Adams is more than a "box safety"

AFJF

I don't like the pick and I'm not defending the pick, but if you're gonna' rip the pick, do it by saying things that are true instead of complaining because they drafted a "box safety"

I agree. Def not ripping the pick because of the player. Dude is a freak, but we had the pick of the litter on offense and went defense. 

The jets need to score points and need play makers to do that. If Adams was a turnover machine then I'd be on board, but that's not his thing. Great player, still think we should have went offense

1 minute ago, tfine said:

So...2nd best player in the draft falls to us........pick an offensive player...

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

That's why you can't rip this pick. Watch the tape.. The kid is special. Plus he has the measurables. He was a steal at 6. Plus we needed a safety so it's not like we took another DL.

With that said, they need to go offense two out of the next three. Would love Cook, but we don't do exciting players. 

21 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I agree. Def not ripping the pick because of the player. Dude is a freak, but we had the pick of the litter on offense and went defense. 

The jets need to score points and need play makers to do that. If Adams was a turnover machine then I'd be on board, but that's not his thing. Great player, still think we should have went offense

You took the words out of my mouth

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Yet nobody offered to trade up for him.  Most Safeties aren't game changers. This kid turns into Ed Reed I will eat my I phone. Again. 

I think they did receive calls but Mac wanted him from the beginning and turned down the offers.

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Here's my take: Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL, but after watching so many drafts of the Jets' head scratching picks, I'm now interested in the safest picks. Similar to Leo, Adams was regarded as the best player in the entire draft. I'm gonna get laughed at for this, but I don't care if we take a LB or CB or whatever with our 2nd pick as long as they truly feel he's a safer pick than others. 

I'm tired of projects that may or may not turn out or players that are extremely raw and need coaching. Just draft players that can play! 

6 hours ago, varjet said:

Other teams overweight offense because of how the rules changes.

The Jets then pick the higher rated defensive player available.

But if offense is so important, maybe how players are rated needs to adjust to it.

Just upgrade with the picks you get and move the players that have to go

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That's why you can't rip this pick. Watch the tape.. The kid is special. Plus he has the measurables. He was a steal at 6. Plus we needed a safety so it's not like we took another DL.

With that said, they need to go offense two out of the next three. Would love Cook, but we don't do exciting players. 

Cook:

NFL teams will be interested in his medical checks, though, because of the hamstring issues he had throughout the 2015 season and the three shoulder surgeries he's had since high school. Cook tore his rotator cuff in high school, then tore the front part of his labrum in 2014, and the back part of the labrum in 2016. He's also had run-ins with the law, starting in high school (robbery in 2009, charges dropped; firing and possessing a weapon on school property in 2010, charges drooped) and then again in 2015, where he was charged with misdemeanor battery outside a bar (found not guilty).

7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Every player drafted from #4 to #10 was on offense...except the Jets' pick. This means Adams was the clear value pick on defense, and teams specifically looking for a stud on defense would be pushing themselves out of the way with sweetheart offers to trade up with the Jets.

Every year there's a shiny new excuse about how the "value" move for the Jets was to draft a prospect on defense. Every single ****ing year since 2010, and only once (Sanchez, lol, 8 years ago) from 2007-2017. Even the Keller pick in 2008 doesn't really count, since that was just a slight trade-up from 36 to 30 (and GB then drafted Jordy Nelson in our original slot :bag:).

It's not to say they were all bad picks - they clearly weren't - and judging what virtually everyone is saying, I'm sure Adams will be a solid player at worst (and may very well be a pro bowler multiple times). The thing is this: the worst roster in football, that doesn't put points on the board, plus an excellent safety, is still the worst roster in football that doesn't put points on the board.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Every player drafted from #4 to #10 was on offense...except the Jets' pick. This means he was the clear value pick on defense, and teams specifically looking for a stud on defense would be pushing themselves out of the way with sweetheart offers to trade up with the Jets.

Every year there's a shiny new excuse about how the value move for the Jets was to draft a prospect on defense. Every single ****ing year since 2010, and only once (Sanchez, lol, 8 years ago) from 2007-2017. Even the Keller pick in 2008 doesn't really count, since that was just a slight trade-up from 36 to 30 (and GB then drafted Jordy Nelson in our original slot :bag:).

It's not to say they were all bad picks, and judging what virtually everyone is saying, I'm sure Adams will be a solid player at worst (and may very well be a pro bowler multiple times). The thing is the worst roster in football that doesn't put points on the board, plus an excellent safety, is still the worst roster in football that doesn't put points on the board.

Adams may be a very good player. Not  sure though how year after year you can pass up offensive talent when the offense is simply the worst in the NFL every year. 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

4.56 40 time is awful. In a loaded LSU defense he tackles people. Great. This is Darron Lee all over again.

He ran under 4.4 at his pro day. Watch his film. He is not slow, and not a just a"Box" player. He played FS most of the time. Played man in the slot, covered TEs, and blitzed. Gave up one catch over 20 yards on a miscommunication. He's also the QB of a defense. Comunication was the biggest problem we had last year. He may even get CP in the right coverage, get him focused, and watching film. 

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Here's my take: Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL, but after watching so many drafts of the Jets' head scratching picks, I'm now interested in the safest picks. Similar to Leo, Adams was regarded as the best player in the entire draft. I'm gonna get laughed at for this, but I don't care if we take a LB or CB or whatever with our 2nd pick as long as they truly feel he's a safer pick than others. 

I'm tired of projects that may or may not turn out or players that are extremely raw and need coaching. Just draft players that can play! 

I can respect that, but like you said...nothing is guaranteed in the NFL, that also goes for the term "safe picks"

34 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Every player drafted from #4 to #10 was on offense...except the Jets' pick. This means Adams was the clear value pick on defense, and teams specifically looking for a stud on defense would be pushing themselves out of the way with sweetheart offers to trade up with the Jets.

Every year there's a shiny new excuse about how the "value" move for the Jets was to draft a prospect on defense. Every single ****ing year since 2010, and only once (Sanchez, lol, 8 years ago) from 2007-2017. Even the Keller pick in 2008 doesn't really count, since that was just a slight trade-up from 36 to 30 (and GB then drafted Jordy Nelson in our original slot :bag:).

It's not to say they were all bad picks - they clearly weren't - and judging what virtually everyone is saying, I'm sure Adams will be a solid player at worst (and may very well be a pro bowler multiple times). The thing is this: the worst roster in football, that doesn't put points on the board, plus an excellent safety, is still the worst roster in football that doesn't put points on the board.

This. Totally this

7 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Yet nobody offered to trade up for him.  Most Safeties aren't game changers. This kid turns into Ed Reed I will eat my I phone. Again. 

Based on the other moves that were made it looks like the going rate for #6 was something around 1st, 3rd, + 2018 #1.   For a rebuilding team that is a serious haul but rather than truly rebuild and add talent at multiple positions we get a Safety.   You don't game plan a safety.     

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

It's not the worst approach period but especially hen you're the Jets.  I viewed Adams, Foster and Howard as 3 of the safest picks in this draft.  Adams is a do all safety, there is no doubt about that. I keep saying it but it bares repeating, this reminds me of Williams all over again.  Sitting at 6 and a player you didnt think would be there falls in your lap. Yeah, it's boring, redundant and depressing that the Jets when S and D again, but Adams is the real deal. 

You have a potential year in year out probowlers now on your DL and in your Secondary and for a sh*tty team with no talent, that's a good thing. 

Just now, JiF said:

It's not the worst approach period but especially hen you're the Jets.  I viewed Adams, Foster and Howard as 3 of the safest picks in this draft.  Adams is a do all safety, there is no doubt about that. I keep saying it but it bares repeating, this reminds me of Williams all over again.  Sitting at 6 and a player you didnt think would be there falls in your lap. Yeah, it's boring, redundant and depressing that the Jets when S and D again, but Adams is the real deal. 

You have a potential year in year out probowlers now on your DL and in your Secondary and for a sh*tty team with no talent, that's a good thing. 

Quite agree - sometimes the smart move is to make the obvious move, and take the gift-wrapped guy that just dropped to you. Teams like the Steelers and Ravens do that all the time, I always hear how they "let the draft come to them".

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

If Maccagnan was actually getting offers to trade back and knew he didnt like any of the QB's...the Adams pick is absolutely absurd there. Just look at the SS's around the league...who even moves the needle?

Considered our bust rate on draft picks, I just want him to be an NFL player. Y'all are whining about sh*t that's irrelevant to a bottom franchise, otherwise. I said it yesterday, just get NFL players. Position doesn't matter that much right now.

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If Maccagnan was actually getting offers to trade back and knew he didnt like any of the QB's...the Adams pick is absolutely absurd there. Just look at the SS's around the league...who even moves the needle?

You keep calling him a SS, I think he's much more than that.

I wanted Watson but knew they werent going that route.  I didnt think Adams would be there and all of a sudden he was and it was clear the Jets were taking him.  Mac said he didnt think he would be there before the draft, many people had Adams as the best defender in the draft...this was not a stupid pick, thats just silly talk.  Yes, he moves the needle.  Did you see how many blown coverage big plays the Jets had last year?  I think Adams can stop that day 1. 

Again, he was a safe pick who could be an all pro player. 

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Considered our bust rate on draft picks, I just want him to be an NFL player. Y'all are whining about sh*t that's irrelevant to a bottom franchise, otherwise. I said it yesterday, just get NFL players. Position doesn't matter that much right now.

I'm sorta basically agreeing with this. 

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Exactly.  This team is terrible void of any elite talent and the Jets just added a player who could be an all-pro.  Y

Just now, JiF said:

You keep calling him a SS, I think he's much more than that.

I wanted Watson but knew they werent going that route.  I didnt think Adams would be there and all of a sudden he was and it was clear the Jets were taking him.  Mac said he didnt think he would be there before the draft, many people had Adams as the best defender in the draft...this was a stupid pick, that just silly talk.  Yes, he moves the needle.  Did you see how many blown coverage big plays the Jets had last year?  I think Adams can stop that D1. 

Again, he was a safe pick who could be an all pro player. 

Just from the combine numbers he's not athletic enough to  play single high safety or line up and cover the slot or good tight ends. Speed/agility matters. 4.56 40 is ok, 6.96 3c is meh for 6 overall. Guys like Berry, Thomas...even Eric Weddle are better athletes. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Just from the combine numbers he's not athletic enough to  play single high safety or line up and cover the slot or good tight ends. Speed/agility matters. 4.56 40 is ok, 6.96 3c is meh for 6 overall. Guys like Berry, Thomas...even Eric Weddle are better athletes. 

He ran a 4.38 at his pro day . 

Archived