Mahomes will be a superstar......better grab him b@tches!

Love the hype of draft week. Here's a profile on him.

Patrick Mahomes   QB   Texas Tech  

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS
Patrick plays football with this “eerie type of calmness”. He has a quick release and throws a natural ball with the correct velocity and touch when needed. He’s a pure pocket passer with enough athletic talent to move around and extend plays when he needs to. Patrick is sneaky good. He makes plays that surprise you during a game because of this calm way he goes about doing his job. He is very accurate and with his natural quick release shocks you with his arm strength. He handles playing in a muddy pocket very well because of his confidence in how quickly and accurately he can get rid of the ball under duress. Patrick is what I would call a natural at playing the position of quarterback physically but he will have to step it up mentally at the next level to become more than a natural quarterback, he needs to become a “complete” quarterback. 

CONCERNS
Patrick still has a lot to learn about the quarterback position mentally. His leadership skills are through his play on the field and I do not believe that will change much as he gains experience. He seems to be quiet, but forceful enough in his play to gain the respect of his coaches and teammates. Patrick has a habit of turning the ball over when he throws off his back foot. He has to learn to move in the pocket and re-set when that happens to re-gain his mechanics and velocity on his throws. 

BOTTOM LINE
This kid is a natural. It’s kind of scary because with this natural talent his potential is enormous. I watch him on film and he never seems to change his play no matter what the score is. He just goes out on to the field with a workman like attitude and starts throwing the ball and making plays. He’s the same if he is playing from behind or if his team is in front. As soon as he learns to take better care of the football and not throw interceptions he becomes a dangerous quarterback to go up against in any game and with any score on the score board. Patrick doesn’t have the arm strength of Packers Aaron Rodgers but he does have the potential to become as impacting a quarterback. He’s a natural and plays with the same demeanor that Aaron has on this field. Patrick is your sleeper quarterback in this draft. 

Drew Boylhart  JAN.2017

9 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Ok but that's Manziel. He's also a druggie.

again, just because manziel didn't make it doesn't mean a similar guy couldnt

Don't forget that Mahomes is full size, not fun-size. He may be a big miss, and I would take him in the 2nd. I think he has a 20% chance of being a star, and an 80% chance of being a waste. No chance he becomes average. 

9 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Look I fully understand that all highlight reels make anyone look great.

the thing is if you compare highlight reels, the best of everyone, you can see mahomes is a freak. Way way better than the others. Better than older highlight reels from the past too.

also, this pro style offense criteria....not too many colleges do that so how wise is it to limit your pickings to just them? Seems silly.

just because he didn't run a pro style doesn't mean he couldn't do it.

you can take a corner, and maybe he'll bust. Or, he might be a solid starter. Or he might be a star. If you take a qb, same possibilities. But if the qb turns out solid or a star guess what go back and decide what makes your team better.....the corner or qb.

Jets need to be bold I agree. If Macc looks at Mahomes as a future Stafford we'd be nuts to not take him at 6. All of this "but it's not good value" is the biggest bunch of Bullsh*t! I'd take Russell Wilson at 6 this year if you could know what you know now about Wilson, critics be damned!

If a team picked Russell Wilson in the 1st round instead of the 3rd they'd look like geniuses right now. All the stories were that Bradway was pounding the tables for him. Then we should have taken him in the 2nd round instead of busts we've been picking in the 2nd round since David Harris. If this organization does not keep hedging their bets to find a young starting QB, they've learned nothing & will continue to be a loser franchise.

14 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

We reached for a qb last season and it hasn't panned out...I got a brilliant idea let's reach for another one this time it will work for sure I saw a highlight reel...these threads are ridiculous

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

You're right. Better to draft a safety with bad shoulders.

• Upvote 1

Now the rumors are the 49ers want Mahomes at 2, and multiple teams want to move ahead of the Jets at 5. I don't believe anything until it happens. It might be exactly what we wanted to happen if the Jets are not interested in Mitchell, if they want Mahomes they could have a problem. I think it might be smoke by the 49ers, but you never know with Shanny.

19 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Now the rumors are the 49ers want Mahomes at 2, and multiple teams want to move ahead of the Jets at 5. I don't believe anything until it happens. It might be exactly what we wanted to happen if the Jets are not interested in Mitchell, if they want Mahomes they could have a problem. I think it might be smoke by the 49ers, but you never know with Shanny.

I think the 49ers are genuinely interested in taking Mahomes, but they don't want to do it at 2, they are thinking they can find either a team like the Bills, Jets, or Browns to trade back with who will want Trubisky, or Carolina, Or Cincy coming up for Fournette, then draft Mahomes at 6, 8, 9, 10, or 12 right in front of Arizona who is rumored to want Mahomes also.

Jets are usually quiet under this regime, but the last 2 days like last year things are starting to sneak out, and it sounds like they like Watson, so I really hope Jacksonville surprises everyone, and takes him at 4.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HessStation said:

jokes aside. If he does have tiny hands, that would be my biggest concern tbh. 

Player | School | Height | Weight | Hand 
C.J. Beathard, Iowa, 6-3, 219, 9 3/8 
Josh Dobbs, Tennessee, 6-3, 216, 9 1/4 
Jerod Evans, Virginia Tech, 6-3, 232, 9 3/8 
Brad Kaaya, Miami, 6-4, 214, 9 3/4 
Deshone Kizer, Notre Dame, 6-4, 233, 9 7/8 
Trevor Knight, Texas A&M, 6-1, 219, 9 7/8 
Mitch Leidner, Minnesota, 6-3, 226, 10 
Sefo Liufau, Colorado, 6-3, 232, 10 3/4 
Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech, 6-2, 225, 9 1/4 
Nathan Peterman, Pittsburgh, 6-3, 226, 9 7/8

Not sure what the lower limit is but he does seem to have somewhat dainty hands compared to others 

Just now, Lupz27 said:

I think the 49ers are genuinely interested in taking Mahomes, but they don't want to do it at 2, they are thinking they can find either a team like the Bills, Jets, or Browns to trade back with who will want Trubisky, or Carolina, Or Cincy coming up for Fournette, then draft Mahomes at 6, 8, 9, 10, or 12 right in front of Arizona who is rumored to want Mahomes also.

Jets are usually quiet under this regime, but the last 2 days like last year things are starting to sneak out, and it sounds like they like Watson, so I really hope Jacksonville surprises everyone, and takes him at 4.

Agreed. I have a feeling all the smoke might have been for Watson. I agree with the 49ers wanting to move down a few spots, but who knows it's hard to decipher through all the BS and speculation this time of year. 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I wish people would do that. I always respected the variety. Always hate when I hear people parroting what the pundits say. Sometimes I can understand, but when it's most of the people saying the same thing it's just boring.

The latest thing I've been hearing is how OJ Howard is "by far" the best blocking TE in this draft. In order to say that you have to Atleast watched a variety of other TE's. The moment you watch George Kittle in comparison you know exactly who's the better blocker.

People make Howard out to be a once in a generation talent, yet I haven't seen one thing that makes me feel like he's elite In certain areas. To be considered once in a generation, you need to show elite traits consistently with production to support that. That isn't OJ Howard.

I would rather take Peterman in the 2nd only because he's my #1 qb out of the top guys but Mahomes is my 2nd

Love peterman too, and would be happy with him at the top of the 3rd, however his ceiling is kirk cousins, as far as a good QB but not elite.

As far as mahomes, going with your theory of not parroting what other people say, after watching Mahomes’ presence on the Gruden show along with his demeanor on the field, I think he is the type of guy who will take over a team like the Jets day 1, be a player that can lead and whose teammates will follow him, and there is simply no way he wouldn’t be our opening day starter.  We will have to live with 2 years of boneheaded INTs, and some ill-advised scrambling, but this guy is the type of athlete, QB, and leader that has top 5 in the league ceiling.  Im not saying that is what he will be, he could bust as well if he never learns the intricacies of when to throw it away or take your checkdown, but his physical ability, coupled with the fact that he will not be a Blaine Gabbert, who cant handle and NFL passrush, gives him a legitimate advantage in his ability to be very successful in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Not sure what the lower limit is but he does seem to have somewhat dainty hands compared to others 

Hand size is important, but not as important as grip strength, anyone who watches the American Ninja Warrior shows knows what I'm talking about, some of those guys can hold on to anything for dear life for an eternity, and I'm not saying I know if Mahomes has the hand strength to compensate for his average hand size, I'm just saying that I believe the grip strength is more important.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Hand size is important, but not as important as grip strength, anyone who watches the American Ninja Warrior shows knows what I'm talking about, some of those guys can hold on to anything for dear life for an eternity, and I'm not saying I know if Mahomes has the hand strength to compensate for his average hand size, I'm just saying that I believe the grip strength is more important.

I agree, ole Mark Sanchez had a 10.5" hand and couldn't always handle the football, hell he had some of the clumsiest looking mishaps of any QB.

I am on the DRAFT MAHOMES BANDWAGON... YES I WOULD EVEN PULL THE TRIGGER AT 6!..... this draft is still deep enough to address other positions, plus the potential to possibly move Sheldon, or Pryor for additional picks... When this kid is in his 3rd year (he would be 24) he will be a top 10 QB, if not sooner. Draft him, bring him along similar to the Russell Wilson development and enjoy...

DRAFT MAHOMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I think Mahomes will be great but may need some time on the bench... Probably not a whole year. I wonder why no one really thinks Arizona would trade up if they have been linked to a qb so often. Especially with the number of qb needy teams in front of them.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

I think Mahomes will be great but may need some time on the bench... Probably not a whole year. I wonder why no one really thinks Arizona would trade up if they have been linked to a qb so often. Especially with the number of qb needy teams in front of them.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Just not what Arians does, if the QB he wants isn't there he will go another direction.

57 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If we draft Watson at 6, I'll fly the plane dragging the "Fire Mac" banner this time for free.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Dainty hasnt stopped this guy. ☺

WP_20170426_10_37_30_Pro.jpg

I was watching someone breakdown Mahomes tape the other day.  While it's really hard to watch any form of Big 12 Football, it was even harder watching all the terrible tendencies that Mahomes has...like holy sh*t is this kid a project.  He rarely does anything right from a mechanics standpoint and makes up for it with that ridiculous arm talent. Like legit, he has some of the worst tendencies I've ever seen for a projected 1st round QB.  

That's not to say he cant overcome those issues but my fear with guys like him with that type of insane arm talent and athleticism, is that when the ball is snapped, everything he's been taught is out the window and he's going back to his school yard ways.

Sure, his arm is sexy as hell but sexy arms mean very little when everything else is completely broken.  The team that takes him better have patience. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

I was watching someone breakdown Mahomes tape the other day.  While it's really hard to watch any form of Big 12 Football, it was even harder watching all the terrible tendencies that Mahomes has...like holy sh*t is this kid a project.  He rarely does anything right from a mechanics standpoint and makes up for it with that ridiculous arm talent. Like legit, he has some of the worst tendencies I've ever seen for a projected 1st round QB.  

That's not to say he cant overcome those issues but my fear with guys like him with that type of insane arm talent and athleticism, is that when the ball is snapped, everything he's been taught is out the window and he's going back to his school yard ways.

Sure, his arm is sexy as hell but sexy arms mean very little when everything else is completely broken.  The team that takes him better have patience. 

The thing that really won be over with Mahomes wasn't just his cannon arm. There have been plenty of Jeff George's that flamed out in this league.

its his arm strength + his accuracy, touch, placement while on the move.

It's rare and uncanny and just based on those aspects he can do what few ever could.

If he could develop the proper mechanics and read defenses, he's unstoppable. But those are big "ifs"

Problems with Mahommes:

1)  You simply have to take the Red raider offense into count at lest a little bit.

2) The big 12 has in general has  just heinous defenses.

3) Unless he makes BIG changes in how he scrambles he will lead the league in fumbles, he holds the ball more carelessly than Geno smith.

4) for having a big arm he throws his deep balls with a shot put style delivery.

5)  I'm not convinced he is super accurate, he didn't show it at the combine.

6) His big claim to fame by some yesterday was that he was actually allowed to change a play at the line of scrimmage.

The guy has some talent but he's as much if not more of a project than other QB's in this draft.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

The thing that really won be over with Mahomes wasn't just his cannon arm. There have been plenty of Jeff George's that flamed out in this league.

It's rare and uncanny and just based on those aspects he can do what few ever could.

If he could develop the proper mechanics and read defenses, he's unstoppable. But those are big "ifs"

I don't think you need to mess with his mechanics all that much, this kid is different, special he can be great without the proper mechanics, its natural talent few have ever had.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Problems with Mahommes:

1)  You simply have to take the Red raider offense into count at lest a little bit.

2) The big 12 has in general has  just heinous defenses.

3) Unless he makes BIG changes in how he scrambles he will lead the league in fumbles, he holds the ball more carelessly than Geno smith.

4) for having a big arm he throws his deep balls with a shot put style delivery.

5)  I'm not convinced he is super accurate, he didn't show it at the combine.

6) His big claim to fame by some yesterday was that he was actually allowed to change a play at the line of scrimmage.

The guy has some talent but he's as much if not more of a project than other QB's in this draft.

Every scout was most impressed with Mahomes throwing work out at the combine so I don't know what you were watching.

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

It's impressive, no doubt but I wouldnt go as far to say it's rare.  Sure Mahomes has a few plays that are eye popping but the college game has been filled with big guys. with big arms who can throw on the run. Just last year everyone talked about Carson Wentz being able to do the same thing.  Watson throws the ball incredibly well on the run. Hell, even Tebow could in college.  I dont think it's a great way to measure a QB.

A couple of other things that scare me:

The Big 12 is literally a joke.  They honestly dont know you're allowed to try and stop the other team.  All those flashy plays he makes in college, are not there in the pros.  I promise.  The only starting QB the conference has ever produced is Sam Bradford.  Just a terrible league for grooming NFL QB's.

For all the sh*t Watson gets for throwing picks, 30 picks over the last 2 years...Mahomes has 25 playing not even half the level of competition in a conference that doesnt play Defense.

The other thing, his worst game vs. Iowa St. ...whoa, it was really bad vs. ******* Iowa St.  Him and Trubsiky both had duds that a guy like Watson for example never had in college. 

And then just his level of competition.  It was piss poor.  The one time he faced an SEC D, he only completed 50% of his passes, he was sacked like 7 times...granted he still threw for 4 TD's but they got their ass whipped as well. 28-56.

I think he's a monster project.

14 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Every scout was most impressed with Mahomes throwing work out at the combine so I don't know what you were watching.

him throwing behind the receiver on two of his three out patterns when the other s wee hitting it perfectly.  some of this deep throws were off.

He is also #1 on a list of over valued players by Daniel Jeremiah.  This to me is the classic case of a poor crop and guy being artificially elevated because of it.

In any case it sounds to me as if opinions on him from nfl teams mirror the disagreements on here.  He will get drafted reasonably high i ma sure.

Players like hackenberg need their mechanics altered because they are routinely inaccurate.

Mahomes isnt inaccurate - in fact he not only has a strong arm, but can hit throws with the necessary touch and remains accurate outside the pocket.  Messing too much with his mechanics is a mistake and something guys are saying who dont look at the big picture of the fact that you only need perfect mechanics if you are inaccurate - does anyone question Rothlisberger's mechanics?

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I don't think you need to mess with his mechanics all that much, this kid is different, special he can be great without the proper mechanics, its natural talent few have ever had.

"mechanics" the other buzz term that gets parrotted constantly.

The guy runs away from trouble coming at him from every direction, gets his big toe an inch from the line of scrimmage, unloads a rocket and scores a touchdown by placing it only where his receiver can snag it.

This is uncoachable talent. Not sure why there is this odd need to have every qb be a carbon copy of each other via mechanics

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

Players like hackenberg need their mechanics altered because they are routinely inaccurate.

Mahomes isnt inaccurate - in fact he not only has a strong arm, but can hit throws with the necessary touch and remains accurate outside the pocket.  Messing too much with his mechanics is a mistake and something guys are saying who dont look at the big picture of the fact that you only need perfect mechanics if you are inaccurate - does anyone question Rothlisberger's mechanics?

this is more in line with what I see.

Does he need to work on his drops, and depth in his drops, YES... he will have minor things to adjust physically that don't effect his arm or throwing motion.

Does he need to learn the pro game, YES, just like every other QB in this draft and most drafts. People are mentioning his level of competition, sure its not preferable, but a lot of people were on the Wentz bandwagon and look at his level of competition, plus Wentz missed a bunch of games. People are trying to find all the reasons not to draft a QB, whether its Watson or Mahomes, Trubisky, or any QB in any year. 

Does he posses all the physical tools and abilities? YES.

Is he teachable? Seems to be from what I have seen and read about him. 

This is a kid I would absolutely be willing to draft. However, every time I like or want us to draft a QB we don't so I am prepared to not have Mahomes be a JET. 

Another thing he does well: he doesnt just focus on one guy, he scans the field and finds whos open.

who knows if he will be able to read defenses well, thats a fair point. But if he can, wow. But even if not, he'll put the ball where it needs to be for his guys to make a play. and it will be a bullet. Hard to defend that kind of ability. Not sure where the "inaccuracy" comments are coming from

• Upvote 1