Goff And Wentz

TuscanyTile2

Just trying to get a feel for how this forum looks back on th Goff/Wentz picks last year.  In retrospect were either worth it?  I know Goff had a bad season but I think Wentz at least showed good promise (at least early in the season).  Asking this now because there's always hype around QBs at this time of year.  It's easier to have a more "sober" conclusion when analyzing picks from the past.

Better than what we have doesn't mean you want one either.  There are hundreds of promising qbs that fail to develop, and that's worse in many ways bc your waste so much time and wallow in mediocrity.

Im not even sold on Jameis Winston and to a lesser extent Marcus Mariotta.  Three years from now, it's very possible someone in Tampa will be cursing the day they wasted a pick on the guy.  It's simply too early to tell, and now they're absolutely locked into the process.

It's unclear if  the young qbs that do develop, are ultimately what you want either.  For instance Andy Dalton and Alex Smith.  Both good qbs that made it out of the pack.  However, in many ways they've hit their ceiling, and it's unclear if they're good enough to ever really win a Super Bowl barring a Denver Broncos level defense.  Both of those teams are in a terrible position, bc they're frequently good enough to be in the playoffs, but never good enough to beat the real elite teams.  That's why being the Raiders or the Colts are in significantly better long term positions.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Both are better than any QB on our roster and would instantly improve the QB position here. 

Absolutely ZERO proof that Geoff is better than anyone on our roster. In fact I firmly believe he will be a complete flop and it will have zero to do with Fisher being here or not. 

21 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Absolutely ZERO proof that Geoff is better than anyone on our roster. In fact I firmly believe he will be a complete flop and it will have zero to do with Fisher being here or not. 

Absolutely better than any QB on our roster just from college statistics. He's no flop LOL 

Hard to tell. It was their rookie season. Guys went from their usual college season then immediately began allstar games, workouts, the draft process then thrown into the league and dealt with their first NFL season. A total whirlwind. 

I think year two will tell us more about these two guys. This offseason is the first time in almost 2 years that these guys had like a regular offseason and time to prepare for the next season. Rookie seasons can be quite stressful given what lead up to that season. 

I think the best thing to happen to Jared Goff was the firing of Jeff Fischer. 

30 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Absolutely better than any QB on our roster just from college statistics. He's no flop LOL 

C'mon man...we both know college statistics have NOTHING to do with whether or not a player will flop at the pro level.....smh, you ought to be ashamed of that post. 

1 hour ago, Hael said:

Better than what we have doesn't mean you want one either.  There are hundreds of promising qbs that fail to develop, and that's worse in many ways bc your waste so much time and wallow in mediocrity.

Im not even sold on Jameis Winston and to a lesser extent Marcus Mariotta.  Three years from now, it's very possible someone in Tampa will be cursing the day they wasted a pick on the guy.  It's simply too early to tell, and now they're absolutely locked into the process.

It's unclear if  the young qbs that do develop, are ultimately what you want either.  For instance Andy Dalton and Alex Smith.  Both good qbs that made it out of the pack.  However, in many ways they've hit their ceiling, and it's unclear if they're good enough to ever really win a Super Bowl barring a Denver Broncos level defense.  Both of those teams are in a terrible position, bc they're frequently good enough to be in the playoffs, but never good enough to beat the real elite teams.  That's why being the Raiders or the Colts are in significantly better long term positions.

This x1000

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

There is no way anyone could have watched him play last year and say that Goff is better than any QB in the league. I am not ready to give up on Goff, just like I am not giving up on Hack. In years past, kids like Hack and Goff were given a year or two to develop. Especially Goff, coming from Cal's offense. With that said, Goff looked especially awful last year. 

That's the problem with taking Trubisky/Watson/Mahomes etc this year. I am sure 1  will pan out, but to waste the 6th pick on a 1/5 chances is a mistake, especially when you are drafting them into a really bad Jets team. If we take Fournette/Howard/Cook/Mccaffery/Williams/Davis in the first (at 6 or a trade down), we give Hack/Petty/2nd or 3rd rd QB a chance to succeed this year. Honestly, I would draft offense with just about every pick this year. Let Bowles show his worth as a D coordinator. Its not like he doesn't have Mo/Sheldon/Williams/Pryor/Claiborne/Harris/Lee to work with.

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

C'mon man...we both know college statistics have NOTHING to do with whether or not a player will flop at the pro level.....smh, you ought to be ashamed of that post. 

Talk to me around week 8 lets see how you feel.....standing by statement. 

3 hours ago, Hael said:

good points all. it took some time for smith to hit his stride and that meant going to a team where he could be a game manager. Dalton?  the red ryder? has he even won a playoff game yet?  and just how did the bungles finish so poorly with one of the better qb's?  the bottom line is nobody really knows what these young qb's will bring to the table or how successful their teams will be.  there are just too many other factors that keep qb's from being successful.  they get the praise for winning and the blame for losing.

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Goff and Hackenberg are on the same level right now. Goff looked awful, Hackenberg didn't play. That could change this year. And because of where they were picked. RIGHT NOW, Goff is worse than Hackenberg in terms of the pick

Goff saw the field and actually dressed for game Hackenberg was MIA. 

Wentz has a delivery very similar to Geno with respect to an elongated windup.  Definitely something that is fixable but its an issue - when you watch him play you notice his passes are slightly late, even when he has time to step into his throw, and that is with a rocket arm.

Goff looked terrible, but played with a horrendous line, WRs, and coaches and frankly should have had a full redshirt year.

Im amazed people are critizing Mariota and winston.  Mariota on his career has 30 tds and zero picks in the red zone through 2 seasons - let those numbers sink in for anyone being critical of him.  He may have a hard time staying healthy, but he is pretty tough to criticize at this point in his career.  Winston has thrown a lot of picks, but has also shown solid pro level talent through 2 seasons.  

Archived