This Site...

DMan77

... Is the only place I can really find where people are cashing or dishing out their "grades" this harshly. I saw one site call it "puzzling" but still say they just formed a great combo and that's about it so far. This is the only place that thinks they just blew the entire draft. Why? Why is that? I think it has more to do with the people posting than the draft, and that makes me sad.

Look, I get we're all very cynical and have worked our way to assuming that the Jets won't figure it out. And "back to back safeties" is just another thing to harp on. 

But man, where is the hope? I know we've been through a lot. I know some of you have been fans for 40 years... But just try and hold on. Try and see the best sides of things. It's worth the effort...

Sometimes I think a lot of people come here simply to bash the Jets because it makes them feel better. Just something about being able to say "same ole jets" helps for some weird reason.

I would much rather go look at these picks bios and analysis and all the random silly grades and get excited that people are giving the Jets A's and B's for these picks, and liking the defense they've put together over the last few years, and thinking about how it can help the team. I would MUCH rather do that then sit and sulk and curse out a GM and  That's just me. Not everyone thinks the same and that's cool... But maybe just try once or twice. That's all. When you feel yourself getting cynical and sarcastic and scoffing and ready to make another silly joke, just try and catch yourself. 

I'm not trying to say don't be realistic. I'm not saying I'm sitting here pretending the Jets just turned the world around with these picks... It's fine to critique and be unhappy. But just don't make that your only mode.

All I'm saying is it's OK to think about how it could succeed more than thinking about how many ways you can bash your team. If they didn't go a direction you wanted, it's ok to sit back and try and figure out how what they did can help instead of throwing your hands up... That's all...  We're all in this together and I hate seeing such seething hate and disrepair and cynicism. I get it. Completely... It's easy to fall into that, especially with this team... But it's worth it to spend a little extra effort to just find a little good and hope in it. To just picture how it could work more than how it could fail. Just hang on guys. 

53 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

... Is the only place I can really find where people are cashing or dishing out their "grades" this harshly. I saw one site call it "puzzling" but still say they just formed a great combo and that's about it so far. This is the only place that thinks they just blew the entire draft. Why? Why is that? I think it has more to do with the people posting than the draft, and that makes me sad.

Look, I get we're all very cynical and have worked our way to assuming that the Jets won't figure it out. And "back to back safeties" is just another thing to harp on. 

But man, where is the hope? I know we've been through a lot. I know some of you have been fans for 40 years... But just try and hold on. Try and see the best sides of things. It's worth the effort...

Sometimes I think a lot of people come here simply to bash the Jets because it makes them feel better. Just something about being able to say "same ole jets" helps for some weird reason.

I would much rather go look at these picks bios and analysis and all the random silly grades and get excited that people are giving the Jets A's and B's for these picks, and liking the defense they've put together over the last few years, and thinking about how it can help the team. I would MUCH rather do that then sit and sulk and curse out a GM and  That's just me. Not everyone thinks the same and that's cool... But maybe just try once or twice. That's all. When you feel yourself getting cynical and sarcastic and scoffing and ready to make another silly joke, just try and catch yourself. 

I'm not trying to say don't be realistic. I'm not saying I'm sitting here pretending the Jets just turned the world around with these picks... It's fine to critique and be unhappy. But just don't make that your only mode.

All I'm saying is it's OK to think about how it could succeed more than thinking about how many ways you can bash your team. If they didn't go a direction you wanted, it's ok to sit back and try and figure out how what they did can help instead of throwing your hands up... That's all...  We're all in this together and I hate seeing such seething hate and disrepair and cynicism. I get it. Completely... It's easy to fall into that, especially with this team... But it's worth it to spend a little extra effort to just find a little good and hope in it. To just picture how it could work more than how it could fail. Just hang on guys. 

100% spot on. Thank you for being a voice of reason .

8 hours ago, DMan77 said:

How can you grade a draft before these players even play a down for the team ?

There are many here that equate self satisfaction from either one of 2 ways:

-The team does well, and that satiates their want to be a part of a winner

-The team doesn't do well, they criticize everything that the team does, and then when the results don't work, the self aggrandizing spins into high gear.

Rinse, repeat. It is a self defense mechanism. I get it-this franchise has frustrated many for so long. It only hurts not to be right in some way when it does go wrong, so there is always at least a little bit of a "win" for many. 

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

There are many here that equate self satisfaction from either one of 2 ways:

-The team does well, and that satiates their want to be a part of a winner

-The team doesn't do well, they criticize everything that the team does, and then when the results don't work, the self aggrandizing spins into high gear.

Rinse, repeat. It is a self defense mechanism. I get it-this franchise has frustrated many for so long. It only hurts not to be right in some way when it does go wrong, so there is always at least a little bit of a "win" for many. 

Ya

The only rationalization that i can see going safety back to back in the first and second round is that we will be playing a ton of zone? A 4-2-5 alignment on defense?  A way to get all our D-linemen on the field?  Was this guy the BPA on Macc's board?   @JiF is this guy the real deal?  Worth a high second round pick?

I am trying to figure this thing out but who on this board thought we could possibly go safety in the second round after using the #6 pick of the draft on safety? Anyone?  

Also, WR was one if not the only area that I would think we were okay on starters and depth even after cutting b.marshall.

Could it be that we are going full retard to ensure that we get one of the top QBs next year?

@Maxman you cant have a top 5 defense when your offense is constantly going 3 and out.  the defense will be gassed by the 4th quarter. 

I always enjoy when fans try to tell other fans their viewpoint is illegitimate, not because of facts or stats or NFL norms or regular old critical thinking and analysis.......but because something something don't be so negative.

The Ray Ray type.  Criticism, to them, is not permitted.  Ever.  And that point is made always with the subtle (or not so subtle) implication that negativity in any form makes someone less of a fan for their opinions.

Perhaps its best to let people feel how they feel, and disagree on the merits of their arguments when appropriate.

Trying to guilt a long-suffering Jets Fan into being (often baselessly) optimistic over what appears to be pants-on-head odd decisions by this franchise is not the best route to go.

We've long ago earned our right to be cynical and to doubt the wisdom of what this franchise does.

I just think it comes down to a lot of these players not being the draft darlings of kiper, mcshay, jeremiah, brooks or mayock. We all don't have time to do extensive research into hundreds of prospects so many rely on the names they hear from the guys who do have that time.  This is especially true in rounds 4-7.   Marcus maye and ardarius Stewart are great prospects but they weren't the talk of the town.

Jake Butt is still on the board for the start of the 4th and if the jets picked him in the 2nd I bet people here would be singing mccagnans praises just because everyone knows who he is.  In many cases there are 7th round guys or free agents that will go on to have hall of fame careers and 1st round picks who will bust.  How often is the first player picked in the draft also the best player in that draft after 3 years?  Almost never, we'll see what happens with these guys. 

9 hours ago, DMan77 said:

There is rarely ever any discussion of X and O around here ...mostly just exactly as you said....once in a very long while there is some actual football discussion though but then as you say the asswipes move in.

This is a great site with passionate fans, most of whom would have had a better draft on paper then we have seen from the Jet FO in the last 5 years and there are threads to discuss the pros and cons of each pick, even a draft forum for those who watch NCAA football, research prospects and develop their own opinions (I think we can all agree this is not science and there are no real experts, only opinions)

Don't worry about those of us who think our team is falling into the abyss, we will all be cheering for the Jets on opening day, hope springs eternal for Jets fans thanks to a guarantee made ~48 years ago , in the meantime please allow for some sanity 

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein 

12 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

This is a great site with passionate fans, most of whom would have had a better draft on paper then we have seen from the Jet FO in the last 5 years and there are threads to discuss the pros and cons of each pick, even a draft forum for those who watch NCAA football, research prospects and develop their own opinions (I think we can all agree this is not science and there are no real experts, only opinions)

Don't worry about those of us who think our team is falling into the abyss, we will all be cheering for the Jets on opening day, hope springs eternal for Jets fans thanks to a guarantee made ~48 years ago , in the meantime please allow for some sanity 

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein 

The way I see things, no one on the site has ever gm'ed or coached a losing game. So there is that.

54 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I always enjoy when fans try to tell other fans their viewpoint is illegitimate, not because of facts or stats or NFL norms or regular old critical thinking and analysis.......but because something something don't be so negative.

The Ray Ray type.  Criticism, to them, is not permitted.  Ever.  And that point is made always with the subtle (or not so subtle) implication that negativity in any form makes someone less of a fan for their opinions.

Perhaps its best to let people feel how they feel, and disagree on the merits of their arguments when appropriate.

Trying to guilt a long-suffering Jets Fan into being (often baselessly) optimistic over what appears to be pants-on-head odd decisions by this franchise is not the best route to go.

We've long ago earned our right to be cynical and to doubt the wisdom of what this franchise does.

Right on, I could understand if this was the Steelers or Pats forum, those type of people on there, should be beaten to death with their own shoes.

This is the New York, "Not had a Real QB sine Broadway Joe Namath" Jets, we have a right to be negative until the dumb A** that run this team prove us wrong.

3 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

The only rationalization that i can see going safety back to back in the first and second round is that we will be playing a ton of zone? A 4-2-5 alignment on defense?  A way to get all our D-linemen on the field?  Was this guy the BPA on Macc's board?   @JiF is this guy the real deal?  Worth a high second round pick?

I am trying to figure this thing out but who on this board thought we could possibly go safety in the second round after using the #6 pick of the draft on safety? Anyone?  

Also, WR was one if not the only area that I would think we were okay on starters and depth even after cutting b.marshall.

Could it be that we are going full retard to ensure that we get one of the top QBs next year?

@Maxman you cant have a top 5 defense when your offense is constantly going 3 and out.  the defense will be gassed by the 4th quarter. 

He's a good player.  I wouldnt have thought he was a high 2nd round pick.  Certainly wouldnt have thought he'd go before Quincy Wilson or Teez Tabor out of the Gators secondary.  He's seems very redundant to what the Jets currently have in Pryor and Miles, just probably a little faster.  Maybe he's a little more dynamic than those guys, more a playmaker but I dont know never would have expected that pick.  I could rationalize and say, ok, maybe he's the Deon Bucannon/Deion Jones but then why Darron Lee?  

I dont know man.  Let me put it this way, I think he breaks the streak of 2nd round busts but he's certainly not the pick I would have made.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's a good player.  I wouldnt have thought he was a high 2nd round pick.  Certainly wouldnt have thought he'd go before Quincy Wilson or Teez Tabor out of the Gators secondary.  He's seems very redundant to what the Jets currently have in Pryor and Miles, just probably a little faster.  Maybe he's a little more dynamic than those guys, more a playmaker but I dont know never would have expected that pick.  I could rationalize and say, ok, maybe he's the Deon Bucannon/Deion Jones but then why Darron Lee?  

I dont know man.  Let me put it this way, I think he breaks the streak of 2nd round busts but he's certainly not the pick I would have made.

Been waiting to hear your take on the Mayes pick. I think the guy will be a good player, but I think you hit it on the head.

I think Tabor was overrated and Mayes underrated a bit, but we're reinforcing the safety position with guys of very similar skill sets.

I rarely post here, but if i did i would share mostly the same thoughts as the OP.

Realistically, its the same as many other forums.... give people a chance to speak their mind, you will hear some dumb stuff.

4 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

There is rarely ever any discussion of X and O around here ...mostly just exactly as you said....once in a very long while there is some actual football discussion though but then as you say the asswipes move in.

I guess you don't pay attention. Because this is the most wrong thing I can ever recall reading here. 

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Why don't you go back and read my comment again? All I asked was people try and find a little space between their unreal cynicism and criticism to find some positives. 

I didn't say a thing about anything "not being permitted". I didn't say anything was "illegitimate".  Please don't put words in my mouth.

And as far as disagreeing on the merits of their arguments, that's pretty hard when everything is straight cynicism with 0 valid points besides "lol Jets". It gets old. 

I'm not trying to guilt anyone. I'm asking people to step back and say "okay, maybe I can try to find some positive here". Ya of course you can be cynical, but I don't see the fun in that, and I don't think it's how anyone has to be 100% of the time.

13 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

Fans on this site are not Johnny Come Lately's. We've literally seen it all. We know a fraud when we see one (Rex), we know dumb when we see it (Bowles) and we know incompetence when we see it (Maccagnan). 

In other words, we are reality. 

Because

1) NFL teams that constantly thrash coaching and management stink more than ones that don't.

2) Owners of teams are in the business of making money - and so when your fan base is whining and birching, you're more likely to thrash your coaching and management.

Ergo, birching makes the Jets suck more.

13 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

Fans on this site are not Johnny Come Lately's. We've literally seen it all. We know a fraud when we see one (Rex), we know dumb when we see it (Bowles) and we know incompetence when we see it (Maccagnan). 

In other words, we are reality. 

delete this.

Archived