^^^The official 2017 NFL Draft Day Thread^^^

InstantClassic

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both the safeties they drafted have interchangeable safety skill sets. Both the WR's they drafted are WCO fits. Both the corners they drafted are tall, athletic dudes with upside who should excel in press coverage.

You can definitely quibble with stuff in this draft. Plenty of it. But it's clear they have types and a bit of a plan which is nice at least. Now whether or not the types are going to be effective or the the plan is good, I don't know. But it's going to be interesting to see how it goes.

This roster was terrible aside from the DL heading into this draft. Have to start the rebuild somewhere.

They decided to draft 4 DB's in a quality secondary draft as a team that was horrific on the back end last year. No issue with that.

This is also a team that's trying to develop a young QB - either now or down the road. Good to try to help the young QB - ideally you want to keep him upright but having a good group of pass catchers is nice too. This OL class sucked - so they drafted some pass catchers. Hopefully we have a stable of competent young wideouts between these guys, Enunwa, Peake, Smith, and the UDFA's. And Leggett is a start at TE.

The young RB seems solid and could get some opportunities. Undersized pass rushers with motors have succeeded before.

Got an extra 5 for next year too. Definitely not a perfect draft - but we'll see. Hopefully it's a decent start to the rebuild.

I also kind of like that there's probably going to be some year one impact but secondary guys and receivers take some time. So hopefully there's some promise in the midst of a rough year.

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

That's not good enough for me personally. This is why when people talk about Glennon and his pricetag I sit with a look on my face like "We just paid McCown 6 million after just finishing paying Fitzpatrick 12 million". 

Hey, we all get you like Glennon. But I will let someone else $15m be that experiment. THAT would have been a fools folly.

i love they didn't take a qb, you have to believe it is an endorsement of hackenberg and to a lesser extent, petty.

Interesting is Mac stated he takes a QB every draft until he feels he has a FQB on his roster....hmmm.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Kimberley A. Martin (@KMart_LI)

4/29/17, 4:33 PM

Clark said #Jets see him as a CB all the way. Added, team told him during his visit that they need a big press corner -- and he could be it

Jeremy Clark -- who tore his ACL last year -- said he's about "75 percent" right now 

Just now, nicg4360 said:

Interesting is Mac stated he takes a QB every draft until he feels he has a FQB on his roster....hmmm.

they had a chance to take every qb, a qb in every round.  they scouted them heavily.  they could have taken peterman in the 5th.  they must quietly love hack's progress or are in full tank mode

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Kimberley A. Martin (@KMart_LI)

4/29/17, 4:33 PM

Clark said #Jets see him as a CB all the way. Added, team told him during his visit that they need a big press corner -- and he could be it

Jeremy Clark -- who tore his ACL last year -- said he's about "75 percent" right now 

he's a player.  good late round pick with upside.

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Too many injuries, too many fumbles and off field concerns. No thanks. 

The only thing that worried me about cook is the rumor that he has a huge drinking problem.  If that is something that holds some merit, then I understand passing on him. 

I really wanted him though.

they had a chance to take every qb, a qb in every round.  they scouted them heavily.  they could have taken peterman in the 5th.  they must quietly love hack's progress or are in full tank mode

I really wanted Peterman...seemed like a Mac kinda QB to. I think he will be a steal for the bills. I really hope Hackenberg benefitted from his redshirt year which is not incomprehensible. They also may cover a qb that they know will go undrafted.

[A] draft class, player/talent wise. 

[B/B+] is a personal grade from me.  Passing on Cook in the second is gonna be a rough pill to swallow. 

Hope that these aren't grades that get lower over time because this draft was a pretty important one.

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Then in that case, you should be equally as concerned with paying McCown 6 million. 

It's not okay to pay a trash QB 12 million or 6 million. 

To me, $6m is less than $12m, so I consider that less of a travesty. That, and there was not a better option.

24 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will just suggest, that if Macc did not get equal value trading down out of 6, this site, as a majority, would have gone ballistic. 

That said, I don't think the Chiefs felt the need to move above 10 to get Mahomes. Although, I will concede that I hear that the Giants were trying to get up for Mahomes. That does not mean it was at the Jets spot though.

Peter King had it that the Texans were ver much "in" on Watson before the draft. He stated that they felt he would go "early teens" though. So, unsure if the Texans felt the need to go up to 6.

I am just wondering what th trade partners could have been for the Jets. I would have LOVED proper value there as well.

Some may have, but I think the notion that people are being unfair to Macc is overblown.  This is year 3 and we are one of the worst, if not the worst team in the league, to the point where the #1 overall pick next year is realistic.  Two drafts have failed to add much in the way of talent.  Our QBs are McNown, Hack, and Petty.  We have no pass-rusher, no left tackle, not one single offensive playmaker.  Simply put, the team is headed to year 3 and is at best no better, and at worst, worse than the team he took over from Idzik.  People who think Macc has been terrible have a ton of evidence to support their point of view.

Half azz draft by Mac  C  could have been special.

1- Adams A+  Leader. 2nd best player in draft. absolute steal. No Brainer.

2- Mayes D Terrible waste of a pick. Mac like

3- Stewart  C+  Another wasted pick to use so high IMO. We have a gazillon WR's

4- Hansen B+ Solid pick. This kid could be special.

5- Legget B decent pick since we desperately needed a TE but would have preferred Everrett

5- Donahue C good engine but too early to draft and total project.

6- McGuire B Not bad skill set but again we could have had Cook ....SMH

6- Clark B Nice pick great potential

6- Reed F    WTF pick a guy whos not even on draftboard SMH

We really compromised on RB, TE, Edge, WR on second thought I give this draft a D+ should have been so much better. Takinh mayes really screwed up this draft and the  quality of players taken. Mac is a horrible evaluator/GM

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Some may have, but I think the notion that people are being unfair to Macc is overblown.  This is year 3 and we are one of the worst, if not the worst team in the league, to the point where the #1 overall pick next year is realistic.  Two drafts have failed to add much in the way of talent.  Our QBs are McNown, Hack, and Petty.  We have no pass-rusher, no left tackle, not one single offensive playmaker.  Simply put, the team is headed to year 3 and is at best no better, and at worst, worse than the team he took over from Idzik.  People who think Macc has been terrible have a ton of evidence to support their point of view.

No doubt, but he is here today, and we have to try and understand what he did this weekend. That is all we can grade him on this weekend. 

He would have been skewed if he did not get fair value for #6. Just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

[A] draft class, player/talent wise. 

[B/B+] is a personal grade from me.  Passing on Cook in the second is gonna be a rough pill to swallow. 

Hope that these aren't grades that get lower over time because this draft was a pretty important one.

/bookmarks post

//sets calendar reminder for eighteen months from now

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Done and Done.

NFL Draft 2017:
1st Round (#6 Overall):  Jamal Adams, SS, LSU, 6'0" 214

2nd Round (#38):  Marcus Maye, SS, Florida, 6'0" 210
3rd Round (#79):  ArDarius Stewart, WR, Alabama, 5'11" 204

4th Round (#141):  Chad Hansen, WR, California, 6'2" 202
5th Round (#150):  Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson, 6'5" 258
5th Round (#181):  Dylan Donahue, DL, West Georgia, 6'3" 248
6th Round (#188):  Elijah McGuire, RB, Louisiana-Lafayette, 5'10" 214  
6th Round (#191):  Traded for a 2018 5th Round Pick

6th Round (#197):    Jeremy Clark, CB, Michigan, 6'3" 220
6th Round (#204):  Derrick Jones, CB, Mississippi, 6'2" 188

Honestly, it's tolerable.

If we had drafted QB Peterman ~ where we drafted the special teamer Donahue, I'd have been much happier overall.

But two CB's, two Safeties, 2 WR's, a TE, a RB and a Special Teamer tackler, isn't a bad haul.  

If they work out.

What do you do if you draft a QB?  Cut Petty?  I'm not objecting to that, but I sure would object to the 4 QB nonsense again.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

To me, $6m is less than $12m, so I consider that less of a travesty. That, and there was not a better option.

Then that logic is the reason why making a comment on Glennon and his payday cant be taken seriously. 

It doesnt matter if 6 is less than 12. We paid Fitz money and said that his qualities was being a veteran that can mentor the young guys. When push came to shove he showed his true colors by throwing the front office and ownership under the bus during a press conference. We then turn around and pay a guy 6 million, once again, because of some ridiculous punchline statement such as "a mentor to young QB's" that fans love to eat up and regurgitate. 

Mike Glennon is better than both McCown and Fitzpatrick. I wasnt on board to giving Glennon anything more than 12 million, but when you have an opportunity to draft a guy like a Nathan Peterman, you do so when you have a current blackhole in Hackenberg, a clear bench player in Petty, and a guy who's robbing the team in McCown. 

Nothing the Jets are doing is a better option. McCown's 6 million should be more of a concern than Glennon's whatever million. 

Archived