The Jets will start 4 and 1: MERGED

Maxman

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kmnj said:

troll post

jets wont win 4 games all season and if you believe will open 4-1 you have not watched the jets play football

Nobody has watched the Jets play football in 2017, that is kind of the point.

There are guys who are working on making the team better. Where they left off isn't where they start.

5 hours ago, jamesr said:

It was all part of the plan - blow so many coverages that it confuses the opposing QB to the point that he doesn't know which one is the best option to take. :D 

Lol, I wouldn't put it past the crew.  I think they got lucky last year because they didn't really face a top group of QBs

Week 1:  Got torched by Dalton

Week 2:  Got torched by Taylor

Week 3:  Got torched by Smith

Week 4:  We got torched by a hurt Wilson- which was the pre-game conversation about how he would play and deal with the vicious Jets D.  

Week 5:  Got torched by Big Ben

Week 6:  Got a decent game by Palmer, who looked like he was over the hill at points during the season

Week 7:  Held down Joe Flacco

Week 8:  Got a mixed game from newly minter savior McCown, still gave up like 340 yards in the air.  

Week 9:  Held down Tannehill, 

Week 10:  Held down stud Chase Keenum

Week 11:  Tom Brady had a good game against us

Week 12:  Got torched by Luck

Week 13:  Held down Kapernick, who torched us in the first half, and then tanked.

Week 14: Got torched by stud Matt Moore

Week 15:  Tom Brady was Tom Brady

Week 16:  We held down EJ Manuel and Cardale

We got torched by anyone that had talent (except Flacco, and he had no weapons either).  I think the stats got skewed at the end because they faced bad competition except Brady, which makes the overall stats a bit better than it should have been.  

5 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Finally someone who gets it

Petty and the Jets

btw - i think Hack will show improvements but he wont leapfrog Petty just yet and that is fine as long as he keeps getting better he is only 21.

I think Petty has a shot at being good, it's not physical, because on a pure physical level - I like him better than any QB in this draft.  It's really the mental aspect with him, because the system last year was much easier to transition into (which I thought he did decently) than the one now.  If he can grasp it mentally, I think a lot of people are going to be surprised with his ability.  There were a bunch of throws last year that very few QBs (and certainly not Jets QBs of the recent past) could make.  His biggest issue was timing, he kept missing long on deep passes, which showed that he wasn't in tune with the speed of his receivers.  

I also don't think it's a coincidence that Powell broke out with him in games, because teams have to defend a strong armed QB with deep pass tendencies very differently than the Fitzpatrick era.  Those LBs take an extra step back, safeties take two steps back, and the play action is much more effective because the second tier players are forced to make a decision quicker because they are further away.  

Saying all this, have no clue how he adjusts to the new system, which I'm not even sure what it's going to be.  

Hackenberg has to just show minimal improvement, and I guarantee you the story line is going to be that he's leaps and bounds better.  At the start of the off-season, I mentioned that trashing Hackenberg was the first step in selling clicks on articles this off-season.  

1.  Trash Hackenberg, everyone hates him.

2.  How can Macc draft this guy?  Do we fire him?  Is this his last year?  

3.  Bowles couldn't develop him.  Do we fire him?  Do we fire Gailey?  

4.  Do we sign top tier FA?  Obviously we have no one good, so have to sign a good veteran, right?  Makes sense?

5.  We missed out on top tier guys, what is Macc doing?  

6.  Do we draft a QB?  We need a QB, right?  Let's draft one.  

7.  Why didn't we draft a top tier QB?  Did Macc screw up again

Alternative if we draft QB:  This is admittance that they hate Hack, we were right months ago, Daily News brings you the goods ahead of time

Now the next part in my theory, they build Hackenberg right back up-

1.  He looks more poised and in control (garbage coaches talk that can't be quantified in any which way) this year, more relaxed.

2.  His release looks smoother

3.  Teammates believe in him again (Enter random quote from some guy desperate to make the team being wax poetic about anyone and everyone)

4.  Jets are not sure which QB to pick, Hackenberg really making them think

5.  Who would you pick?  Will the Jets screw this up?  

6.  No matter who they pick, the Jets screwed it up

It's the best path to the most clicks and that's what the media is aiming for.  The unfortunate problem is that, a large portion of the fan base will take it at face value and we'll just get more of these articles. 

3 hours ago, jetrider said:

A total disaster. Going young only works when you have a superior coaching staff. Bowles staffed up with fly weights that aren't qualified to take his job. That's their main qualification. Bowles: heavy on politics, thin on coaching.

WEEK 1: @ Buffalo Bills L McCown
WEEK 2: @ Raiders  L McCown
WEEK 3: Dolphins L McCown
WEEK 4: Jaguars L McCown
WEEK 5: @ Browns L McCown
WEEK 6: Patriots L Petty
WEEK 7: @ Dolphins L McCown
WEEK 8: Falcons L Petty
WEEK 9: Bills L Petty Bowles FIRES Bryant Boyer
WEEK 10: @ Buccaneers L McCown 
WEEK 11: BYE Bowles FIRED; Mike Caldwell Interim HC
WEEK 12: Panthers L Hackenberg
WEEK 13: Chiefs L Hackenberg
WEEK 14: @ Broncos L Hackenberg
WEEK 15: @ Saints L Hackenberg
WEEK 16: Chargers L Hackenberg
WEEK 17: @ Patriots L Hackenberg

If they start the season with McCown in a year they are trying to quasi rebuild, Bowles needs to be fired as soon as he runs on the field.  

They have to start the year with Petty/Hackenberg, and use McCown as a true back up, instead of a QB competition BS.  

3 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Lol, I wouldn't put it past the crew.  I think they got lucky last year because they didn't really face a top group of QBs

Week 1:  Got torched by Dalton

Week 2:  Got torched by Taylor

Week 3:  Got torched by Smith

Week 4:  We got torched by a hurt Wilson- which was the pre-game conversation about how he would play and deal with the vicious Jets D.  

Week 5:  Got torched by Big Ben

Week 6:  Got a decent game by Palmer, who looked like he was over the hill at points during the season

Week 7:  Held down Joe Flacco

Week 8:  Got a mixed game from newly minter savior McCown, still gave up like 340 yards in the air.  

Week 9:  Held down Tannehill, 

Week 10:  Held down stud Chase Keenum

Week 11:  Tom Brady had a good game against us

Week 12:  Got torched by Luck

Week 13:  Held down Kapernick, who torched us in the first half, and then tanked.

Week 14: Got torched by stud Matt Moore

Week 15:  Tom Brady was Tom Brady

Week 16:  We held down EJ Manuel and Cardale

We got torched by anyone that had talent (except Flacco, and he had no weapons either).  I think the stats got skewed at the end because they faced bad competition except Brady, which makes the overall stats a bit better than it should have been.  

I think Petty has a shot at being good, it's not physical, because on a pure physical level - I like him better than any QB in this draft.  It's really the mental aspect with him, because the system last year was much easier to transition into (which I thought he did decently) than the one now.  If he can grasp it mentally, I think a lot of people are going to be surprised with his ability.  There were a bunch of throws last year that very few QBs (and certainly not Jets QBs of the recent past) could make.  His biggest issue was timing, he kept missing long on deep passes, which showed that he wasn't in tune with the speed of his receivers.  

I also don't think it's a coincidence that Powell broke out with him in games, because teams have to defend a strong armed QB with deep pass tendencies very differently than the Fitzpatrick era.  Those LBs take an extra step back, safeties take two steps back, and the play action is much more effective because the second tier players are forced to make a decision quicker because they are further away.  

Saying all this, have no clue how he adjusts to the new system, which I'm not even sure what it's going to be.  

Hackenberg has to just show minimal improvement, and I guarantee you the story line is going to be that he's leaps and bounds better.  At the start of the off-season, I mentioned that trashing Hackenberg was the first step in selling clicks on articles this off-season.  

1.  Trash Hackenberg, everyone hates him.

2.  How can Macc draft this guy?  Do we fire him?  Is this his last year?  

3.  Bowles couldn't develop him.  Do we fire him?  Do we fire Gailey?  

4.  Do we sign top tier FA?  Obviously we have no one good, so have to sign a good veteran, right?  Makes sense?

5.  We missed out on top tier guys, what is Macc doing?  

6.  Do we draft a QB?  We need a QB, right?  Let's draft one.  

7.  Why didn't we draft a top tier QB?  Did Macc screw up again

Alternative if we draft QB:  This is admittance that they hate Hack, we were right months ago, Daily News brings you the goods ahead of time

Now the next part in my theory, they build Hackenberg right back up-

1.  He looks more poised and in control (garbage coaches talk that can't be quantified in any which way) this year, more relaxed.

2.  His release looks smoother

3.  Teammates believe in him again (Enter random quote from some guy desperate to make the team being wax poetic about anyone and everyone)

4.  Jets are not sure which QB to pick, Hackenberg really making them think

5.  Who would you pick?  Will the Jets screw this up?  

6.  No matter who they pick, the Jets screwed it up

It's the best path to the most clicks and that's what the media is aiming for.  The unfortunate problem is that, a large portion of the fan base will take it at face value and we'll just get more of these articles. 

I also think they purposely dis Petty for those extra click bait too

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Nobody has watched the Jets play football in 2017, that is kind of the point.

There are guys who are working on making the team better. Where they left off isn't where they start.

no one has watched them play football in 2017 because they were terrible and didn't make the playoffs.

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

They are probably going to drop the week 2 game in Oakland. But will start 4 and 1.

That week 5 game vs the Patriots will be for first place.

I think you forget that we didn't resign Ryan Fitzpatrick who won 13 of his last 27 starts.

The new guy, he has won 2 of his last 22 starts.

SAR I

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

But Fitz had a bad year. 

He's have gone 8-8 with a couple of bounces and if we didn't give Bryce Petty a tryout.

That's not a "bad" year.  That's a competent year.  The QB's we have now are incompetent.  And don't get me started on the head coach.  And don't even talk about the OC or the QB coach either.  I'm attending all the preseason games, even the ones on the road.  It's the only competitive play we're going to see all season.

SAR I

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He might not start. That will be determined in preseason

....then things get worse. 

Petty won't be ready by preseason, even if he is he likely will be sore and rusty.  So we're looking at a Hack vs. Clown battle all July and August, no way McCown can go 4-1, very very unlikely Hackenberg can go 2-3.

What is it with Pollyanna Jets fans?  Cray cray.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

He's have gone 8-8 with a couple of bounces and if we didn't give Bryce Petty a tryout.

That's not a "bad" year.  That's a competent year.  The QB's we have now are incompetent.  And don't get me started on the head coach.  And don't even talk about the OC or the QB coach either.  I'm attending all the preseason games, even the ones on the road.  It's the only competitive play we're going to see all season.

SAR I

It all comes back to this point. The Jets had the worst QB play in the league last year and the worst secondary.

And they won 5 games. Don't care how. They won 5 games.

The Parcells Theorem. You are what you're record says you are

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

....then things get worse. 

Petty won't be ready by preseason, even if he is he likely will be sore and rusty.  So we're looking at a Hack vs. Clown battle all July and August, no way McCown can go 4-1, very very unlikely Hackenberg can go 2-3.

What is it with Pollyanna Jets fans?  Cray cray.

SAR I

Nothing to do with Pollyanna. It's logic. I still the Jets are going to win only 5-7 games. But their early schedule is pretty light IMO

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It all comes back to this point. The Jets had the worst QB play in the league last year and the worst secondary.

And they won 5 games. Don't care how. They won 5 games.

The Parcells Theorem. You are what you're record says you are

This.  Hey, I'm all for a rebuild if that's what they want to do.  Why not?  Not like the Patriots are letting us out of their tractor beam anytime soon. 

But the real reason we are about to go 3-13 isn't because of the core of the team; it's because of the quarterback.  The only thing preventing us from a realistic shot at a 4-1 start and an outside shot at a 9-7 wildcard is the fact that we stubbornly kicked Ryan Fitzpatrick to the curb to appease numbskull Jets fans who always blame the wrong guy and never admit when they are wrong.  You'd think they'd have learned after their knee-jerk Sanchez overreaction which led to our worst era since Kotite.  Geniuses.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This.  Hey, I'm all for a rebuild if that's what they want to do.  Why not?  Not like the Patriots are letting us out of their tractor beam anytime soon. 

But the real reason we are about to go 3-13 isn't because of the core of the team; it's because of the quarterback.  The only thing preventing us from a realistic shot at a 4-1 start and an outside shot at a 9-7 wildcard is the fact that we stubbornly kicked Ryan Fitzpatrick to the curb to appease numbskull Jets fans who always blame the wrong guy and never admit when they are wrong.  You'd think they'd have learned after their knee-jerk Sanchez overreaction which led to our worst era since Kotite.  Geniuses.

SAR I

Agreed. This all could have been prevented if we kept Mark Sanchez.

11 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Nothing to do with Pollyanna. It's logic.

No, it is Pollyanna.  Here's why:

2017 is the first year since 1997 where we don't have a quarterback going into the season and the fans are not coming to grips with it.  For the last 20 years heading into camp we have always had a reason to feel good about the QB position:

1998-2001 we had Vinny Testaverde.  Always hopeful at the start of each season as he'd proven himself worthy and could make all the throws.

2002-2007 we had Chad Pennington.  Always hopeful at the start of each season as he'd had some success, won playoff games, was a respected team leader, played smart.

2008 we had Brett Favre.  Made the NFC Championship Game the year prior, felt surprising and exciting, knew we were in for a fun season.

2009-2012 we had Mark Sanchez.  Early stunning success, big playoff wins, a young kid on the rise, his trajectory felt good entering those seasons.

2013-2014 we had Geno Smith.  He went 8-8, we were optimistic for both years going in.

2015-2016 we had Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Shockingly went 10-5, followed up with a year that we knew was going to be hard but most felt would lead us close to a wildcard.

2017 we have Josh McCown who is 2-20 in his last 22 NFL starts spanning 3 years.  We have Bryce Petty who looked weak before he injured his throwing arm.  We have Christian Hackenberg who most feel shouldn't have even made an NFL roster.

Pollyanna is expecting the 2017 offseason abyss to play out like the last 20 years where things felt good going into the summer.  It's not happening.  It needs to start being accepted as truth.  We have no quarterback.  We are in waters uncharted since 1997.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Agreed. This all could have been prevented if we kept Mark Sanchez.

Sounds funny as a curt social media comeback, but you are correct.

The strongest quarterback prospect the Jets had unearthed since Joe Namath, who knows what he might have matured into with the right coaching and the right young personnel for him to bond with.  What we do know is how bad we've been since his departure.  Wouldn't have been any worse, likely would have been better.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

2017 is the first year since 1997 where we don't have a quarterback going into the season and the fans are not coming to grips with it.  For the last 20 years heading into camp we have always had a reason to feel good about the QB position:

1998-2001 we had Vinny Testaverde.  Always hopeful at the start of each season as he'd proven himself worthy and could make all the throws.

2002-2007 we had Chad Pennington.  Always hopeful at the start of each season as he'd had some success, won playoff games, was a respected team leader, played smart.

2008 we had Brett Favre.  Made the NFC Championship Game the year prior, felt surprising and exciting, knew we were in for a fun season.

2009-2012 we had Mark Sanchez.  Early stunning success, big playoff wins, a young kid on the rise, his trajectory felt good entering those seasons.

2013-2014 we had Geno Smith.  He went 8-8, we were optimistic for both years going in.

2015-2016 we had Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Shockingly went 10-5, followed up with a year that we knew was going to be hard but most felt would lead us close to a wildcard.

2017 we have Josh McCown who is 2-20 in his last 22 NFL starts spanning 3 years.  We have Bryce Petty who looked weak before he injured his throwing arm.  We have Christian Hackenberg who most feel shouldn't have even made an NFL roster.

Pollyanna is expecting the 2017 offseason abyss to play out like the last 20 years where things felt good going into the summer.  It's not happening.  It needs to start being accepted as truth.  We have no quarterback.  We are in waters uncharted since 1997.

SAR I

he injured his NON throwing shoulder and looks fine to me

50 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

766c0b9a9b937c8fcef494420af4ebb1.jpg

16 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

[Meme]

Since Mark Sanchez was run out of town, the New York Jets are 27-37, have had 1 winning season in 4 tries, have not made the playoffs, and have led to the resurgences of the Giants and Dolphins. 

Geno Smith, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Josh McCown, working our way steadily down the ladder of success.  Laugh it up.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Wait a minute, things felt good going into the summer?

3 hours ago, slats said:

Is Hackenberg gonna switch his number to #14? I hope so! That's really been a winner for Jets' QBs over the years. 

I cannot watch any Jets in #14 or #7.  F Richard Todd.  F Geno Smith.

SAR I

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Wait a minute, things felt good going into the summer?

In those seasons, at the quarterback position, yes.  Hey, we never had a great quarterback, of course.  Was it good enough?  Of course not.

That said, the fact remains that the era of Testaverde to Pennington to Favre to Sanchez was the best 15 year stretch at that position in team history.  Each summer leading up to those seasons we felt we had a competent player at the position.

This season, the abyss.  This season we find out what it's like to be the Cleveland Browns since Kosar.  Reminder, they are still trying to find a guy just at the level of the four Jets mentioned above after 25 years of trying.

SAR I

Too many question marks for me to agree with the Max's forecast of 4W and 1L.  

Will Kelvin Beachum, Morris Claiborne and Josh McCown stay healthy, if they manage to start ?

The Ryan Clady experiment last year reminds me how hard it is to expect a player with an extensive injury history to stay healthy.

I'm not as excited about Justin Burris talent as some are. Will Eric Decker stay healthy if he is still on the team ?

Decker could be a difference maker and a security blanket for our young qbs.  Excited to see more of Robbie Anderson.

Who the Jets choose at 6 (if they stay there) will tell us what the Jets truly think of Hackenberg.

If they draft a QB anywhere in the first round, it means they can't wait for 2018 and they are not hopeful for Hackenberg.

If we don't draft a qb, the rumours may be true that the front office feel confident in Hackenberg to prove the cynics wrong.

Archived