Safety or CB

Tinstar

11 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

What position of these 2 do you think will best help the Jets secondary and by extension the entire defense  from this draft ?

Well 1st it would depend on the quality of the player but I would say safety.

Since we have claiborne, skrine, burris,  Roberts, williams, a rookie CB would probably not see the field too much in 2017.  If claiborne and burris work out it may be overkill too but those are very big ifs

An even mediocre safety could probably step in day 1 and make whole defense better.

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Well 1st it would depend on the quality of the player but I would say safety.

Since we have claiborne, skrine, burris,  Roberts, williams, a rookie CB would probably not see the field too much in 2017.  If claiborne and burris work out it may be overkill too but those are very big ifs

An even mediocre safety could probably step in day 1 and make whole defense better.

I agree, but my reason have absolutely nothing to do with who's on the roster at CB presently . 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

IMO, CB is way more important than safety.  Waaaaaaaay more, unless the safety is among the absolute best.  IMO our CB play was worse than our safety play last year.  In all honesty, I think we are thinner at LB than at S or CB.

Have you watched any of the games with coaches tape? If not I suggest you give it a shot.

Safety. 

And Safety should not be undervalued. All over the NFL these days you have Safeties making BIG impacts on a team defense. Berry, E.Thomas, Chancellor, McCourty, etc., etc. These guys have a massive impact. With the draft being VERY deep at CB and having two clear cut top rated safeties, Adams and Hooker, you have to think if you can get get one of those guys it will make a bigger impact for the Jets D than taking a CB. And the Jets already have some nice CB talent in Claiborne (despite being injury prone), as well a Roberts and Burris (despite being unproven). Skrine is garbage.      

7 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Safety. 

And Safety should not be undervalued. All over the NFL these days you have Safeties making BIG impacts on a team defense. Berry, E.Thomas, Chancellor, McCourty, etc., etc. These guys have a massive impact. With the draft being VERY deep at CB and having two clear cut top rated safeties, Adams and Hooker, you have to think if you can get get one of those guys it will make a bigger impact for the Jets D than taking a CB. And the Jets already have some nice CB talent in Claiborne (despite being injury prone), as well a Roberts and Burris (despite being unproven). Skrine is garbage.      

Those 2 top safeties you talk about would not bring the same thing to the Jets secondary . What the Jets need in their defensive backfield IMO, only 1 of those 2 bring .

In today's game, the safety is becoming a lot more important due to the versatility of these players.  Guys that can cover a tight end, play center field, drop down into the box for run support and even blitz the QB are popping up everywhere.  It used to be where safeties were either free safety types or strong safety types.  Now they can be moved all over the formation to nullify defensive mismatches or even create mismatches in favor of the defense.  QBs are now having to track where these guys line up on the field.  They can blitz from center field or drop from the box into coverage.  They can cover a tight end or running back or be used as a spy on the QB.  As for CBs, you may get a guy that can shut down a WR, though that is rare.  But with the way that offenses are built today, defenses will still have a two other wide receivers, a tight-end and a pass catching running back to defend against.  A good safety can take away sections of the field, while a good CB can take away 1 player.  With more and more spread concepts entering into the NFL, an increase of minimizing the gaps created by the offense by having a versatile safety is growing in importance.  

Just look at the draft his year.  You got Fournette, Cook and McCaffrey as early round RBs.  You need a player that can play run support against any of these guys as well as possibly cover them out the back field.  You got Howard, Njoku, Engram, etc running routes out of the slot.  You need some one to cover them.  You got Williams, Davis and Ross running routes all over the field, and you need to make sure you have someone that can prevent the deep throws and big plays.  With a versatile safety you have a player that you can use to deal with these play makers week by week. 

Safety is more important, but I hope we draft a CB in the 2nd or 3rd round, simply because there are so many good ones in this draft.

Good/great safeties impact the entire defensive backfield and a guy like Adams can play the run, tackle in the open field, blitz and cover.

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

IMO, CB is way more important than safety.  Waaaaaaaay more, unless the safety is among the absolute best.  IMO our CB play was worse than our safety play last year.  In all honesty, I think we are thinner at LB than at S or CB.

Yep. It can even be as simple as following the money - CBs get paid more. They cover the outside receivers directly, good ones do everything a safety does plus. Hell, safety is often the fallback for guys who can't cut it at corner - Dwight Lowery comes to mind - or older CBS that have lost a step.

5 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Have you watched any of the games with coaches tape? If not I suggest you give it a shot.

Showed him! 

I do want one of those freak athlete jumbo 6'3"-6'4"+ 220+ safeties THO, but CB should easily take priority between the two. 

Id be looking at the best talent available rather than letting the position dictate the choice.  We really need a free safety sooner than later though since Gilchrist deserves to be cut.I'd rather the team swallow his $1,250,000 dead cap than pay him anything close to the $6 million salary he's supposed to get in 2017.  I hope he gets healthy soon so we can send him packing.  

I'm willing to suffer thru Pryor at SS for another season, probably his last as a Jet.  I seriously doubt that the Jets exercise his 5th year option for 2018 before the May 3rd deadline. I think his salary would be around $6+ million if they exercise the option.  No way in hell.  

At CB, You can't trust Cairborne to stay healthy, we know what Skrine brings to the table and we have yet to find out if Burris can emerge. Marcus Williams is there for depth.  so whichever the better talent is on the board for secondary Safety or Corner, that's where I look.  We have big need for both.   If I were faced with a question of Adams or Hooker vs CB in round 1, I'd go safety.  That's because I can get a really good corner a little later.  But I'm not big on 1st round safeties to begin with.   

57 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Yep. It can even be as simple as following the money - CBs get paid more. They cover the outside receivers directly, good ones do everything a safety does plus. Hell, safety is often the fallback for guys who can't cut it at corner - Dwight Lowery comes to mind - or older CBS that have lost a step.

Showed him! 

I do want one of those freak athlete jumbo 6'3"-6'4"+ 220+ safeties THO, but CB should easily take priority between the two. 

Showed him? Wtf are you blabbering on about?

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

CB x100

Lots of safety depth in the draft, and yearly in FA... 

We need to shoot for a top dog in rounds 1-3 this year

I'd love to see them get a CB in the first 3 rounds, but NOT at pick #6.

Humphrey with a trade well down to the 20's in round 1. 

Wilson, King or Conley with pick 2.07 (I doubt Conley will be there but I like Wilson most of these)

Adoree Jackson, Tredavius White or yes, even Sidney Jones at 3.06.   Love Jackson. Jackson and White can really add Special teams too as return guys.

and if none of those work for us at those picks, then Tankersley, Witherspoon, Kazee, if anyof them are there at the bottom of round 3 with our comp pick. 

Free safety. They have longer years in their prime. A good fs could be a top player at his position for a decade. Whereas Corners could start really slipping by year 5. With today's rules, its just too hard to stay an elite corner for a long time.

Also, we all saw what can happen with poor fs play, even if you have grear corners. The corners can only do so much and cover so much area of field.

FS can helps average corners a lot more than a corner can help a fs.

All the best defenses have a great Safety. It's the thing that puts defenses over the top. We have to end up with either of Adams, Hooker or Baker in this draft. I think Adams is future all-time player so I'd prefer him but it all depends on how the draft falls.

9 hours ago, Dcat said:

Wilson, King or Conley with pick 2.07 (I doubt Conley will be there but I like Wilson most of these)

Adoree Jackson, Tredavius White or yes, even Sidney Jones at 3.06.   Love Jackson. Jackson and White can really add Special teams too as return guys.

and if none of those work for us at those picks, then Tankersley, Witherspoon, Kazee, if anyof them are there at the bottom of round 3 with our comp pick. 

IMO King is going to be gone.  I like King a bunch. He ticks all the boxes.

16 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Why, and I agree .

A ballhawking free safety changes the game, period. I would argue all day long that ED REED was more important to the great Ravens D than Ray Lewis was. In today's game, where teams throw 35-40 times, give me a guy back there that changes possession for me, and makes a QB think twice about many of those throws. A great FS makes the entire defense better. No corner can do that.

10 hours ago, Dcat said:

I heard Jackson is more of a zone CB and would not excel in our system.

S.Jones was my #1 CB before the injury. If Jets medical staff have faith that he can make a full recovery with a season off, he is well worth an early third round pick.

I think Humphrey will be better than what people are giving him credit for. I could also see him moving to safety. Having said that, I would not take him at 6 and I have a feeling he will go before 20...

I like Wilson, King and Conley in the 2nd round. White in the 3rd too- but he may be off the board late in the 2nd. I think you can throw in Tankersley in there as well- he will go somewhere in the 2nd most likely.   

Just my 2 cents.

42 minutes ago, section314 said:

A ballhawking free safety changes the game, period. I would argue all day long that ED REED was more important to the great Ravens D than Ray Lewis was. In today's game, where teams throw 35-40 times, give me a guy back there that changes possession for me, and makes a QB think twice about many of those throws. A great FS makes the entire defense better. No corner can do that.

I agree with you RE: the importance of a Safety in today's NFL. But I think you are also exaggerating a bit. 

Revis in his prime shut down half the field. QBs did not even look to throw in his general direction. If thats not impacting the whole defense, I don't know what is. 

You can argue all you want, but it's going to be a tough sell to minimize Ray Lewis' impact on that Ravens defense. I get that Ed Redd did a lot of things that changed the way QBs attacked the Ravens D. But so did Ray Lewis. In his prime he could do it ALL. Cover, blitz, stuff the run. I mean, the guy was a beast. And simply the intimidation factor. He was a true intimidator in his day.  

And as good as Ed Reed was, its hard to discount the other great players around him and the impact they made to make him better. That was one of the best defenses EVER. McCallister was a shut down CB, the D-line was dominant, Ray Lewis in the middle...they all made each other better. 

11 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Showed him! 

That and where they're drafted.  CB's are prioritized much higher than Safeties. 

38 minutes ago, JiF said:

There are people actually trying to claim a S is more important than a CB?  What?

It's CB, all day every day.  This isnt a debate.  

That was not the question from OP the way I read it.  The OP asked "for the Jets" and "from this draft" which implies you take into consideration current roster and if that isa case Safety is more important right now given roster.

anywho if it is a straight comparison of position they are BOTH important and you need good play at both to have a good team.   If you look at franchise tag amounts then yes CB are more exp and valued more and you have more of them.

21 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

That was not the question from OP the way I read it.  The OP asked "for the Jets" and "from this draft" which implies you take into consideration current roster and if that isa case Safety is more important right now given roster.

anywho if it is a straight comparison of position they are BOTH important and you need good play at both to have a good team.   If you look at franchise tag amounts then yes CB are more exp and valued more and you have more of them.

You are so right it's unreal . The conversation about who to take if the Jets stay at 6 for some is always best player available  What my question was trying to find out is if Jet fans understand what best player available means to this this team as opposed to other teams .  It makes absolutely no sense to take a 43 de who can't play OLB because he's the best player available on the board . Best player available has to fit into the current roster or how exactly is it the best player available .

Leonard Williams was the BPA and he plays a position that fits the Jets defensive scheme . Darren Lee was BPA and he plays a position that fits into the Jets defense . Who from this draft plays a position that would fit into the defensive scheme at CB or safety and bring the greatest value to the Jets defense since so many think that these two positions will probably have the BPA should the Jets pick in the 6th spot .

The front 7 has a veteran and young leader in David Harris and Darren Lee . Most of the past year, that leadership fell to Lee but injuries and inconsistencies affected the progression . The secondary had no leadership, because that comes from the safeties, and none of the Jet safeties are leaders . It can't come from the CBs because they focus is always on the receiver and the QB .

14 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

You are so right it's unreal . The conversation about who to take if the Jets stay at 6 for some is always best player available  What my question was trying to find out is if Jet fans understand what best player available means to this this team as opposed to other teams .  It makes absolutely no sense to take a 43 de who can't play OLB because he's the best player available on the board . Best player available has to fit into the current roster or how exactly is it the best player available .

Leonard Williams was the BPA and he plays a position that fits the Jets defensive scheme . Darren Lee was BPA and he plays a position that fits into the Jets defense . Who from this draft plays a position that would fit into the defensive scheme at CB or safety and bring the greatest value to the Jets defense since so many think that these two positions will probably have the BPA should the Jets pick in the 6th spot .

The front 7 has a veteran and young leader in David Harris and Darren Lee . Most of the past year, that leadership fell to Lee but injuries and inconsistencies affected the progression . The secondary had no leadership, because that comes from the safeties, and none of the Jet safeties are leaders . It can't come from the CBs because they focus is always on the receiver and the QB .

You are talking up Darron Lee a whole lot for a guy claiming to be right.  

You think leadership is so important from safety that it overshadows CB? If leadership was so important then the secondary would not have fallen off a cliff with the loss of Cromartie and Revis injury/getting old in a hurry.  They had the same "leaders" as 2015 when they were decent to good.  They sucked in 2016 when the corner play fell off. 

Then again, I haven't studied "coaches tape" so my opinion is meaningless.

17 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

i agree but i think it is more than just leadership.  I would encourage you to splurge on Game Pass for a year it is like 100.00.  It gave me a new respect for Safety play.  Watching just broadcast you barely ever see what the safeties are doing because the cameras focus so closely to the LOS.  If the pass is never thrown and the safety did his job over top you would never know and when he total screws up and is way out of position and a pass is made you really do not see that too well either unless the useless broadcaster points it out.

Anywho I took the splurge with Game Pass and started re-watching some of the earlier games in season when everyone was healthy and the games mattered.  What struck out to me most was just how bad our Safeties are.  It seemed whenever the opposing QB needed a few yards to get that extra 1st down they would go after Prtor in man coverage and while everyone was focused on how revis was getting burned he and the others CB never really had any help over the top.

So anyway I think what is needed is some leadership through better play by Safeties which would in turn help the CBs.

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You think leadership is so important from safety that it overshadows CB? If leadership was so important then the secondary would not have fallen off a cliff with the loss of Cromartie and Revis injury/getting old in a hurry.  They had the same "leaders" as 2015 when they were decent to good.  They sucked in 2016 when the corner play fell off. 

oh dont be a crybaby bitch...was just a suggestion - take it or leave it

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not talking up Darren Lee or anyone else . Darren Lee started making most of the defensive checks last year once Harris was slowly rotated in and out of the lineup . Age played a huge part in the performance of both Cromartie and Revis, but it doesn't explain the multiple missed assignments that resulted in wide open receivers  all over the field .  I could be wrong, and that fine with me, but I believe the Jets experience all these miscues because of on the field communication issues . When the offense adjusted to what the coaches called , the on field communication in the defensive backfield didn't .  The Jets need an alpha in the secondary, and they need for Darren Lee to make some impact plays so his leadership of the front 7 will go unchallenged .

No body on the Ravens defense questioned the leadership of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed . The Jets need this for their defense .

Archived