This Is the draft that...

TuscanyTile2

3 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

LOL. You watching the same draft I am? While I like the WR picks there were plenty of guys available that could of contributed this year and taken some of the heat off of whoever is our starting QB available at the picks he traded. Unless he is trying to save some cap space for udfa's Mac has done poorly so far.

I know that your a savant who has kept journals of every player available to us in the draft & traveled extensively to view these prospects in person and guys like Belichick, Obrien and Andy Reed have your cell on speed dial but until these kids actually get into camp & develop so they can be evaluated your just throwing sh*t against the wall here, aren't you?

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

I know that your a savant who has kept journals of every player available to us in the draft & traveled extensively to view these prospects in person and guys like Belichick, Obrien and Andy Reed have your cell on speed dial but until these kids actually get into camp & develop so they can be evaluated your just throwing sh*t against the wall here, aren't you?

DALVIN COOK

JOE MIXON

I know your a condescending know it all who has it all figured out but that's just two guys who could contribute and were available when the Jets picked in the second round. I know they were supposedly not on the Jets board but even a guy with your pompous attitude will admit that anyone of those two could help out offensively and take some of the pressure off Hack if he is the starter or even McCown if he is in there. Not to mention the countless other guys that were there when your boy Mac traded down those numerous times. You want more? Eleflein would have looked good on the OL and also could have contributed. No need to be a savant my pontificating friend just look at the guys who were available when Mac traded out or passed up. You would have to be blind to say otherwise.

8 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

DALVIN COOK

JOE MIXON

I know your a condescending know it all who has it all figured out but that's just two guys who could contribute and were available when the Jets picked in the second round. I know they were supposedly not on the Jets board but even a guy with your pompous attitude will admit that anyone of those two could help out offensively and take some of the pressure off Hack if he is the starter or even McCown if he is in there. Not to mention the countless other guys that were there when your boy Mac traded down those numerous times. You want more? Eleflein would have looked good on the OL and also could have contributed. No need to be a savant my pontificating friend just look at the guys who were available when Mac traded out or passed up. You would have to be blind to say otherwise.

Yea because drafting RBs high has put so many teams in the Super Bowl. Mixon & Cook were probably NOT on the Jets board because they are both sorry azz excuses for human beings. Macc is trying to change the culture at Florham Park. The Jets led the league in giving up plays of 20 yards or more on defense. 

If Adams & Maye turn out to be the best safety tandem in the league you won't even remember 2 RBs were available in this draft. We're rebuilding. Even the announcers said that to Rich Eison lamenting us not REACHING for sh*tty QBs in this draft. 

Idziks drafting was so bad that Macc had to replace 1 first round guy yesterday (Pryor) and didn't even get a decent offer to trade the other 1st round azzhole in Sheldon Richardson. He's had to replace the entire WR core because Idzik missed getting one in the richest WR draft ever other than a Solid Quincy Enunwa.

The draft fell a certain way and Macc and his scouts stuck to their guns not taking troubled kids. We'll see how it plays out but to lambast him for passing on Cook or Mixon is ridiculous.

29 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Yea because drafting RBs high has put so many teams in the Super Bowl. Mixon & Cook were probably NOT on the Jets board because they are both sorry azz excuses for human beings. Macc is trying to change the culture at Florham Park. The Jets led the league in giving up plays of 20 yards or more on defense. 

If Adams & Maye turn out to be the best safety tandem in the league you won't even remember 2 RBs were available in this draft. We're rebuilding. Even the announcers said that to Rich Eison lamenting us not REACHING for sh*tty QBs in this draft. 

Idziks drafting was so bad that Macc had to replace 1 first round guy yesterday (Pryor) and didn't even get a decent offer to trade the other 1st round azzhole in Sheldon Richardson. He's had to replace the entire WR core because Idzik missed getting one in the richest WR draft ever other than a Solid Quincy Enunwa.

The draft fell a certain way and Macc and his scouts stuck to their guns not taking troubled kids. We'll see how it plays out but to lambast him for passing on Cook or Mixon is ridiculous.

You almost make it sound like he just inherited the January-2016 roster this year, and took over with no cap space at that. This is year 3 already.

• He brought in 4 new dbs (most with poor attitudes) and a well-known locker room problem WR upon arrival, so complaints about "the culture" or the dearth of talent in the secondary can be directed his way as well since Pryor was only 1/5 of that group and his own pickups were 4/5.
  • The entire culture of the team is not Mo & Sheldon, and despite drafting Leo it's been his own decision to keep both of them here as well, going on 3 seasons. A player is worth what a player is worth in trade; one can't demand unrealistic compensation no one will pay and then blame the customers. Detroit didn't even get a 7th round pick for Suh, for example, despite knowing they weren't extending him after drafting him so high.

I agree with you that I don't like drafting RBs high, but that's more round 1 (particularly high round 1) type stuff, not several picks in to round 2 if the talent is so overwhelming (though I'm going by others rating Cook that highly as a special talent). 

Also I'm not panning him for not taking a QB, but that's again because I'm relying upon the (generally poor) assessments of others who have actually seen them play. If they fail in KC/Hou, he correctly averted disaster and has an easy path to taking a QB high next year in a better class. Otherwise he should get a proportional amount of blame since either of them were there for him.

As far as the WR corps, again this is year 3 and the top 2 WRs on the team today were already here when he arrived after the 2014 season. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Yes we are rebuilding. So it makes sense to pick guys to help with that rebuilding. So why in almost every round did your boy trade down and stockpile 5th and 6th round picks? So many talented guys in this draft that you could find primo talent in those rounds? This draft was not a deep one and to trade down and not get full value in a shallow draft is not the mark of an experienced GM. If you use the value #'s assigned to draft picks Mac did not get equal value for the trades he made. Acquiring lower picks in a shallow draft like this one did nothing to help the team. You could have a second year guy starting at QB and you draft not one but TWO defensive players in the 1st two rounds. I understand the 1st pick but why not draft an OFFENSIVE player that could help your young QB in the 2nd round? It didn't have to be Mixon or Cook but there were quality guys available at OL TE and he passed on them. The man is either clueless or truly has a plan that exists in his own mind. Glaring mistakes by a naive GM.

33 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You almost make it sound like he just inherited the January-2016 roster this year, and took over with no cap space at that. This is year 3 already.

• He brought in 4 new dbs (most with poor attitudes) and a well-known locker room problem WR upon arrival, so complaints about "the culture" or the dearth of talent in the secondary can be directed his way as well since Pryor was only 1/5 of that group and his own pickups were 4/5.
  • The entire culture of the team is not Mo & Sheldon, and despite drafting Leo it's been his own decision to keep both of them here as well, going on 3 seasons. A player is worth what a player is worth in trade; one can't demand unrealistic compensation no one will pay and then blame the customers. Detroit didn't even get a 7th round pick for Suh, for example, despite knowing they weren't extending him after drafting him so high.

I agree with you that I don't like drafting RBs high, but that's more round 1 (particularly high round 1) type stuff, not several picks in to round 2 if the talent is so overwhelming (though I'm going by others rating Cook that highly as a special talent). 

Also I'm not panning him for not taking a QB, but that's again because I'm relying upon the (generally poor) assessments of others who have actually seen them play. If they fail in KC/Hou, he correctly averted disaster and has an easy path to taking a QB high next year in a better class. Otherwise he should get a proportional amount of blame since either of them were there for him.

As far as the WR corps, again this is year 3 and the top 2 WRs on the team today were already here when he arrived after the 2014 season. 

Unfortunately, Idzik failed miserably in the draft & even the players who looked good (Milliner, Pryor & Sheldon) didn't continue their rise, one got injured everytime he stepped on the field, the other should have been a 3rd rounder (Pryor), and Sheldon turned out to be a turd thug 1 strike away from being suspended! That's 3 1st round pick! You don't rebound easily missing so badly, especially without having a QB. 

Everyone knows Woody was trying to save face having Macc resign Revis. Obviously Woody wanted instant gratification again after fans suffered through 2011-2014. Based on what I've witnessed so far in what we can call the first PURGE of the Jets high priced veterans in quite some time, Macc & Bowles must have finally convinced Woody that a true rebuild was in order & it needed to be done while the Pats still dominated with Brady & Belichick.

You guys all know that Miami will chase the Pats with everything they have with Tannenbaum at the helm & fail miserably while wreaking havoc on their cap. Buffalo seems to be following the Jets in trying to rebuild. Woody will probably go to England, his brother will take the wrath of unhappy STHs but this is the right way to go. Macc drafted knowing he's gonna take his lumps developing young players & with the 2018 draft and 80 million dollars in free agency.

Hopefully the Jets field a team of hungry warriors who build something together giving the fans hope, some of them developing in front of their eyes, and making what seems like an easy win traveling to play our Jets at MetLife a smash mouth blood fest in New Jersey. If Mo is healthy, Richardon plays for a contract & Leo keeps accending as a player, it still could be the best Dline in football if someone emerges off of the edge with Greene pushing them, QBs are going to get punched in the mouth on Sunday's playing the Jets. And who knows, maybe, just maybe, we see some picks returned for TDs from our revamped, speeded up secondary? 

4 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yes we are rebuilding. So it makes sense to pick guys to help with that rebuilding. So why in almost every round did your boy trade down and stockpile 5th and 6th round picks? So many talented guys in this draft that you could find primo talent in those rounds? This draft was not a deep one and to trade down and not get full value in a shallow draft is not the mark of an experienced GM. If you use the value #'s assigned to draft picks Mac did not get equal value for the trades he made. Acquiring lower picks in a shallow draft like this one did nothing to help the team. You could have a second year guy starting at QB and you draft not one but TWO defensive players in the 1st two rounds. I understand the 1st pick but why not draft an OFFENSIVE player that could help your young QB in the 2nd round? It didn't have to be Mixon or Cook but there were quality guys available at OL TE and he passed on them. The man is either clueless or truly has a plan that exists in his own mind. Glaring mistakes by a naive GM.

Most draft reviews I've read have Leggett as tremendous value in the 5th round? Fewer Olineman were taken in the 1st 2 rounds of this draft than ever before, a telling sign that this draft did not have elite Oline talent. The Jets will probably have over 80 million in free agent dollars next year, maybe the BUY a couple guys. 2 years, 2017-2018 is the rebuild, 2019? Hopefully we're competing. I don't think you draft based on JUST NEED, meaning, filling in each empty position like there blanks & once you fill it you fill in the next one with lesser talent. The one thing I do know? Pryor SUCKED, and Gilchrist is INJURED. At least we can check off the safety position for the next 5 years. 

Now if your complaint is that you don't think Bowles can spot talent or develop it, right now I agree whole heartedly, I'm very down on this coach after what I witnessed last year, but, let's see if he's learned something & I do like Morton & Greene joining the staff. It will really come down to putting in a system that Hackenberg can thrive in, we'll see. If Morton learned anything from Sean Payton I'll be extremely encouraged.

19 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Maybe we should wait for the first snap of training camp before we start writing off our picks

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

LOL Way too logical for most here who think any player that they wanted who wasn't picked was a huge mistake.. The draft has always been a crap shoot most think that if a player was great in college he will be in the Pro's as well..:rolleyes: 

Walter Football Surprisingly Gives the Jets Draft an "A"

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php

New York Jets: A Grade 

Goals Entering the 2017 NFL Draft: The Jets happen to be in the worst shape of any team in the NFL. Like the 49ers and Browns, they are devoid of talent almost everywhere. However, they lack the cap space to do anything about it outside of the draft. With so many holes on the roster, the Jets need to trade down early and often to acquire as many rosterable players as possible.

2017 NFL Draft Accomplishments: The Jets had to move down early and often, as suggested, and that's exactly what they managed to do. General manager Mike Maccagnan did a masterful job of wheeling and dealing throughout the weekend, acquiring resources on numerous occasions. This was absolutely imperative, as Daniel Jeremiah echoed what I wrote in the goal mock prior to the draft: The Jets, at least prior to the draft, had the worst roster in the NFL.

Not only did the Jets move down many times, but they also picked up some talented players in the process. They began the weekend by selecting two talented safeties, and yes, they needed two. Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye will automatically improve one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. Meanwhle, three offensive weapons were added in ArDarius Stewart, Chad Hansen and Jordan Leggett. They were quality selections, especially Leggett, who was a steal in the fifth round.

I'm sure some will consider this a failure of a draft for the Jets because they didn't acquire a quarterback. However, that was never the plan. Charlie Campbell reported back in Jan

Unfortunately, Idzik failed miserably in the draft & even the players who looked good (Milliner, Pryor & Sheldon) didn't continue their rise, one got injured everytime he stepped on the field, the other should have been a 3rd rounder (Pryor), and Sheldon turned out to be a turd thug 1 strike away from being suspended! That's 3 1st round pick! You don't rebound easily missing so badly, especially without having a QB. 

Everyone knows Woody was trying to save face having Macc resign Revis. Obviously Woody wanted instant gratification again after fans suffered through 2011-2014. Based on what I've witnessed so far in what we can call the first PURGE of the Jets high priced veterans in quite some time, Macc & Bowles must have finally convinced Woody that a true rebuild was in order & it needed to be done while the Pats still dominated with Brady & Belichick.

You guys all know that Miami will chase the Pats with everything they have with Tannenbaum at the helm & fail miserably while wreaking havoc on their cap. Buffalo seems to be following the Jets in trying to rebuild. Woody will probably go to England, his brother will take the wrath of unhappy STHs but this is the right way to go. Macc drafted knowing he's gonna take his lumps developing young players & with the 2018 draft and 80 million dollars in free agency.

Hopefully the Jets field a team of hungry warriors who build something together giving the fans hope, some of them developing in front of their eyes, and making what seems like an easy win traveling to play our Jets at MetLife a smash mouth blood fest in New Jersey. If Mo is healthy, Richardon plays for a contract & Leo keeps accending as a player, it still could be the best Dline in football if someone emerges off of the edge with Greene pushing them, QBs are going to get punched in the mouth on Sunday's playing the Jets. And who knows, maybe, just maybe, we see some picks returned for TDs from our revamped, speeded up secondary? 

I'm certainly not arguing on behalf of Idzik's drafting prowess. It's just at some point that excuse is no longer valid after so many swings and misses of his own. It's not like his predecessor inherited a great situation himself, but he's appropriately graded on what he did himself (and what he didn't do). MM also inherited the cap flexibility to afford anybody he wanted, but that is glossed over as though it was insignificant.

The rest of Macc & Bowles "finally convincing" Woody is simply wishful thinking. The only evidence that exists suggests the opposite (using Macc's own words, that Woody lets them both do their own thing). 

We all want the same thing in the end. The bending over backwards, forwards, and sideways to rationalize MM's every misstep borders on comical, as is the framing of things as though his tenure here just began this season.

Most draft reviews I've read have Leggett as tremendous value in the 5th round? Fewer Olineman were taken in the 1st 2 rounds of this draft than ever before, a telling sign that this draft did not have elite Oline talent. The Jets will probably have over 80 million in free agent dollars next year, maybe the BUY a couple guys. 2 years, 2017-2018 is the rebuild, 2019? Hopefully we're competing. I don't think you draft based on JUST NEED, meaning, filling in each empty position like there blanks & once you fill it you fill in the next one with lesser talent. The one thing I do know? Pryor SUCKED, and Gilchrist is INJURED. At least we can check off the safety position for the next 5 years. 

Now if your complaint is that you don't think Bowles can spot talent or develop it, right now I agree whole heartedly, I'm very down on this coach after what I witnessed last year, but, let's see if he's learned something & I do like Morton & Greene joining the staff. It will really come down to putting in a system that Hackenberg can thrive in, we'll see. If Morton learned anything from Sean Payton I'll be extremely encouraged.

That's exactly why Mac drafted the way he did. He is not a build through the draft guy. His track record shows he believes he can sign FA's and supplement the other holes through the draft. Most team's do it the other way around. The one's that build winning programs for years do anyway. He also has a terrible track record signing FA's and his only saving grace was the way the deals were structured. I do not trust him with cap space because of this and while the Jets will have a ton of cap space if the cream of the crop does not want to come here what good is all that cap space? I have no love for Bowles but it seems you are blaming him and giving Mac a pass. BOTH men are responsible for the current roster and should be held accountable.

14 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

That's exactly why Mac drafted the way he did. He is not a build through the draft guy. His track record shows he believes he can sign FA's and supplement the other holes through the draft. Most team's do it the other way around. The one's that build winning programs for years do anyway. He also has a terrible track record signing FA's and his only saving grace was the way the deals were structured. I do not trust him with cap space because of this and while the Jets will have a ton of cap space if the cream of the crop does not want to come here what good is all that cap space? I have no love for Bowles but it seems you are blaming him and giving Mac a pass. BOTH men are responsible for the current roster and should be held accountable.

I agree he whiffed on the free agents but 2 of them Revis (Woody) & Fitz (he would have been killed had he not brought him back after 2015), the circumstances were crazy. Did anyone think Revis skills would literally deteriorate overnight? I didn't want Fitz back, I thought the play was to sign Foles for 1.8 to hold the fort for a year. Skrine played well his 1st year, same as Gilchrist but the wheels fell off last year. Call me crazy but I think a GM should get 5 years unless you have 2 drafts like Idzik produced.

That was tough, watching every guy we DIDN'T draft producing all over the league. I still cringe seeing him giddily telling the team Rex was coming back. Painful.

Not sure what the point of drafting WRs is when you have Decker and Enuwa  and the offense who ever the QB is under dipsheet Bowles/Morton will pass the ball about 25 times at most. That us until they're down 2 TDs again the 4th. The failure to do anything about the OL this weekend was criminal stupidity. Coupled with 2 safeties...holy sheeet

Trolls should be banned .. Clearly Mac is a build through draft guy. To say otherwise is asinine.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived