Calvin Pryor's future with Jets in danger ? ? ?

kelly

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Barkus said:

It is a funny draft though. Historically qb, LT, pass rusher are most important positions. However those are the weakest positions in this draft according to what I've read. The talented players are db, safety, te, DL. 

Pass rusher isn't.  Derek Barnett is a way better pro prospect than Adams and Hooker

30 minutes ago, rangerous said:

don't be surprised at a corner for the 6 pick.  corners are premium players like edge rushers on defense and deserve higher first round picks.  18 was probably a few places too high for a strong safety let alone pryor.

The best safety in the NFL last 15-20 years wasn't even a top 10 pick 

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

He is not 2 inches taller and if Lee stopped the roids he would weigh the same or less than Pryor.

"Better living through chemistry"

Pryor is a goner anyway and Lee better show something this year or he will be sitting early.

Bowles isnt going to have patience with these guys with his job on the line.

I actually think converting Pryor to ILB isn't a bad idea.  Lee is not much bigger than him I'm sorry

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

The title of this thread makes the assumption that Pryor had a future with the Jets . A safety that can't cover and who's best attribute is probably an unnecessary roughness penalty has a limited future in the NFL at that position . I feel bad for the kid, but I hope he saved his money and invested it wisely .

Don't worry tommorow night Macc will use the 6th pick overall on a similar type of Safety

If he can get back to playing like the year before he can be salvaged but the secondary was so bad last year mainly by the corners it was for hard for those safety's to do much playmaking .  And had to way more covering that they should of had too 

17 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Pryor is slow

Not only is he slow he takes bad angles and loses himself in coverage.  As an ILB or MLB who could stay in the box 80% of the time where he belongs and he'd never get caught trying to cover a WR or TE by himself

~ ~ 10. Pryor restraint : The Jets haven't said if they'll exercise Calvin Pryor's fifth-year option -- the deadline is Wednesday -- but the answer seems obvious after drafting two safeties.

rest of above article : 

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68498/how-the-jets-turned-their-draft-into-chris-berman-at-the-hr-derby  

On April 26, 2017 at 7:15 PM, thadude said:

Not only is he slow he takes bad angles and loses himself in coverage.  As an ILB or MLB who could stay in the box 80% of the time where he belongs and he'd never get caught trying to cover a WR or TE by himself

Not just in coverage, but to the ball carrier as well.  That's what makes him so sh*tty.  He can't cover or play the run.

On 4/26/2017 at 0:09 PM, Dcat said:

If the Jets exercise the 5th year option on Pryor for 2018, I'm going to vomit.  What's the deadline again?  May 3rd?  This should be Pryor's last year with the jets unless he wants to play back up/provide depth for a 5th or 6th rounder salary.  We should expect the Jets to draft  at least one, if not two, safeties.  We need a FS now and will need a SS to replace Pryor in 2018.

Not gonna lie I had to check date and time of this post bc I couldn't believe it was made after the draft.

4 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Was looking back at Pryors pre draft measurables, trying to figure out why the hell we picked him.

And he blew away Adams in every test.

Means nothing...... Or does it

That's completely not true:

Pryor 5'11 207

Combine 4.58/ Pro Day: DNP

Vert: 34.5"

Broad: 116"

3C: 6.98

20ss: 4.30

Adams 6'0 215

Combine 4.56/ Pro day 4.33

Vert 31.5"

Broad: 120"

3C: 6.96

20ss: 4.13

On 4/26/2017 at 5:21 PM, Kleckineau said:

He is not 2 inches taller and if Lee stopped the roids he would weigh the same or less than Pryor.

"Better living through chemistry"

Pryor is a goner anyway and Lee better show something this year or he will be sitting early.

Bowles isnt going to have patience with these guys with his job on the line.

can I ask what leads you to believe lee is on roids? he is listed at 232 nothing eye popping that would make me think he is on roids.

he was tied second on the team with tackles and c2nd over all combined tackle totals. I wanted more out of him and jenkins. funny he is combined with solo tackles with Pryor

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Pryor 5'11 207

Adams 6'0 215

Vert 31.5"

I'm sorry, I was comparing his numbers to Kyle Wilson.

Got it mixed up

On 4/26/2017 at 1:23 PM, johnnysd said:

Ahh yes, our awesome defensive first round picks. If we pick another S or DB in the first round I might break the TV.  History has shown it is a bad philosophy.

Hopefully you have 3 tv's seeing how we drafted 2 safeties in first 2 rounds. ???

15 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Pryor 5'11 207

Adams 6'0 215

Vert 31.5"

Maye 6'0 210

Pro Day: 4.47

Vert: 33.5"

Broad: DNP

3C: 7.05

20ss: 4.12

11 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

lol, I was just looking up all my least favorite jets.

and wanted to compare the numbers to Adams

lol, good enough. but to be fair, if you want to go off of Adam's best 40 at pro day, he was a tenth of a sec faster, 20 lbs heavier. 

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

As expected, the Jets have declined to exercise the fifth-year option for S Calvin Pryor, a source confirmed. This means the 2014 first-round pick will be a free agent after the 2017 season. The Jets drafted two safeties, so this decision comes as no surprise, especially after it was learned they shopped Pryor during the draft.

The writing is on the wall and I like Pryor but it seems like this regime is trying to replace most of the draft picks of the previous regime and unless they really play above and beyond like Enunwa, they don't have the patience to want to work with a lot of these guys. 

The Jets used their first-round NFL Draft pick on LSU safety Jamal Adams. They then took another safety -- surprisingly -- in the second in Florida's Marcus Maye. The Jets also have Calvin Pryor under contract for (at least) one more season. 

So... what now ?

If there's anyone qualified to find a way to make all three work seamlessly together, it's Jets coach Todd Bowles. He's the mastermind behind the hybrid linebacker/safety position played by the Cardinals' Deone Bucannon. In Arizona, they call it the "money linebacker."Bucannon plays near the linebackers, but does the job routinely asked of safeties or defensive backs. He'll cover backs and tight ends on passing plays, then use his agility to evade blockers to make plays on running ones. He's a dynamic weapon on defense. 

Since the Cardinals drafted him in 2014, Bucannon has 286 tackles, five sacks, four forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and one interception in 45 games. He had his best season in 2015 when he recorded 112 tackles, three sacks, two forced fumbles and a pick.Pryor has some similar athletic traits to Bucannon. Could he potentially be the Jets' money backer next year if they don't trade him?

That was one of the many topics discussed on this week's Jets Chat. Check the video out below. 

Question? Comment? Concern? Drop a word or two in the comment section

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/05/jets_chat_can_calvin_pryor_be_the_jets_deone_bucan.html#incart_river_index

-- The New York Jets unveiled their two new safeties Friday at rookie minicamp -- Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye, who told reporters before practice, "I feel like they tried to get the best two safeties in the draft, and they did that."

Which raises questions about the old safeties. One of them, Marcus Gilchrist, was released Thursday. Former first-round pick Calvin Pryor remains on the roster -- for now.

Things change quickly in the NFL. Three years ago, Pryor was the new kid with the bright future, but his roster spot is endangered because of inconsistent play. If he's not happy about the decision to draft players at his position ... well, coach Todd Bowles sent a message to Pryor -- and everybody else on the team, for that matter.

"If you're afraid of competition," said Bowles, responding to a question about Pryor, "you don't need to be here."And there you have it, one of Bowles' themes to the season. When you tear apart the roster after a 5-11 season, it should be all about the competition. Nobody is on scholarship. Be good or be gone.Bowles has talked about utilizing three-safety packages with Pryor, Adams and Maye, something he did with the Arizona Cardinals. They could go in that direction or they could decide to part ways with Pryor at some point. Some of that decision could be based on how quickly Adams and Maye develop. Bowles said he's not opposed to starting two rookies.

"It's feasible, yeah, if they're good football players," he said. "If they earn it, they could start at safety. I've seen it happen before."

Adams and Maye should complement each other well because Adams is a strong safety, Maye a free safety, although Bowles was quick to point out the two positions are interchangeable in his system. They didn't get a chance to practice together Friday, as Maye sat out team drills as a precaution. He finished the college season with a broken left arm, and the Jets don't want to rush him back. He'll be fine by training camp.They almost became teammates at the University of Florida, but Adams changed his mind and decided to attend LSU. They became friendly during the recruiting process and kept in touch over the years, playing in the SEC. When Maye was drafted in the second round, one of his first congratulatory texts came from Adams, the Jets' No. 1 pick.

"I really didn't think they were going to call," Maye said. "When they did, I realized what they were trying to do -- to get the both of us. When that happened, me and Jamal, we were pretty excited about it."

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68588/jets-could-start-two-rookies-at-safety-you-hear-that-calvin-pryor

Was looking back at Pryors pre draft measurables, trying to figure out why the hell we picked him.
And he blew away Adams in every test.
Means nothing...... Or does it

Means one thing :

The combine is a piece of garbage as far as gauging football talent. Gholston.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Greg Cosell, an NFL analyst and a senior producer at NFL Films, is widely regarded by NFL insiders as one of the most knowledgeable and trusted football analysts in the game.

When the Jets drafted Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye in this year’s draft, Cosell spoke on the impact it will have on current Jets safety Calvin Pryor.

“I didn’t love Pryor coming out of Louisville, and obviously they don’t, either,” Cosell told “The Midday 180” on 104.5 The Zone in Nashville. “Todd Bowles is a defensive guy where safeties are important in his defense. In his mind, Pryor clearly was not up to the task. When you draft safeties, one and two, and you have a lot of needs on the team, you’re basically telling your present safeties they’re not good enough.”

When the Jets released safety Marcus Gilchrist it almost ensured that Pryor will be back this season. His $2.7 million salary cap hit is relatively low and he will be kept around to likely backup Adams and Maye. The two rookies will look to revamp the Jets secondary, although it might take time for them to click.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/22/respected-nfl-analyst-not-a-fan-of-jets-safety-calvin-pryor/

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Calvin Pryor will be on an NFL roster in 2017 and 2018.  The guy played like 80% of the snaps last year.  You guys like to blame certain players, but not being Eric Berry does not equate with out of the NFL. I wonder how long it will take to turn on Adams and/or Maye.

He'll be a benchwarmer making the league minimum for 2 more seasons

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets S Calvin Pryor, the subject of trade speculation, hasn't been spotted at today's first OTA practice. These are voluntary practices, but it behooves him to attend. The Jets drafted safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye in the first two rounds, putting Pryor's roster spot up in the air. Maye, still recovering from a broken arm last fall, is limited in practice.

>    http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

-- The New York Jets sent a message to Calvin Pryor last month by drafting two safeties. On Tuesday, Pryor may have delivered a return message.

He didn't show up for the first day of OTA practices.

There was no immediate word on why Pryor decided to skip opening day -- technically, the sessions are voluntary -- but he didn't cast himself in a flattering light.

Coach Todd Bowles didn't want to discuss Pryor's absence, refusing to shed any light on the matter.

"It's voluntary," he said. "They don't have to tell me anything."

No, they don't, but players often send word to their coach if they can't make it due to a conflict or a personal reason. Bowles made it seem like he hadn't heard anything from Pryor, a former first-round pick whose value has plummeted.

Six days ago, Pryor posted a message on Instagram that said, "They thinking it's over for me. ... s---, really just getting started."

It's not clear who he meant by "they." Perhaps it was the Jets, who tried to trade Pryor during the draft. They picked Jamal Adams in the first round, a well-received move. In fact, Pryor congratulated Adams on Twitter. On Day 2, they stunned everybody by picking another safety, Marcus Maye, whom they gave a "super high grade," defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said Tuesday.

There was no congratulatory tweet by Pryor.

Then, a couple of days later, the Jets declined to exercise the fifth-year option in Pryor's rookie contract, meaning he's a free agent after the season. Clearly, he's not part of their long-term plans. The question is whether he's a short-term fit. If they can't find a trade partner, they could release him before the start of the season. They'd have to eat his $1.6 million base salary, which is guaranteed but hardly prohibitive.In practice, Adams, Maye and holdover Rontez Miles worked in a three-safety rotation, with Adams and Maye getting plenty of reps together. They're the safety tandem of the future and, quite possibly, the present.

The big question is whether Pryor will be part of the present, too.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68913/jets-former-no-1-pick-calvin-pryor-roster-spot-in-jeopardy-a-no-show

Archived