Calvin Pryor's future with Jets in danger ? ? ?

kelly

The beginning of the 2017 NFL draft on Thursday night marks a new beginning for many teams, as selections provide fanbases with hopes and dreams for the future.

For Jets safety Calvin Pryor, this year’s draft could be the beginning of the end for his time in New York.The Jets hold the No. 6 pick in the draft and nobody really knows what they are planning on doing. General manager Mike Maccagnan is a steadfast believer in picking the best player available. Whoever the front office feels is that player at No. 6 will most likely be the selection.

But who will that player be ?

If it is a safety like Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker, Pryor’s future with the team is in serious jeopardy.The selections of Adams or Hooker would make it clear that the Jets are looking for a new playmaker at the safety position and Pryor is not their guy moving forward.

He was supposed to be that guy when the Jets selected him with the 18th pick in the 2014 draft, but things haven’t exactly panned out.Pryor has shown flashes of the talent that made him a first-round pick and has excelled in run-support as an in the box safety, but when it comes to pass coverage Pryor has struggled mightily to the point where reserve safety Rontez Miles saw more playing time as the season progressed.

Maccagnan has even said that the draft will have an impact on what the team decides to do regarding Pryor’s future, so there is no doubt he will be glued to the TV on Thursday night just like the rest of us.If the Jets wind up with a safety of their liking, the likely scenario will be that the team declines Pryor’s fifth-year option, making this upcoming season the final year of his rookie deal and likely his final year with the team in general.

Three years ago, draft night provided Pryor with one of the thrills of his life. Now, it could prove to be one of the darkest moments of his career.

>      http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/26/2017-nfl-draft-calvin-pryors-future-with-jets-in-danger/

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Jets exercise the 5th year option on Pryor for 2018, I'm going to vomit.  What's the deadline again?  May 3rd?  This should be Pryor's last year with the jets unless he wants to play back up/provide depth for a 5th or 6th rounder salary.  We should expect the Jets to draft  at least one, if not two, safeties.  We need a FS now and will need a SS to replace Pryor in 2018.

6 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

So if the Jets draft a FS, Pryor's future is in jeopardy. Got it.

Unless Pryor puts it all together (conveniently in a contract year) this will be his last season with the Jets. And it might just be even if he does. 

Then let him go, let someone else pay him, and maybe get a pick back.

What a transaction.   use #18 overall, let him suck for 4 years while paying him, then get back a conditional 6th rounder.  Woo Hoo, go Jets.

If the Jets draft a FS that can cover, they can get by this year with Pryor at SS.

But it would appear to me that they can get an upgraded SS in the 4th or 5th round of this year's draft.  That is 4 years of a cheap SS.  Why not do that?

No one is trading for Pryor.

When Revis and Gilcrist were doing their jobs in 2015, Pryor actually looked halfway decent.

I think that could be replicated this year.  

He will be motivated to play well in his contract year.  Exercising the option is just dumb.

Trading him is top priority.

How many teams basically need the draft to replace at least 5 starters? TE, OLB (rush), CB2, SS and FS, just to be functional?  That does not include then WR1, RB1, QB1, ILB, CB1 for 2018.

This is just sad, sad, sad.

Draft two new safeties, trade Pryor for whatever you can get, and go wtih that, Miles,Middleton and Martin.  

54 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Ahh yes, our awesome defensive first round picks. If we pick another S or DB in the first round I might break the TV.  History has shown it is a bad philosophy.

So sick and tired of this.  For every Revis we waste 10x First Round picks on Dee Milliners, Kyle Wilsons and Calvin Pryors

14 minutes ago, thadude said:

I agree but don't use a first round pick to do that

It is a funny draft though. Historically qb, LT, pass rusher are most important positions. However those are the weakest positions in this draft according to what I've read. The talented players are db, safety, te, DL. 

22 minutes ago, varjet said:

When Revis and Gilcrist were doing their jobs in 2015, Pryor actually looked halfway decent.

I think that could be replicated this year.  

He will be motivated to play well in his contract year.  Exercising the option is just dumb.

Trading him is top priority.

How many teams basically need the draft to replace at least 5 starters? TE, OLB (rush), CB2, SS and FS, just to be functional?  That does not include then WR1, RB1, QB1, ILB, CB1 for 2018.

This is just sad, sad, sad.

Draft two new safeties, trade Pryor for whatever you can get, and go wtih that, Miles,Middleton and Martin.  

Every team has tons of perceived weakness and even those team that look good on paper and did decent last year can fall apart and go 1-15

TE - I do not think it is dire but would like them to draft 1 or 2 especially a blocking one like Kittle or Sprinkle then maybe a pass catcher like Hodge.  I actually like ASJ chances he may have scared himself straight has tons of potential so we shall see

CB2 - I actually like Roberts chances and Burris showed some growth so we see.  In the meantime I think Skrine can be ok CB2.  I would actually prefer the Jets focus on drafting a new NB so they can part ways with Skrine next year

SS - again not dire as we could survive with Mile\Pryor but hoping they pick someone up in later rounds to groom for 2018

FS - dire need but plenty option in this draft

WR - I think we can live with current group would not hurt but no smurfs and must be sub 4.45

RB1 - I actually think we need a RB3.  A big bruiser type that can come in short yardage and split with Forte here and there on 1st\2nd down.  However I would not complain in least if they drafted Fournette or one of the other RB1

QB1 - thats easy....Petty

ILB - not dire but hopefully they grab one to groom for 2018

CB1 - not going to solve the worlds problems in 1 draft with apporx 80 million in FA war chest next year there are lots of options in draft and FA.

The title of this thread makes the assumption that Pryor had a future with the Jets . A safety that can't cover and who's best attribute is probably an unnecessary roughness penalty has a limited future in the NFL at that position . I feel bad for the kid, but I hope he saved his money and invested it wisely .

29 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Every team has tons of perceived weakness and even those team that look good on paper and did decent last year can fall apart and go 1-15

TE - I do not think it is dire but would like them to draft 1 or 2 especially a blocking one like Kittle or Sprinkle then maybe a pass catcher like Hodge.  I actually like ASJ chances he may have scared himself straight has tons of potential so we shall see

CB2 - I actually like Roberts chances and Burris showed some growth so we see.  In the meantime I think Skrine can be ok CB2.  I would actually prefer the Jets focus on drafting a new NB so they can part ways with Skrine next year

SS - again not dire as we could survive with Mile\Pryor but hoping they pick someone up in later rounds to groom for 2018

WR - I think we can live with current group would not hurt but no smurfs and must be sub 4.45

RB1 - I actually think we need a RB3.  A big bruiser type that can come in short yardage and split with Forte here and there on 1st\2nd down.  However I would not complain in least if they drafted Fournette or one of the other RB1

CB1 - not going to solve the worlds problems in 1 draft with apporx 80 million in FA war chest next year there are lots of options in draft and FA.

Agree with pretty much all the points but this one. Barring an injury, Petty won't see the field this year.

34 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Understanding that starting the season losing can tank the whole reason, and ASJ is suspended for two games and has to practice, and that Gilcrist could start the season on IR, if let's say the Jets traded their entire draft and had no picks this year, who is playing:

TE

FS

When Claiborne gets hurt, CB1

in 2018,. Decker, Claiborne, Skrine, Forte, Petty, Marcus Williams, Wes Johnson, may not be on the team.

25 minutes ago, varjet said:

Understanding that starting the season losing can tank the whole reason, and ASJ is suspended for two games and has to practice, and that Gilcrist could start the season on IR, if let's say the Jets traded their entire draft and had no picks this year, who is playing:

TE

FS

When Claiborne gets hurt, CB1

in 2018,. Decker, Claiborne, Skrine, Forte, Petty, Marcus Williams, Wes Johnson, may not be on the team.

they are not trading away

I did say FS is dire and they need to come away with a playa

TE - 1st off ASJ can practice all offseason with team and play into the 4th PS game but like i said i am expecting at least 1 draft pick at TE who can contribute right away

every team has the issue with CB1 or any starter getting hurt - jets odds just a little higher is all with Claiborne

as far as 2018 there is a whoe new draft in 2018 and like i said they will have up to 80 million in cap according to estimates and 7 picks in this draft (or more) plus another shot at UDFA and waiver wires.

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

Lee is 2 inches taller and 25 lbs heavier than Pryor.

He is not 2 inches taller and if Lee stopped the roids he would weigh the same or less than Pryor.

"Better living through chemistry"

Pryor is a goner anyway and Lee better show something this year or he will be sitting early.

Bowles isnt going to have patience with these guys with his job on the line.

4 hours ago, thadude said:

So sick and tired of this.  For every Revis we waste 10x First Round picks on Dee Milliners, Kyle Wilsons and Calvin Pryors

don't be surprised at a corner for the 6 pick.  corners are premium players like edge rushers on defense and deserve higher first round picks.  18 was probably a few places too high for a strong safety let alone pryor.

Archived