Draft Prospects that would Start for us from Day 1?

Sarge4Tide

QB - None

RB - Leonard Fournette (Cook and McCaffery would play a lot from day 1)

WR - Mike Williams, Corey Davis, John Ross, Zay Jones, Curtis Samuel, Chris Godwin 

TE - OJ Howard, David Njoku, Evan Engram 

OL - Ryan Ramcyck, Garrett Boles, Cam Robinson , Pat Elfien 

DL - None unless Richardson is traded then Jonathan Allen, Taco Charlton, Malik McDowell, Chris Wormley 

LB - Garrett Myles, Solomon Thomas, Derrick Barnett, Hasson Reddick, Zach Cunningham, Takarist McKinley, Reuben Foster, TJ Watt 

CB - Marshon Lattimore, Gareon Conley, Tradavius White, Kevin King, Marlon Humphrey,  Cordrea Tankersley, Chidobe Awuzie 

S - Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Budda Baker, Jabril Peppers, Obi Melifonwu, Marcus Williams, Marcus Maye, Desmond King 

At first glance-

RB-don't overestimate Powell and Forte other than by what they are paid.  Mixon and Kamarra, and likely others, would start too.

TE-there may be others.  Our two best TEs are suspended.  Butt, others would start too.

OL-that is probably right, but we don't really need any of them except Elfien.  Pocic would start at C too.  That is the position that most drives my desire for more picks/trades-Wes Johnson is fine, but he is FA next year and paid a fair bit this year.  A 3rd round pick gets you a better C for less money for 4 years.  This may drive a 3rd round pick anyway.

DL-For the Jets 3/4, none of these guys, even if SR is traded.

LB-Solomon Thomas is an undersized DE/DT.  Reddick a funny fit with a 3/4.  What about Ryan Anderson?  Jordan Jenkins is a strong side OLB.  The Jets need a rush OLB.

CB-What about the guys from Florida?  There are so many.

S-John Johnson from BC too?  There are so many.

Given this draft and this roster, I am seeing 4 starters, maybe more.

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

QB - None

WR - Mike Williams, Corey Davis, John Ross, Zay Jones, Curtis Samuel, Chris Godwin 

DL - None unless Richardson is traded then Jonathan Allen, Taco Charlton, Malik McDowell, Chris Wormley 

LB - Garrett Myles, Solomon Thomas, Derrick Barnett, Hasson Reddick, Zach Cunningham, Takarist McKinley, Reuben Foster, TJ Watt 

CB - Marshon Lattimore, Gareon Conley, Tradavius White, Kevin King, Marlon Humphrey,  Cordrea Tankersley, Chidobe Awuzie 

S - Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Budda Baker, Jabril Peppers, Obi Melifonwu, Marcus Williams, Marcus Maye, Desmond King 

WR depends on if we cut Decker.  Right now Decker, Enunwa are the starters and no rookie should come in and take their spot. I mean if they did great, but I think if we took Williams or Davis, they would be #3 but Decker would be in the slot (assuming new OC agrees he did very well there) in 3 WR sets.  Unless you think #3 WR is in fact a starter which is fine too. Then the names make more sense, but I wouldn't put Ross, Samuel, Jones or Godwin over Robbie Anderson just yet. Camp battle for sure.

If we took a DL....I kind of almost want to just to see the board drown in its own tears.

Everything else..yes.  Thought I'm not sure Solomon can play LB.  If we got rid of Bowles, sure, we could make him a OLB in name only, and just have him move around the LOS.

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

QB - None

Man you missed so many CB's.

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

That list is exactly why the Jets must find a trading partner for 6, and getting as many picks within first 4 rounds as possible

This rumor about Cleveland has me hopeful.  Makes sense for both teams

Yeah but watch 49ers or Bears take Trubisky and all those plans blow up right in our faces. You are a Jets fan....you already know how this is gonna go.  Just hope the draft gods are gentle.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Lil Woody said:

Yeah but watch 49ers or Bears take Trubisky and all those plans blow up right in our faces. You are a Jets fan....you already know how this is gonna go.  Just hope the draft gods are gentle.

giphy.gif

Yep, could happen.  Then I start praying someone is in love with Watson.  I really want out of 6

39 minutes ago, varjet said:

Remember when Bill Walsh took over the 49ers and they basically in one draft replaced 3/4 if not all of their secondary?  And those were guys who went to the Super Bowl?

That is what this year is for the Jets, plus 2 TEs.

Well sure....but there is this little matter of his 3rd round pick from 2 years prior....we'd need one of those too.

26 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Well sure....but there is this little matter of his 3rd round pick from 2 years prior....we'd need one of those too.

Who is that?  Mauldin?

I am not worried about the OLB THIS YEAR.  I think Kevin Greene is going to work with Jenkins, Mauldin, Lemonier (real football player) and Martin and make them into something better. 

This is where Macc needs to do his job-he needs to grade the players.  If an OLB is better than a S or CB, take him.  

I actually think the Jets can get a starting S and CB in the 3rd Round.

THE JETS NEED MORE PICKS IN THIS DRAFT.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Who is that?  Mauldin?

I am not worried about the OLB THIS YEAR.  I think Kevin Greene is going to work with Jenkins, Mauldin, Lemonier (real football player) and Martin and make them into something better. 

This is where Macc needs to do his job-he needs to grade the players.  If an OLB is better than a S or CB, take him.  

I actually think the Jets can get a starting S and CB in the 3rd Round.

THE JETS NEED MORE PICKS IN THIS DRAFT.

Nah I meant the 49ers.  They drafted Lott, Wright and Williams(?) in 81 but they did get Joe Montana in 79 in rd 3. A large piece of the puzzle we are currently lacking.

Just now, Lil Woody said:

Nah I meant the 49ers.  They drafted Lott, Wright and Williams(?) in 81 but they did get Joe Montana in 79 in rd 3. A large piece of the puzzle we are currently lacking.

Yes.   This is the backwards/Broncos approach.

2 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

Yeah, but they had a genius HC that could turn almost any QB into Joe Montana, any player into pure gold. Another large piece of the puzzle we are currently lacking.

We have Todd Bowlfinger who needs a full roster of vet superstars developed by other coaches to compensate for his suckitude. 

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Both Kizer and Watson would start for us from day 1 at qb

No way!  It's going to be an open competition.  Low man gets cut.   McCown will start a minimum of the first 3-4 games, then give way to whoever his backup is.   Watson at 6 would be a mistake.  Kizer later in the first, Mahomes in the 2nd round, or Peterman in the 3rd, I'd be all in on. 

6 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

No way!  It's going to be an open competition.  Low man gets cut.   McCown will start a minimum of the first 3-4 games, then give way to whoever his backup is.   Watson at 6 would be a mistake.  Sign me up for Kizer later in the first, Mahomes in the 2nd round, or Peterman in the 3rd, I'd be all in on. 

Personally, I think he will be the only one of this years QB's worth a damn in 3-4 years.

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Yeah that's the most ridiculous thing I've read on a while.  McCown/Petty/Hack are so good none of these Qb's would start from day 1?!?! Really!?!???

And what do you know about the guys coming in?  Let's face it most QBs, even first round picks, never pan out, no matter how good they looked in college.  Maybe a rookie set's himself apart at camp and starts after 3-4 games, but the chances of that happening are very small.  That's why I think we need to pick up extra picks and draft 2 QBs.  Then we have 4 young QBs in camp and a veteran, that would improve our odds. 

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Personally, I think he will be the only one of this years QB's worth a damn in 3-4 years.

I would love that pick!  I saw him beat Penn State and Clemson, he's got a chance in the pros.  Watson may have won the national championship, but I wasn't impressed with him at all in those games.  His arm isn't very strong and he's not all that accurate, both qualities which will be exploited in the pros.

14 hours ago, flgreen said:

That list is exactly why the Jets must find a trading partner for 6, and getting as many picks within first 4 rounds as possible

This rumor about Cleveland has me hopeful.  Makes sense for both teams

The QB's in this draft have approximately the same grades as guys taken in the first round in 2011. Their names? Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder. Anyone want any of these guys? Locker and Ponder are out of the league and Gabbert is hanging on as a backup. Draft Trubisky, Watson, Kiser or Mahomes in round one and that is what you will be getting. I predict that none of these guys becomes a top starter.

4 hours ago, thadude said:

Yeah that's the most ridiculous thing I've read on a while.  McCown/Petty/Hack are so good none of these Qb's would start from day 1?!?! Really!?!???

Read it and weep thats right all are better than the trash heap we have here. 

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

The QB's in this draft have approximately the same grades as guys taken in the first round in 2011. Their names? Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder. Anyone want any of these guys? Locker and Ponder are out of the league and Gabbert is hanging on as a backup. Draft Trubisky, Watson, Kiser or Mahomes in round one and that is what you will be getting. I predict that none of these guys becomes a top starter.

What grade did Bridgewater have or Derek Carr  ?  What grade did Jared Goff have or Paxton Lynch for that matter ?  How does a QB being considered for the 1st overall pick get drafted at the end of the 1st round and become a SB MVP ?

Where is it written in blood that a QB taken in the top 10 has to open that season as the starter or it's a wasted pick  ?

Archived