Elway to Marino

whodeawhodat

Watched this last night on ESPN.  Was very cool.  That 1st round was stacked and not just with QBs.  Also, I had no idea that Marino was sh*t his last year at Pitt.  Was pretty incredible to hear the old timers talk about their views on scouting NFL players as well.

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Yes it was stacked and we ended up with Ken O'Brien and wasted very talented teams in the 80s

could have drafted blackledge... 

On another note about the 30 for 30, Accorsi knew there were no QBs coming out the next year worth a damn and could have traded Elway(or his rights) the following year. He came off as one pretty smart dude.

10 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

On another note about the 30 for 30, Accorsi knew there were no QBs coming out the next year worth a damn and could have traded Elway(or his rights) the following year. He came off as one pretty smart dude.

Also got Eli for the Giants.

58 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Boomer was in the 84 draft

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Does to me. Ken O'Brien was a solid QB. You can't deny that. Also what helps is that Marino never won a title and only got to one Super Bowl. 

What blows my mind is just how bad Marino played his last year at Pitt.  Teams were positive he was on drugs, thats how bad he slipped from the prior year. I cant think of a current draft where a QB played so horribly his final year and still went in Rd 1.  To me it was a huge risk and the fish were rewarded. 

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Does to me. Ken O'Brien was a solid QB. You can't deny that. Also what helps is that Marino never won a title and only got to one Super Bowl. 

Yeah but do the 86 Jets win the SB if Marino is the QB, and not O'Brein?  Also Marino to Toon would have been epic, maybe Toon would have played 5 more seasons because his QB didn't put him in bad spots to go catch the ball.

31 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Kenny took over a young, talented team and never won a playoff game.  If we have Marino we make multiple super bowls

3 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

What blows my mind is just how bad Marino played his last year at Pitt.  Teams were positive he was on drugs, thats how bad he slipped from the prior year. I cant think of a current draft where a QB played so horribly his final year and still went in Rd 1.  To me it was a huge risk and the fish were rewarded. 

Maybe hackenberg will turn out same??

16 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Would have had Ben and Merriman, Kaeding and Obden on their roster.  They had Rivers ranked higher and would have kept him though

They are got lucky D's carried them to SBs or that decision would have haunted them for many years

On 4/25/2017 at 2:37 PM, Lupz27 said:

Yeah but do the 86 Jets win the SB if Marino is the QB, and not O'Brein?  Also Marino to Toon would have been epic, maybe Toon would have played 5 more seasons because his QB didn't put him in bad spots to go catch the ball.

Yeah, O'Brien always laid him out. It was painful to watch at times, but I'll be laughing up my sleeve all the way to the crematorium that that fukko Marino never got a ring. Fukkkkkk Miami. 

In all seriousness, Marino was a great QB and I give grudging credit. That motherfukker should die with a rusty railroad spike to the temple for the spike play, and Aaron Glenn should eat sh it for the rest of his life, but I digress. 

I think the systemic problem with the Jets is that it's an insoluble problem, and I don't think Marino would've solved it. I mean, look at his sh ittty Wonderlic score. The draft is like a rabbit chasing a hare. You get gems from puddingstone once in a while, but really, it's just a happy accident. 

All that being said, I think scouting is overrated. If I closed my eyes and eeny miney moed, I'd probably do a better job. I'm just disappointed that there's no-one named DeFlorious Jack'OLantern Green this year. What is this goddamned world coming to, I ask you. 

Archived