Marcus Maye

thadude

I don't actually hate the pick as much as most jets fans do and I think he looks a lot more like Kam Chancellor than Adams does but I've read a half dozen scouting reports and they all rated him as a day 3 prospect

We could have had him in the 3rd or 4th round

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, thadude said:

I don't actually hate the pick as much as most jets fans do and I think he looks a lot more like Kam Chancellor than Adams does but I've read a half dozen scouting reports and they all rated him as a day 3 prospect

Just to throw a little water on this...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-grade/dt-by-grade-input:2 - ranked 50 overall

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marcus-maye?id=2557995 - expected to be drafted round 2

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings - ranked 47 overall

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/19180310/ranking-top-100-prospects-available-2017-nfl-draft-espn-nfl-nation-reporter-jeff-legwold - ranked 51 overall

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2017S.php  - round 2-3

"There are a lot of potential fits for Maye on the second day of the 2017 NFL Draft. The Bears, Chargers, Panthers, Bengals and Bills all have top-10 picks and could use a safety. Maye won't go that high, but at least three of those teams could be targeting a safety in Round 2 assuming that Jamal Adams and Malik Hooker go in the top 10. Connecticut's Obi Melifonwu could also go in the middle to late portion of the first round."

I could probably keep going.  I didn't know much about him before the draft either but it doesn't seem he was a huge reach where they picked him.  A little, yeah, but this doesn't look like a day-3 guy.

5 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Did you see how many DBs went in the 2nd/3rd? No way he lasted more than 5 picks 

There is a premium on pass stoppers at the last level of defense. The Jets were torched with MOAB's week after week for the last season and 1/2

It's a Jets 2nd round pick. What else did anyone expect? The good news is that if Hackingburg busts and Maye busts that will be 10 straight 2nd rd busts in a row so we probably only have to wait for a couple more drafts at most for the streak to end. It's almost mathematically impossible to have more consecutive 2nd rd busts than that.

Might not be the most glamorous picks ( drafting two safeties) but the Jets still were able to get two versatile safeties that could be foundation players for their defense for years.   

There isn't anything wrong with that.    Jets perceived the safety position a weakness, and they attacked that area in the draft With two early picks.     

A lot of Jet fans might not like those non sexy picks, but eventually they will come to appreciate those as pretty good moves on their part.

It's not the guy. It's not even the position. It's taking the guy at a non-value position after taking a similar (but better) prospect the round beforehand with a dozen other holes in the roster. 

The guy played for U of F, SEC. I'm sure he's a good ballplayer. Had we gone for Howard or Williams in Round 1, NOBODY would be THAT bewildered about the pick...

It's like the Jets are building a house, and before the foundation is even poured they're picking the curtains.....

1 hour ago, thadude said:

I don't agree, he would have been gone before the 3rd imo.  Only b/c everything I saw showed him going in the 2nd.  Most big boards had him in the mid 30's.  The last one I looked at last night had him 36th overall and we got him at 39.  I think value wise he was pretty much right on the money, just don't agree with the back to back safety picks.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

He can't cover, he lost four games to an injury and one to a suspension, and he's already 23. This is a pick that looked horrific at the time and somehow gets worse the more you learn about it.

He was first team All American, and missed 4 games bc of a broken arm. And multiple teams had him as a 2nd round pick.

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

The Jets secondary has been unstable at best since 2010. Give Maye a chance. To me the secondary is set for a few years. At least at S

The problem I have with the Maye pick is what becomes of former #1 pick Calvin Pryor, this team cant continually do this with top draft picks its the main reason we are in the Super Bowl drought for the last 48 years. 

Mac and Bowles had choices and they took Maye. The way Dbs were going he would have been selected.  Maybe his game is what they're looking for in our scheme. Look they need smarts in the secondary. We had players with talent last year but it was all disorganized. This is also the Patriots way. Guys who know how to play the game and who can follow orders. Not free lancers who get beat deep because they don't cover their man. 

If you pick a guy in the first round, and he's awful, do you keep him just because?  Did we benefit from giving Gholston extra chances?  Bad optics aside, they are trying to fix the secondary.  Obviously Pryor is looking like a complete bust but tear the bandaid off...

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Mac and Bowles had choices and they took Maye. The way Dbs were going he would have been selected.  Maybe his game is what they're looking for in our scheme. Look they need smarts in the secondary. We had players with talent last year but it was all disorganized. This is also the Patriots way. Guys who know how to play the game and who can follow orders. Not free lancers who get beat deep because they don't cover their man. 

Bowles is a DB whore we need offensive playmakers to score points and help us win games. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The problem I have with the Maye pick is what becomes of former #1 pick Calvin Pryor, this team cant continually do this with top draft picks its the main reason we are in the Super Bowl drought for the last 48 years. 

WGAF about pryor 

26 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Trade Pryor. He is slow and often caught out of position. Just how many times did the Jets get burned deep over the past season and 1/2? Furthermore, Macc said something to sound as if they are keeping Pryor. That keeps his trade value up as the Jets try to move him today

Just now, joewilly12 said:

And again another #1 pick bust that might go elsewhere and have a decent career. 

Maybe if he starts making an effort. He was awful last year. For a guy known for his hits, he didn't make many of them. Took some horrible angles.

Just now, Al Neuman said:

Maybe if he starts making an effort. He was awful last year. For a guy known for his hits, he didn't make many of them. Took some horrible angles.

The entire defense was awful the defensive coordinator is a moron, yet he remains so the faces change but the results will probably be the same. 

2 hours ago, thadude said:

All crap sources.

I didn't like going for another safety, but even dopey McShay said he would have had no issue with him going in the first round.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The entire defense was awful the defensive coordinator is a moron, yet he remains so the faces change but the results will probably be the same. 

You have a point there, but at least the new guys bring leadership on the field desperately needed since our team was devoid of leadership including at the management level.

49 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Moot point.  Pryor is a bonafide bust.  They are moving on, rather than continue to play a losing hand.  I still would have rather taken D'Onta Foreman, but ditching Pryor is the right thing to do, independent of the pick.

Archived