The Jets will start 4 and 1: MERGED

Maxman

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but it depends heavily on Petty or Hackenberg stepping up (or in the unlikely case, we pick a QB high in this draft).  If either Petty or Hackenberg step up, then I think the team has a chance because this draft can help with the secondary.  

I didn't think Petty looked horrible last year while he was in there, but I would like to see him in this new system and how he adjusts.  Gailey's system relied on a high amount of "LOS" reads based on coverage, which might not be the case with Morton.  As far as talent, I think he has what it takes to step up.  The arm talent is definitely there, he has enough legs to get outside the pocket, and last year he seemed to really do a decent job in reading defenses.  I would have really loved to see him behind a decent offensive line, which was broken down by the time he was installed.  

However, this draft really needs to address the secondary, it was one of the worst out there.  I was honestly surprised at times how other teams didn't actually score more points because there were blown coverage left and right.  Revis completely abandoned press man coverage, and the other corners were beat like a drum.  

8 minutes ago, win4ever said:

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but it depends heavily on Petty or Hackenberg stepping up (or in the unlikely case, we pick a QB high in this draft).  If either Petty or Hackenberg step up, then I think the team has a chance because this draft can help with the secondary.  

I didn't think Petty looked horrible last year while he was in there, but I would like to see him in this new system and how he adjusts.  Gailey's system relied on a high amount of "LOS" reads based on coverage, which might not be the case with Morton.  As far as talent, I think he has what it takes to step up.  The arm talent is definitely there, he has enough legs to get outside the pocket, and last year he seemed to really do a decent job in reading defenses.  I would have really loved to see him behind a decent offensive line, which was broken down by the time he was installed.  

However, this draft really needs to address the secondary, it was one of the worst out there.  I was honestly surprised at times how other teams didn't actually score more points because there were blown coverage left and right.  Revis completely abandoned press man coverage, and the other corners were beat like a drum.  

I figure Morris Claiborne will be healthy the first 5 games. So that factors in a bit. Juston Burris showed promise as well. More than anything I am excited about the coaching changes on defense. Because the "communication issues" were pretty common last year.

2 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Phil's second Troll thread resently.

It isn't a troll thread. Everyone is waiving white flags, giving up.

I am serious when I say this team is going to be much better than everyone thinks. People can laugh at me, that is fine.

Time will prove me right.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I figure Morris Claiborne will be healthy the first 5 games. So that factors in a bit. Juston Burris showed promise as well. More than anything I am excited about the coaching changes on defense. Because the "communication issues" were pretty common last year.

The thing I found weird last year was that Revis got beat by AJ Green playing man coverage at the start of the season, but it wasn't horrible.  Green is a stud and he just made some great catches, albeit he accidentally stepped out on a play where I think he was set to go 80+ yards.  However, right after that, Revis went heavy on the off-coverage.  The second game, Goodwin ran right past him even with cushion, and he never seemed to recover from that.  

While it wasn't vintage Revis, I didn't think he was that horrible in press man, but he got killed in off coverage, but they never seemed to adjust after that.  There were some plays where the entire defense seemed to be in man coverage, but Revis would be 8 yards off the line by himself, and give up easy passes.  It's probably one of the most baffling defensive scheme issues I've seen in a long time.  He got beat by a stud, and then abandoned his go to style completely, and got beat anyway consistently.  I'm guessing the wrist was an issue but he was giving up free yards every game.  

I think Claiborne and whoever they bring in as a second corner should be an upgrade.  I wasn't as impressed with Burris, he showed potential, but it was all about jamming at the line with him.  If he missed the jam, it was over for him.  Even the interception against Miami, Parker ran right by him, but Moore "Fitzpatricked" it by severely under throwing the pass.  I like him as a match up corner, because I think he can handle guys that have size, but are a bit slow.  However, I think speed guys will steal his lunch unless he makes some improvements.  

I'm much more excited about the offense than the defense because I really think this could be a cornerstone year for the team moving forward.  Enunwa could entrench himself as a very good No. 2 receiver, with Anderson as a No. 3.  Peake/Smith/Patton and I guess Marshall when he returns as the back up guys seems like a good core.  And the offensive line is at least trying to get younger.  The team is trying to go younger, so it could be one of those years where we look back and go "I'm glad they gave those guys a shot".........or it could be a total disaster.  

Also in the realm of making predictions-  I guarantee you, reports out of training camp is going to an absolute 180 on Hackenberg.  They will hype him up like no tomorrow, because they need to get those clicks and nothing sells like a possible QB controversy.  I will bet, there is a Manish article already written about how Hackenberg took criticism to heart and worked on his craft all off-season, and is a new man in the works.  

Pat Mahomes II rookie of the month for September, Devin Smith is healthy making a name for himself catching bombs from the cannon that is Pat Mahomes arm.  Mo Wilk looks like his old self prior to the injury, Sheldon playing well looking to get that pay check, Leo getting even better, Lee not lost, Pryor contributing, Claiborne healthy, and the Jets are the surprise team in the AFC!

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am serious when I say this team is going to be much better than everyone thinks. People can laugh at me, that is fine.

This is my biggest jets fear and I absolutely do think its possible.  Of course, if it means we developed a real QB then I'm all for it.  But knowing us, it will be a flash in the pan and we'll still finish in last place (but out of Darnold draft position). I could see Hack or Mahomes being our real answer at QB though.  Then again, I'm rarely right when it comes to QBs.   

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

i will say that this team is capable of being better than most people think.  i think the way they had such a breakdown last season doesn't give anyone hot and fuzzy feelings for the upcoming season.  and while there is tons of venom against bowles there really aren't that many fans who stand solidly behind him.  same goes for mac. i just see these guys as being the ones currently in charge and if they succeed then the team succeeds.  hopefully they'll get good qb play out of hack or petty or ? and a much better defense than we saw last season.

Good post, Phil. I think they can go 4-1, but it depends on a few factors:

1. How Much Will Richard Sherman Cost Mike Maccagnan? John Schneider would probably settle for the #6 pick, the #39 pick, and a future conditional second rounder, but it'll come down to Maccagnan and Bowles trying to contain their excitement over paying for a former big time cornerback who's over 30. History is not on their side.

2. Can Kacy Rodgers figure out a way to keep the Bills' Mitchell Trubisky under 400 yards passing? Huge key, imo. History, again, not on our side.

3. Can we keep Josh McCown healthy for 16 games? History is not yadda yadda.

4. Can Sheldon Richardson fill the void left behind with Bruce Carter leaving? 

5. When does Cleveland pull their starters?

6. A man who lost his leg in the Boston Marathon bombing just completed that race this year on a prosthetic. With that said, how many years will it take Hackenberg to resolve the crippling issue of keeping his left foot back? 

7. Will teams, in an effort to try out other plays, stop running the ball to the spot where Darron Lee is lying on the ground? 

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. How Much Will Richard Sherman Cost Mike Maccagnan? John Schneider would probably settle for the #6 pick, the #39 pick, and a future conditional second rounder, but it'll come down to Maccagnan and Bowles trying to contain their excitement over paying for a former big time cornerback who's over 30. History is not on their side.

Gotta figure we'd throw in a 4th here, just to sweeten the pot

This entire season rides on the maturity of the young players on this team now that the veterans they looked to for guidance are gone. None of the veterans we cut were leaders.

What did the young receivers learn from Marshall & Decker? From Brandon how to roll your eyes or alligator arm passes? (Marshall played great in 2015 but he's the perfect example of a teammate who's a detriment when things go bad).

When you look deeper into the veterans we expected to lead us it's depressing. Marshall, a player who has worn out his welcome in Denver, Chicago & the Jets. Decker, a guy who chose the Jets so his wife could further her career in NY, and he can't stay healthy. Mangold, a team jester good guy who was making almost 10 million to play center while his play deteriorated to a point where he's still available on the open market in a 32 team league. I appreciate Nicks past play, this is just another example of how poorly the Jets draft where we overpay positions because we suck everywhere else.

Heres my take on our direction with Morton & the new defensive coaches brought in. The defense had an off year. There are players on this defense who can improve tremendously in 2017. Burris, Lee, Jenkins, Leo, Pryor, Mauldin + Mo who could regain his play from 2014. If we can't move Sheldon & he's playing in a contract year the newer D coaches might actually use him properly. While fans of opposing teams find the Jets a joke, a weak Oline facing a revved up Mo, Leo, Sheldon + a pass rusher in this draft? Could be a top 5 Dline in this league. For all we know Barnett could be the pick @ 6?

Confidence goes a long way in this league. If our young guys start making plays you guys know that it pumps up the entire team. Our worst players last year were the veterans we paid the most money and most of them ended the season injured. I will not be surprised if our defense smacks around some average QBs. @ Buffalo? They can win that game. Oaklands defense was horrible last year, it's not like they're playing the 85 Bears,lol. Every team in this league besides the Patriots & maybe Dallas now lose to teams they have no right losing to. All the rest are vulnerable to BAD GAMES. Overall NFL play just isn't that good.

5 hours ago, win4ever said:

It was all part of the plan - blow so many coverages that it confuses the opposing QB to the point that he doesn't know which one is the best option to take. :D 

6 hours ago, win4ever said:

Finally someone who gets it

Petty and the Jets

btw - i think Hack will show improvements but he wont leapfrog Petty just yet and that is fine as long as he keeps getting better he is only 21.

Sticky this.  The Jets won't win 4 games all season.

Even if you're correct that we are underestimating the player quality level of this team; have you forgotten that Bowles' gameplanning, adjustments, and overall decision making is horrible?

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

You do this yourself every year.  Your used to everyone laughing at you at this point.  I want to feel bad for your but your unwavering optimism is sexy.  

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

They are probably going to drop the week 2 game in Oakland. But will start 4 and 1.

That week 5 game vs the Patriots will be for first place.

7 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Agreed. Christian Hackenberg will be ranked second in the AFC for passing TDs at that point. 

This is seriously why Hackenberg needs to start, because if they're 4-1 w Mccown I'm going to cut off my thumbs. 

Schedule fell out nicely for us. Buffalo Win

Oakland Loss

Miami Win

jags Win

Browns Win

4-1 start

51 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Sticky this.  The Jets won't win 4 games all season.

Even if you're correct that we are underestimating the player quality level of this team; have you forgotten that Bowles' gameplanning, adjustments, and overall decision making is horrible?

I just did sticky this. I love fans who are so definite in their predictions. I have no clue but as a Jet fan I'm more positive truly believing that maybe, just maybe a couple of young guys emerge as leaders.

Archived