Black Monday 1/1/18

Gen X Jet

Post your predictions here.

I am not buying the Mike and Todd have a long leash business.  This has the makings of an epic New Year's.  The GM hitched his future to a 2nd Round QB who better pay dividends this year.  If he flops, we are back on the Korn/Ferry Charley Casserly train.  

My prediction:

New Year's Eve- Pats while resting all of their starters beat the 3-12 Jets like a drum 44-3.  Mac is fired on Black Monday.  Interim coach John Morton (Todd and Kacey Rodgers were canned at the week 11 bye) is told he is welcome to stick around but the Jets will defer to the new GM on his retention (finally).  Woody flies back from merry old England and hires another retread, Ernie Accorsi to find the next GM.

Mac bought himself numerous years by A) beign named exec of the year and b by having some success later in the draft and fa.

Bowles, if he coaches like last year should be fired the day after the season but he will get more years.

We have this duo for at least two more years imo.  Do I want them?  Probably not but I don;t see a firing.  Bowles has the rebuilding excuse this year.

12 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

I am not buying the Mike and Todd have a long leash business.  This has the makings of an epic New Year's.  The GM hitched his future to a 2nd Round QB who better pay dividends this year.  If he flops, we are back on the Korn/Ferry Charley Casserly train.  

My prediction:

New Year's Eve- Pats while resting all of their starters beat the 3-12 Jets like a drum 44-3.  Mac is fired on Black Monday.  Interim coach John Morton (Todd and Kacey Rodgers were canned at the week 11 bye) is told he is welcome to stick around but the Jets will defer to the new GM on his retention (finally).  Woody flies back from merry old England and hires another retread, Ernie Accorsi to find the next GM.

How can they finish 3-13 when they're going 4-1 to start?

Just now, Jimmy 2 Times said:

How can they finish 3-13 when they're going 4-1 to start?

LOL! All the tank for Sam guys will be losing their sh*t screaming at the TV set, f*ck Leo, stop being a god damned Lion out there! How many QBs are you guys gonna knock out? Talk of the Sack Exchange II start brewing and now they're ringing the opening bell before the Pats game @ 5-0, lmao!

Hey, no one could have  predicted they'd knock Carr out & steal a West Coast win. But..but... "but what about Sam? You idiots! God I hate this team!"

Just now, Jetster said:

LOL! All the tank for Sam guys will be losing their sh*t screaming at the TV set, f*ck Leo, stop being a god damned Lion out there! How many QBs are you guys gonna knock out? Talk of the Sack Exchange II start brewing and now they're ringing the opening bell before the Pats game @ 5-0, lmao!

Hey, no one could have  predicted they'd knock Carr out & steal a West Coast win. But..but... "but what about Sam? You idiots! God I hate this team!"

We'll be happy enough when winning but after the team goes 1-7 the 2nd half of the season and 5 wins, drafting 6th we will be upset...yes indeed

29 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

My prediction:

Why would they fire the staff before a playoff game? Makes no sense to me.

the only way I see Mac getting through this year if he takes a QB this year and even though the team is bad, this young player gets some snaps at some point, even if it's toward the end of the year and that pick gives the franchise hope. 

Hack is going to be bad, Petty is going to get hurt. McCown shouldn't even be on the field.

They aren't going to lose all the games with that group and then bring Mac back to take Darnold. If he couldn't find a QB in three drafts, he wouldn't be someone the franchise should trust to take a QB super high. 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the only way I see Mac getting through this year if he takes a QB this year and even though the team is bad, this young player gets some snaps at some point, even if it's toward the end of the year and that pick gives the franchise hope. 

Hack is going to be bad, Petty is going to get hurt. McCown shouldn't even be on the field.

They aren't going to lose all the games with that group and then bring Mac back to take Darnold. If he couldn't find a QB in three drafts, he wouldn't be someone the franchise should trust to take a QB super high. 

I agree. Given the constant complaints here over Bowles, the real focus will be on Macc. IF Macc does not take an available Trubinsky at 6 and Hack (as I expect) shows nothing, and the Jets have a poor season while Trubinsky shows development elsewhere, then I can see Macc getting fired. Bowles meanwhile gets a pass in a rebuilding year, and Woody and his family try to replace Macc while saying the new GM has to take Bowles.

If on the other hand Trubinsky is drafted and gets in some games and does not crap the bed, Macc will be back in 18.

12 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I agree. Given the constant complaints here over Bowles, the real focus will be on Macc. IF Macc does not take an available Trubinsky at 6 and Hack (as I expect) shows nothing, and the Jets have a poor season while Trubinsky shows development elsewhere, then I can see Macc getting fired. Bowles meanwhile gets a pass in a rebuilding year, and Woody and his family try to replace Macc while saying the new GM has to take Bowles.

If on the other hand Trubinsky is drafted and gets in some games and does not crap the bed, Macc will be back in 18.

the only problem with that is Trubisky seems like a top 3 pick these days. If he gets to 6 it's best of all worlds for Mac he gets value and need. Trubisky at 6 would be an easy situation for Mac

But what happens when Trubisky goes higher and there's no real QB worth the 6. That's where all this trade down stuff comes in. I don't think Mac is brave enough to make a stand and "Reach" for a Mahomes or whoever. 

5 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

My Prediction: I'll be in Atlanta drunker than Cooter Brown getting ready for Bama and USC to play for the National Championship

Well, I just found out the National Championship game is on the 8th....so I won't be drunk in Atlanta

27 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This all sounds super logical, so what will actually happen is that Bowles will get fired and Maccagnan will get a three-year extension.

Unless Mac drafts a QB in the first round, I think his fate is tied to Hackenberg. If Hack is the starter for the majority of the year and craps the bed, proves that he is garbage, and the team has another terrible year, Mac is gone.  Bowles should have been canned after 2016, and if the GM is gone after 2017, he will be too.

And then the subsequent overhaul of the scouting dept, coaching staff, new O & D systems, that probably won't fit the players brought in for this regime and most likely, based on Woody's history, the hiring of 1st time GM & HC, who will need a yr or two to grow into the job, You know, like most people in any industry.. All this speculation and hope by many here based on 1 sh*tty 2016 season...And people wonder why this franchise is always being laughed at...Quite the fanbase.

As much as I despise the current HC, nothing would make me happier than to be proven 100% wrong, the Jets win 10+ games next year and we have a bright future under the Shrimp Boat Captain. Unfortunately I do not believe that will come close to happening. I see this as an epic disaster next season, and if they keep these guys, an investigation should be undertaken to find out if there is any intelligent life whatsoever in Florham Park, NJ.

Just now, Beerfish said:

I'd hate him almost as much as if Bowles was retained.  Most overrated coach in the whole league,

Consider how toxic this job is, has been, and will be, especially if they fire Bowles this year. Consider what this roster will look like to prospective coaches: it'll be a semi-retired Mo Wilkerson, an IR'ed Malik Hooker, and Christian Hackenberg. 

56 minutes ago, slats said:

Maccagnan has behaved this offseason like a guy who doesn't seemed worried about his job security. Just sayin'. 

OK so this is clearly a true statement

but if we look at the league salary cap by laws (yawn) the team has to spend 85% of the floor over the 4 window starting 2017-2021.

The last time this happened in 2013, Idzik cleared the decks. Mac got to spend up Idzik's payoff year pre 2016 with such delightful big budget items as Revis and Fitz. 

perhaps this 2017 offseason was always going to be like Idzik's 2013, regardless of who was in charge.  

Mac is in charge but he doesn't set the budget year to year. 

but he still has to find a QB soon. Ride or die with Hack is just dumb. 

Unless Macc really believes that Trubisky will not be a capable NFL QB (which is what he thought of Lynch last year, and he may be right), he needs to take MT at 6.  From how it looks to me, MT could play NFL QB in 2017.  I don't know whether we can say the same thing about Watson and Mahomes.

Not only is it the right move from a value perspective, it is good strategy.  The poster above hit it right on the head-if Buffalo, Cleveland or someone else picks MT and he shows promise, and Macc passed on him, he will be villified.   I personally would be patient with MT, letting him be a 3 to Hack's 2 initially and let him learn.

Hack was a second round pick, not a first, so he has 3 years left on his rookie contract.  MT would have a 5 year contract with the option year.   And someone still may give the NEP a first round pick for Garopallo, a second round pick.  So basically a team without a QB could potentially have 2, which could give them depth, a tradeable for a premium asset, and a greater chance of actually finding a QB.

I don't see Macc reaching for another QB at 6.  Could see Webb in the second, or Peterman in the third.  

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

OK so this is clearly a true statement

but if we look at the league salary cap by laws (yawn) the team has to spend 85% of the floor over the 4 window starting 2017-2021.

The last time this happened in 2013, Idzik cleared the decks. Mac got to spend up Idzik's payoff year pre 2016 with such delightful big budget items as Revis and Fitz. 

perhaps this 2017 offseason was always going to be like Idzik's 2013, regardless of who was in charge.  

Mac is in charge but he doesn't set the budget year to year. 

but he still has to find a QB soon. Ride or die with Hack is just dumb. 

It looks bad for an NFL team to fire a GM off only 3 seasons after canning Idzik after 2. Makes the Jets look like fools, which is accurate.

But coaches are way easier to fire. And Bowles looks incompetent. That gets you fired and nobody blinks. 

Archived