Draft Rumors

C Mart

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

The whole point in jets talking to Cleveland about a trade for the 6th pick prior to draft is to frame a trade that would ensure jets don't pick the qb but rather give the pick to Cleveland so not sure why they need to jump ahead of jets instead of just making the deal.....so not sure what u are talking about.   Now if they think tenn will trade out with some other team to ruin deal that has no bearing on thinking jets will take the QB.

Why would Cleveland try to make a conditional deal that relies on "trust"?  Makes no sense.  No I get where you see the possibility of deception.  I just don't agree that it works that way.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

exactly.  Same is true for other teams.  They will wait until Tenn is OTC and then wait until Jets are OTC.  Thats the whole point.  Its not a matter of any teams trying to deceive another like the poster implied.  

I didn't imply it...you did....but never mind.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

In your previous post you said the idea was to 'get ahead of the jets' his response was reasonable in he said if the jets have offered to trade the pick then cleve does not have to worry about the jets.

that is where he is wrong.  Mac can offer the trade ahead of time without it being a commitment not to draft Trubisky.  You either make the trade or you dont.  If they say no, then Mac tells them OK, we'll be open to talking again when we get OTC.  Nowhere does that say "we are not picking Trubisky here"  It's saying "give us enough compensation to make it worth our while not to keep pick #6 and use it for Trubisky".  When the Jets are OTC, Mac tells cleveland, what he wants for the pick i.e. #12 and 2.01.  If they say no, then counter offer, #12, 2.20, 3.01. And deal with other teams in the 15 minutes they get as well.

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

that is where he is wrong.  Mac can offer the trade ahead of time without it being a commitment not to draft Trubisky.  You either make the trade or you dont.  If they say no, then Mac tells them OK, we'll be open to talking again when we get OTC.  Nowhere does that say "we are not picking Trubisky here"  It's saying "give us enough compensation to make it worth our while not to keep pick #6 and use it for Trubisky".  When the Jets are OTC, Mac tells cleveland, what he wants for the pick i.e. #12 and 2.01.  If they say no, then counter offer, #12, 2.20, 3.01. And deal with other teams in the 15 minutes they get as well.

If the jets want really want trubisky t2hey would be fools not to just take him this is a QB we are talking about, if cleve us dealing with us it is not because they think we are taking their qb it is because they are afraid someone else is talking to the jets or someone just behind them.  If the jets are having serious talks about this then cleve would call their bluff.

In any case I just hope we can indeed trade down there really is no one player I have to have at 6.  should be interesting.  i just hope no other team gives them a cheap deal to trade up.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

But if I'm Cleveland and the rumors are true that I want Trubisky, why let it even get to that point? I'd be looking to move up to #4 or #5 to get ahead of the Jets... not wait until the Jets are on the clock. 

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If the jets want really want trubisky t2hey would be fools not to just take him this is a QB we are talking about, if cleve us dealing with us it is not because they think we are taking their qb it is because they are afraid someone else is talking to the jets or someone just behind them.  If the jets are having serious talks about this then cleve would call their bluff.

In any case I just hope we can indeed trade down there really is no one player I have to have at 6.  should be interesting.  i just hope no other team gives them a cheap deal to trade up.

the whole discussion is moot if Mac actually wants Trubusky.   Then you pick him at 6.  Simple.  I'm yapping under the presumption that the jets are not drafting a QB in this draft.  At least not in the first 2 rounds or even the 3rd.  

The other interesting scenario here would be if the Browns' guy is Webb or something and they just want to pull in another top tier defensive player from this class to pair with Garrett. Very possible Thomas, Adams, or Allen is there at 6 or if not they may want to secure Hooker or their top corner. Then it's important for them to hang onto 33 so they can secure Webb. Fournette or Howard too in a different scenario where they want to build for the QB.

As much as it seems like teams don't love the talent at the top there seems to be a drop off in this draft around 10. I think the Browns moving up makes sense but a move up to 6 for Trubisky doesn't. Letting this float but misdirection on the target would though - especially if you can entice Buffalo or something to move up ahead of 6 and push down one of the position players.

4 hours ago, jamesr said:

I guess it depends on what chart you use, but on the one I looked at (profootballtalk) the difference between 12 and 6 is 400 points, and #52 is worth 380. So even that extra 5th (#145) makes it slightly favourable to the Jets; 4th (#108) would be fairly favourable. Getting the top 2nd pick (#33) even on its own would be highly favourable to the Jets, to the tune of a mid 3rd rounder in additional value.

i'm not quite sure what the jets want with the 33rd pick.  as i see it the only difference between it and a bottom 5 first rounder is that a second rounder rookie contract is 4 years vice 5.  imo if there was a player in the draft i really wanted i'd try to lock him up as long as possible.

7 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

But if I'm Cleveland and the rumors are true that I want Trubisky, why let it even get to that point? I'd be looking to move up to #4 or #5 to get ahead of the Jets... not wait until the Jets are on the clock. 

Partly because it will cost them another mid round pick more to move to 4 or 5.  Also, Cleveland is probably talking with Jacksonville and Tennessee, we just have not heard about it.  Leading up to the drafts, teams are calling each other to see other teams asking prices so that when they are on the clock they can have an idea of the cost if a player is on the board.  Also it gives them an idea of how much it will cost other teams to move to that spot.  For example, Cleveland may have called Tennessee and asked what the cost to 5 would be and they said the 13th and 33rd.  So for Arizona to move to 5 to get in front of the Jets, it may cost the 13th, 45th and 77th which is a steep price to pay.  So either Arizona would need to throw in future picks or they really like one of the QBs.  It gives teams more information, not just to get the trade done but also discover if its possible other teams could make the trade.  Also, if the cost is a lot higher than expected when they contact a team, either the team really likes where they are at, playing hardball or already have received calls where other interested teams have higher or more picks.  Every year information slips out during the draft that a team picking has multiple trade offers lined up and basically trying to see if they can squeeze out an extra 6th or 7th to swing the trade in their favor.

Every team has or will contact the other teams to see how much it would cost to move around just in case a player drops.  Just as an example, if Cleveland for some reason does not take Garrett number 1, what is the cost to get to the number 2 spot and are teams willing to pay that cost? 

Mac did say he wanted to trade down all those months ago

in terms of rumors, it makes total sense especially if they like Watson or Mahomes more than Trubisky. 

I'm a Mahomes guy for what it's worth but will be happy with any 1st rd pick at the position. They all are better than Hack. 

46 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I wanted that the 12/33 pick for a long time because it makes a ton of sense for us and the Browns.  I'm not sure the Titans want to trade down, because they are a team on the upswing that needs a couple more players on defense to really have a shot at the playoffs.  Since Mariota is still relatively cheap, it'd be better for them to go for it in the next two years with as many studs as possible.  

This is something I wondered about before, but does pick 33 have more value now than in the past with the new draft format?

With only the first round being done on one day, it gives teams a whole night to evaluate their options based on their board.  So if someone ranked say 20th on your board falls, you have the whole night to think about trading up for him, rather than 15 mins  (or one hour- I don't remember the break time in the past).  Would that increase the value of pick 33 than in the past?  I know pick 32 is much more valuable because of the option year, but does that extra time get teams to pay up more if they want to move out.  

Perfect example would be when Jack dropped last year, as well as Smith, which not many people predicted.  If you were picking say 10th in the second round, how much would you have paid to get Jack, or Smith, if they were ranked highly on your board but it was too risky with the 10th pick in the first?  So does the extra time increase value?

They were talking about that on the radio today, how it is a nice spot to have.  They finish a round, teams regroup, and someone says, "Crap, we have X grade on this guy, we have to get him!"

Prime example, Shonne Greene, first pick of 3rd round in a Tanny trade up.

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i'm not quite sure what the jets want with the 33rd pick.  as i see it the only difference between it and a bottom 5 first rounder is that a second rounder rookie contract is 4 years vice 5.  imo if there was a player in the draft i really wanted i'd try to lock him up as long as possible.

The early 2nd round picks are valuable trade picks.  Teams that may have a really high grade on a player that slipped out of the first round may want to trade up to snag that player.  essentially pay the cost to move up in the 2nd round to snag a 1st round graded player.  It also gives them a night to think about it and re-evaluate the 1st day events rather than the 15 minutes each team is on the clock.

35 minutes ago, chirorob said:

They were talking about that on the radio today, how it is a nice spot to have.  They finish a round, teams regroup, and someone says, "Crap, we have X grade on this guy, we have to get him!"

Prime example, Shonne Greene, first pick of 3rd round in a Tanny trade up.

It's interesting, with the new format. 

Considering our pick in the second, it actually seems like a good place to trade down or for next year's draft in that spot.  I really hope we do trade down from 6 to 12, because I don't think the drop off is that drastic unless you fall in love with a very specific player. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Mac did say he wanted to trade down all those months ago

in terms of rumors, it makes total sense especially if they like Watson or Mahomes more than Trubisky. 

I'm a Mahomes guy for what it's worth but will be happy with any 1st rd pick at the position. They all are better than Hack. 

Welcome to the dark side Bit :)

8 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Welcome to the dark side Bit :)

Yeah welcome to the dark side but Lupz, please stop giving negative rep to folks who goes against Mahomes. :) I like Mahomes and I want Jets to pick him even at 6 but I understand folks who wants another QB or skip QB's all together. Peace my friend peace :)

28 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Yeah welcome to the dark side but Lupz, please stop giving negative rep to folks who goes against Mahomes. :) I like Mahomes and I want Jets to pick him even at 6 but I understand folks who wants another QB or skip QB's all together. Peace my friend peace :)

I only give neg rep for posting wrong information like saying Mahomes never made reads, or made an NFL throw BS, and also for suggesting Trubisky who hasn't played under center since 6th grade is pro ready, and a future top 10 QB in the NFL guaranteed, and for suggesting the Jets should draft any QB at 6, that is neg rep worthy in this years QB class.

As much as I love Mahomes I wouldn't draft him at 6, 12 I'd consider it IF all my other options at a needed position is gone, but if Trubisky, and Watson go in the first 11 picks, and the Jets are sitting at 12 someone high on their board at a need position other then QB will be staring them in the face, and I'd have to pass on Mahomes again, and then maybe I'd consider trading back into the 1st for him if he hangs around in the low 20's.

20 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Welp. Guess we're taking Adams if he's there. 

0% chance he's there. Adams will be a Top 5 safety in this league by the time his 2nd season is over. The guy is gonna be GREAT. 

As we inch closer to Thursday, I have this weird feeling that we're going to take Mitch. My preference is to simply trade back ala Titans. I am so jealous of the way they have operated their organization recently. 

36 minutes ago, Ghost said:

0% chance he's there. Adams will be a Top 5 safety in this league by the time his 2nd season is over. The guy is gonna be GREAT. 

As we inch closer to Thursday, I have this weird feeling that we're going to take Mitch. My preference is to simply trade back ala Titans. I am so jealous of the way they have operated their organization recently. 

That's what they said about Leo and look what happened. Adams can fall. Who knows what happens. And if he does, he's a no brained IMO. He's a natural leader this team desperately needs. And can probably help change the locker room. 

I think its Adams and if it's anyone else, they'll do whatever they can to trade back. 

26 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

That's what they said about Leo and look what happened. Adams can fall. Who knows what happens. And if he does, he's a no brained IMO. He's a natural leader this team desperately needs. And can probably help change the locker room. 

I think its Adams and if it's anyone else, they'll do whatever they can to trade back. 

I wanted Adams but the more I see of his tape, measurables, closing speed, character, FORGET IT! He is GONE in the 1st 5 picks, in fact don't be surprised to see a team move up a bit to get him. Look at KCs defense transformed with Berry back, look at the dip the Seattle defense took when Thomas got hurt, and if Devin McCourty gets injured in New England you'll see a huge drop off in their secondary. A great safety makes a HUGE difference in todays throw the ball NFL.

This really does make sense from Cleveland's standpoint.  They have a CRAP ton of picks over the next two years. They are going to have the best defensive player to be drafted in the past few years at 1.  Why not take a chance on Trubinsky?  They already have a starter in Osweiler.  If Trubinsky can't start right away, Brock can carry them for a year.  If he CAN beat out Osweiler, all the better.

I hope this happens for the Browns, but better yet, I like what it could do for the Jets!

10 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

The parameters being discussed (1.12, 2.01, and a 4th) only make sense if we're talking about including Sheldon with our first.  Otherwise, Cleveland's giving up way too much value to move to 6.  So I'd keep an eye out for that

Whn you're talking about trading up for a QB, the value Chart goes out the window .  It might also be why Cleveland is holding out hoping the Jets take 52 instead of 33 . Personally, I would take 52 just to make the deal .

10 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

The parameters being discussed (1.12, 2.01, and a 4th) only make sense if we're talking about including Sheldon with our first.  Otherwise, Cleveland's giving up way too much value to move to 6.  So I'd keep an eye out for that

If Trubisky is on the board at #6 and Cleveland is itching for him:

1st offer from Mac: 1.12, 2.01, 3.01 (rejected)

subsequent offers:

1.12, 2.01, 4.01

1.12, 2.20 & 3.01

1/12, 2.20, 4.01

If they want Trubisky that bad, then one of these will work for them and us.

No Sheldon

On 4/19/2017 at 1:02 PM, sourceworx said:

This would be awesome. Take Mike Williams, OJ Howard, or one of the RBs at 12, then package one of the second rounders with Sheldon to move back into the first, and take Mahomes.

I'm on the Mahomes bandwagon as well (somewhat from reading about him and watching him but, honestly, probably a good deal from hype) .  I'd be very happy if we ended up w/ OJ Howard and Mahomes.

At 12, we'd likely see the following names gone:  Garrett, Trubisky, Thomas, Adams, Hooker, Allen, Lattimore, Fournette.  I think the next three guys I like are Howard, Conley, Williams.  If all three of them went also (unlikely but play it out), who do we like at 12?  Watson and Mahomes I'm iffy on for different reasons but better to take one at 12 with the extra picks than at 6.  Corey Davis, maybe even Ramcyzk.  I really, really like the idea of pick 33 because it comes with so much trade-down potential as well.   

Question is who could drop to 6 that would be worth taking over making some variant of this trade?  Would you take Adams or Fournette at 6 rather than any of those other guys plus the 33 pick?  Only if you think they are a likely All-pro player for years at their position.  Tough call but I think the trade-down if 33 is included is a no-brainer.

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

At 12, we'd likely see the following names gone:  Garrett, Trubisky, Thomas, Adams, Hooker, Allen, Lattimore, Fournette.  I think the next three guys I like are Howard, Conley, Williams.  If all three of them went also (unlikely but play it out), who do we like at 12?  Watson and Mahomes I'm iffy on for different reasons but better to take one at 12 with the extra picks than at 6.  Corey Davis, maybe even Ramcyzk.  I really, really like the idea of pick 33 because it comes with so much trade-down potential as well.   

Question is who could drop to 6 that would be worth taking over making some variant of this trade?  Would you take Adams or Fournette at 6 rather than any of those other guys plus the 33 pick?  Only if you think they are a likely All-pro player for years at their position.  Tough call but I think the trade-down if 33 is included is a no-brainer.

If we are sitting there at 12, Macc's phone might ring from Texans to come up to get Mahomes. Could probably get us another 3rd rd pick, as well as #25 in the 1st. If both these scenarios happen, you would have traded down 19 spots and gotten back first pick in rds 2&4, and another 3rd. We would have a first, 2 seconds and basically 4 3rds.  If we picked at 12, maybe McCaffery or Charles Harris?

On 4/22/2017 at 7:43 AM, MDL_JET said:

Welp. Guess we're taking Adams if he's there. 

S Jamal Adams, LSU: The Jets love Adams. They're hoping he takes a Leonard Williams-like fall to them at six, but that appears unlikely unless two quarterbacks get picked in the top five.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68311/trying-to-predict-how-mike-maccagnan-has-stacked-the-jets-draft-board

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

If we are sitting there at 12, Macc's phone might ring from Texans to come up to get Mahomes. Could probably get us another 3rd rd pick, as well as #25 in the 1st. If both these scenarios happen, you would have traded down 19 spots and gotten back first pick in rds 2&4, and another 3rd. We would have a first, 2 seconds and basically 4 3rds.  If we picked at 12, maybe McCaffery or Charles Harris?

I'm having trouble getting excited about either of those players.

When we traded down from 1 to 6 back under Parcells, we gave up Orlando Pace and could have gotten Walter Jones.  But then we traded down again and that was a bridge too far.  I think I'd rather pick at 12 maybe at that point.

On 4/22/2017 at 9:15 AM, Jetster said:

I wanted Adams but the more I see of his tape, measurables, closing speed, character, FORGET IT! He is GONE in the 1st 5 picks, in fact don't be surprised to see a team move up a bit to get him. Look at KCs defense transformed with Berry back, look at the dip the Seattle defense took when Thomas got hurt, and if Devin McCourty gets injured in New England you'll see a huge drop off in their secondary. A great safety makes a HUGE difference in todays throw the ball NFL.

How can Lynch a Safety NOT take Adams at 2?!?!

Archived