Oh f&@# me. Draft edition.

Embrace the Suck

Maybe it's the sauce talking, in fact I'm pretty sure it is, but the Jet optimist in me is trying to make the best of the first two rounds. Despite being unusually annoyed with this team in general I find myself thinking "Why did we draft safety high in the first two rounds" and then replying to myself. "Well we had no secondary. So this takes care of safety long term with two athletic play makers who bring attitude and leadership to a defense devoid of such outside of Leonard." Is this the lead in to the acceptance of denial which leads to resolution. May step 5 or something. Obviously it's a sickness because the Jets are the definition of insanity.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Maybe it's the sauce talking, in fact I'm pretty sure it is, but the Jet optimist in me is trying to make the best of the first two rounds. Despite being unusually annoyed with this team in general I find myself thinking "Why did we draft safety high in the first two rounds" and then replying to myself. "Well we had no secondary. So this takes care of safety long term with two athletic play makers who bring attitude and leadership to a defense devoid of such outside of Leonard." Is this the lead in to the acceptance of denial which leads to resolution. May step 5 or something. Obviously it's a sickness because the Jets are the definition of insanity.

It took me by surprise but now that we're here...I like the draft...Macc is drafting ballers and we'll need to wait and see if they can make a difference...each pick had some good commentary attached...looks like he chose value...only time will tell if it changes anything.

I guess what bugged me about pick #2 is Cook was right there, and we picked another S. Imagine how excited we all would be if we were going to watch him play for the Jets? But Cook is the exact type of player (speed, exciting, aka star) that we never seem to draft, why is that? The whole world knows the NY Jets need offensive players, except the NY Jets I guess.

Just now, Jetscode1 said:

It took me by surprise but now that we're here...I like the draft...Macc is drafting ballers and we'll need to wait and see if they can make a difference...each pick had some good commentary attached...looks like he chose value...only time will tell if it changes anything.

They're drafting guys with established leadership/maturity - who can play. Should tell us more than anyone dared say out loud about the locker room discord last year. I'm not sure what all the pissing and whining is about, other than that Jets fans are a ******* embarrassment. I like that we've compiled some picks for D3 too, now our scouting dept and GM need to show their chops with the later rounders. 

This roster is being overhauled, and the people on JN are whelping like we were one piece away and blew it. It's hilarious really.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

They're drafting guys with established leadership/maturity - who can play. Should tell us more than anyone dared say out loud about the locker room discord last year. I'm not sure what all the pissing and whining is about, other than that Jets fans are a ******* embarrassment. I like that we've compiled some picks for D3 too, now our scouting dept and GM need to show their chops with the later rounders. 

This roster is being overhauled, and the people on JN are whelping like we were one piece away and blew it. It's hilarious really.

This is my first draft around these parts... I'm absolutely shocked at this place. I've never seen such seething hate for this team... And I'm a Jets fan who lives next to Foxboro...

It's a really weird thing to feel more uncomfortable trying to be positive about the Jets here than it does walking around Boston...

3 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I guess what bugged me about pick #2 is Cook was right there, and we picked another S. Imagine how excited we all would be if we were going to watch him play for the Jets? But Cook is the exact type of player (speed, exciting, aka star) that we never seem to draft, why is that? The whole world knows the NY Jets need offensive players, except the NY Jets I guess.

Dude. They are drafting high character guys - recall the Mangini years, the one thing he had right was putting guys on the roster that gave a **** about the game. Our season went down the tubes last year because of the knuckleheads. We're STUCK with Sheldon because he's a knucklehead, and everyone wants him traded, but then they want more knuckleheads in his place.

I can respect passing on guys for character, after seeing what a few turds can do to nuke a season last year. Enough of that sh*t. Bad franchises only change when they have players out-will the decades of suck. It helps that these guys we added so far can play too. No reports of guys with questionable motors, who take plays off, or can't pick up the scheme... these are all football players. Find some more tomorrow.

Everyone needs to dry their tears. 

I can tell you that when FSU played UF no one was talking about Marcus Maye. Dalvin Cook was the story. Dalvin Cook was the best player on the field. FSU won because they had Dalvin Cook, and UF didn't. That simple. Sometimes you just need to keep yourself from out-thinking the room.

1 minute ago, DMan77 said:

This is my first draft around these parts... I'm absolutely shocked at this place. I've never seen such seething hate for this team... And I'm a Jets fan who lives next to Foxboro...

It's a really weird thing to feel more uncomfortable trying to be positive about the Jets here than it does walking around Boston...

Yea, I live in Mass too... it's not always like this, people have become very cynical out of emotional exhaustion. Last season was rough. I'd also add that their are some people here that have dumbed the board down so much, that the good conversationalists have basically thrown in the towel and just prod the whining and tantrums along for laughs.

The last three drafts are putting us on a real solid path to a series of 6-10 finishes. You really have to admire the commitment to putting together 53 of the finest average football players you can buy for $150 mil, but it's clear we have a vision.

1 minute ago, DMan77 said:

It's not about where you're a fan it's how long you've been a fan. Eventually you question things despite essentially unwavering faith.

6 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Here we are trying to dump Sheldon because of his off the field issues.  And some are pissed we didn't get a guy like Cook?  

I mean I would've been ok with picking him, but all the teams that passed on him must think he's a liability.  

To get pissed at drafting two high charcter Safeties that should help the culture here, just seems nuts.

2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

It's not about where you're a fan it's how long you've been a fan. Eventually you question things despite essentially unwavering faith.

Listen I understand. My Dad has been a fan for over 40 years, and he gets down on the team and feels defeated too sometimes. But we still sit and watch the games and get excited about players and possibilities. 

The thing for me, is that it takes effort to be positive. It's so easy to be cynical and post memes and comments and roll your eyes and bash them at every turn. It's easy to troll and to be sarcastic. It's much harder to try and find the bright spots and stay faithful. Much harder... But worth it. 

And lately it feels like this is the place where people who have given up on trying come to post. 

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Agree with the overhaul of locker room.  The rebuild is well overdue.  I like the fact that Macc is confident to trade back and gather more tickets for tomorrow.  Shows confidence in his scouts.  This draft was hyped as short on high-end talent but a very deep draft.  Macc's playing it correct by getting more picks.  

1 minute ago, Jetscode1 said:

Agree with the overhaul of locker room.  The rebuild is well overdue.  I like the fact that Macc is confident to trade back and gather more tickets for tomorrow.  Shows confidence in his scouts.  This draft was hyped as short on high-end talent but a very deep draft.  Macc's playing it correct by getting more picks.  

Yea, I agree. 

I think the "we need to rebuild the right way" crowd is also the same group peeing down their legs today. Oh Jet fans.

Just now, DMan77 said:

Listen I understand. My Dad has been a fan for over 40 years, and he gets down on the team and feels defeated too sometimes. But we still sit and watch the games and get excited about players and possibilities. 

The thing for me, is that it takes effort to be positive. It's so easy to be cynical and post memes and comments and roll your eyes and bash them at every turn. It's easy to troll and to be sarcastic. It's much harder to try and find the bright spots and stay faithful. Much harder... But worth it. 

And lately it feels like this is the place where people who have given up on trying come to post. 

Well you have to save something for the season. It's our offseason too. Hope doesn't take effort. 

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Dude. They are drafting high character guys - recall the Mangini years, the one thing he had right was putting guys on the roster that gave a **** about the game. Our season went down the tubes last year because of the knuckleheads. We're STUCK with Sheldon because he's a knucklehead, and everyone wants him traded, but then they want more knuckleheads in his place.

I can respect passing on guys for character, after seeing what a few turds can do to nuke a season last year. Enough of that sh*t. Bad franchises only change when they have players out-will the decades of suck. It helps that these guys we added so far can play too. No reports of guys with questionable motors, who take plays off, or can't pick up the scheme... these are all football players. Find some more tomorrow.

Everyone needs to dry their tears. 

Mangini drafted high character players at CB1, OLT, and C, which are three of the five or so core pieces on any roster. Not among those core pieces: SS, WR3, FS.

Wasn't Maye suspended by Florida at some point? Stewart was also suspended at Alabama I believe this past season. Maybe football is important to these guys and they'll be good in the locker room but let's not act like they're choir boys.

I understand the effort to change the culture and draft guys with good "football character". Probably shouldn't have let things get so bad in the first place. It's fun to egg people on but I don't mind drafting safeties. The secondary was in shambles and this was an unusually good safety draft. 

The safe pick in the third round isn't my favorite play and seems to be a trend. I guess it's nice to have a guy you feel pretty good about doing a little of everything as a 3rd/4th receiver and a special teamer - I want starter upside in the 3rd and I thought there were guys on the board who had that more than Stewart, maybe with lower floors. But I think you need the ceiling at that point.

What's annoying is watching the draft, being befuddled by the Jets, and then watching good teams like the Ravens, Steelers, and Packers just crush it by moving when the circumstances are right and taking good players who fit what they do - year after year. I don't think it's as hard as the Jets make it look.

Lots of opportunities to do good stuff tomorrow. Might get a couple of starters with this roster. We'll see how it goes.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Mangini drafted high character players at CB1, OLT, and C, which are three of the five or so core pieces on any roster. Not among those core pieces: SS, WR3, FS.

The only thing more predictable than Ape turning condescendingly contrarian about this draft is him being too dumb to actually pull it off

Just now, T0mShane said:

1st rounders - DE, OLB, S

DE and OLB are also core pieces, hence their positional value. S and C are both positions that can be had in later rounds, unless the prospects are elite. To compare our 2nd round S and 3rd round WR in one draft to the LT, CB and C all taken in the 1st is silly. I suspect you know this already, and should acknowledge that I'm humoring you at this point.

1 minute ago, derp said:

Wasn't Maye suspended by Florida at some point? Stewart was also suspended at Alabama I believe this past season. Maybe football is important to these guys and they'll be good in the locker room but let's not act like they're choir boys.

I understand the effort to change the culture and draft guys with good "football character". Probably shouldn't have let things get so bad in the first place. It's fun to egg people on but I don't mind drafting safeties. The secondary was in shambles and this was an unusually good safety draft. 

The safe pick in the third round isn't my favorite play and seems to be a trend. I guess it's nice to have a guy you feel pretty good about doing a little of everything as a 3rd/4th receiver and a special teamer - I want starter upside in the 3rd and I thought there were guys on the board who had that more than Stewart, maybe with lower floors. But I think you need the ceiling at that point.

What's annoying is watching the draft, being befuddled by the Jets, and then watching good teams like the Ravens, Steelers, and Packers just crush it by moving when the circumstances are right and taking good players who fit what they do - year after year. I don't think it's as hard as the Jets make it look.

Lots of opportunities to do good stuff tomorrow. Might get a couple of starters with this roster. We'll see how it goes.

Ardarius Stewart as the new Jerricho Cotchery. Your thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

1st rounders - DE, OLB, S

DE and OLB are also core pieces, hence their positional value. S and C are both positions that can be had in later rounds, unless the prospects are elite. To compare our 2nd round S and 3rd round WR in one draft to the LT, CB and C all taken in the 1st is silly. I suspect you know this already, and should acknowledge that I'm humoring you at this point.

All I got from this is that you're pretending Darron Lee is a pass rushing OLB.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

The only thing more predictable than Ape turning condescendingly contrarian about this draft is him being too dumb to actually pull it off

lol, talks about predictability as he rushes in to ball-wash Tom for a mediocre, poorly constructed jab.

There you are.

Archived