Drafting Safeties isn't a bad idea....

Jet_Engine1

When you have a functional NFL Quarterback, a Left Tackle, an Edge Rusher, Solid Offensive weapons, and decent Corners...

Then, sure, Safety is an important position to fill. The Jets have NOTHING that even comes close to an effective NFL Roster. Nothing. Their Offensive line is a patchwork of late picks, "potential", and castoffs. They still LITERALLY do not have a single NFL caliber Tight End. They haven't had an edge rusher worth talking about since John Abraham left. The Receiving corps is a bunch of complimentary role players. And the Cornerback collection is a mess....

But drafting TWO safeties in the top two rounds? That's something you do to an almost finished, nearly polished roster. I get drafting talent over need, but this team is bereft of talent across the goddamned board, never mind at spots that aren't "value/premium" positions. 

This is gross, abject stupidity and waste. They are setting, no they are GUARANTEEING that their Quarterbacks fail, and are putting NOTHING in position for whoever winds up being the next guy to fail at being the Jets Quarterback of the future.

What a joke. It's like they are doing this to spite the fans....Big Mac and the grinning fool will be long gone, and we'll get to watch the next hapless Management team try to recover from this mess.

Individually, yes, these guys might be good players, Adams might be an elite player...But not at a position you build a team around. And then drafting Another one in the next round? After spending TWO first round picks in the last 4 years at the position?

That's how you get fired.

We are in rebuilding mode, and you can't dictate the way the draft falls.  Other than 3-4 DE, we need an upgrade every position.  I like both players, Adams is the best prospect at his position in years and Maye is a very good, versatile safety.  

We blew up the team this year, and its not like we're going to be good next year.  Every team has to start two safeties.  

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

We are in rebuilding mode, and you can't dictate the way the draft falls.  Other than 3-4 DE, we need an upgrade every position.  I like both players, Adams is the best prospect at his position in years and Maye is a very good, versatile safety.  

We blew up the team this year, and its not like we're going to be good next year.  Every team has to start two safeties.  

How the draft fell? Are you kidding me?!?! Willis and Bowser waere there. Take a passrusher. Cook kamara everett shaheen etc were playmakers on O sitting there. Add something that can build a team, not a unit. And who cares a great secondary will still get torched without a passrush.

14 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

When you have a functional NFL Quarterback, a Left Tackle, an Edge Rusher, Solid Offensive weapons, and decent Corners...

Then, sure, Safety is an important position to fill. The Jets have NOTHING that even comes close to an effective NFL Roster. Nothing. Their Offensive line is a patchwork of late picks, "potential", and castoffs. They still LITERALLY do not have a single NFL caliber Tight End. They haven't had an edge rusher worth talking about since John Abraham left. The Receiving corps is a bunch of complimentary role players. And the Cornerback collection is a mess....

But drafting TWO safeties in the top two rounds? That's something you do to an almost finished, nearly polished roster. I get drafting talent over need, but this team is bereft of talent across the goddamned board, never mind at spots that aren't "value/premium" positions. 

This is gross, abject stupidity and waste. They are setting, no they are GUARANTEEING that their Quarterbacks fail, and are putting NOTHING in position for whoever winds up being the next guy to fail at being the Jets Quarterback of the future.

What a joke. It's like they are doing this to spite the fans....Big Mac and the grinning fool will be long gone, and we'll get to watch the next hapless Management team try to recover from this mess.

Individually, yes, these guys might be good players, Adams might be an elite player...But not at a position you build a team around. And then drafting Another one in the next round? After spending TWO first round picks in the last 4 years at the position?

It's a huge disappointment that you wrote all these words when I was hoping this thread just said:

FOR ME TO POOP ON

8 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Maye was a consensus 4-5th round pick.

**** the Jets

I don't think that's accurate.  

4 minutes ago, IntoTheGreen said:

How the draft fell? Are you kidding me?!?! Willis and Bowser waere there. Take a passrusher. Cook kamara everett shaheen etc were playmakers on O sitting there. Add something that can build a team, not a unit. And who cares a great secondary will still get torched without a passrush.

Cook is the only one I worry we might regret, but his off-the-field issues are exactly the type of thing we can't afford right now.  If he can stay clean, we'll regret it.

Other than that, I think Maye is a better prospect than all of those players.  We need everything, including two safeties.  We are not fixing everything on our team this year, that would be impossible.  We got two day one starters, and Adams could be really special.  

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Is that true? 

Holy crap I thought it was inconceivably moronic while believing we took a legitimate 2nd round safety.

Read it and weep. PFF Scouting report:

1. Marcus Maye, Florida 

Why he’s on the list: Maye is a good box safety who can pack a punch as a tackler in the running game while keeping up with tight ends in coverage. He’s a good underneath coverage defender who has done his best work against the run, so scheme usage is crucial.

What we’d like to see: Maye isn’t great when playing more of a center field role and while he graded well in coverage, there are some ugly plays in there as well, especially when isolated against wide receivers. Better play in those areas will make him a more attractive prospect

9 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Read it and weep. PFF Scouting report:

1. Marcus Maye, Florida 

Why he’s on the list: Maye is a good box safety who can pack a punch as a tackler in the running game while keeping up with tight ends in coverage. He’s a good underneath coverage defender who has done his best work against the run, so scheme usage is crucial.

What we’d like to see: Maye isn’t great when playing more of a center field role and while he graded well in coverage, there are some ugly plays in there as well, especially when isolated against wide receivers. Better play in those areas will make him a more attractive prospect

**** these guys.

I have a fire for you to put out.

6 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Easily? Didn't know you had contacts in the war room

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I love these kinds of posts. Teams all around us are trading down and securing sweet compensation to do so. But, yes, we are foolish to think the Jets had the same opportunities. 

What I find most hilarious is how quickly we sent the pick in. Like we didn't even give a chance for a team to tempt us, because TB and Macc were in shock that Maye was still on the board, and we stole him.

I love these kinds of posts. Teams all around us are trading down and securing sweet compensation to do so. But, yes, we are foolish to think the Jets had the same opportunities. 

What I find most hilarious is how quickly we sent the pick in. Like we didn't even give a chance for a team to tempt us, because TB and Macc were in shock that Maye was still on the board, and we stole him.

Obviously they wanted this kid. We are all hung up on picking the same position but what is wrong wrong with picking another piece that we lack? We need help everywhere so there is no blueprint of what to get 1st unless it's a QB. If it pans out we will not have to worry about the back end of our defense for many years to come. We have Williams and Lee and hope that our corners stay healthy. Piece by piece is the way to go regardless of position.

I reading different post on the draft picks but it's funny how people/fans forget so quickly that the JETS secondary last season was being sh*tt on in every game.  no name QB's throwing bombs downfield all day long.  The 2 draft picks are not glamour picks that fans like but these are solid picks that will make a difference day 1.  Brady is still in the division, Tyrod made the JETS backfield look like swiss cheese and  don't forget we play a raiders team with a stub QB and WR this season.  just my take on the draft thus far....

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's the same thing they said about Calvin Pryor.

Ehh, I think you're just angry we took two safeties back to back, which I totally get, especially with Cook here.  I'm shocked too, but I liked both players before the draft, thought we would've gotten one of them, surprised we got both.  But no matter what, they're both better safety prospects than Pryor, with Adams its not even close.  

Just now, RedBeardedSavage said:

Ehh, I think you're just angry we took two safeties back to back, which I totally get, especially with Cook here.  I'm shocked too, but I liked both players before the draft, thought we would've gotten one of them, surprised we got both.  But no matter what, they're both better safety prospects than Pryor, with Adams its not even close.  

Oh how I wish the drafting of two safeties was the only reason. It's just one reason out of dozens. 

I knew he was a terrible GM before this draft started. Even I had no idea he was this awful.

8 minutes ago, JETSfan4life_1 said:

I reading different post on the draft picks but it's funny how people/fans forget so quickly that the JETS secondary last season was being sh*tt on in every game.  no name QB's throwing bombs downfield all day long.  The 2 draft picks are not glamour picks that fans like but these are solid picks that will make a difference day 1.  Brady is still in the division, Tyrod made the JETS backfield look like swiss cheese and  don't forget we play a raiders team with a stub QB and WR this season.  just my take on the draft thus far....

Reasons last season went in sh*tter:

1. Fitz

2. The secondary

3. Heartless, lazy bums in locker room

4. Coach lost team

5. Joewilly12

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

If you're going to double dip at safety, why not take the freak from UConn?  A combination of that guy and Adams could be really, really good.

Jets funs are nuts with their over the top nonsense.

May was and is a solid second round talent!!!

Look at this::::::

OVERVIEW

Maye lived up to his four-star recruiting status in a spectacular junior season in 2015. He was named a first-team All-American by USA Today as a 12-game starter (82 tackles, two interceptions, six pass breakups) who ranked second in the country with five forced fumbles. Unfortunately, Maye missed the last four games of the year after breaking his arm against South Carolina. League media voted him second-team All-SEC, though, for his play in the first nine weeks (50, one INT, six PBU). Maye was a starter at safety and nickel in 2014 (62 tackles, three TFL, one INT, five PBU, two FF) and contributed regularly as a true freshman the previous year (16 tackles, one TFL, one INT).

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Ready-made safety frame with muscular build and long arms. Really instinctive with above-average field vision and feel for the game. Eyes dart back and forth from quarterback to receiver. Correlates quarterback's eyes and actions to a corresponding route and gets the early jump. Plays with good pattern recognition from both man and zone. Credited with a pass breakup or interception on more than 21 percent of his targets as a starter. Has speed to burst from sideline to sideline. Rangy tackler with in-play endurance for extended chases across field. Welcomes physical aspects of position. Sheds blockers quickly. Showed improved patience and diligence as tackler. Trustworthy as last line of defense.

WEAKNESSES

Despite his instincts, credited with 10 touchdowns allowed during time at Florida. Inconsistent ball tracker. Has issues playing both ball and man down the field, and can lose feel with receiver. Tape shows some issues with hip tightness. Balance can be a little spotty and he'll fight his hips when forced to transition suddenly on combination routes. Better coming downhill than playing on his heels. Missed final three games of senior season with broken arm.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 2

NFL COMPARISON

Glover Quin

BOTTOM LINE

Interchangeable safety with the instincts of a free safety and the physicality of a box player. Thrives as a downhill player and has the instincts and speed to operate effectively from both single-high and two-deep looks. Has the physical attributes and intelligence to step into a starter's role early on and will be a strong contributor on special teams.
-Lance Zierlein

5 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

1.  If you're top 2 draft picks become "Elite" and very good players, you don't get fired.  Gettimg those types of player is kinda the point of the draft.  Especially if they fix the holes left at safety that we never fixed after Jim Leonhard and Kerry Rhodes departed.  I'm not thrilled with double dipping but if the players end up being great then you aren't going to hear complaints from people worth listening to.

2.  This regime has nothing to do with any of the past regimes picks.  Considering how Pryor has played 2 of his 3 seasons, they definitely shouldn't care about him or his.  Maccagnan will be judged in his guys.  Not Idzik's.

3.  Going into the draft, I would have said Mac was totally safe for at least 1 more year.  Now I'd say his seat is pretty warm and I'm not gonna sit here and pretend I'm totally happy with him right now.  I'll wait until the rest of the draft to decide how I feel about the class as a whole.  He made his bed and he'll have to lie in it.  I was positive that he would get a chance to pick Hack's replacement via a 1st round pick if he fails...maybe even another Head Coach...if he bombs bad though, we're looking at a GM/Coach search again next offseason.

25 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

This is not true. Several mocks had him going in 2nd round. One of them maybe Miller's, had him going to us.

Connor Hughes, a beat reporter had him going to us in the 2nd too.

Archived