More talk of Dalvin Cook falling to 2nd round

AFJF

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/miamiherald.relaymedia.com/amp/sports/college/acc/florida-state-university/article146312224.html

Dalvin Cook has long been considered a first round talent by NFL evaluators – that hasn’t changed. 

But there’s a chance now the 5-10, 210-pound All-American, who rushed for 1,765 yards and 19 touchdowns as a junior and set a school record for rushing in his three years at Florida State, could end up becoming a second round steal.

“While Dalvin Cook is clearly a first-rounder based on talent alone, there are some teams who simply don't believe he is worth a first-round investment,” NFL.com analyst Lance Zierein wrote Thursday. “Some teams seem to be basing their opinions on concerns surrounding durability and character, while others were disappointed with his NFL Scouting Combine showing.” 

Though Cook is rated the No. 2 running back prospect in the draft behind LSU’s Leonard Fournette by most experts including Bucky Brooks of NFL.com, analysts are now projecting Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey will go ahead of Cook and join Fournette as the only backs to be taken in the first round.

Passing on Cook, a former standout at Miami Central High and Florida’s Mr. Football award winner back in 2014, could end up being a mistake some teams regret. Recent history has shown running backs from the South Florida area end up having pretty good careers as pros.

Of the dozen players to rush for more than 1,000 yards last season, three played their high school ball in Miami-Dade: former Miami Central standout Devonta Freeman (1,079 yards, 11 touchdowns for Atlanta), Killian’s Lamar Miller (1,073 yards, 5 TDs for Houston) and Coral Gables’ Frank Gore (1,025 yards, 4 TDs for Indianapolis).

In his last college game, Cook ran for 145 yards and a touchdown and earned MVP honors in FSU’s thrilling 33-32 victory over Michigan in the Orange Bowl last December. It was just another great performance by Cook in front of his hometown fans. In his final high school game, he ran for 223 yards and four touchdowns and led Miami Central its third state title while in four years wearing golden cleats.

Yet, what is giving scouts reason to pause is Cook’s injury history (he had three surgeries on his shoulders and dealt with hamstring issues) and arrest record. 

His rap sheet, according to floridafootballinsiders.com, includes one citation for a BB gun incident that left some car windows broken when he was in high school, another for chaining up three pit bull puppies by the neck and a misdemeanor battery charge in 2015 he was later acquitted of at Florida State.

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Bob McGinn, Cook also scored low (11) on his Wonderlic test. The average score for a running back is 16 according to Paul Zimmerman's “The New Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football.” 

“Fumbles and arrests are a bad combination,” an NFC executive told Zierein in his analysis of Cook. “He's got a lot of ability but he’s got on the field problems with ball security and multiple arrests off of it. You have to decide if he will be responsible with more money and more time on his hands. If you have any doubts, just wait around for another running back because there will be plenty this year.”

Still, there are many other scouts who believe Cook, who ran a 4.49 in the 40-yard dash and had 22 reps on the bench press at the combine, can be a star. Some have compared Cook to both former Miami Hurricane four-time Pro Bowler Edgerrin James, and Freeman, who has run for 1,000 yards in back-to-back seasons with the Falcons. Freeman was a 2014 fourth round pick also out of Florida State.

“He’ll be in the mode of [Devonta] Freeman,” one scout told McGinn. “I absolutely love that guy. He can take over a game. What makes him special is his first 10 yards. His acceleration rate is awesome. Good enough hands. People will try to kill his character, and to a degree he may slide.” 

Cook’s grandmother, Betty Cook, said the family plans to spend the draft at home in Miami. 

The teams targeting running backs include the Jacksonville Jaguars, who pick fourth; the Carolina Panthers, who pick eighth; the Philadelphia Eagles, who pick 14; and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who pick 19th.

The Seminoles have six players projected to be taken over the three days and seven rounds of the draftaccording to NFL.com.

Since 2010, only Alabama (17) and Florida (11) have had more players drafted in the first round than FSU (9).

Last season, Florida State only had two draft picks: cornerback Jalen Ramsey, who went fifth overall to Jacksonville and kicker Roberto Aguayo, who went in the second round to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

In 2015, quarterback Jameis Winston was taken with the first overall pick by Tampa. FSU had 11 players taken in all in that draft including another first rounder and three second rounders.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

If Cook is there for the Jets second pick they better have Bolt turn the card in.

I think he's going to be the best offensive player in this years draft. He has the ability to change a team's offense. 

Imagine the Jets trade down and somehow get OJ Howard (at let's say 12), Mahomes with 33 and Cook with our real 2nd rounder.  That would be an interesting draft.  Though I guess it's also a pipedream.

I would  love to see it but Cook will go in the 1st round. The guy is too talented. I am all for offense and the Jets first 2 pics need to be on that side of the ball. Of course that means they will draft 2 OL and say our line is set for the next ten years!

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Imagine the Jets trade down and somehow get OJ Howard (at let's say 12), Mahomes with 33 and Cook with our real 2nd rounder.  That would be an interesting draft.  Though I guess it's also a pipedream.

Sign me up for this pipe dream 

Too many red flags:

3 shoulder surgeries (front right, back right, front left), soft tissue issues (hamstring)
fumbling issues (had a 63.8 fumble rate) 
2009 arrested and charged with robbery - case dropped
2010 firing a weapon and possession of a weapon on school property - case dropped
2014 citation for mistreatment of puppies
2014 BB gun incident with damaged cars and homes
2014 "associate" in an aggravated assault case 
2015 suspended from football team for allegedly punching a woman outside a bar - acquitted

11 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Too many red flags:

3 shoulder surgeries (front right, back right, front left), soft tissue issues (hamstring)
2010 firing a weapon and possession of a weapon on school property - case dropped
2015 suspended from football team for allegedly punching a woman outside a bar - acquitted

Talent wise it's hard to believe he'll be there in the 2nd.      This makes it look like he just might be.  Interesting to see what the Jets will do if he is.

32 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Too many red flags:

If there was video does he drop to 3rd round?

12 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Complete pipe dream but meat beating worthy. 

Yeah.  I personally would love beating my meat to the pure pain and misery of watching Mahomes line drive screen passes through the hands of Cook because of his lack of touch.  Nothing else would get me harder than watching him rocket passes right into the hands of defenders trying to hit OJ Howard up the seam because he can't diagnose coverages and throw into NFL lanes too.

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah.  I personally would love beating my meat to the pure pain and misery of watching Mahomes line drive screen passes through the hands of Cook because of his lack of touch.  Nothing else would get me harder than watching him rocket passes right into the hands of defenders trying to hit OJ Howard up the seam because he can't diagnose coverages and throw into NFL lanes too.

Who knows.  I just know there's a lot of hype around him (Brett Favre comparisons).  At the very worst, he'd make the team interesting to watch and we'd probably still stink enough to draft Darnold.  If there were some kind of guarantee about getting Darnold next year then I'd be all for it.  At least w/ Mahomes we put a guy in the pipeline with (from what I've read) very high upside.  Meanwhile Francesa had a Fox Sports draft analyst on who said he sees the Jets drafting either Trubisky or Watson at #6 (though he said he thinks Trubisky will be gone in the top 5).

14 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

2 out of 3 is an amazing draft for the Jets. 

23 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Who knows.  I just know there's a lot of hype around him (Brett Favre comparisons).  At the very worst, he'd make the team interesting to watch and we'd probably still stink enough to draft Darnold.  If there were some kind of guarantee about getting Darnold next year then I'd be all for it.  At least w/ Mahomes we put a guy in the pipeline with (from what I've read) very high upside.  Meanwhile Francesa had a Fox Sports draft analyst on who said he sees the Jets drafting either Trubisky or Watson at #6 (though he said he thinks Trubisky will be gone in the top 5).

We picked a project last year in the second round who has an NFL quality mind but still needed to sit to work amd take time on his other flaws.  Mahomes is the Hackenberg project but 2x the work so im curious as to why anyone thinks  that he's going to come in and light it up.

Just now, New York Mick said:

2 out of 3 is an amazing draft for the Jets. 

Oh yeah totally, let's just f*ck up again at the most important position all so fans can be "excited" about this season. 

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

We picked a project last year in the second round who has an NFL esque mind but still needed to sit.  Mahomes is the Hackenberg project but 2x the work so im curious as to why anyone thinks he's going to come in and light it up.

He might need 1-2 years but I'm willing to wait because it's the most critical position and he apparently has high upside.  I read some comments about guys saying stuff like "QB (whoever) would be the best on our roster".  The goal is to win the Superbowl, not "win 9 games" (or whatever).  I don't want an Alex Smith type guy.  I'd much rather gamble on a high-upside guy like Mahomes.  Mind you, I'm not saying we should pick him at #6 but if we end up with a mid-1st rounder or later (e.g. via trade up or down), I'd be fine picking him there.  If he lasts  until our 2nd round pick then I'd be all for drafting him there.

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He might need 1-2 years but I'm willing to wait because it's the most critical position and he apparently has high upside.  I read some comments about guys saying stuff like "QB (whoever) would be the best on our roster".  The goal is to win the Superbowl, not "win 9 games" (or whatever).  I don't want an Alex Smith type guy.  I'd much rather gamble on a high-upside guy like Mahomes.  Mind you, I'm not saying we should pick him at #6 but if we end up with a mid-1st rounder or later (e.g. via trade up or down), I'd be fine picking him there.  If he lasts  until our 2nd round pick then I'd be all for drafting him there.

And if Hackenberg can figure out his mechanical flaws and become a 60% passer, his arm talent and mind would put him through the roof on terms of upside.  We already gave him one year for development, havent even hit mini-camp, and now everyone wants to pick the next "high upside" 2nd-midround project who is worse than the guy we took last year?  Sweeeet.

Mid 1st or 2nd?  If this class didn't suck so bad Mahomes wouldn't be considered before the 5th.  No one other than JW12 has been saying he'd be the best guy on our roster if we drafted him today.

Just now, New York Mick said:

None of this years QBs are worth a sh*t anyway so getting two other weapons and a potential QB is fine with me. 

"None of this years QBs are worth a sh*t....so let's take one of them (the largest project no less) with the 33rd pick in the draft!"

Sounds likes one hell of a plan!  

With all those red flags, he'll still be a stud. All these guys are one injury or dumb decision away from being a bust. Just look at what happened to gareon conley today. 

I'm a huge Fournette guy but cook is as good of a RB to come out in a while. If he drops to us in the second and our organization finally shows some balls and takes him we may actually have a fun team to watch this coming year. 

15 hours ago, New York Mick said:

If Cook is there for the Jets second pick they better have Bolt turn the card in.

I think he's going to be the best offensive player in this years draft. He has the ability to change a team's offense. 

Absolutely.  He's as natural of a receiver as he is a runner.

17 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Too many red flags:

It's funny. With a rap sheet like that this guy is basically given a pass yet Joe Mixon is thrown to the wolves. I guess it pays to be a Seminole.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Well he fell after all but Mixon still out there too. I don't think the Jets end up with either btw (though guessing one or both is available to us). 

Right.  After GB, the other 5 teams ahead of us are set at RB.  So barring trades, at least one will be sitting there.

I'm figuring we go CB, but Cook or Mixon would be a fun pick.

Archived