Hackenberg comps

AFJF

17 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

I don't know what Maccagnan saw in this kid

He saw a kid with all the tools to be a great QB. He saw a high character prospect. He saw a QB prospect who is ahead of the curve of many other QB prospect in the mental aspect of the game. He saw a kid who excelled in the Pro System and regressed in a college spread- unlike so many other QB prospects that are the other way around. He saw a kid who played his last couple of college years with very little talent around him and probably the worst offensive line in football.

He saw a developmental prospect with immense potential and very little red flags- off the field or otherwise. He saw a potential Franchise QB. And he took a chance...late in the 2nd round. I don't think t was that much of a reach. I don't think you can assume Hack would have been there in the 4th. I think if you see a QB you like, you take him, essentially, one round ahead of where you think he will go.

Now, did Macc see the bad college tape? Did he see the inconsistency, poor accuracy? Did he notice that Hack needs to work on his footwork, etc,. etc.? I assume he did. But let's not forget, you take those negatives away and we are talking about a #1 overall pick. Don't get it twisted.     

We will see how good Hack can be in this league once Hack ACTUALLY GETS A CHANCE TO PLAY. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, PepPep said:

He saw a kid with all the tools to be a great QB. He saw a high character prospect. He saw a QB prospect who is ahead of the curve of many other QB prospect in the mental aspect of the game. He saw a kid who excelled in the Pro System and regressed in a college spread- unlike so many other QB prospects that are the other way around. He saw a kid who played his last couple of college years with very little talent around him and probably the worst offensive line in football.

He saw a developmental prospect with immense potential and very little red flags- off the field or otherwise. He saw a potential Franchise QB. And he took a chance...late in the 2nd round. I don't think t was that much of a reach. I don't think you can assume Hack would have been there in the 4th. I think if you see a QB you like, you take him, essentially, one round ahead of where you think he will go.

Now, did Macc see the bad college tape? Did he see the inconsistency, poor accuracy? Did he notice that Hack needs to work on his footwork, etc,. etc.? I assume he did. But let's not forget, you take those negatives away and we are talking about a #1 overall pick. Don't get it twisted.     

We will see how good Hack can be in this league once Hack ACTUALLY GETS A CHANCE TO PLAY. 

Ok

hack blows

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Exactly. And the funny thing is that some of the guys bashing Hack are begging for the Jets to take Trubisky or Watson with the 6th pick in the draft. Guys that will also need a year of "red shirting" before being ready. Personally I think they reached with Hack and could have taken him a little later, but perhaps they knew other teams were going to snag him. I am very excited/nervous to see what Hack brings to the table in camp. You will know early on from reports whether he has figured things out or is just another Jets miss at QB. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. And the funny thing is that some of the guys bashing Hack are begging for the Jets to take Trubisky or Watson with the 6th pick in the draft. Guys that will also need a year of "red shirting" before being ready. Personally I think they reached with Hack and could have taken him a little later, but perhaps they knew other teams were going to snag him. I am very excited/nervous to see what Hack brings to the table in camp. You will know early on from reports whether he has figured things out or is just another Jets miss at QB. 

I don't want Trubisky or Watson neither.  I'd use a 2nd on Kizer tho 

Hack should be cut 

1 minute ago, Barkus said:

Wrap him in bubble wrap too, he makes Pennington look rugged.

I actually don't think he is fragile, unlike some injury prone players.  his injuries imo were semi legit and no fault of his.

- Killed in preseason when a rookie OT whiffs on a block.

- Killed when the center snaps the ball and no one else on the oline moves.

- Killed trying to recover a fumble when our latest vet, injured jag rbs' fumbles on his 2nd carry of the year.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I actually don't think he is fragile, unlike some injury prone players.  his injuries imo were semi legit and no fault of his.

- Killed trying to recover a fumble when our latest vet, injured jag rbs' fumbles on his 2nd carry of the year.

Still, that is 3 significant injuries in relatively small amount of playing time.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I don't know what to make of it. I could excuse any one of those things, but all 3 in one season (most of which was spent with him on the bench or outright inactive)?

It's a contact sport, so it's tougher to see others get up after such plays but it's a fluke thing every time he gets injured. If he's the starter he's going to get clobbered a whole lot in his career. There will be hundreds of missed blocks, others' fumbles, missed assignments, and general brainfarts of others over the course of his career. He's going to get sacked. He's going to be the recipient of late hits and crushing blindside hits. It happens to them all. 

15 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Still, that is 3 significant injuries in relatively small amount of playing time.

He's not pulling hammys and cutting his hands with a knife preparing dinner or breaking his leg just running.  As i said normally one would look at it the way you have but in this case these past injuries are not indicative to me of future problems.

In any case Petty is not the plan for this team and if we draft a Qb he'll probably get dumped whether he deserves it or not.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know what to make of it. I could excuse any one of those things, but all 3 in one season (most of which was spent with him on the bench or outright inactive)?

It's a contact sport, so it's tougher to see others get up after such plays but it's a fluke thing every time he gets injured. If he's the starter he's going to get clobbered a whole lot in his career. There will be hundreds of missed blocks, others' fumbles, missed assignments, and general brainfarts of others over the course of his career. He's going to get sacked. He's going to be the recipient of late hits and crushing blindside hits. It happens to them all. 

Agreed.  Basically, he needs to show last season was a complete aberration to feel any better about his physical ability to hold up in the NFL.  That's of course assuming he's even worth keeping around anyway.  No single one of those plays had you immediately thinking "he got hurt on THAT?", but that really makes no difference if plays that seem that they could more legitimately hurt someone are always hurting him.  Every even somewhat durable player needs to have plenty of those instances where he just pops back up to the relief of everyone.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Agreed.  Basically, he needs to show last season was a complete aberration to feel any better about his physical ability to hold up in the NFL.  That's of course assuming he's even worth keeping around anyway.  No single one of those plays had you immediately thinking "he got hurt on THAT?", but that really makes no difference if plays that seem that they could more legitimately hurt someone are always hurting him.  Every even somewhat durable player needs to have plenty of those instances where he just pops back up to the relief of everyone.

if i'm a betting man, the jets trade back in the first, take cb conley, then address other positions in rounds 2 and 3, then take a qb either with the last pick in round 3, or one they acquired in round 4, or round 5.  the new qb replaces petty.

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

- Killed in preseason when a rookie OT whiffs on a block.  wasnt it a touchdown pass?

- Killed when the center snaps the ball and no one else on the oline moves. Nice long gainer too to Anderson

- Killed trying to recover a fumble when our latest vet, injured jag rbs' fumbles on his 2nd carry of the year. Ouch

When was last time you saw Brady, Manning's, other elite take hit like those

They didnt even call a late hit for Petty on 1st one......Brady would have lost his sh*t and cry right there on 20 yard line.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Johnny U was cut by the Steelers, henwas worse than bad.

Young was as bad as jets fans think Hack is and he's in the HOF.

Examples I gave are all HOFers but they don't count cause they didn't enter the league after the OP became a football fan. (rolleyes)

Here's one from '89 that counts - another HOFer - Troy Aikman - 0-11 as starter ... 9 TD ... 18 INT ... 55.7 QBR

21 hours ago, AFJF said:

Okay, I know I've said a lot of stuff about Hack that may come across as me not liking the guy or not willing to give him a chance, but that's not the case.  Yes, I did watch him A LOT in the preseason and saw him consistently struggle to throw a spiral, something that I think is essential for an NFL QB.

That being said, I'm still holding out hope that the kid has the goods.

As bad as he was, he made what I believe was the single best throw of camp when the Jets were indoors one day and he dropped a beautiful 50ish yard bomb right in Charone Peake's hands inside the five yard line but those types of throws were few and far between.

Can anyone think of a QB who looked as bad as Hack did last season and still went on to be a quality NFL QB?

It's hard to answer the question given that Hack has yet to play in a live game. Though I didnt like the pick given that I felt it was way too early, I have to say that it's hard to really compare him based on a few quarters in a preseason game to anyone in particular. 

I also dont like the idea of possibly taking a guy in the first round when we just took him in the 2nd round and never seen him play a regular season game. I do agree with drafting a QB every year, but not in the 1st. Guys like Nathan Peterman should definitely be considered. Nothing wrong with drafting a guy who's considered "NFL" ready. I would have also liked for the Jets to pick up Kevin Hogan as a free agent. So many things they've could have done regarding acquiring young QB's and not Josh McCown.

I have hope for Hack because he's a Jet and we really need to hit, like seriously need to hit. The closest we've been is Chad Pennington and his arm with hit with the Namath curse. We release him in order to sign Favre, then Favre's arm is hit with the Namath curse while at the same time Chad Pennington ends up being the QB to keep us out of the playoffs that year. 

1 hour ago, jetrider said:

Examples I gave are all HOFers but they don't count cause they didn't enter the league after the OP became a football fan. (rolleyes)

Here's one from '89 that counts - another HOFer - Troy Aikman - 0-11 as starter ... 9 TD ... 18 INT ... 55.7 QBR

yea but everyone and their dog knew Aikman was going to be good.  very few thought Hackenburg would be....

25 minutes ago, peebag said:

yea but everyone and their dog knew Aikman was going to be good.  very few thought Hackenburg would be....

Hackenberg hasn't played one NFL down yet.

The point is some top pick HOFers with superior college careers struggled at first to make the transition to the pros. 

4 hours ago, PepPep said:

I think you are exaggerating how bad Hack looked in preseason, with the whole spiral nonsense.

In preseason Hack looked like a rookie that needed a lot of work. But he didn't look as awful as you make it seem. There was a lot of good along with the bad. I have talked about this on this forum ad nauseum.

The Bad: these are just the things that jumped out at me. 

-Maddeningly inconsistent accuracy.

-Poor footwork, at times.

-An inability to make the proper reads, at times.

-Poor pocket awareness.

The Good:

-The ability to come to the line, read the defense and change the play. Good command of the offense.

-Good pocket presence. This is not the same as good pocket awareness, what I mean here is that he was able to step into the pocket and make a confident throw despite a collapsing pocket or the defenders coming off the edge. More importantly, this showed that he is not 'shell shocked' from being hammered behind an awful O-line at Penn State. 

-Ability to make 'all the throws'. He is able to bomb it deep, throw a beautiful fade, sling in over the middle, etc., etc. When scouts say QBs can make 'all the throws' I assume that they have to be accurate. And as inconsistent as Hack was with his accuracy, he DID have great accuracy on some of those throws. Some were dropped, some were caught, and of course, he had that beautiful fade to Anderson for a TD- thrown perfectly.

-Goes through his progressions. This may seem like a little things, but there area  lot of NFL QBs that still do not do this on a regular basis., So to see a rookie do it is definitely a positive.

Overall, Hack looked like a developmental rookie with a ton of talent and some recognizable intangibles. He looked like his biggest issue was accuracy and consistency. He looked like he had all the tools and was ahead of the curve with the mental aspect of the game, but still nowhere near ready to start.

I expect him to look a A LOT better in camp and preseason this year. I don't know if he will be any good if he actually wins the QB competition. He could still be a complete bust. But I would also not be surprised if he came out of the gate and played well. I think the best you can hope for (right now) is that he wins out the job and has a solid 'rookie' season a starter, with typical ups and down you tend to see players in their first year as a QB in the NFL.       

No, I'm not at all.

Appreciate the rest of your reply, though.

I like to compare Christian Hackenberg to a Snickers bar you left in the car in the heat of summer 

sure you can try to revive it, put it in the freezer maybe 

the ingredients are all still there 

but it's ruined and nothing is going to unruin it. 

Penn state David Carr'ed this dude and the Jets drafted him about 5 rds too early. 

The less we think about or hope for or even remember Christian Hackenberg is even on the roster, the better. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I like to compare Christian Hackenberg to a Snickers bar you left in the car in the heat of summer 

Penn state David Carr'ed this dude and the Jets drafted him about 5 rds too early. 

The less we think about or hope for or even remember Christian Hackenberg is even on the roster, the better. 

lol

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

namath

too bad you can't get by with a 70 QB rating anymore, lol

Numbers are only units of measure when the things we measure are constant.  Comparing the numbers from different eras is like trying to study dinosaurs by dissecting chickens.

6 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

When was last time you saw Brady, Manning's, other elite take hit like those

They didnt even call a late hit for Petty on 1st one......Brady would have lost his sh*t and cry right there on 20 yard line.

When Petty has compiled the success of a Brady, he'll have earned the right to cry on the 20.  And would get the call just like Brady, Manning, Brees or any of the other elite.  

25 minutes ago, Larz said:

namath

too bad you can't get by with a 70 QB rating anymore, lol

Proving that you have no clue as to the difference between 1960s-1970s football.  

Cant believe when I read shlt this off base. 

46 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

When Petty has compiled the success of a Brady, he'll have earned the right to cry on the 20.  And would get the call just like Brady, Manning, Brees or any of the other elite.  

Really is that how football works these days

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

I like to compare Hackenberg to a dog dookie

Archived