So if Casserley's prediction is true...

Dcronin

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BCJet said:

For the watson defenders, how are you able to overlook the lack of speed on his passes?  His intangibles are off the charts, I get that, but so were Tim Tebows.  I also completely realize you dont need an arm like matt stafford to succeed, but you do need to be able to throw from the hash mark to the opposite sideline with either enough speed or enough anticipation to complete that pass, otherwise defenses will ignore one side of the field and be given an enormous advantage.

I like watson as a college player, and leadership, etc absolutely matter, but an NFL QB has to have certain physical abilities (again - not saying arm strength is the #1 quality) but its something that matters and its one thing to be slightly below average in a particular skill set, but its another to be an extreme outlier like watson happens to be with his ball speed.

You would think out of all fan bases, Jets fans would understand this most given our experience with Pennington. 

3 hours ago, thadude said:

Watson is not the thrower Wilson is not even close

Probably not, but he's three inches taller, 20 pounds heavier and a better athlete... And believe me, he can make the throws. 

It's not a perfect comparison, but I see a lot of Russell Wilson in Watson, from intangible perspective. I have no doubt the guy is going to be good and he could be great.

4 hours ago, NoBowles said:

My question is whether his production was limited by Alabama, or that they used him that way because it is what he is. To me, that is a big question for 6. If he is the real deal, and a playmaker who can create huge mismatches on every play, 6 is not too early for him IMO regardless of what position he plays. If he is not a playmaker, but more of a traditional TE who can block, move the chains here and there, then 6 is way too early. I think he has a pretty high floor, I just don't know how high his ceiling is.

My issue with Howard is the fact that he never really was a true focal point of Bama's offense. Picking a player at 6 on the offensive side of the ball , I want someone who has proven over and over again to be the go to guy . Howard has the measureables but we've learned before so does virtually every other player in the NFL. 

Its easy to be a star on a college all star team (Bama) where teamwise you can outclass most opponents even in the very tough SEC. I'm not sure Howard can go to a team where he has to be the star , like the Browns ,Jets etc.... If I was the Jets I'd look to take Njoku in rd2 or either Adam Shaheen or Jordan Legett in later rounds  I think they are safer picks given where we'd need to take Howard.

Then Draft Howard. If Howard is gone take one of the WR's. There will be multiple choices if that scenario develops. All I ask is that they finally draft some OFFENSE.

2 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

What if both Trubisky and Watson are gone?

11 hours ago, Jetster said:

This is what I don't understand about the Watson bashers? His floor is Vince Young but many said that Young failed because he threw sidearm, was as dumb as a box of rocks, and was not a hard worker. 

So let's take a look at Watsons attributes relative to Youngs. Both were winners, and found ways to carry their teams. That's where it ends. Watson is also known as very intelligent, a student of the game, driven to get better, and an extremely hard worker & leader. I think Watsons upside is Donavon McNabb & after watching the sh*tshow I've witnessed at QB for this Jets team, if Macc takes Watson his pick I'll be a happy Jet fan.

Watson is the only QB I'll accept at #6 if we're going to pick one.  I'd prefer not too draft any of them but the position is so important that if you feel a guy available can be your franchise, then you go ahead and draft them (within reason of course).

I don't really see McNabb because Donovan had a cannon, a huge body build compared to Deshaun, and a totally different game, but if I'm right on the VY comparison and Watson fulfills that "what could've been" hype that Young never fulfilled, he'll be better than McNabb ever was.  If Vince kept his head on straight he would have been a very special player.

Archived