Scott Van Pelt Just Asked

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Can't be true....Jets fans have said this picked sucked because he was a safety.

I think not trading back HAS to be seen as a failure, period. 6 picks will not do enough to start the turnaround. We need to unload Sheldon or someone else for picks on day 2 or 3.

Have to. Another awful, brutal schedule awaits and I don't see one easy win on the schedule.

Just now, tfine said:

Just root for another team...it's that simple

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

OMG I wish. But it's not simple. It's really hard. I live outside DC and try to root for the Wizards and Capitals. Decent enough franchises. But I really don't care. My fanship lives and dies with this godawful cursed inguinal hernia of a franchise. So no, it's not simple. 

24 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

I think not trading back HAS to be seen as a failure, period. 6 picks will not do enough to start the turnaround. We need to unload Sheldon or someone else for picks on day 2 or 3.

Have to. Another awful, brutal schedule awaits and I don't see one easy win on the schedule.

Good. Why would you want easy games? You want this team to go 7-9 next year? The harder the schedule the better the chance with pick  number 1 next year. Get with the program!

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Who the best pick in the draft was.  Gruden's answer was Jamal Adams.  He said it wasn't even close.

It's not really about Gruden. You can pretty much ask any expert or watch the tape of the kid and you will realize it was a great pick....even though we needed offense. 

If Adams has a 90pct chance of success, you don't take OJ Howard if you think he has a 70pct chance of success. That's what the draft is all about. Especially with the first pick. Reaching for players is usually a mistake unless its for a QB or if you are one player away from being a SB contender. 

In the Jets position, they can't afford to pass up on Adams. Now if we had taken Lattimore over Howard then I could see the complaints because to me they are both equally likely to succeed so you go with offense. But this probably wasn't even close between Adams and every other player on the board (let alone on offense). 

The people that are complaining are completely absurd.  This kid is a flat out baller who shouldn't have been there at 6.  Yeah we didn't pick a QB yeah we didn't go offense and I personally don't care.  The absolute bottom line of this all is that no we didn't improve our offense but we improved our TEAM.  Our team got better tonight and that's all that matters.  The people complaining about this pick need to sit back and appreciate the fact that we got an absolute steal.  This isn't a wasted pick this kid is going to be special.  Our defense at every level now has guys like Wilkerson and Leo on the defensive line.  They have Lee who I think will take a major jump in year 2 along with Jenkins and Mauldin and now our secondary has Claiborne and Jamal Adams!  The defense is going to be stout and the secondary is no longer going to be our weakness.

The offense will get some love we just need to do it in the appropriate spots.  We're picking a MINIMUM of three times tomorrow and that's where all the value as far as offensive players are.  We're definitely getting our TE and either a WR or offense line help.  Hell I'd be ecstatic if we somehow land Cook if he's still there.  I'm sure we tried like hell to trade back guys but it didn't happen.  Therefore we stayed at 6 and most most definitely went with the best value.  This kid is going to be the leader of our defense for years and he's going to fix a secondary that gave up way too many big plays.  He is clean on the field and he is clean off of the field.  

Lets not try to dog this pick and actual support the team and it's decisions.  This pick could have been a lot worse.  Trust me.  If we can trade Sheldon or Decker or Pryor our picks tomorrow could easily be...

2) Dalvin Cook - if it's Cook he'll have a chip on his shoulder for slipping out of the 1st round and he's an immediate game changer and someone the defenses will need to gameplan against.  

3a) Gerald Everett/Jake Butt - we're going to get a TE it's just a matter of who.  There are still top notch TE's available.

3b) Pat Elflein/Ethan Pocic - with either of these guys it's an instant upgrade for the offensive line who we can plug in from day one.

3c) Teez Tabor/Cameron Sutton - somewhere in the 3rd they'll grab a CB it's just a matter of where in the 3rd based off of where the value is at the time we're picking.

I still think we can end tomorrow with 3 starters on the offensive side of the ball who'll all be ready to contribute from day one.  That's with us getting an absolute stud safety with the 6.  Think positive guys.

PS:  I know our receiving unit is looking good with lots of potential with Enunwa/Anderson/Smith/Marshall/Peake but I would absolutely love if they find a way to get Zay Jones on this team.  It's going to be tough with us absolutely needing to draft a TE/CB/OLB in Day 2 though.  If we can't get more picks I think our 3 picks tomorrow have to be used on those positions.  I pray we can trade and get one or two more picks to be able to get another offensive weapon and maybe some oline help.  Today is going to be an awesome day.

6 hours ago, Dcronin said:

Aside from the obvious you need a partner to make a trade....the Jets added a quality player.  One with a solid work ethic.  He also is a solid citizen.  This is a trifecta in my mind.  All necessary to turn this group of underperformers around.

7 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's not really about Gruden. You can pretty much ask any expert or watch the tape of the kid and you will realize it was a great pick....even though we needed offense. 

If Adams has a 90pct chance of success, you don't take OJ Howard if you think he has a 70pct chance of success. That's what the draft is all about. Especially with the first pick. Reaching for players is usually a mistake unless its for a QB or if you are one player away from being a SB contender. 

In the Jets position, they can't afford to pass up on Adams. Now if we had taken Lattimore over Howard then I could see the complaints because to me they are both equally likely to succeed so you go with offense. But this probably wasn't even close between Adams and every other player on the board (let alone on offense). 

Not to mention OJ Howard fell to 19th, so he would have been a serious reach there.

54 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

Aside from the obvious you need a partner to make a trade....the Jets added a quality player.  One with a solid work ethic.  He also is a solid citizen.  This is a trifecta in my mind.  All necessary to turn this group of underperformers around.

Absolutely right. I was not happy that we didn't trade down, and wasn't hoping for a safety, but this kid is not a SS, and his 40 time was not anywhere near his playing speed. That makes him a verygood player at a position of need.

What makes this a great pick is the fact that we have all world talent all over this defense but we lack communication, focus, and urgency. This kid may very well improve every player on the field. Especially Pryor, Lee, and the corners. Think about what that is worth. 

It's nice and all that Gruden likes the pick and all the blog experts like Adams. Great. But, there is a context here; the Jets have used two of their last four first rounders on safeties. A talentless team with no prospects at the most important positions in football has used two of four first rounders on safeties. And one of those picks was the sixth overall. 

This is just stuff that consistently competitive franchises don't do. You have to fill positions that matter first, and it doesn't seem like the Jets ever have any interest in doing that no matter who is in charge. Three of their last four first rounders have been two safeties and an ILB. I mean come on, are we really praising this crap? 

12 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

If Jamal Adams makes it to the Hall of Fame, Tom Shane will be calling him a bust on JN on the day of his induction. 

"Tackle Compiler whose picks all came off tipped balls. Overrated pos. Williams made 3 pro bowls before his injury, he would have never got hurt if on the Jets, that was a freak accident. jets suck TLF"

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

It's nice and all that Gruden likes the pick and all the blog experts like Adams. Great. But, there is a context here; the Jets have used two of their last four first rounders on safeties. A talentless team with no prospects at the most important positions in football has used two of four first rounders on safeties. And one of those picks was the sixth overall. 

This is just stuff that consistently competitive franchises don't do. You have to fill positions that matter first, and it doesn't seem like the Jets ever have any interest in doing that no matter who is in charge. Three of their last four first rounders have been two safeties and an ILB. I mean come on, are we really praising this crap? 

With that logic we would have passed on Leonard WIlliams and taken Kevin White or Beasley or Flowers. In fact, this pick is more of a no-brainer than Williams because we didn't "need" Williams, we needed a Safety. Sure we needed offense more and I wanted Howard, but for every Vic Beasley there are more Kevin Whites and Ereck Flowers that bust out. 

We  have 3 picks today. Let's hope we go offense with at least 2 of the picks. 

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jon Gruden once drafted Marques Tuiasasopo in the second round.

Reminds me of what Gruden said before the the 2013 Draft... EJ Manuel was the kind of QB you want to lead to lead your football team.

(I expect he meant back to the locker room after the game).

Great coach, folksy talking head for television, made 2001 People magazine's list of the 50 Most Beautiful People...a draft genius, Gruden is not.

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If you consider them sucking next year anyway (which...thumbs up btw) and that they didn't waste it on a QB, I'm not really in a position to bitch about it too much. 

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jon Gruden once drafted Marques Tuiasasopo in the second round.

I pointed that out a few days ago when he was praising one of the over-hyped QBs in this draft. He talks up every QB like they are a future HOFer. Completely worthless. But the Adams talk wasn't the same. It's not your typical "I Love every QB" BS. He made it clear that Adams was his highest rated player in the draft. 

18 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think the compounding mistakes over time can easily cloud our view of a current pick.  Just because we've failed miserably in the past to build the roster doesn't make THIS pick a bad one, necessarily.  The Leonard Williams pick was a good one too.  I noticed you didn't list him amongst the failures, even though you disliked the pick at the time. 

Now, I DO buy the idea that we should have tried like hell to move down, and can't understand the logic that says there were no trade partners available.  But Adams is going to be an excellent player, and we need as many of those as we can get.  Sadly, it's been impossible for this regime, and previous ones, to get excellent players without using premium picks on them.  And even then we still end up with Gholston's and Dee Milliner's. 

It's a frustrating history for sure.  But I'm not pissed at this pick. 

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Good.  Suck for Sam in full force!

Meanwhile, Buffalo and Cleveland, by trading back, each have TWO 2018 1st round picks. Unless the Jets wind up with the worst record in the NFL, either of those teams will be able to move in front of the Jets to get the unicorn.  Those two teams getting a pair of extra 1st rounders puts a real dent in the "Fold for Darnold" theory.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Meanwhile, Buffalo and Cleveland, by trading back, each have TWO 2018 1st round picks. Unless the Jets wind up with the worst record in the NFL, either of those teams will be able to move in front of the Jets to get the unicorn.  Those two teams getting a pair of extra 1st rounders puts a real dent in the "Fold for Darnold" theory.

Do you really discount the possibility we can't be the worst team in the NFL next year?  Our QB's are McCown, Hack and Petty.  It's a very real possibility/likelihood.  Especially since we just took a "freaking safety" at 6, who can't win games on his own. 

No trade ups needed if you're # 1. 

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

it won't matter when we go 0-16 like many here apparently think we're about to do.

Archived