JetNation Mock Draft v2.0, Trubisky or Trade Down

JetNation

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

We will, and I hope like hell that Hack has spent the last few months learning how to throw a football.

If he has, he might be the guy, and that would be awesome.

To take this even one step further -- lets say he takes Peterman, and he predictably does nothing this year or looks raw as f*ck..

Would you want/allow/permit him yet ANOTHER chance next year to spend our 1st round pick (and more if we have to trade) to take a QB? He's shown your 3 times that he's not hitting the mark. 

Why on earth would you allow him to bet the farm next year? 

these are all reasons why you're not going to see a QB's name called unless it happens at 6... (in which case, say a hail mary for him)

9 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

ok so redo your draft.....give it another try.....you missed too many really good players.

I might actually do another one the night before the draft if there are enough rumblings about players rising/falling and/or trades.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I might actually do another one the night before the draft if there are enough rumblings about players rising/falling and/or trades.

Good idea, last year if you dug around enough the last 2-3 days before the draft you could read between the lines that the Jets loved Hack, I posted about it before they picked him either the day before RD 1, or after Rd 1, before Rd 2, I will look back in my post archives, and see if I can dig it up.  

I also thought the Jets were going to take Keanu Neal in the 1st round after digging through the last minute stuff that is actually real leaked info not media click bait nonsense, but the Falcons surprised, and picked him before the Jets could.

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

To take this even one step further -- lets say he takes Peterman, and he predictably does nothing this year or looks raw as f*ck..

Would you want/allow/permit him yet ANOTHER chance next year to spend our 1st round pick (and more if we have to trade) to take a QB? He's shown your 3 times that he's not hitting the mark. 

these are all reasons why you're not going to see a QB's name called unless it happens at 6... (in which case, say a hail mary for him)

It all depends on how all of his previous picks look in terms of the big picture.

Yes, quarterback is the most important position on the field, nobody in their right mind will deny that.

However, if guys like Leo, Burris, Shell, Simon, Jenkins and a few others continue to trend upward and show progress, that means he's infinitely better than any GM this team has had in decades.  Being able to find multiple quality starters in every draft does count for something.

Woody Johnson knows better than any owner in the league that it's not easy to find a QB.  It's entirely possible that Mac told him when he was hired that they'd take QB seriously and acquire one every season until they get one.  So far he has done that, and the team has scouted/interviewed just about every QB in the draft and said publicly they may take one.  Entirely possible it's a smoke screen to get somebody to trade up, but given what's currently on the roster, not out of the question.

As far as the pick next year, with many saying there are legitimately three starting caliber QB's, I'd be fine letting him grab another one IF, as I said earlier, he finds multiple quality players every year.

If it's a QB at 6, I just hope it's not Watson.

Just now, AFJF said:

Think day 1 starters and at least contributors (other than STs)

@TE, @S, @Nickel, @RB (bruiser type), @OLB (must be able to drop and cover and be miles better than current group (watt can cover TE)

and 2nd tier @Mike, @C, @T, @CB (must be upgrade over Burris, Roberts, and Skrine)

3rd Tier @WR (unless he is a steal), @QB (ignore the calls to skip the current roster for greener pasture that will most likely fail and probably never see the field before another QB taken in 2018 wasting valuable draft pick)

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It all depends on how all of his previous picks look in terms of the big picture.

Yes, quarterback is the most important position on the field, nobody in their right mind will deny that.

However, if guys like Leo, Burris, Shell, Simon, Jenkins and a few others continue to trend upward and show progress, that means he's infinitely better than any GM this team has had in decades.  Being able to find multiple quality starters in every draft does count for something.

Woody Johnson knows better than any owner in the league that it's not easy to find a QB.  It's entirely possible that Mac told him when he was hired that they'd take QB seriously and acquire one every season until they get one.  So far he has done that, and the team has scouted/interviewed just about every QB in the draft and said publicly they may take one.  Entirely possible it's a smoke screen to get somebody to trade up, but given what's currently on the roster, not out of the question.

As far as the pick next year, with many saying there are legitimately three starting caliber QB's, I'd be fine letting him grab another one IF, as I said earlier, he finds multiple quality players every year.

If it's a QB at 6, I just hope it's not Watson.

Of course. If the majority of his players came on like a hurricane this year, then he'd probably be given a mulligan at QB and be allowed to go all in... 

But...

That means he's leaving his fate up to the development of his players (Devin Smith incld) all for what? to take a stab at Peterman?... He's going to stake his job and future on the cross threading of development -- ALL just to take another swing at QB?... not a good enough bet. not when Mauldin and Jenkins are mercurial performers, Smith is a ghost, hackenberg is potentially never going to play...  Burris & Leo gonna save Macc? Shell and Lee better be lights out. 

There's a lot less pressure IMO by obstaining to address QB and building out the roster. Swap out Peterman for Josh Jones, or a joker TE. Or a better back whom could legitimately become a 3down running back like Hunt.

I'm just making conversation -- and trying to point out there's a lot at stake when you bring "QB" into the fold anywhere before round 5

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Of course. If the majority of his players came on like a hurricane this year, then he'd probably be given a mulligan at QB and be allowed to go all in... 

But...

That means he's leaving his fate up to the development of his players (Devin Smith incld) all for what? to take a stab at Peterman?... He's going to stake his job and future on the cross threading of development -- ALL just to take another swing at QB?... not a good enough bet. not when Mauldin and Jenkins are mercurial performers, Smith is a ghost, hackenberg is potentially never going to play...  Burris & Leo gonna save Macc? Shell and Lee better be lights out. 

There's a lot less pressure IMO by obstaining to address QB and building out the roster. Swap out Peterman for Josh Jones, or a joker TE. Or a better back whom could legitimately become a 3down running back like Hunt.

I'm just making conversation -- and trying to point out there's a lot at stake when you bring "QB" into the fold anywhere before round 5

All fair points, but I don't think Mac's seat is as warm as a lot of people are saying.  John Idzik needed 19 picks to get as many good players as Mac did with half that.  If he keeps bringing in quality players, he'll outlast Bowles.

You could be right and all the QB scouting/interviews/visits and quotes could be a tactic to get somebody to trade up.  Hell, they're actually in a position to trade down twice.  If they go to 12 with Cleveland so they can get Trubisky, some team who likes Mahomes might trade up to 12 to leapfrog the Cardinals who a lot of people think would like to have.

I just looked at it with a feeling that if the first round QB stuff really is a smoke screen and Petty and Hack as raw as they are, what QB has some experience in a pro offense and doesn't turn the ball over?  The answer was Peterman, and the Jets did send scouts to Pitt this year and took the time to interview him at senior bowl or pro day, I forget which one.

Believe me, the amount of time I spent on this meant tons of swapping in and out of players.  Every time I looked at Bowser I wanted to switch him out, but the guy can get to the QB and cover on a level you wouldn't expect from a player with so little experience.  I've literally seen him mocked as high as the Saints in round 1, all the way to the bottom of round 3.  People are all over the map with him.

If I'm being 100% honest, once I finished/published it, I looked at the list of players and said "meh".

On 4/27/2016 at 2:43 PM, Lupz27 said:

Stay at 20 and draft a speed LB, or Safety hybrid.

Trade Mo Friday morning for picks including at least 1 early 2nd  rounder, and draft an OT.

Draft Hackenberg with another 2nd rd pick.

This is what I THINK they will do, not saying it's what I would, or want to do.

On 4/26/2016 at 8:43 PM, Lupz27 said:

I'm starting to get the feel the Jets will go all in on Hackenberg in the 2nd round, whether it's trade WilK for a 2nd, move up, or stay put and take him if they feel he will be there.

On 4/25/2016 at 11:54 PM, Lupz27 said:

You trade him to Tennessee for their first 2nd rounder draft Dodd in 1st, Spriggs with the acquired pick and you just grabbed 2 great athletic talents at 2 of your biggest needs, and then draft Hackenberg with your other 2nd (I don't like him, but it seems he is the top choice for the Jets brass from all the reports, and reading between the lines in the last week).

IF Mac thinks Hack is the man, and you walk away with Dodd, and Spriggs also then I can swallow losing Mo.

On 4/21/2016 at 10:42 AM, Lupz27 said:

The only whispers coming out of Flo Pa is that the Jets like Hackenberg  (I don't, but the whispers are the Jets do).  Not much info leaked from Flo Pa so who knows of its true, or not. 

37 minutes ago, AFJF said:

29 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Good idea, last year if you dug around enough the last 2-3 days before the draft you could read between the lines that the Jets loved Hack, I posted about it before they picked him either the day before RD 1, or after Rd 1, before Rd 2, I will look back in my post archives, and see if I can dig it up.  

I also thought the Jets were going to take Keanu Neal in the 1st round after digging through the last minute stuff that is actually real leaked info not media click bait nonsense, but the Falcons surprised, and picked him before the Jets could.

Found a few of my posts from last year from the few days before the draft, and during the draft.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Peterman was the pick I liked the most here, but your point holds--why should we have any confidence in this staff to pick another QB? 

For comparison's sake, here's SI's Chad Reuter's seven round Jets thing, which seems to use Glen's logic of drafting players they've shown interest in. This one is more likely, imo. Still depressing, but likely.

Round 1 (6) Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
Round 2 (39) Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri
Round 3 (70) Chris Godwin, WR, Penn State
Round 3 (107) Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State
Round 5 (150) Jarron Jones, DT, Notre Dame
Round 6 (191) Tarik Cohen, RB, North Carolina A&T
Round 7 (224) Cam Keizur, C, Portland State

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

For comparison's sake, here's SI's Chad Reuter's seven round Jets thing, which seems to use Glen's logic of drafting players they've shown interest in. This one is more likely, imo. Still depressing, but likely.

Round 1 (6) Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
Round 2 (39) Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri
Round 3 (70) Chris Godwin, WR, Penn State
Round 3 (107) Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State
Round 5 (150) Jarron Jones, DT, Notre Dame
Round 6 (191) Tarik Cohen, RB, North Carolina A&T
Round 7 (224) Cam Keizur, C, Portland State

Harris is the only pick I'd be ok with in that mock.

I'd love to take a 1 and 2 from Cleveland for the #6 pick, especially from Cleveland. It  would not be a smart move by Cleveland though. All of the players worth trading up for will be gone by #6. This is also a very deep draft with potential starters going all the way in the seventh round. Teams would be crazy to trade up to #6. Then again, Cleveland is not the smartest of organizations, but still, I don't think they'd do it.

33 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Harris is the only pick I'd be ok with in that mock.

harris won't be there in the 2nd, and i don't see the jets using 3 of the top 4 picks on defense (again).  there's also no qb, safety and TE, which is highely unlikely IMO.  

i can see conley as the pick but not at 6, i can't see conley as the 6th best player on the jets board.  i can see them taking him if they trade back.

4 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

I'd love to take a 1 and 2 from Cleveland for the #6 pick, especially from Cleveland. It  would not be a smart move by Cleveland though. All of the players worth trading up for will be gone by #6. This is also a very deep draft with potential starters going all the way in the seventh round. Teams would be crazy to trade up to #6. Then again, Cleveland is not the smartest of organizations, but still, I don't think they'd do it.

I'd love to trade with Cleveland also, and pray McCafferey is still on the board, and snake the Colts 2nd Rd pick away from them so they can move up a few spots to take him giving the Jets 3 2nd round picks including the first pick of the round.

Grab Mahomes in 1st, K King, R Foster, and J Mixon in the 2nd, roster reload.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Fixed

I'd be interested in drafting Mahomes if I thought we had the coaching in place to take advantage of his talent, but we really don't. And while I get the intrigue behind getting Mixon in the third or so, the only thing you'd see on TV for three weeks is the punch video with a Jets logo scrolling across the bottom of the screen on every newscast in the market. It's one thing for the football fan community to exonerate Mixon, but it enters an entirely new realm of sh*t when he gets drafted and every mainstream outlet in the tri-state gets their hands on the story.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I'd be interested in drafting Mahomes if I thought we had the coaching in place to take advantage of his talent, but we really don't. And while I get the intrigue behind getting Mixon in the third or so, the only thing you'd see on TV for three weeks is the punch video with a Jets logo scrolling across the bottom of the screen on every newscast in the market. It's one thing for the football fan community to exonerate Mixon, but it enters an entirely new realm of sh*t when he gets drafted and every mainstream outlet in the tri-state gets their hands on the story.

**** the main stream media, it's been 3 years since the incident, and dude is a Leveon Bell clone, as for Mahomes I think Morton, and Bates can actually design an offense around this kid, he was going to hire Bates to be his QB trainer to prepare him for the draft before Bates was in on the Jets QB coach job, and Morton I have hope for being able to take what Payton did with Bree's, and design an offense with Mahomes that is successful, and not some sh*tty offense that wants a QB to do X even thou it's not his strength.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

**** the main stream media, it's been 3 years since the incident, and dude is a Leveon Bell clone, as for Mahomes I think Morton, and Bates can actually design an offense around this kid, he was going to hire Bates to be his QB trainer to prepare him for the draft before Bates was in on the Jets QB coach job, and Morton I have hope for being able to take what Payton did with Bree's, and design an offense with Mahomes that is successful, and not some sh*tty offense that wants a QB to do X even thou it's not his strength.

The incident was three years old, but the video is new and it'll get a whole lot newer in whatever market drafts Mixon. The Jets are an easy target as it is and they don't need that kind of self-inflicted nonsense, especially for a running back. It's going to be a bad year and adding the Mixon story to it would be not good.

As for Morton and Bates, one of them was a receivers coach and the other guy has been out of the league for three years. They likely have one season to produce results or they're getting swept out with Bowles. They're going to use that year to try and install a Texas Tech offense here?

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

The Platonic ideal of a JN post

From this draft, the Jets need at least one TE, at least one S and at least one CB.   They should try and get doubles in at least 2 of those positions.  That is how bad their roster is in those spots.  The Jets should be looking at 2018 and beyond as well-just because we can't cut Skrine this year does not mean he is on the team next year.

Believe it or not, there may be the talent and depth in this draft to actually be able to accomplish that.  

Given the state of the Jets roster, I don't know why you pick WRs and Gs in this draft when you can basically get 2nd round talent at other positions in the 3rd round.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

From this draft, the Jets need at least one TE, at least one S and at least one CB.   They should try and get doubles in at least 2 of those positions.  That is how bad their roster is in those spots.  The Jets should be looking at 2018 and beyond as well-just because we can't cut Skrine this year does not mean he is on the team next year.

Believe it or not, there may be the talent and depth in this draft to actually be able to accomplish that.  

Given the state of the Jets roster, I don't know why you pick WRs and Gs in this draft when you can basically get 2nd round talent at other positions in the 3rd round.

Just sign Josh Gordon, and forget WR in this draft, draft Mixon, and Rueben Foster put all 3 on the podium for a press conference together and ? 

the bottom line is if they can trade down to a top 15 plus some additional picks they should do it.  they'll still get a very good player at 12 plus they will be able to grab some good prospects in rounds 2-4. imo they need 3 starters out of this draft.  maybe not initially but for sometime during this season.

3 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Any team can only draft so many picks per year as they have to make as many cuts to their roster.  Their roster may already be strong in certain areas too like the jets and DL.   So at some point it gets hard to keep so many picks like Cleveland has.  If Cleveland keeps all their picks I would be watching who they cut in August and try to snatch him up.

33 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the bottom line is if they can trade down to a top 15 plus some additional picks they should do it.  they'll still get a very good player at 12 plus they will be able to grab some good prospects in rounds 2-4. imo they need 3 starters out of this draft.  maybe not initially but for sometime during this season.

In a ideal situation the Jets trade 6 and their 5th to the Browns for 12, 33, and their 4th, then have McCafferey, and/or Barnett sitting there, and have someone like the Colts, or Bucs give you there 2nd rounder to move up to 12 to get him giving the Jets the 15th, or 19th overall pick, 3 2nd rounders, and another early 3rd round pick, and the last pick of the 3rd round, and first pick of the 4th round, 7 picks in the top 109, if they hit on the 1st rounder, and then half of the other 6 it gives the Jets 4 new starters for the future.

Archived