JetNation Mock Draft v2.0, Trubisky or Trade Down

JetNation

IMG_1661-1.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

With the NFL draft just under a week away, we re-visit the land of make-believe to take our best shot at what direction the Jets will go in as they look to re-build a roster that has more big questions than answers at this point.

Trying to predict draft picks is a big enough sucker’s bet on its own, so when you start adding in trades, it becomes even tougher.  However, a deal between the Jets and Browns in a swap of first round picks just makes too much sense for both sides to pass up.  We know the Jets want to move down, we know Cleveland is also in need of a young quarterback, and we know the Browns have a plethora of picks to deal.

What better way for Cleveland to address their QB situation than with a kid from Ohio and an offensive-minded head coach?  With this being the case, and the Jets being the most likely team to take Trubisky, both sides get what they want.

The Jets move down six slots and add picks 52 and 188 overall.

Round 1 (#12 overall from Cleveland with picks #52 & #188 received in exchange for #6 overall): TE OJ Howard, Alabama

With the 12th pick, it’s Alabama tight end OJ Howard who some have projected to the Jets at number six, but if Cleveland takes Trubisky in that spot, there’s enough talent on the board to push Howard all the way down to the Jets again at 12.

Howard wasn’t overly productive at Alabama, but it seems the experts agree that it had nothing to do with his skill set, and everything to do with Lane Kiffin’s play calling at Alabama.

Back-up plans:  If they Jets stay at 6, Trubisky is the pick, but Malik Hooker should get some serious consideration.   Should they move to 12 and Howard is gone, it’s another OSU first rounder in Gareon Conley.

Round 2 (#39 overall): OLB Tyus Bowser, Houston

Bowser is a player the Jets have shown some interest in and was the first player we highlighted in our “Deducing the Jets Draft Board” series this season, and he’s been doing nothing but climbing draft boards since the combine in Indy, with some projections listing him as a possible late first round pick.

Despite missing a chunk of his senior campaign at Houston, Bowser managed to rack up 8.5 sacks in just 8 games as he steadily improved his overall play against the run and in pass coverage.  Having played football for only a few seasons after making the switch from college basketball, Bowser has elite athleticism that showed not only on the field, but in combine workouts in Indianapolis.

Bowser’s 37.5” vertical was tops among linebackers at the combine, his 4.65 40 time ranked fifth, his 10′ 7” broad jump placed him 3rd, and his 6.75 second 3-cone drill was also good for the best time among his fellow linebackers.

His on-field production tells us Bowser is far more than just a “workout warrior”, and his lack of experience leaves room for plenty to learn and build upon.

Back-up plans: If not Bowser, the Jets will look for another option to generate some pressure off the edge.  Tim Williams from Alabama would have to be a top consideration.

Round 2 (#52 overall): OG Dan Feeney, Indiana

The Jets re-signed center Wesley Johnson to a one-year deal with zero guaranteed money.  With that being the case, you have to wonder just how much the Jets love the idea of him being their starting center.  Feeney got some work at center during his time at Indiana and could play there for a couple of years before possibly transitioning to guard.

Back-up plans:   Obi Melifonwu, a safety out of Connecticut has physical traits that can’t be ignored.  The 6′ 4” safety who ran a 4.4 in Indy may get a look at cornerback with safety being the fallback option if he flops there.

Round 3 (#70 overall):  CB Jourdan Lewis, Michigan

Given the amount of depth at the position this season as many pundits list at least a dozen starting-caliber cornerbacks, which one it will be for the Jets (or any other team for that matter) is truly a crap shoot.   In this spot, we’re going with Lewis for a few reasons.

Despite some being scared off by his height (5′ 10”), Lewis plays much bigger than that.  He shadows receivers and does an excellent job of using every bit of his 34.5″ vertical to deflect incoming passes.  Lewis held opposing receivers to just 7 receptions this season as quarterbacks completed only 23% of passes in his direction.

More than just a cover man, Lewis is a highly competitive, physical defender who won’t back down against a running back coming around the edge and had great success at a college powerhouse under Jim Harbaugh.

Back-up plans: UCLA CB Fabian Moreau is another option if the Jets aren’t smitten by Lewis.

Round 3 (#107 overall, compensatory pick):  QB Nathan Peterman, Pittsburgh

Staying with the assumption that Trubisky goes to Cleveland and it’s Lewis in rd. 2, the Jets still must address the QB position.

Peterman threw 47 TD’s to 17 interceptions over the course of his final two college seasons while completing just over 60% of his passes.  He also displayed adequate mobility in that time, picking up 525 rushing yards to go along with 5 TD’s on the ground.

Back up plans: University of South Florida running back Marlon Mack would be good value in this spot and has been scouted both during the season and in pre-draft workouts by the Jets.  Clemson Tight End Jordan Leggett is also worth a look if the earlier projection of Howard doesn’t happen.

IMG_7494-300x279.jpg

Waving goodbye? Sheldon Richardson is a likely trade candidate come draft day.

As mentioned above, projecting trades accurately is nearly impossible, but it has been widely speculated that the Jets will in fact look to part ways with Sheldon Richardson next week.  To keep the projection realistic, we’ll assume the rumors of Richardson’s current trade value (said to be a 4th round pick) are accurate, and project him to the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for the 121st pick as he’ll likely go somewhere in that range.

The Colts have been bad on defense for an eternity at this point, and they have the requisite cap space to get Richardson locked up on a long-term deal.  Other targets could be the Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos or Tampa Bay Bucs.

Round 4 (#121 overall from Indy): WR Chris Godwin, Penn State

After veteran Eric Decker, the Jets have the emerging Qunicy Enunwa and a pair of promising receivers who the team hopes will take the next step in Robby Anderson, Charone Peake with question marks Devin Smith and Jalin Marshall behind them.  Even still, with no rock solid established options, a player like Godwin would be an excellent choice here.

Godwin has plenty of speed (4.42 40 time) and will win his fair share of jump balls in one-on-one battles or in a crowd.  He just knows how to get the ball.

In addition, Godwin has repeatedly shown great spatial awareness, often slamming on the brakes to make a circus catch just before hitting the boundary.

IMG_1171-1-1-300x220.jpg

Godwin would be a welcome addition for his former college quarterback, Christian Hackenberg.

Back up plans:  North Carolina WR Ryan Switzer would be an ideal choice here as well, but we’re going with Godwin based on the Jets showing more interest in the Penn State product.  Given his punt return ability, Switzer may actually be the better option.

Round 5 (#150 overall): RB James Conner, Pittsburgh

With Bilal Powell and Matt Forte as their top two running backs, the Jets are missing a smash-mouth runner who can be a workhorse down the road and a threat on the goal line and in short yardage situations.

Checking in at 6′ 1” 233 lbs, Conner represents all of those things.

Conner had a 2014 season that left many wondering how many records would fall during his time at Pittsburgh when he rushed for 1,765 yards and 26 touchdowns as a sophomore.  After missing all but a few snaps the following year due to injury, Conner was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma and beat that before a final season that saw him rumble for 1,092 yards and 16 more scores.

Back up plans: A history of injuries could lead Florida linebacker Alex Anzalone to fall this far in the draft and he’d be worth a gamble in this spot.  Brian Allen of Utah would also be well worth the pick here.

Round 6 (#188 overall): OLB Matt Milano, Boston College

Milano is an intense competitor who plays to the whistle and gives you everything he’s got.  Slightly undersized at 6′ 223, he’ll likely be expected to add some weight and could be a contributor on special teams right away.

Back up plans: The Jets could use some competition for the backup inside linebacker spot behind David Harris. Clemson’s Ben Boulware would be a good candidate.

Round 6 (#191 overall) WR Amba Etta-Tawo, Syracuse

Another developmental player, Etta-Tawo burst on to the scene this season at Syracuse after two nondescript years at Maryland.  After posting fewer than 500 yards in two seasons with Maryland, Etta-Tawo caught 94 passes for 1,482 yards and 14 touchdowns for ‘Cuse last season.

Back up plans: Hard to believe he may still be available in this spot, but if he is, you could do a lot worse than Chad Kelly as another quarterback here.  Kelly shredded many of the top defenses in the country during his time at Ole’ Miss and has a cannon for an arm with NFL pedigree.  If he gets his head on straight, this is a steal in the sixth round.

Round 7 (#224 overall): USC NT Stevie Tu’ikolovatu

The nephew of former Jets defensive lineman Sione Pouha, Tu’ikolovatu could compete for a roster spot as a true nose tackle, something the defense is lacking right now.

Back up plans: OLB Tashawn Bowser out of LSU would give the Jets another edge rusher to work with over time in hopes of becoming a situational pass rusher at the very least.

So to recap:

1- Alabama TE OJ Howard

2- Houston LB Tyus Bowser

2a- Indiana OG Dan Feeney

3- Michigan CB Jordan Lewis

3a- Pittsburgh QB Nathan Peterman

4- Penn State WR Chris Godwin

5- Pittsburgh RB James Conner

6- Boston College OLB Matt Milano

6a- Syracuse WR Amba Etta-Tawo

7- USC NT Stevie Tu’ikolovatu

Only six days remaining Jets fans….six days!!

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Qeyf4GBomSk

Click here to read the full story...

Started writing this a few days ago and since then there have been some rumors of a Jets/Browns swap of first rounders, but some people seem to be expecting to get Cleveland's other first rounder.

Trade value chart I found would make it (roughly) #52 and #188.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Started writing this a few days ago and since then there have been some rumors of a Jets/Browns swap of first rounders, but some people seem to be expecting to get Cleveland's other first rounder.

Trade value chart I found would make it (roughly) #52 and #188.

no Safety? 2 WR - one of which wont see the field, a G who wont see the field ditto QB and OLB...i'll pass on this prediction.

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

no Safety? 2 WR - one of which wont see the field, a G who wont see the field ditto QB and OLB...i'll pass on this prediction.

One of the 2 WR's is a developmental pick in the late rounds and the G is probably a better C than Johnson.

Our QB's are atrocious...Peterman could end up being the starter at some point during the season.

You're right about safety.  I had a million different versions of this and many of them included either Hooker or Johnson out of BC....either of which would be very good picks IMO.

As a practical matter, I think the more likely pick at 12 would be Gareon Conley. I like the thought of getting the edge rusher with the second pick, but hate the idea of drafting a guard in Round Two and trying to make him into a center. I also feel like there will be better prospects at CB and RB where you selected Lewis and Conner. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As a practical matter, I think the more likely pick at 12 would be Gareon Conley. I like the thought of getting the edge rusher with the second pick, but hate the idea of drafting a guard in Round Two and trying to make him into a center. I also feel like there will be better prospects at CB and RB where you selected Lewis and Conner. 

I had Conley in that spot for a bit, but decided they'll want a game changing tight end as an outlet for whichever young QB ends up getting a good chunk of snaps this season.

I don't think it'll be that tough to get Feeney to play center.  He said Indiana worked him there a little bit in practice as an emergency option and he felt comfortable with it.

I'm a huge Lewis fan, more than most I'm sure, and I'm hoping his physicality and man-to-man skills will make him more desirable to Bowles.

Not sure how many better RB's there will be in the fifth round.  I was going to project Marlon Mack to them in that spot but seeing tons of mocks with him going in rd 3 or 4.

2 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I'm the biggest Tyus Bowser hater on this forum and I doubt Godwin lasts until the 4th, but overall I like the draft 

Of all the picks, Bowser was my least favorite, but knowing how good he is with so little experience and insanely athletic, I think the Jets may take him there.

I actually agree on Godwin but threw him in there because I've seen a couple of mocks that have him falling.  I'd actually prefer Switzer b/c of his PR ability and I hope he's the pick if Godwin is gone.

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think they believe Wesley can be the long term guy. He needs to get stronger. But I don't seem them addressing this early in the draft.

Great job with this @AFJF.

They really need to go offense in round one all things being equal. It would take a lot of getting used to seeing a tight end being a focal point, but it is exciting. Now that forward pass is really starting to catch on in the league.

Trading down to land Howard at 12 and then a very solid Guard at 58 is a steal. Would sign up for that right now. 

Godwin won't last to the 4th and as a PSU fan I am very conflicted on him. He always seemed like more of a vertical threat and only became a better possession guy very late last year, but I am on board with him if he drops. More likely we will be able to snag a Dede Westbrook (John Ross clone). Kid would be a great little slot guy for Hack to dump the ball off to and watch him run for 70 yards. I'm also a fan of  Josh reynolds who reminds me of a more stronger version of Robbie Anderson. Kid was ignored by most major colleges coming out of high school and had to earn everything he has gotten. 

Love Connor. He isn't fast enough to get too much attention, but he will be a productive NFL back for whoever drafts him. Think poor man's Eddie George. He won't break many long runs. But is a better pass catcher than most give him credit for. 

Also like the Peterman pick. Has that Kirk Cousins feel. A perfect supplemental draft pick and a guy that will likely mean the end of Petty. 

Outside of Howard, this reads like a recipe for "how to take unnecessary risks"... and list of unlikely picks follow.

A guard in the 2nd? Goodwin lasting 2 rounds later than he will? Mac risking his job on another mid round project QB?

I appreciate Glenn's effort, but I think he needs to dig deeper. Do more than just read draft buzz headlines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn i know he's a good player and all but Jets drafting a TE in rd 1 that player will be a bust.

They've done it 5 times by the way, each turned out worse than the last. 

This time, they don't even have a quarterback to justify the selection of weaponz. 

OJ Howard might have a great career somewhere else and someone will say Hey bitonti you suck we should have had Oj howard 

to that I say "screw you." make no mistake this player would be Johnny Mitchell if he came here. All first round TEs will bust if they go to the Jets. 

It's part of the deal Namath signed with Satan. 

if they do trade down to 12 it should be for Mahomes or Watson or Webb or whoever these guys think is the best QB on the board. give this team a chance, please. Give us something to hope for while you lose every game at least. Nathan Peterman is cold comfort. Interesting but doubt that he's a starter.

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Damn i know he's a good player and all but Jets drafting a TE in rd 1 that player will be a bust.

They've done it 5 times by the way, each turned out worse than the last. 

This time, they don't even have a quarterback to justify the selection of weaponz. 

OJ Howard might have a great career somewhere else and someone will say Hey bitonti you suck we should have had Oj howard 

to that I say "screw you." make no mistake this player would be Johnny Mitchell if he came here. All first round TEs will bust if they go to the Jets. 

It's part of the deal Namath signed with Satan. 

if they do trade down to 12 it should be for Mahomes or Watson or Webb or whoever these guys think is the best QB on the board. give this team a chance, please. Give us something to hope for while you lose every game at least. Nathan Peterman is cold comfort. Interesting but doubt that he's a starter.

I think somebody is gonna' trade up and take Mahomes before 12.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

I think somebody is gonna' trade up and take Mahomes before 12.

If that happens so be it. Webb seems to be rising faster than Mahomes at this point. 13 to AZ  feels like Mahomes natural ceiling. I also wouldn't rule out the Jets trading with Houston (Mac's old team) or Arizona (Bowles' old team) both seem really hot on Mahomes.

But the Jets need a QB worse than anyone I don't want the extra picks. 

54 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Outside of Howard, this reads like a recipe for "how to take unnecessary risks"... and list of unlikely picks follow.

A guard in the 2nd? Goodwin lasting 2 rounds later than he will? Mac risking his job on another mid round project QB?

I appreciate Glenn's effort, but I think he needs to dig deeper. Do more than just read draft buzz headlines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the critique, but this is the opposite of being based on draft buzz.  These are predominantly players whom the Jets scouted during the season, then watched/interviewed at the Senior Bowl/Combine/Pro days.

As I said in the mock, I'm projecting Godwin over Switzer because they had Godwin in for a workout and while I do think it's unlikely he's there in this spot, this is a deep draft that will see some players fall.  If Godwin is one of them, I think the Jets take him.  If he goes earlier than that, I hope they grab Switzer.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If that happens so be it. Webb seems to be rising faster than Mahomes at this point. 13 to AZ  feels like Mahomes natural ceiling. I also wouldn't rule out the Jets trading with Houston (Mac's old team) or Arizona (Bowles' old team) both seem really hot on Mahomes.

But the Jets need a QB worse than anyone I don't want the extra picks. 

Not crazy about the idea of 3 QB's who played in video game offenses in college, but I could see it happening if they grab a QB.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Not crazy about the idea of 3 QB's who played in video game offenses in college, but I could see it happening if they grab a QB.

yeah they all play in video game offenses, except for Peterman actually. 

If they are going to be bad this year then go for the most upside that's my opinion. 

22 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

This would be a most disappointing draft, nice effort, but this would end up looking like Idziks 12 player bust draft IMO.

I respect your opinion, but Idzik's 12 picks led to one dynamic player (Enunwa) and a JAG (Pryor)...that's it.

I'm pretty comfortable saying Howard, Feeney, Lewis and Godman/Switzer will be starters for some time in the league..

We'll see.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

yeah they all play in video game offenses, except for Peterman actually. 

If they are going to be bad this year then go for the most upside that's my opinion. 

That's exactly why I like Peterman, but if they went with any QB other than Watson in the first round I'd be fine with that.

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

One of the 2 WR's is a developmental pick in the late rounds and the G is probably a better C than Johnson.

Our QB's are atrocious...Peterman could end up being the starter at some point during the season.

You're right about safety.  I had a million different versions of this and many of them included either Hooker or Johnson out of BC....either of which would be very good picks IMO.

No QB picks before the 5th round. and no they are not atrocious just young and unproven big diff.

Johnson didnt do too bad last season against good defences so no on a G conversion to a C...not opposed to picking up Toth though in 5th round or later for development

No Safety and a smurfff CB that runs 4.54...no thanks

If this ended up being draft I would be 1st to call for Macc head and I like Macc.

Just now, SickJetFan said:

No QB picks before the 5th round. and no they are not atrocious just young and unproven big diff.

Johnson didnt do too bad last season against good defences so no on a G conversion to a C...not opposed to picking up Toth though in 5th round or later for development

No Safety and a smurfff CB that runs 4.54...no thanks

If this ended up being draft I would be 1st to call for Macc head and I like Macc.

Until they prove otherwise, they're atrocious.

One guy threw 2 TD's to 7 INTs and the other guy couldn't complete 40% of his passes against 4th string scrubs and wasn't able to throw a spiral.

15 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Thanks for the critique, but this is the opposite of being based on draft buzz.  These are predominantly players whom the Jets scouted during the season, then watched/interviewed at the Senior Bowl/Combine/Pro days.

As I said in the mock, I'm projecting Godwin over Switzer because they had Godwin in for a workout and while I do think it's unlikely he's there in this spot, this is a deep draft that will see some players fall.  If Godwin is one of them, I think the Jets take him.  If he goes earlier than that, I hope they grab Switzer.

I don't have numbers in front of me, but the Jets' draft picks have not been correlated with interest (assumed or factual). If I'm not mistaken, Lee's was a secret until after the draft last year... I'm just saying the tea leaves aren't necessarily a magic 8-ball. 

Beyond that, Macc so far seems to favor big programs early in drafts and Bowser will not be the top pass rusher on the board -- i'm not even sure he's built to more than 4-3 OLB to be honest. Goodwin has 2nd round buzz, 4th round just seems to be reaching IMO. but OK... Taking a guard over a tackle with our roster just doesn't jive... you picked a athletically limited (albeit great guy) RB... i mean, is it 2014 all over again? 

And above all -- Macc's not a proven GM. He's on a 3-strikes and you're out contract -- and thus far he's first two swings were Petty and Hackenberg... he's not spending any more cheddar at the postion unless he's going for broke. I can promise you that, just like you can promise me you're going to make sure your mortgage is paid this month. 

Overall, like i said, it was good effort, it just does't jive with an agenda IMO... Macc has to have a clear agenda in this draft, not some aimless BPA chasing unicorn game. 

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Until they prove otherwise, they're atrocious.

One guy threw 2 TD's to 7 INTs and the other guy couldn't complete 40% of his passes against 4th string scrubs and wasn't able to throw a spiral.

he was also neglected any coaching and reps - played for a team that gave up weeks before behind a patchwork line.

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

he was also neglected any coaching and reps - played for a team that gave up weeks before behind a patchwork line.

He didn't do anything that should make a GM turn his back on an upgrade at the position.

Idzik passed on Derek Carr bc he just had to see more Geno Smith.

Id rather they didn't make that mistake again.

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Would you bet your job on Peterman making starts AND performing well? I'm being dead serious - would you bet your monthly source of income on it? 

Just now, AFJF said:

I respect your opinion, but Idzik's 12 picks led to one dynamic player (Enunwa) and a JAG (Pryor)...that's it.

I'm pretty comfortable saying Howard, Feeney, Lewis and Godman/Switzer will be starters for some time in the league..

We'll see.

Howard would toil around the Jets for 4 years showing flashes, but never really making a difference, then sign elsewhere, and become a stud with a team that has a real QB, and offensive system.

Enunwa has proven to actually be a play maker, I don't see 1 play maker in your mock, yes maybe Feeney turns into a long term starter, but he is no Mangold trust me.

Godwin will be a bust bank on it, Switzer I like, but I don't see the fit with the Jets offense as currently created.

Bowser will be another 2nd round JAG that doesn't reach potential, a potential that is projected off of a few college games against real sh*ttty players, he needs some serious developing IMO.

Last, but not least Peterman is a nice projected backup QB, he will be nothing more.

The Jets NEED to walk away with a day 1 starting FS, which can be had in rounds 1, 2, or even early in the 3rd they have to identify that player, and hit IMO.

Jets NEED to land one of the top RB's in rounds 2, or 3 there are far to many really good ones in this draft to not.

CB in the 2nd round in a trade back scenario is also a must, 1st round talent will be available early in the 2nd round this year.  BUT I would run as fast as I can away from drafting any of the guys projected to go in the early 1st.

If you want your Edge rusher you identify him in the 1st round and, grab him at 12, follow it up with CB, and FS/RB in 2nd round, then 3rd round FS/RB, and TE, the strength of this draft is its 2nd round CB's, 2nd, and 3rd round Safties, 2nd, and 3rd round TE's, and 2nd, and 3rd round RB's these are all positions of need for the Jets, and they should walk away with a CB, S, RB, TE with their 2nd, and 3rd round picks in the trade back scenario IMO, and I'd probably do it in that order.

As far as the 1st round at 12, I'd be fine with a Edge Rusher, WR, McAfferey, Adams, or Hooker if they somehow fell very unlikely, or the wild card QB Pat Mahomes, I used to be very high on Cook, but IMO he is more toxic then his worth on the field.  At 12 an ILB like Foster would have me feeling mixed, and wouldn't make me very happy initially, but I'd hold judgement until I got to see production because if he turns out to be a Kuechly then you hit a HR, but there are very few Kuechly's to come along.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He didn't do anything that should make a GM turn his back on an upgrade at the position.

Idzik passed on Derek Carr bc he just had to see more Geno Smith.

Id rather they didn't make that mistake again.

we will see this summer wont we.

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Would you bet your job on Peterman making starts AND performing well? I'm being dead serious - would you bet your monthly source of income on it? 

I don't think anyone would do that on any of the QB's in this draft, but I'd feel comfortable in knowing that he has some experience in a big boy offense, has good mobility and protects the ball.

I'm in the "keep drafting one 'til you have one" camp.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Howard would toil around the Jets for 4 years showing flashes, but never really making a difference, then sign elsewhere, and become a stud with a team that has a real QB, and offensive system.

Enunwa has proven to actually be a play maker, I don't see 1 play maker in your mock, yes maybe Feeney turns into a long term starter, but he is no Mangold trust me.

Godwin will be a bust bank on it, Switzer I like, but I don't see the fit with the Jets offense as currently created.

Bowser will be another 2nd round JAG that doesn't reach potential, a potential that is projected off of a few college games against real sh*ttty players, he needs some serious developing IMO.

Last, but not least Peterman is a nice projected backup QB, he will be nothing more.

The Jets NEED to walk away with a day 1 starting FS, which can be had in rounds 1, 2, or even early in the 3rd they have to identify that player, and hit IMO.

Jets NEED to land one of the top RB's in rounds 2, or 3 there are far to many really good ones in this draft to not.

CB in the 2nd round in a trade back scenario is also a must, 1st round talent will be available early in the 2nd round this year.  BUT I would run as fast as I can away from drafting any of the guys projected to go in the early 1st.

If you want your Edge rusher you identify him in the 1st round and, grab him at 12, follow it up with CB, and FS/RB in 2nd round, then 3rd round FS/RB, and TE, the strength of this draft is its 2nd round CB's, 2nd, and 3rd round Safties, 2nd, and 3rd round TE's, and 2nd, and 3rd round RB's these are all positions of need for the Jets, and they should walk away with a CB, S, RB, TE with their 2nd, and 3rd round picks in the trade back scenario IMO, and I'd probably do it in that order.

As far as the 1st round at 12, I'd be fine with a Edge Rusher, WR, McAfferey, Adams, or Hooker if they somehow fell very unlikely, or the wild card QB Pat Mahomes, I used to be very high on Cook, but IMO he is more toxic then his worth on the field.  At 12 an ILB like Foster would have me feeling mixed, and wouldn't make me very happy initially, but I'd hold judgement until I got to see production because if he turns out to be a Kuechly then you hit a HR, but there are very few Kuechly's to come along.

None of us knows if any of this true.  We're guessing.

In a few years, we'll know who was right, but we probably won't care because we'll be busy talking about the new coach and GM.

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

we will see this summer wont we.

We will, and I hope like hell that Hack has spent the last few months learning how to throw a football.

If he has, he might be the guy, and that would be awesome.

Just now, AFJF said:

We will, and I hope like hell that Hack has spent the last few months learning how to throw a football.

If he has, he might be the guy, and that would be awesome.

ok so redo your draft.....give it another try.....you missed too many really good players.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I don't think anyone would do that on any of the QB's in this draft 

I'm in the "keep drafting one 'til you have one" camp. 

In bold -- is you wearing your GM cap. 

In underline - is you wearing your baseball cap.

All the teams associated with a QB this year are new regimes with lots of leash, and older teams with established starters. Why would Macc risk his job by taking a possibly 3rd project QB? Not happening man. He's either going to buckle under the pressure and take Trubisky/Watson -- or wait next year and take a swing in round 1. 

He simply does not have another "mid round project QB" worth of leash on his job. 

Archived