Warren Sapp says Myles Garrett shouldn't be top pick

AFJF

Sapp should really be commenting on something he knows more about....what does he think about Malik Hooker?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705197-former-49ers-rb-glen-coffee-attempting-nfl-comeback-after-serving-in-army

Warren Sapp knows what it takes to dominate at the line of scrimmage, and the Hall of Fame defensive lineman says he doesn’t see those traits in former Texas A&M star Myles Garrett.

Sapp said he’s broken down some of Garrett’s game tape and can’t understand why the 21-year-old is poised to be the No. 1 pick in Thursday’s NFL Draft.

“I don’t see it from this kid,” Sapp said Sunday, via ESPN. “I see the splash plays — everybody gets those. Where’s the game he took over? Where? Any defensive lineman who’s the No. 1 pick, you turn up and you say, ‘There it is!’ This kid, no, I don’t. I’m a pretty plain and frank guy, and I watch the tape and he disappears. I watch the tape and he absolutely disappears.”

Sapp, who racked up 96 ½ sacks during his 13-year career, says he doesn’t see a player with a high motor and believes the Browns should go in a different direction with the top pick.

“I see a lazy kid that makes four plays a game,” Sapp said. “This is the No. 1 guy? No, no, no. This ain’t even close.”

So why are the scouts so impressed with Garrett? Sapp says it has everything to do with his size and speed, intangibles that can’t be taught.

“It’s all about measurable,” he said. “Once you hit the measurable, it’s tough to get them old scout people off the numbers, and that’s what [Garrett] has. He’s big and he’s fast. Now some defensive line coach is thinking, ‘I can turn him into something.’ How? I’m trying to figure this out. Really? Are we lowering the bar?”

Guys like Sapp are hard to take sometimes, but in this instance, if Warren Sapp spent the time and really broke down the tape on a prospect, especially a defensive lineman/pass rusher, I'm definitely going to be open and listening to what he's saying. There's no such thing as gospel from any of these guys but Warren Sapp knows what he's talking about. Maybe that's unfortunate bc he's a douchebag but it's the truth.

I have to say I do not see it either. He just wasn't that productive. He actually reminds me a lot of Gholston. Funny thing is that I think the Browns are not sold on him at all but might make the pick of him anyway to cover their butts with owners.

I can't stand Warren Sapp. But he is half right hald wrong here. 

He's right that gm's look at meausrable #'s too much, and value that higher than actual game film. He's right that Garrett has good highlights but hasn't necessarily taken over games.

He's wrong for being excessive with his critque and coming off as a hater. All he had to say was, Garrett being picked at #1 has more to do with his potential, than what he's already done.

Also, no one else is really worth the first in this draft, if Garrett isn't.

My one and only opinion of Myles Garrett is that he runs really ******* weird. It's the goofiest running form I've ever seen in my life. Yet it somehow works. Which is weird...someone who looks so unathletic and unnatural when he runs is going to be a top 3 pick of the NFL draft. That's all I know. As far as his football skills what the duck do I know. 

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

My one and only opinion of Myles Garrett is that he runs really ******* weird. It's the goofiest running form I've ever seen in my life. Yet it somehow works. Which is weird...someone who looks so unathletic and unnatural when he runs is going to be a top 3 pick of the NFL draft. That's all I know. As far as his football skills what the duck do I know. 

Watch the old black and white clips of Honus Wagner, and Garrett will become 2nd on your list, yet Wagner was one of the fastest player of his time.

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Watch the old black and white clips of Honus Wagner, and Garrett will become 2nd on your list, yet Wagner was one of the fastest player of his time.

True story I was watching the combine and my 15 year old daughter who runs track and plays soccer sits down next to me, and I tell her, watch this with me for just a little bit, watch these guys run. Watch their form etc. These guys are all over 6'2 250 lbs and look how fast they all are...sure enough Garrett comes up and I'm like, watch this guy, he's gonna blaze etc....20 secs later I was, ok, so don't follow that guy he's got his own style that works for him...I'll get you when the DBs run tomorrow and I want you to watch those guys w me instead.

Sapp may or may not be right. Predicting failure is actually safer than predicting success in the NFL draft. But just keep in mind Sapp was all in on D'Rob aka "the bowling ball w a butchers knife" and Jamarcus "He can throw a strawberry through a battleship" Russell.

Sooooo, we can be nice and say he's "prone to hyperbole", or.....

There is definitely an attitude problem with Garrett.  He took a ton of plays off during college, he doesn't have the greatest motor, and his technique is flawed.  Clowney, who is even more of a genetic freak than he is, couldn't even get a whiff at the qb in the NFL until a couple years worth of NFL coaching has helped him improve some of the fundamentals. Even now, he's far from the dominant pass rusher people thought he would be. 

Meanwhile, lesser athletes who have high motors and relentless drive and work ethics, frequently perform just as highly.

Don't get me wrong, Garrett will likely play in the probowl at some point in the future, but there are definitely question marks and I don't think he is as plug and play as the media are making him out to be.

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I have to say I do not see it either. He just wasn't that productive. He actually reminds me a lot of Gholston. Funny thing is that I think the Browns are not sold on him at all but might make the pick of him anyway to cover their butts with owners.

Owners want Trubisky. Coaches want Garrett. It's been reported all week.

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Owners want Trubisky. Coaches want Garrett. It's been reported all week.

I've read here that the Browns are now the beacon for NFL decision making, because they value the 3 cone drill. So whatever they do will be extremely right.

1 hour ago, Hael said:

There is definitely an attitude problem with Garrett.  He took a ton of plays off during college, he doesn't have the greatest motor, and his technique is flawed.  Clowney, who is even more of a genetic freak than he is, couldn't even get a whiff at the qb in the NFL until a couple years worth of NFL coaching has helped him improve some of the fundamentals. Even now, he's far from the dominant pass rusher people thought he would be. 

Meanwhile, lesser athletes who have high motors and relentless drive and work ethics, frequently perform just as highly.

I'm going to get this crocheted onto a pillow and fall asleep hugging it every night.

Archived