The Jets will start 4 and 1: MERGED

Maxman

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, thadude said:

Hard to see us doing it without a qb

We beat Buffalo twice without a QB, Miami is SO OVERATED it's ridiculous! Stop their run game & anything can happen. Jets Dline might kill Bortles, their Oline is suspect. Browns is a toss up, Osweiller has one of the slowest releases in the NFL. Brock meet Leo the Lion....fumble, scoop, score.

Obviously any of those games could go either way but whose to say the Jets don't get the breaks?

8 minutes ago, thadude said:

Suck for Sam!

Of course, 100% agree. However, that's unless Hackenberg is a franchise QB. Which I'm saying is highly unlikely, but possible. Honestly if they miss out on "the" QB in next year's draft because of A couple wins by Mccown I go bedlam.

15 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I agree. 3-2 or 4-1. 

That first part of the schedule is pretty easy.

The fans of the 'easy' teams the Jets are playing are undoubtedly saying the exact same thing.  Nobody with a pulse is penciling the Jets in as a loss next season.  No, not even the Browns fans.

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Of course, 100% agree. However, that's unless Hackenberg is a franchise QB. Which I'm saying is highly unlikely, but possible. Honestly if they miss out on "the" QB in next year's draft because of A couple wins by Mccown I go bedlam.

Isn't Hackenberg like 21 years old? How long did it take Alex Smith to become an NFL QB? I'm not opposed to taking another QB to hedge our bets with Petty & Hack, but none of us know sh*t yet. I'm praying that this Morton guy turns out to be the QB whisperer this team needs. Just once, I'd love to see an OC who puts in a system that melds with what our QBs are good at. Parcells molded Vinny T into a play action QB with Curtis Martin in the backfield, I'm hoping beyond hope Joe Mixon drops into the Jets arms & we get a guy like him learning from all around RBs like Forte & Powell, (both can run between the tackles, catch out of the backfield and block). Add in a young TE like Engram, Everett or Shaheen, and now you have 2 players breathing down the necks of these older RBs, and a guy like ASJ who hasn't played to his expectations. 

These young guys could make the 2nd half of the season truly exciting heading into another offseason & the 3rd draft of Macc & the Jets rebuild.

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

They are probably going to drop the week 2 game in Oakland. But will start 4 and 1.

That week 5 game vs the Patriots will be for first place.

i hope you're right but..  we'll start... 1 & 4    :cry:

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Isn't Hackenberg like 21 years old? How long did it take Alex Smith to become an NFL QB? I'm not opposed to taking another QB to hedge our bets with Petty & Hack, but none of us know sh*t yet. I'm praying that this Morton guy turns out to be the QB whisperer this team needs. Just once, I'd love to see an OC who puts in a system that melds with what our QBs are good at. Parcells molded Vinny T into a play action QB with Curtis Martin in the backfield, I'm hoping beyond hope Joe Mixon drops into the Jets arms & we get a guy like him learning from all around RBs like Forte & Powell, (both can run between the tackles, catch out of the backfield and block). Add in a young TE like Engram, Everett or Shaheen, and now you have 2 players breathing down the necks of these older RBs, and a guy like ASJ who hasn't played to his expectations. 

These young guys could make the 2nd half of the season truly exciting heading into another offseason & the 3rd draft of Macc & the Jets rebuild.

Sifting through a lot of opinions here, and a lot I don't agree w/ like (Mixon) I agree and understand it's probably not fair to expect so much so early from Hackenberg. But at this point, the Jets are in a weird spot. And they put themselves in this spot. Second round QB picks really don't get 3-4 years anymore when the team is in desperate, dire need of one.  He doesn't need to be a pro bowler at first , but some kind of promise....which I understand will be debatable anyway, or either way.

Not sure about 4-1 but I figured 3-2 and 4-1 is possible,  And believe me I am not an eternal optimist.  Looking at the sched on 1st glance I thought 7-9 with most wins coming in the 1st half of the season.  We play some suspect teams early on and have home games vs some of the medium looking teams.

Also the biggest factor:  when you think the Jets are going to suck they overachieve and when you think they are gitting gud they fall on their asses.  It's like the seasons, ever eternal.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Good post, Phil. I think they can go 4-1, but it depends on a few factors:

1. How Much Will Richard Sherman Cost Mike Maccagnan? John Schneider would probably settle for the #6 pick, the #39 pick, and a future conditional second rounder, but it'll come down to Maccagnan and Bowles trying to contain their excitement over paying for a former big time cornerback who's over 30. History is not on their side. Lets see what happens in the draft CB wise before we panic.

2. Can Kacy Rodgers figure out a way to keep the Bills' Mitchell Trubisky under 400 yards passing? Huge key, imo. History, again, not on our side. Are we talking about practice or is Mitch on another team?

3. Can we keep Josh McCown healthy for 16 games? History is not yadda yadda. Two words: Best Mentor Ever.

4. Can Sheldon Richardson fill the void left behind with Bruce Carter leaving? Hopefully he is traded on draft day. Addition by subtraction.

5. When does Cleveland pull their starters? 4th quarter, once the Jets go up by over 21.

6. A man who lost his leg in the Boston Marathon bombing just completed that race this year on a prosthetic. With that said, how many years will it take Hackenberg to resolve the crippling issue of keeping his left foot back? The kid is the future. You can fight it. But resistance is futile.

7. Will teams, in an effort to try out other plays, stop running the ball to the spot where Darron Lee is lying on the ground? I was really critical of Lee last year. His habit of saying stupid things concerns me more than his size. That said, in coverage he was terrible but he was always in the right spot. He has to fix his technique. If he is getting run over in the middle of the field things haven't gone according to plan.

hahaha very funny. Answers above in Red.

I've been saying this all along, those who keep talking about the potential for the #1 pick are simply convincing themselves of what they want to believe, but it's not going to come anywhere close to happening.  There a number of very winnable games on this schedule and while the Jets certainly won't be any real degree of a contender this year, they also won't be nearly as bad as some are saying/hoping.  They'll be a middle of the road team that could certainly fall somewhere around 8 wins for the season.  Hopefully that will go along with a sign of good things, but that's far from a guarantee.  As much as some talk about the Jets supposedly being the absolute worst, they won 5 game last year and are already better by simple subtraction.  This season has a "bounce back" of sorts written all over it, we just need to hope there's some real progress seen along the way and that they continue to improve into the following years.

50 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Schedule fell out nicely for us. Buffalo Win

Oakland Loss

Miami Win

jags Win

Browns Win

4-1 start

@Buffalo = Loss (Home opener for Buffalo, they will come to prove something)

@Oakland = Loss (Not winning in the Black Hole)

Dolphins = Loss (They actually improved their team this off season and we had trouble beating them last year with a better team)

Jags = Loss (Caughlin will prove his worth as an asset in Jax when they actually make the playoffs)

Browns = Loss (Actually have a better team and a better coach then the Jets, I would take Jackson over Bowles anyday)

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

They are probably going to drop the week 2 game in Oakland. But will start 4 and 1.

That week 5 game vs the Patriots will be for first place.

@Buffalo = Loss (Home opener for Buffalo, they will come to prove something)

@Oakland = Loss (Not winning in the Black Hole)

Dolphins = Loss (They actually improved their team this off season and we had trouble beating them last year with a better team)

Jags = Loss (Caughlin will prove his worth as an asset in Jax when they actually make the playoffs)

@Browns = Loss (Actually have a better team and a better coach then the Jets, I would take Jackson over Bowles anyday)

7 hours ago, win4ever said:

I'm much more excited about the offense than the defense because I really think this could be a cornerstone year for the team moving forward.  Enunwa could entrench himself as a very good No. 2 receiver, with Anderson as a No. 3.  Peake/Smith/Patton and I guess Marshall when he returns as the back up guys seems like a good core.  And the offensive line is at least trying to get younger.  The team is trying to go younger, so it could be one of those years where we look back and go "I'm glad they gave those guys a shot".........or it could be a total disaster.  

A total disaster. Going young only works when you have a superior coaching staff. Bowles staffed up with fly weights that aren't qualified to take his job. That's their main qualification. Bowles: heavy on politics, thin on coaching.

WEEK 1: @ Buffalo Bills L McCown
WEEK 2: @ Raiders  L McCown
WEEK 3: Dolphins L McCown
WEEK 4: Jaguars L McCown
WEEK 5: @ Browns L McCown
WEEK 6: Patriots L Petty
WEEK 7: @ Dolphins L McCown
WEEK 8: Falcons L Petty
WEEK 9: Bills L Petty Bowles FIRES Bryant Boyer
WEEK 10: @ Buccaneers L McCown 
WEEK 11: BYE Bowles FIRED; Mike Caldwell Interim HC
WEEK 12: Panthers L Hackenberg
WEEK 13: Chiefs L Hackenberg
WEEK 14: @ Broncos L Hackenberg
WEEK 15: @ Saints L Hackenberg
WEEK 16: Chargers L Hackenberg
WEEK 17: @ Patriots L Hackenberg

Just now, jetrider said:

A total disaster. Going young only works when you have a superior coaching staff. Bowles staffed up with fly weights that aren't qualified to take his job. That's their main qualification. Bowles: heavy on politics, thin on coaching.

WEEK 1: @ Buffalo Bills L McCown
WEEK 2: @ Raiders  L McCown
WEEK 3: Dolphins L McCown
WEEK 4: Jaguars L McCown
WEEK 5: @ Browns L McCown
WEEK 6: Patriots L Petty
WEEK 7: @ Dolphins L McCown
WEEK 8: Falcons L Petty
WEEK 9: Bills L Petty Bowles FIRES Bryant Boyer
WEEK 10: @ Buccaneers L McCown 
WEEK 11: BYE Bowles FIRED; Mike Caldwell Interim HC
WEEK 12: Panthers L Hackenberg
WEEK 13: Chiefs L Hackenberg
WEEK 14: @ Broncos L Hackenberg
WEEK 15: @ Saints L Hackenberg
WEEK 16: Chargers L Hackenberg
WEEK 17: @ Patriots L Hackenberg

It could play out like that.... But I think there is a chance Hackenberg wins the job from jump street and they win 3 games... like chargers... Bills at Home... and maybe Browns or Dolphins at home.

oh,..  btw.. our record will probably be...

WEEK 1: @ Buffalo Bills 
WEEK 2: @ Raiders  
WEEK 3: Dolphins 
WEEK 4: Jaguars 
WEEK 5: @ Browns W
WEEK 6: Patriots 
WEEK 7: @ Dolphins 
WEEK 8: Falcons 
WEEK 9: Bills 
WEEK 10: @ Buccaneers 
WEEK 11: BYE 
WEEK 12: Panthers 
WEEK 13: Chiefs 
WEEK 14: @ Broncos 
WEEK 15: @ Saints 
WEEK 16: Chargers 
WEEK 17: @ Patriots 

:cry:

Just now, kelly said:

oh,..  btw.. our record will probably be...

WEEK 1: @ Buffalo Bills 
WEEK 2: @ Raiders  
WEEK 3: Dolphins 
WEEK 4: Jaguars 
WEEK 5: @ Browns W
WEEK 6: Patriots 
WEEK 7: @ Dolphins 
WEEK 8: Falcons 
WEEK 9: Bills 
WEEK 10: @ Buccaneers 
WEEK 11: BYE 
WEEK 12: Panthers 
WEEK 13: Chiefs 
WEEK 14: @ Broncos 
WEEK 15: @ Saints 
WEEK 16: Chargers 
WEEK 17: @ Patriots 

:cry:

Really?? Loss to the chargers?? 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Not sure about 4-1 but I figured 3-2 and 4-1 is possible,  And believe me I am not an eternal optimist.  Looking at the sched on 1st glance I thought 7-9 with most wins coming in the 1st half of the season.  We play some suspect teams early on and have home games vs some of the medium looking teams.

Also the biggest factor:  when you think the Jets are going to suck they overachieve and when you think they are gitting gud they fall on their asses.  It's like the seasons, ever eternal.

Here's the thing, even though our defense struggled last year there's no telling what kind of turnaround they could have. If Harris isn't cut he's finally a 2 down LB with Jenkins & Lee coming into their 2nd year. Clairborne is one of those players that too much was expected & he gets his 2nd chance with a lot more experience. I have a gut feeling that if the Jets don't find a trade partner @ 6 and Adams is sitting there our secondary instantly gets WAY BETTER because not only does that give us the best safety we've had since Kerry Rhodes (and Kerry couldn't  tackle like Adams), plus the 3rd round will be filled with able CBs & I'm positive were drafting 1 of them with 2 third round picks. 

So, with a revamped secondary adding a lot of speed, now Calvin Pryor gets to play in the box where he belongs. Now you add Kevin Green as the LB coach, he'll be putting fire to the azzes of Mauldin, and any other players he tabs as pass rushers. If Sheldon doesn't get traded, they still have a formidable front and probably a healthy Mo who gets a full camp this year.

Buffalo, Dolphins, Jags, Browns? A good defense playing well, your QB taking care of the ball, all of them winnable. Terrell Pryor was the best player the Browns had & he's gone,lol. 

2 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

0-5.  You do realize the Vegas has our over/under at 3.5 for the SEASON. I'm taking the under.   2-14.  Take off the rose colored glasses we are gonna suck like it's 96. 

I already see the back of #15 running wild on opening day. Buffalo's #15 that is, ours wears blue now.

57 minutes ago, Jetster said:

We beat Buffalo twice without a QB, Miami is SO OVERATED it's ridiculous! Stop their run game & anything can happen. Jets Dline might kill Bortles, their Oline is suspect. Browns is a toss up, Osweiller has one of the slowest releases in the NFL. Brock meet Leo the Lion....fumble, scoop, score.

Obviously any of those games could go either way but whose to say the Jets don't get the breaks?

People have such short memory I swear...Miami crushed us twice last year, and have raced by us like a 747 racing a 1972 VW Bug.

I just don't get the optimism. Hope to god I am wrong about everything, I really do. Problem is, I am usually spot on.

Archived