Oh f&@# me. Draft edition.

Embrace the Suck

Just now, Jetscode1 said:

meh...he liked Adams...not faulting the guy for taking him...many had him in the Top 3 of the draft...BPA and all that...

I think his mistake is in believing that he has a lot more time than he does to get this team right.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yea, I agree. 

I think the "we need to rebuild the right way" crowd is also the same group peeing down their legs today. Oh Jet fans.

I'll admit that it took me a while to settle on the Maye..pick...but I get whats going on.  

I like the Stewart pick a lot.  He was one of my more underrated WRs from this class.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think his mistake is in believing that he has a lot more time than he does to get this team right.

1.  How do you know he has less time?

2.  Does it make a difference?  You prioritize from the board he and his scouts built and pick from there.  Are you suggesting he should change his strategy based upon something else?  

35 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

They're drafting guys with established leadership/maturity - who can play. Should tell us more than anyone dared say out loud about the locker room discord last year. I'm not sure what all the pissing and whining is about, other than that Jets fans are a ******* embarrassment. I like that we've compiled some picks for D3 too, now our scouting dept and GM need to show their chops with the later rounders. 

This roster is being overhauled, and the people on JN are whelping like we were one piece away and blew it. It's hilarious really.

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

1.  How do you know he has less time?

2.  Does it make a difference?  You prioritize from the board he and his scouts built and pick from there.  Are you suggesting he should change his strategy based upon something else?  

What gets people fired under Woody Johnson is empty seats, and Maccagnan has pretty much guaranteed a ghost town season at MetLife this year after what was an abysmal viewing experience last year. They can't even sell the rebuild angle because they're drafting ILBs and safeties. The face of the franchise currently is Buster Skrine. Worse, there's no foundation here to sell to any reputable future coach if and when Woody finds out that Bowles sucks and is boring. I do think Maccagnan should have approached this draft with the idea that he was on life support and the only way to save his ass was to either sell tickets or pad the 2018 nest with enough saleable features to trick a saleable head coach into taking this godforsaken job. 

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ardarius Stewart as the new Jerricho Cotchery. Your thoughts? 

Don't really see it honestly. I think Cotchery was a really polished wideout and natural pass catcher who lacked standout physical traits. Stewart was more used deep and on screens/end arounds in college to either get the ball in his hands or try and create big plays - don't think he's nearly as developed. And possibly the pessimist in me but I think developing as a receiver in the NFL and adding polish is tough unless you're a freak who can get by on physical traits.

My guess is he's a career #3/4 type who can threaten deep, run a little after the catch, contribute on specials, block, and work hard in practice. If he maxes everything out he's maybe a #2 on a run heavy team or across from an absolute elite alpha #1 where you take the big play shots and give him RAC opportunities too? I think he's a safe bet to have a career and contribute but very different style of prospect from Cotchery and I think if he has that kind of a career they did really well.

He's old for a junior too, close to 24 when the season starts I think - so I'd guess he's pretty maxed out physically.

10 minutes ago, derp said:

Don't really see it honestly. I think Cotchery was a really polished wideout and natural pass catcher who lacked standout physical traits. Stewart was more used deep and on screens/end arounds in college to either get the ball in his hands or try and create big plays - don't think he's nearly as developed. And possibly the pessimist in me but I think developing as a receiver in the NFL and adding polish is tough unless you're a freak who can get by on physical traits.

My guess is he's a career #3/4 type who can threaten deep, run a little after the catch, contribute on specials, block, and work hard in practice. If he maxes everything out he's maybe a #2 on a run heavy team or across from an absolute elite alpha #1 where you take the big play shots and give him RAC opportunities too? I think he's a safe bet to have a career and contribute but very different style of prospect from Cotchery and I think if he has that kind of a career they did really well.

He's old for a junior too, close to 24 when the season starts I think - so I'd guess he's pretty maxed out physically.

Well, now I'm sad again. Thank you, derp.

The problem here is that Mike Maccagnan is no leader.  Seems like a nice guy.  He understands the game, he even understands how to evaluate talent.  This is all great but they are just part of the role to be a GM.  The other part is to have the stones to tell your head coach "Hey go develop talent.  You want an all-pro backfield?  Turn late round talent into Pro-Bowl material."

Maccagnan doesn't have the right temperment for this job.  He isn't ambitious enough.  He is a textbook guy who will continually be beaten out by those ahead of the curve.  This is sad to write but it's the truth.

I didn't have a problem with Adams because he was BAP, but give me a break with these other guys.  We see what's going to happen with them.  We desperately need talent on our offensive line.  It's barren, it doesn't matter who lines up at QB or WR or RB or anywhere on defense if the offensive line is paper tissue.

8 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

lol, talks about predictability as he rushes in to ball-wash Tom for a mediocre, poorly constructed jab.

There you are.

Good morning, Ape! Can you tell us more about how spending premium picks on guys who don't play premium positions but who have "established leadership/maturity" is actually a super genius move, especially since two of said guys got suspended by their respective teams last year?

8 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

I guess what bugged me about pick #2 is Cook was right there, and we picked another S. Imagine how excited we all would be if we were going to watch him play for the Jets? But Cook is the exact type of player (speed, exciting, aka star) that we never seem to draft, why is that? The whole world knows the NY Jets need offensive players, except the NY Jets I guess.

I read he was off of many teams boards for the thug life

43 minutes ago, Jetlag said:

The problem here is that Mike Maccagnan is no leader.  Seems like a nice guy.  He understands the game, he even understands how to evaluate talent.  This is all great but they are just part of the role to be a GM.  The other part is to have the stones to tell your head coach "Hey go develop talent.  You want an all-pro backfield?  Turn late round talent into Pro-Bowl material."

Maccagnan doesn't have the right temperment for this job.  He isn't ambitious enough.  He is a textbook guy who will continually be beaten out by those ahead of the curve.  This is sad to write but it's the truth.

I didn't have a problem with Adams because he was BAP, but give me a break with these other guys.  We see what's going to happen with them.  We desperately need talent on our offensive line.  It's barren, it doesn't matter who lines up at QB or WR or RB or anywhere on defense if the offensive line is paper tissue.

they traded a 4th this year to get upshaw, who showed promise at RT.  

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Well, now I'm sad again. Thank you, derp.

I got you. I also just didn't like the pick and am now used to the Jets taking low ceiling guys in round 3.

There are people who think he's a quality prospect out there. And apparently he got a second round grade from the draft advisory committee. Which means someone saw something they like.

Alabama used him kind of weird but they had a young dual threat QB so to an extent the evaluation is tough because I don't think you have him running normal routes. The Cotchery comparison was different because that dude was running around catching passes from Rivers coming out.

I do think he's a good fit for the West Coast offense which they definitely took into account when drafting him. And he could be kind of a poor man's Golden Tate if utilized better than he was at Alabama maybe. Doesn't look like a super natural receiver to me, closer to a Ty Montgomery, but it wouldn't be the first time I missed something.

I don't like the pick where it happened based on who was on the board. At 107 or 125 or whatever it wouldn't have annoyed me so much. But I do feel pretty good that he'll have a better career than Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans.

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That's the jets biggest ptoblem, the spin cycle. Hiring a noob then giving him 3 years in Brady's division is stupid

25 minutes ago, Larz said:

Boo hoo

Sent from my LGLS992 using JetNation.com mobile app

Don't get sarcasm much? I didn't mind the pick all that much, but of course it would have been nice to get a talented RB....or  TE....or...or WR (unless you think the crew of UDFA's, low first round picks, Devin "I'm hurt" Smith, or Eric Decker (a #2 receiver) cuts it. Then again, the Jets addressed WR with their next pick, so probably an indication they know the WR corps needs upgrading, as maybe Peake, Anderson, J. Marshall, D Smith, J  - at least 2 probably seen as not really cutting it. Probably Smith and Marshall (who maybe the they never really projected as a WR anyway)

9 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This roster is being overhauled, and the people on JN are whelping like we were one piece away and blew it. It's hilarious really.

Overhauling the roster = move down in rd 1, add an #18 1st and additional picks.   Drafting a Safety at #6 and passing on a gamebreaker in Cook does not equal overhauling the roster.  

10 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Maybe it's the sauce talking, in fact I'm pretty sure it is, but the Jet optimist in me is trying to make the best of the first two rounds. Despite being unusually annoyed with this team in general I find myself thinking "Why did we draft safety high in the first two rounds" and then replying to myself. "Well we had no secondary. So this takes care of safety long term with two athletic play makers who bring attitude and leadership to a defense devoid of such outside of Leonard." Is this the lead in to the acceptance of denial which leads to resolution. May step 5 or something. Obviously it's a sickness because the Jets are the definition of insanity.

I keep hearing that neither of these guys is good in coverage.  Are you therefore thinking that somehow Todd Bowles will be able to coach up this defense to compensate, or coach up these two players?

36 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Don't get sarcasm much? I didn't mind the pick all that much, but of course it would have been nice to get a talented RB....or  TE....or...or WR (unless you think the crew of UDFA's, low first round picks, Devin "I'm hurt" Smith, or Eric Decker (a #2 receiver) cuts it. Then again, the Jets addressed WR with their next pick, so probably an indication they know the WR corps needs upgrading, as maybe Peake, Anderson, J. Marshall, D Smith, J  - at least 2 probably seen as not really cutting it. Probably Smith and Marshall (who maybe the they never really projected as a WR anyway)

Ah sorry man, sarcasm detector battery dies.

Agree, maye was a let down. The wr loves to block and be physical, probably good on specials.

Hoping for a te and ot today

10 hours ago, pointman said:

Supposedly both guys are thumpers. If we are gonna suck, at least I can see some old school actual hitting happening. We all know Pryor hasn't hit anything.

Interestingly though, Adams didn't get one penalty all of last year. Hard hitting is all well and good so long as you don't get flagged for it. Adams looks like he has that bit figured out already.

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

Ah sorry man, sarcasm detector battery dies.

Agree, maye was a let down. The wr loves to block and be physical, probably good on specials.

Hoping for a te and ot today

NP. It was early and only 1 cup of coffee in, so my sarcasm delivery mechanism may have been off too!

Even though we sort of addressed offense with the WR who seems to have the flexibility to be used in different looks, sort of hoping we see a RB or TE. You'd think a well rounded back who could catch some - sort of what the classic 3rd down back was, might be good as who knows if the wheels come off Forte. Even if he has a good year, you'd have to think there aren't too many left, regardless of whether he takes good care of himself or not

If your correct then I feel better about these two

"How he fits: The Jets’ downfield pass defense was horrendous, as they allowed a league-high 17 yards per attempt on throws of at least 20 yards. Maye (6-foot, 210 pounds) is versatile, meaning he can play strong and free safety. Ditto, Adams. "

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

10 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

I can tell you that when FSU played UF no one was talking about Marcus Maye. Dalvin Cook was the story. Dalvin Cook was the best player on the field. FSU won because they had Dalvin Cook, and UF didn't. That simple. Sometimes you just need to keep yourself from out-thinking the room.

I understand why they did not draft Dalvin Cook, character issues... some purportedly late breaking revelations. We are looking for "character guys" I get it. My issue with that is that Bowles, MacCagnan and Woody are drafting in a bubble set in the 1980's. Kids growing up in this century, who parents actually allow them to play football are growing up in a different world. Not every kid gets to grow up behind a white picket fence. Reading the long profile of Dalvin Cook in SI you get a complete picture of the kid, he's had his issues but my sense is that he is a good kid, tough as nails  with elite ball skills.  

16 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

funny ... i have heard the exact opposite

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

14 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

If your correct then I feel better about these two

Here are the abbreviated write ups on both ...

ADAMS

STRENGTHS

Plays with plus balance in coverage. Pattern reader who can digest combinations. Alert for misdirection keys from offense. Party crasher on screen plays. Can handle coverage responsibilities against tight ends. Five interceptions and two recovered fumbles over last two seasons at LSU

BOTTOM LINE

Interchangeable safety with a sheriff's mentality. Adams is a physical tone-setter who should thrive near the line of scrimmage or in a robber role. Should be a commanding presence in the locker room early on and his do-as-I-do play demeanor could be the catalyst for turning a struggling defense around quickly.

MAYE

STRENGHTS

Really instinctive with above-average field vision and feel for the game. Eyes dart back and forth from quarterback to receiver. Correlates quarterback's eyes and actions to a corresponding route and gets the early jump. Plays with good pattern recognition from both man and zone. Credited with a pass breakup or interception on more than 21 percent of his targets as a starter. 

BOTTOM LINE

Interchangeable safety with the instincts of a free safety and the physicality of a box player. Thrives as a downhill player and has the instincts and speed to operate effectively from both single-high and two-deep looks. Has the physical attributes and intelligence to step into a starter's role early on and will be a strong contributor on special teams.

Sounds like they'll both fit the scheme well, where interchangeability is key. Both sound like "all rounders" rather than being distinctly "in the box" vs "centre field" guys.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

All I got from this is that you're pretending Darron Lee is a pass rushing OLB.

Still cannot figure out what Lee really does well. He cannot cover well, and he is not a pass rusher. And he is too small to be very effective stopping the run.

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

I keep hearing that neither of these guys is good in coverage.  Are you therefore thinking that somehow Todd Bowles will be able to coach up this defense to compensate, or coach up these two players?

They have the athletic talent and while I heard the same box safety talk I've also heard they can both cover. I don't watch college football so I don't know if it was a matter of usage or ability. Yes, hopefully the Jets coaching staff can actually show us some ability to coach up players.  

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Dude. They are drafting high character guys - recall the Mangini years, the one thing he had right was putting guys on the roster that gave a **** about the game. Our season went down the tubes last year because of the knuckleheads. We're STUCK with Sheldon because he's a knucklehead, and everyone wants him traded, but then they want more knuckleheads in his place.

I can respect passing on guys for character, after seeing what a few turds can do to nuke a season last year. Enough of that sh*t. Bad franchises only change when they have players out-will the decades of suck. It helps that these guys we added so far can play too. No reports of guys with questionable motors, who take plays off, or can't pick up the scheme... these are all football players. Find some more tomorrow.

Everyone needs to dry their tears. 

Excellent point in the Mangini reference.  Yes, character is a major problem with this team.  Heavily caused by the HC's seeming indifference to bad behavior.  Yeah, you want to draft high character guys when possible, but draft back to back SS in the first two rounds just isn't a good formula to rebuild a team. Has any team ever used picks like 6 and 39 both on SS? How do you get them both on the field at the same time.

A GM has to balance his plan

11 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Good morning, Ape! Can you tell us more about how spending premium picks on guys who don't play premium positions but who have "established leadership/maturity" is actually a super genius move, especially since two of said guys got suspended by their respective teams last year?

I think you are mistaking my reluctance to flail around like a pussy-kicked moron, for trying to be 'positive'.

I'm sorry my Jet fandom doesn't manifest in neurosis, melancholy and/or hysteria.

Archived