Mitch Trubisky Is Going To Be The Pick

SAR I

How do I know?

Because I'm sitting here dreading the May 1 deadline for writing a check for $5,500 for this year's season tickets, completely uninterested in the schedule that was released a few days ago, I don't believe in my head coach, I don't like a single player on the roster, I'm about as unenthused as I've ever been as a Jets fan.  And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

There is only one thing that can turn around a disinterested fanbase and that's a hot young quarterback.  People get excited about that.  Fans show up for that.  I know I would.

So Trubisky it is.  It's simply good for business.

SAR I

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

How do I know?

Because I'm sitting here dreading the May 1 deadline for writing a check for $5,500 for this year's season tickets, completely uninterested in the schedule that was released a few days ago, I don't believe in my head coach, I don't like a single player on the roster, I'm about as unenthused as I've ever been as a Jets fan.  And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

There is only one thing that can turn around a disinterested fanbase and that's a hot young quarterback.  People get excited about that.  Fans show up for that.  I know I would.

SAR I

my low point was Sanchez's last year he played on the Jets.  I was so disinterested by the end of the year, i opted to mow my lawn rather than watch the game. First time in my life I chose not to watch the Jets game....

Just now, Augustiniak said:

as an alternate scenario, the jets could trade back and take mahomes.

My ideal scenario on Thursday would be to trade back with Cleveland to 12, take Mike Williams or McCaffrey, then package our second round pick with Sheldon to move back into the first for Mahomes.

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

My ideal scenario on Thursday would be to trade back with Cleveland to 12, take Mike Williams or McCaffrey, then package our second round pick with Sheldon to move back into the first for Mahomes.

the thing is, mahomes may not make it past both kc and arizona.  if the jets want him, they're going to have to overdraft him, but it would mitigate the overdraft if they got a 2nd rounder as well.  

22 minutes ago, peebag said:

If it is Trubisky....Everyone associated with this organization should be fired and the team should be moved to Mexico City and be renamed Los Chupacabras

Unless he turns out to be a franchise QB at which time you and others will never mention this again.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the thing is, mahomes may not make it past both kc and arizona.  if the jets want him, they're going to have to overdraft him, but it would mitigate the overdraft if they got a 2nd rounder as well.  

I agree. 

9 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I like Trubisky, but I'm not sure he is going to be anything more than an ok starter. We should suck it up and bite the bullet. Rebuild, wait for our QB next year in the first round. 

I think at worst he's a viable starter.  Has the size, seems smart enough and can make every throw.  That kind of arm talent won't be a total waste

17 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Not even worried. We won't take a Qb, and he will be gone anyway

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The Jets have to really send out feelers that they want Trubisky.  Yes he should be gone, but if he is there the Jets are not going to pass him up.  But  the hope is that he is gone, for everyone's sanity.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

as an alternate scenario, the jets could trade back and take mahomes.

If someone will trade for 6, that is a good idea.  It could require 12 or above.

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I like Trubisky, but I'm not sure he is going to be anything more than an ok starter. We should suck it up and bite the bullet. Rebuild, wait for our QB next year in the first round. 

Right now it is not certain that we have an ok starter right now.  The only way Macc can pass on an ok starter is if Woody tells him he has 3 year security and he can pick a QB next year.  Next year McCarron and Garopollo, among others, will be FAs too.  If the Jets go power running/WCO, Trubisky could be better than ok.

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I think that is too much gymnastics and could backfire.  At 12, just take Mahomes.

Putting together my own thoughts and Cimini's board, if Trubisky is there, that means that another player we like is not.

I like Adams and Howard.  When compared to taking a QB who could be NFL functional, I like Trubisky more than a FS with an injury history who can't tackle, a RB who runs over people running behind a meh line, and 2 DLs we don't need.   I would much, much rather try Trubisky than draft Allen or Thomas, both of whom have "Macc PIck" written all over them.

If Trubisky is there keep with the plan.  McCown starts, and then Hack takes over.  Hopefully Hack plays well.  Trubisky learns.  Petty gets cut/goes on the practice squad.  Let's go from having zero QBs to 2.  in 2018, we can trade one if they both look good.

29 minutes ago, SAR I said:

How do I know?

SAR I

If Trubisky was ready, then maybe this makes sense. But if they draft Trubisky they are going to to say he is going to red shirt his first year. So how will drafting him energize the fanbase if he isn't going to play this year?

I don't dislike any of the top QBs in this draft class I just don't think any are ready to play this year and have low probabilities of success. That usually translates to a 2nd or 3rd round pick. 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I think at worst he's a viable starter.  Has the size, seems smart enough and can make every throw.  That kind of arm talent won't be a total waste

I don't watch college football so I have no clue if Mitchell "Mitch" Trubisky has any NFL potential.

But what I do know is that the fans have no reason to show up in September and the Jets need to do something if they want their season ticket invoices paid on May 1.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong.  Just stating fact.

SAR I

35 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

my low point was Sanchez's last year he played on the Jets.  I was so disinterested by the end of the year, i opted to mow my lawn rather than watch the game. First time in my life I chose not to watch the Jets game....

You must have a large lawn.  I hated Sanchez

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No way they should pick a QB to appease the fans.  Most people are panning this years class, traded down, get more picks and be prepared to do what ever it takes to get the best QB next year.

I agree that that's the right roster strategy.  It's just not the right marketing strategy.

The problem with taking 2 years to slowly groom young quarterbacks is that the bloom falls off the rose, there is nothing to get the fanbase excited about.  They roll Bryce Petty out there, yawn, we've seen him already, doesn't appear to be the next Tom Brady, didn't see anything so captivating that it's worth a full season ticket commitment.  They roll Christian Hackenberg out there, we're expecting a train wreck because of all the bad press, take a wait-and-see approach before investing money on season tickets.

It's either Mitchell "Mitch" or it's going to be slow-going on season ticket renewals, the entire upper deck may be a ghost town and need tarps.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don't watch college football so I have no clue if Mitchell "Mitch" Trubisky has any NFL potential.

But what I do know is that the fans have no reason to show up in September and the Jets need to do something if they want their season ticket invoices paid on May 1.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong.  Just stating fact.

SAR I

I think it is stretch for a QB who has not taken snaps from center to start week 1 as an NFL QB.

Hence the difference between Wentz and Goff.  

Based on his year in a pro system and the work that he has hopefully been doing, Hack should be more ready to start an NFL game than MT.  

But at least MT would provide Hack with real competition and give the fans some hope.

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wasnt that the thought on Petty when he was coming out of the draft?  I recall him being top 3.

38 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

My low point was Geno "Geno" Smith and that 4-12 Idzik fiasco.  I opted to hire someone to polish my Rolex collection rather than watch those games.

SAR I

Archived