cleveland. If you think he's the QB to make you great, take him at #1. Not rocket science. 

if you have two of them close to equally rated and you have the #1 and #12, you can still get your stud at #1 and move up once one of the two QBs is off the board.  

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

This is fun and all that, but the only team that doesn't have to worry about missing Trubisky is Cleveland. If you think he's the QB to make you great, take him at #1. Not rocket science. 

if cleveland's goal is to come out of this draft with trubisky, then they should go balls out to get to 2 or 3.  with the 1 and 12th picks in round 1 and lots of picks in later rounds, it would be a fail if they couldn't get him.  

FWIW

Matt Miller‏ @nfldraftscout

A week+ from the draft, so a lot could change, but it definitely sounds like the #Browns are trying to move up from 12 for Trubisky

I've heard Tennessee (5) and Jets (6) are targets to get the Browns ahead of Buffalo for Trubisky.

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

FWIW

A week+ from the draft, so a lot could change, but it definitely sounds like the #Browns are trying to move up from 12 for Trubisky

I've heard Tennessee (5) and Jets (6) are targets to get the Browns ahead of Buffalo for Trubisky.

i wonder how desperate buffalo is to get him, or are they willing to take watson at 10.

Other than another team trading up, the risks for Cleveland not getting Trubisky at 12 would be the 49ers and the Jets. But 49ers should go for Thomas after the Browns take Garrett. So the Jets may be the only obstacle. Assuming this scenario plays out, I just hope Cleveland trades with us and not with Tennessee.  Tennessee has a ton of needs on defense and also needs a WR.  They would probably do a trade down easily. Mac would have to be willing to offer Cleveland a better deal. Not going to be easy because Tennessee is playing with house money as they already have a pair of 1st round picks. 

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

FWIW

Am I missing something here? Did Cleveland forfeit the #1 pick ? Use it to take Trubisky. This can't be this hard.

55 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

If we trade back to 12 and still nab Watson, freaking home run.

My bat instincts are telling me, however, that we've fallen in love with Mahomes and he would be the target at 12. I'm faily convinced it's him or Howard.

Could be Gareon Conley they have eyes for at 12.

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Am I missing something here? Did Cleveland forfeit the #1 pick ? Use it to take Trubisky. This can't be this hard.

Trubisky still has ??'s I don't think Garrett does.  Pretty simple you don't want to **** this up so you take Garrett #1 and then take the chance on Trubisky.  If Trubisky doesn't work out at least they still have an elite pass rusher on the other side of the ball guaranteed.

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Other than another team trading up, the risks for Cleveland not getting Trubisky at 12 would be the 49ers and the Jets. But 49ers should go for Thomas after the Browns take Garrett. So the Jets may be the only obstacle. Assuming this scenario plays out, I just hope Cleveland trades with us and not with Tennessee.  Tennessee has a ton of needs on defense and also needs a WR.  They would probably do a trade down easily. Mac would have to be willing to offer Cleveland a better deal. Not going to be easy because Tennessee is playing with house money as they already have a pair of 1st round picks. 

The 5th pick is worth more than the 6th pick using the chart so Cleveland would need to give up more to trade with Tenn and Tenn not going to draft a QB...that is if you believe the trade chart values.

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Not if you value Garrett higher.  With a very good chance you get both, why not see what you can swing?  Coming away with both would be the coup de grâce of the draft.

16 minutes ago, C Mart said:

FWIW

Doesn't make a ton of sense for Tennessee to trade down. They already have two first rounders and two 3rd rounders. THey need high end talent. They aren't in a position where they have to accumulate picks because their roster is already pretty good as it is.

I don't think Cleveland will trade with us because they can't be sure that we won't take Trubisky.  They have to get ahead of us for sure and the best partners are probably Frisco and Chicago.  I could see both of them trading down without a doubt.

Personally praying that we get Trubisky... Most drafts don't even have a QB that will be a top 10 QB and I fully beileve that Trubisky will be top 10.  It's gonna kill me to watch him go somewhere else.  Because I don't think we can get him at 6, I'm hoping like hell we trade up. These guys only come around every so often.  People talk of Darnold next year but I can show you 2 throws/decisions just off memory that Trubisky would never make.

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

I'd go for 12 and their first next year. Loaded qb draft next year and both teams will probably have bad season= 2 high picks in a loaded qb draft

So the 12th pick in the 2017 and the 1st pick in the 2018 draft? :D 

2 minutes ago, Komba said:

Doesn't make a ton of sense for Tennessee to trade down. They already have two first rounders and two 3rd rounders. THey need high end talent. They aren't in a position where they have to accumulate picks because their roster is already pretty good as it is.

I don't think Cleveland will trade with us because they can't be sure that we won't take Trubisky.  They have to get ahead of us for sure and the best partners are probably Frisco and Chicago.  I could see both of them trading down without a doubt.

Personally praying that we get Trubisky... Most drafts don't even have a QB that will be a top 10 QB and I fully beileve that Trubisky will be top 10.  It's gonna kill me to watch him go somewhere else.

The rumor is the trade would occur when the Jets are on the clock

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i wonder how desperate buffalo is to get him, or are they willing to take watson at 10.

With Taylor getting essentially a 2 year deal, I could see them going QB early in the draft.  But I think it more likely they wait a year or pick a round 2 or 3 QB like Peterman.  Tyrod will probably play in 2018.  Its an $18 million cap hit if he's on the team in 2018 or a $9 million cap hit in dead money if they let him go.  

Come to think of it, If I were Cleveland, I'd be concerned about Buffalo. If they draft Trubisky and feel like hes ready to start in 2018, they could save $9 million in cap money.  

2 minutes ago, Komba said:

Personally praying that we get Trubisky... Most drafts don't even have a QB that will be a top 10 QB and I fully beileve that Trubisky will be top 10.  It's gonna kill me to watch him go somewhere else.  Because I don't think we can get him at 6, I'm hoping like hell we trade up. These guys only come around every so often.  People talk of Darnold next year but I can show you 2 throws/decisions just off memory that Trubisky would never make.

if you're cleveland you can't assume the jets won't take him or another qb for that matter.  these are just rumors, though.  i expect the browns to trade up to 2 or 3 and overpay for him.  i still think the jets could trade back a few spots with another team. 

3 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I'd go for 12 and their first next year. Loaded qb draft next year and both teams will probably have bad season= 2 high picks in a loaded qb draft

Ugh... Frustrates me when people just point to the next draft like it's a sure thing.  There were people saying that teams should just suck for Deshaun last year.  But especially the year that a player will come out, evaluators become more honest/cynical and the negatives start to jump out at you.

Then next year people will be talking about the year after... And the same thing every stupid year.

You MUST HAVE a QB to win in this league.  It's only so often that a good QB comes out.  Trubisky is going to be a good QB (Regardless of what idiots like Kiper say) and it's going to be painful to watch him be a top 10 QB with some other team while we continue to suck like every other team who doesn't have a QB.

Just now, Komba said:

Ugh... Frustrates me when people just point to the next draft like it's a sure thing.  There were people saying that teams should just suck for Deshaun last year.  But especially the year that a player will come out, evaluators become more honest/cynical and the negatives start to jump out at you.

Then next year people will be talking about the year after... And the same thing every stupid year.

You MUST HAVE a QB to win in this league.  It's only so often that a good QB comes out.  Trubisky is going to be a good QB (Regardless of what idiots like Kiper say) and it's going to be painful to watch him be a top 10 QB with some other team while we continue to suck like every other team who doesn't have a QB.

I'm not saying they're "sure things" but the talent pool of qbs in the next draft is much more impressive than it is this year. 

Just now, SR24 said:

I'm not saying they're "sure things" but the talent pool of qbs in the next draft is much more impressive than it is this year. 

i wonder how much if at all this plays into mccags' thinking, given that he needs a productive draft to help justify remaining the gm.  mccags could roll with hack/mccown this year and they may suck, but if he nails a few top picks he would probably have a better chance of landing a better qb next draft, with a better roster.

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

The rumor is the trade would occur when the Jets are on the clock

Absolutely, because that's the only way Cleveland would make the deal to make sure they get the guy they want.  They surely aren't going to trade ahead of then.

That said, Cleveland will never be able to trust us with that because we don't have a QB.  We may very well just take him.

Personally, the moment the Garrett pick is announced number 1, I would be trying like hell to trade up to the 2nd pick to get Trubisky. I'm convinced he's going to be top 10.  I've watched every single game multiple times and his game just translates extremely well to the NFL.  He has very few, if any flaws.

1 minute ago, mphtrilogy said:

Tenn is gonna snipe us again...  make this deal worth the while of CLE and not make the deal with TENN

I don't think Tenn trades down.  They have 2 first rounders and 2 third rounders.  The roster is pretty good so they'd be at a point where they are just throwing away picks. Their roster is at a point where they need the highest level talent they can get.

8 minutes ago, Komba said:

In comparing the two QB classes, looks like next years is better at the top end by wide margin.  Whatever they are, this years is pretty freaking awful and next year's sure looks a lot better at this point. 

16 minutes ago, SR24 said:

That would be great, but I doubt the Browns are that stupid. They are likely to finish with one of the worst records again next year. 

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

In comparing the two QB classes, looks like next years is better at the top end by wide margin.  Whatever they are, this years is pretty freaking awful and next year's sure looks a lot better at this point. 

The dumb media played up this year's class as being awful. And the same dumb media played up this year's RB class as being good when that's not the case either.

And you can't look at an entire class either.  You don't get to pick every one of them, you get to pick 1. Again, just off of memory I can point to two awful throws/decisions that Darnold made that Trubisky absolutely never made.  Darnold also doesn't see the field as seemlessly as Trubisky and move through reads like he does.

I can't scream about it any more. The last guy I thought highly about was Mariota and he is a star.  Last year I didn't like the top two guys and still don't like the top two guys even though the media tried like crazy to heap WAY too much praise on Wentz.  I don't think Goff and Wentz are trash, I just don't see super bowl winners for different reasons.

Having a chance at Trubisky and not doing everything possible to get him is rough... Cleveland (probably because of Hue) is going to do it right and trade up from 12.  And they will trade up ahead of us because they know we are also smart enough to take him.  

29 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

The 5th pick is worth more than the 6th pick using the chart so Cleveland would need to give up more to trade with Tenn and Tenn not going to draft a QB...that is if you believe the trade chart values.

a couple of guys evaluated several years of draft trades (a couple of years ago, I think).  It was shocking how close the regression line came to the draft values chart.  Amazingly close.  There are always some outliers...  particularly when future year 1st rounders get thrown around for big time round 1 trade ups, but other than those, yes... I believe in it because it seems the teams use something equivalent to it if not the Jimmy Johnson thing itself.  

1 minute ago, Komba said:

The dumb media played up this year's class as being awful. And the same dumb media played up this year's RB class as being good when that's not the case either.

And you can't look at an entire class either.  You don't get to pick every one of them, you get to pick 1. Again, just off of memory I can point to two awful throws/decisions that Darnold made that Trubisky absolutely never made.  Darnold also doesn't see the field as seemlessly as Trubisky and move through reads like he does.

I can't scream about it any more. The last guy I thought highly about was Mariota and he is a star.  Last year I didn't like the top two guys and still don't like the top two guys even though the media tried like crazy to heap WAY too much praise on Wentz.  I don't think Goff and Wentz are trash, I just don't see super bowl winners for different reasons.

Having a chance at Trubisky and not doing everything possible to get him is rough... Cleveland (probably because of Hue) is going to do it right and trade up from 12.  And they will trade up ahead of us because they know we are also smart enough to take him.  

Good.  We can get one of next years studs, who are better than this years for sure and start to rebuild a solid foundation for him with this years' draft.  You have way more confidence in Trubisky than I do.  I have no idea why with his body of work.

Just now, Dcat said:

Good.  We can get one of next years studs, who are better than this years for sure and start to rebuild a solid foundation for him with this years' draft.  You have way more confidence in Trubisky than I do.  I have no idea why with his body of work.

When he got a chance to start, he was nothing short of great.

Makes me laugh how many people point to the experience just because they think that is the reason that Sanchez failed.  Sanchez failed because he panics, he can't throw a deep ball, and doesn't have good enough pocket awareness.

Just making predictions here... Every year I stare at games like a mental patient because it's my dumb hobby.  I think Trubisky is going to be a top 10 QB in the NFL and when you have ANY chance at getting one of those guys, do whatever it takes to get him.

Archived