Observations, and names to watch day 3

Phillyjet

Like most a little surprised by the Maye pick, but I had mocked him in the second round several times assuming that they were taking Howard in 1st. But post-game, it was clear that Bowles wants to use a package he ran in Arizona with three safeties, so now he has the weapons. The Stewart pick was solid, maybe a little high, but can't complain with the way he plays.

Another surprise was in the trade-downs, and who we left at the table. I thought Pat Elflein was good value in the third, and low and behold he was taken in our spot. Macc must be eyeing other o-line later in draft, as I thought we needed a center.

Lots of good players still on the board guys. Six picks as well. Here are some guys to watch who have upside and have been linked to Jets. Personally I think they go TE or RB in the 4th:

TE: Lots of value still here. Watch Michael Roberts, Jordan Leggett and George Kittle today. Not a huge fan of Hodges as he can't go in-line, but in the 4th or 5th, value meets need.
WR: Mack Hollins may be off board early, or drop to 5th, but he provides excellent value and on specials. Ryan Switzer, a slot guy still out there. Actually a number of great slot guys still left.
RB: still some great value here, starting with Brian Hill and Marlon Mack and Jeremy McNichols. I like a RB in the 4th if either of these guys are there. Also have Aaron Jones, Donnell Pumphrey later in the draft. Some UDFA in Elijah McGuire or Tarean Folston, who was one year removed from a serious injury and did not play well this year (he's a sleeper).
O-line: Was surprised they didn't use the last pick last night on Julie'n Davenport, who will gone early in the 4th. Tyler Orlosky, the C from WV, is a guy to watch for us today (Jon Toth too). Brad Seaton from Villanova late, has been heavily scouted by us. Adam Bisnowaty in the 6th or 7th
QB: Peterman still out there, but I suspect he is grabbed early today
D-line/edge rusher: I would love it if they spent a pick on Ejuan Price in the 6th... undersized with some serious bend. Production to match. Ryan Glasgow from Michigan is a name to watch, may be converted to O-line, good developmental pick late. Keion Adams or Samson Ebukam late or undrafted.
LB: We need to replace Harris... Vince Biegel, Connor Harris are two names to watch today. Biegel likely off the board early in 4th. Also would watch Harvey Langi, Blair Brown, and Jayon Brown.
CB: getting sparse, but Damontae Kazee still out there, Nate Hairston from Temple is a sleeper.
Safety (oh no!): at this point, thinking specials, but people are sleeping on Eddie Jackson who was hurt all year for Bama... but just can't see them drafting another safety today.

14 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Like most a little surprised by the Maye pick, but I had mocked him in the second round several times assuming that they were taking Howard in 1st. But post-game, it was clear that Bowles wants to use a package he ran in Arizona with three safeties, so now he has the weapons. The Stewart pick was solid, maybe a little high, but can't complain with the way he plays.

Another surprise was in the trade-downs, and who we left at the table. I thought Pat Elflein was good value in the third, and low and behold he was taken in our spot. Macc must be eyeing other o-line later in draft, as I thought we needed a center.

Lots of good players still on the board guys. Six picks as well. Here are some guys to watch who have upside and have been linked to Jets. Personally I think they go TE or RB in the 4th:

TE: Lots of value still here. Watch Michael Roberts, Jordan Leggett and George Kittle today. Not a huge fan of Hodges as he can't go in-line, but in the 4th or 5th, value meets need.
WR: Mack Hollins may be off board early, or drop to 5th, but he provides excellent value and on specials. Ryan Switzer, a slot guy still out there. Actually a number of great slot guys still left.
RB: still some great value here, starting with Brian Hill and Marlon Mack and Jeremy McNichols. I like a RB in the 4th if either of these guys are there. Also have Aaron Jones, Donnell Pumphrey later in the draft. Some UDFA in Elijah McGuire or Tarean Folston, who was one year removed from a serious injury and did not play well this year (he's a sleeper).
O-line: Was surprised they didn't use the last pick last night on Julie'n Davenport, who will gone early in the 4th. Tyler Orlosky, the C from WV, is a guy to watch for us today (Jon Toth too). Brad Seaton from Villanova late, has been heavily scouted by us. Adam Bisnowaty in the 6th or 7th
D-line/edge rusher: I would love it if they spent a pick on Ejuan Price in the 6th... undersized with some serious bend. Production to match. Ryan Glasgow from Michigan is a name to watch, may be converted to O-line, good developmental pick late. Keion Adams or Samson Ebukam late or undrafted.
LB: We need to replace Harris... Vince Biegel, Connor Harris are two names to watch today. Biegel likely off the board early in 4th. Also would watch Harvey Langi, Blair Brown, and Jayon Brown.
CB: getting sparse, but Damontae Kazee still out there, Nate Hairston from Temple is a sleeper.
Safety (oh no!): at this point, thinking specials, but people are sleeping on Eddie Jackson who was hurt all year for Bama... but just can't see them drafting another safety today.

I don't really know these day 3 players but I will say "Marlon Mack" is a great name for a football player.  Draft that beast, Macc!

Nice post! I love Switzer and think he would be a great pick. Like you posted though there are lots of great slot guys left - but he is my favorite. Still thinks it makes a ton of sense to draft Chad Kelly and stick him on IR this year.

They need to trade up and grab Peterman. This would go a long way towards starting the day off right. Would it make me forget the past 2 days? Probably not but in the underwhelming world that is being a Jet Fan you have to take what you can get.

A few others

RBs:

Jamaal Williams

CB:

Brian Allen, Utah

Howard Wilson, Houston

Jeremy Clark, Michigan - coming off ACL - late round / UFA flyer

DT / NT

Grover Stewart, Albany State (Ga)

Rod Henderson, Alabama St

Josh Tupou, Colorado

OL

Andrew Eide, BYU OG/OC - converted DL, played LT past 2 seasons. 

Sam Tevi, Utah - converted DL

Jylan Ware, Alabama State

Roderick Johnson, FSU

Erik Magnuson, Michigan

Jerry Ugokwe William & Mary       

Jon Toth, Kentucky            

TE

Eric Saubert, Drake

Cole Hikutini, Louisville

DPR / OLB / ST

Josh Carraway, TCU

Dylan Donahue West Ga St 

Thank you Phillyjet for a smart, thought out post (doesn't happen around here often enough).
I'll add another observation, the pick of Maye (which shocked me) indicates that this front
office is not fearful of losing their jobs.  They are thinking about long term solutions
not about generating headlines.  Because who in their right mind thought we would draft
back to back safeties?

20 minutes ago, C Mart said:

A few others

RBs:

Jamaal Williams

CBs:

Howard Wilson, Houston

Jeremy Clark, Michigan - coming off ACL - late round / UFA flyer

DT / NT

Grover Stewart, Albany State (Ga)

OL

Andrew Eide, BYU OG/OC - converted DL, played LT past 2 seasons. 

Howard Wilson is the guy I figure they'll target in the 4th although with 4.57 speed he might be better suited for zone defense. I had him as a 4th and it's the 4th rd so not great value but not bad value either.

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

Thank you Phillyjet for a smart, thought out post (doesn't happen around here often enough).
I'll add another observation, the pick of Maye (which shocked me) indicates that this front
office is not fearful of losing their jobs.  They are thinking about long term solutions
not about generating headlines.  Because who in their right mind thought we would draft
back to back safeties?

Good post.  I posted something similar in a couple of posts last night.  Macc appears confident he'll be around for the long term.  The double down on the safety position reminds me of how the Packers drafted DB in the first three rounds 15-20 years ago.  It did fix their secondary woes although IIRC the 2nd or 3rd round picks outplayed the 1st rounder.

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

office is not fearful of losing their jobs
.  They are thinking about long term solutions
back to back safeties?

After the 2nd round pick was announced, I had the same exact though .

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

Nice post! I love Switzer and think he would be a great pick. Like you posted though there are lots of great slot guys left - but he is my favorite. Still thinks it makes a ton of sense to draft Chad Kelly and stick him on IR this year.

I like your idea of drafting Kelly.. Lots of upside potential there.

14 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Bucky Hodges would be a solid pickup imo . Haven't had a real receiver TE since Keller .  If u could some how get Hodges and Butt that would be excellent 

Jake Butt is talented but I think that was the 2nd time he tore an ACL?

1 hour ago, KRL said:

@ProFootballDoc Any idea what the medical is with Carl Lawson?

Report of previous ACL tear and hip fracture.

David J. Chao, MD‏ Verified account @ProFootballDoc 

Just now, JETSfaninNE said:

He's not healthy to start the season, I liked him too but I didn't know he would be starting out with a redshirt which is sh*tty for a position we need immediate impact with.

Im sure the Bears have some sh*tty tight end we can pick up.

7 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

Leggett / McGuire. Nice job! 

Archived