First-round prospect facing possible sexual assault charges

AFJF

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Well that looks like an admission of guilt if I ever saw one.

I took it as he / his agent is afraid he's going to drop to who knows where. I also wouldn't rule out the NFL telling him to stay home as they don't want the optics. 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I took it as he / his agent is afraid he's going to drop to who knows where. I also wouldn't rule out the NFL telling him to stay home as they don't want the optics. 

Totally, it would be the smart move for him to stay home at this point.  He should be calling his lawyer though and finding out who he should sue though for all the money he is going to lose if he is proven innocent.

I am not the conspiracy theory type BUT this guy meets a girl at 3am in his hotel elevator and moments later they are a couple of feet away from a live sex show in his hotel room? I consider myself lucky but that seems orchestrated

There's no winner here regardless of the outcome .

My biggest problem with these incidents is this .  Cam Robinson gets arrested in a car with drug of some kind and a loaded gun and is not prosecuted . Joe Mixon punches the lights out of a woman and no B&A  changes are filled against him . This incident comes out, and what exactly .

Our society has devolved into a cesspool whereby anything is litigated away making most things acceptable . The new landscape is rules are made to be broken .

God Help us all .

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

"According to the report, the accuser says she met Conley in a hotel elevator around 3AM and brought her back to his hotel room. She claims Conley asked her to have a foursome with another friend of his and a woman. The accuser says she declined and offered to watch the other couple have sex in the hotel room bathroom instead."

Who could possibly doubt the veracity and integrity of this woman?  She is obviously of high character.  She was probably doing missionary work at 3AM in the hotel elevator.  Or, was it doggy?

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Name is not being released as charges have not been filed yet

Incident happened in Cleveland...Lattimore's home town.  Conley is from a city an hour outside of Cleveland.

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/35230876/top-nfl-draft-prospect-accused-of-sexual-assault-at-downtown-cleveland-hotel

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

There have been numerous conversations at Cleveland 19 News about the report you are about to read. There's a lot at stake. It involves a young woman who said she was sexually assaulted, a young man who is about to start his NFL career, and a team who may be taking a huge risk drafting a player who's under investigation right here in Cleveland.

Police radio traffic coming from downtown Cleveland's Westin Hotel after 3 a.m. Sunday, April 9 sheds light on the moment officers arrived on scene: "Officers on scene, no call back -- 23-year-old female conscious and breathing, victim of a sexual assault."

The accused is a college football player who is expected to be taken in the first round of Thursday's NFL Draft.

We are not naming the player because we're waiting for the police report. And we want to be very clear he has not been officially charged with a crime at this point.

By phone, investigative producer Cassie Nist spoke to the player's attorney, Kevin Spellacy, who said he is representing the player in this matter, but said the accusations are "ludicrous and ridiculous."

"In my opinion this young lady is an opportunist and it's actually despicable," said Spellacy.

The player's attorney says it all started at the Barley House on West 6th Street, when a group left there to go to the Westin for a hotel room party. He said his client was never alone with the alleged victim, and he has three witnesses who said he did nothing wrong. When police arrived at the Westin, the player had already left. The attorney said he is willing to bring his client in to be interviewed by police, but not right away. He has made arrangements for the interview to be held right after the NFL Draft.

There is a lot at stake. It's just days before the draft and one of the top picks has his name on paperwork somewhere on a Cleveland detective's desk. We'd like to see that paperwork. Normally we can. But for some reason we -- the media -- are being held up.

With more on that side of the story here's Chief Investigator Carl Monday's report.

Gareon Conley

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Sounds like total BS. And just the girl trying to make a name for herself.

BS or not it's an ugly situation 2 days before the draft.  

Side note the girl trying to make a name for herself is sometimes true but it's sometimes not. 

It's comments like that why many of these incidents dont get reported 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

BS or not it's an ugly situation 2 days before the draft. he's going to La'el Collins the question is how far will he fall. Whether he did it or not teams don't even want to take a chance with this situation and why should they when there's a dozen other top 100 CBs in this draft who aren't in police reports this week? 

Let's say this kid is exonerated of these charges in a month, what exactly can this person do to repair the damage to that kid's reputation and  lost of revenue he will suffer because of this  ?  If he's guilty, the law will take care of the punishment but what about the mental damage done to the woman ?  Since our country's laws are based on Innocent until proven guilty, what would be a fair punishment for this woman if this man is found innocent ? 

Zero Tolerance has to work both ways, so this stuff stops .    

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Let's say this kid is exonerated of these charges in a month, what exactly can this person do to repair the damage to that kid's reputation and  lost of revenue he will suffer because of this  ?  If he's guilty, the law will take care of the punishment but what about the mental damage done to the woman ?  Since our country's laws are based on Innocent until proven guilty, what would be a fair punishment for this woman if this man is found innocent ? 

It didn't really hurt La'el Collins though. He lost some money up front but he's a starter on the best OL in the league, his favorite team growing up actually. While his peers were being shipped off to Minnesota and Cleveland against their will he got to choose his employer. 

Conley runs a 4.3, don't worry society will make it right for him. 

What you are saying is true of course and false accusations do ruin people's lives 

but all of this aside teams have a right to question why that dude was turning the Westin bathroom into the Bang Brothers go to sunglass hut at 3 am while other draft prospects were presumably home snug in their beds 

it's like boys will be boys sure I get that but he didn't put himself in a smart situation, regardless of if an actual crime was committed that night 

he's like 3 weeks away from the most important day of his young life.

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I'm sure there are several JN members that would still draft this kid, whomever he is.

Especially if she was asking for it by hitting him first.  Or the way she was dressed.

It's OK to assault women as long as they hit you first, right?

Friggin' asswipes.

So now you're arguing with imaginary people over imaginary charges about a crime by an imaginary player for a crime that hasn't even become an allegation never mind been filed or proven to be real on any level.  

And then call us asswipes? 

Are you just always this miserable, assuming the worst in situations that's don't even exist? 

14 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

They should look into the case and under the right circumstances pursue damages with his accuser.  

3 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Gareon Conley -- a projected 1st round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft -- has been named in a police report by a woman who claims he raped her in a Cleveland hotel but he adamantly DENIES the allegations.

The 21-year-old was a superstar cornerback at Ohio State University and draft experts say he could be taken as high as #10 in the draft on Thursday.

But according to a police report filed in Cleveland, and obtained by TMZ Sports, a 23-year-old white female told police Conley violated her in a hotel suite bathroom at a Westin hotel on April 9.

According to the report, the accuser says she met Conley in a hotel elevator around 3AM and brought her back to his hotel room. She claims Conley asked her to have a foursome with another friend of his and a woman. The accuser says she declined and offered to watch the other couple have sex in the hotel room bathroom instead.

A short time later, the woman says Conley unbuttoned her pants and began to have sex with her. She claims she said, "No, stop, it hurts!" but he kept going until he finished. She says Conley then kicked her out of the hotel room.

The woman called 911 and described her assailant as a "black male who wouldn't take his sunglasses off and had an Ohio State tattoo on his left forearm."

The woman says she went to a local hospital where a rape kit was administered.

An officer tried to speak with the accuser at the hospital but she refused to do an interview. Instead, she told the cop she wanted to go home and "that her dignity was stripped from her in a matter of minutes." She refused to speak to cops after that.

As for Conley, two of his friends who were in the hotel room were interviewed by police and told cops Conley never hooked up with the woman and that she was just mad that she got kicked out of the room.

One of Conley's friends said the two had been lying on the bed together "but nothing happened."

Conley was not in the room when police arrived and his friends said they did not know where he went. 

Conley's attorney spoke with Cleveland19 and denied the allegations calling the accusations "ludicrous and ridiculous."

Cops are investigating but so far no arrests have been made and no charges have been filed.

We spoke with police who tell us the results from the rape kit are not in at this point. The sex crimes unit is now on the case. 

Okay at least they named the guy so others won't be affected. For those asking what do you do? The answer is simple. The rape kit evidence comes in and it will tell the tale. Conley will be drafted though. Probably not in the first round but some team will do it. I personally would not take him simply because there are too many variables and Conley's friends could be lying for him or the woman could be lying. That's why the rape kit is essential.

Oh and for those on their high horse comparing this to the Mixon thing your just plain silly. This has NOTHING to do with anything that happened in that case and it is far more serious than that. Mixon met with his victim and apologized to her and she FORGAVE him. So it's time to move on from that as both people in that incident have done why can't you? Its ridiculous to even compare the two.

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I'm sure there are several JN members that would still draft this kid, whomever he is.

Especially if she was asking for it by hitting him first.  Or the way she was dressed.

It's OK to assault women as long as they hit you first, right?

Friggin' asswipes.

Wow. Talk about being an asswipe. Look in the mirror bro.

Reading this story one question comes to mind, is this generation of young people basically animals in heat???
Forced by their physical urges to instantly have sex anywhere and at anytime???  It amazes me EVERY draft how these
players can't stay out of trouble when they're days away from becoming millionaires.  And finally was that a smart
decision by the woman to watch another couple having sex from a bathroom with a stranger???

This generation? For real? This sh*t has been going on since the beginning of time.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It didn't really hurt La'el Collins though. He lost some money up front but he's a starter on the best OL in the league, his favorite team growing up actually. While his peers were being shipped off to Minnesota and Cleveland against their will he got to choose his employer. 

Conley runs a 4.3, don't worry society will make it right for him. 

What you are saying is true of course and false accusations do ruin people's lives 

but all of this aside teams have a right to question why that dude was turning the Westin bathroom into the Bang Brothers go to sunglass hut at 3 am while other draft prospects were presumably home snug in their beds 

it's like boys will be boys sure I get that but he didn't put himself in a smart situation, regardless of if an actual crime was committed that night 

he's like 3 weeks away from the most important day of his young life.

Doesn't that kid live nearby where all this supposedly occurred ?  Probably figured he was safe in his element . Nobody wins here, nobody .  

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

There's no winner here regardless of the outcome .

My biggest problem with these incidents is this .  Cam Robinson gets arrested in a car with drug of some kind and a loaded gun and is not prosecuted . Joe Mixon punches the lights out of a woman and no B&A  changes are filled against him . This incident comes out, and what exactly .

Our society has devolved into a cesspool whereby anything is litigated away making most things acceptable . The new landscape is rules are made to be broken .

God Help us all .

we are a nation of law ignorers

4 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I guess when you are in a hotel at 3AM it is good career planning  to drag anything you find on the elevator back to your room-- and never even consider the possibility of consequences

Devil's advocate . You meet some guy you supposedly don't know at a hotel elevator at 3am and you go back with him to his room .  I don't know where you're from, but when I was his age, if a female called me after midnight, It wasn't for a night of scrabble  . 

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

If it was consensual the kid is screwed.  He denied having sex with her.   

His friend said it didn't happen, but do we know that he denied anything happened?

Archived