Marcus Maye

thadude

On 4/29/2017 at 10:47 AM, HessStation said:

He was first team All American, and missed 4 games bc of a broken arm. And multiple teams had him as a 2nd round pick.

Granted I am only a MD as a part-time hobby, but I think a broken arm qualifies as an injury.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Granted I am only a MD as a part-time hobby, but I think a broken arm qualifies as an injury.

Mmhmm and if you weren't a full time pain in the ass you'd admit to the giant difference between a fluke broken arm and some kind of major, chronic knee, hip, ankle, head, neck or shoulder injury, which would be something to actually be concerned about, which was what was being implied.

Look at you guys doing that Jets fan clapping thing even after the Jets do horrible sh*t. Like those dudes who were all "we would have won a title last year if we had a kicker" after they drafted Nugent in the second round. You go, clapping Jet fans.

Look at you guys sh*tting on prospects you've honestly never even watched or paid attention to in college. Like those miserable ****s who are so self loathing they have no shred of objectivity left in their angry, empty souls. You go, smarmy Jet fans. ?

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Look at you guys doing that Jets fan clapping thing even after the Jets do horrible sh*t. Like those dudes who were all "we would have won a title last year if we had a kicker" after they drafted Nugent in the second round. You go, clapping Jet fans.

https://www.tenor.co/view/sad-blackish-anthonyanderson-tears-upset-gif-4988274

On 29/04/2017 at 4:52 PM, joewilly12 said:

The problem I have with the Maye pick is what becomes of former #1 pick Calvin Pryor, this team cant continually do this with top draft picks its the main reason we are in the Super Bowl drought for the last 48 years. 

Remember what Bowles di in Arizona with Deone Bucannon...it's possible there's a role for Pryor as a hybrid linebacker. Not saying it's a given or even smart but Bowles does have a history of turning a safety into a weapon at LB. Pryor has the skill-set, we'll have to wait and see.

Mark Barron is another example of a safety converting to LB with some degree of success...it could happen and ultimately it might be a smart move. This being the Jets watch Pryor have a career year and come the 2018 off-season Jets fans will be killing the team for not re-signing him long term when he gets a big FA deal elsewhere!

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

Look at you guys sh*tting on prospects you've honestly never even watched or paid attention to in college. Like those miserable ****s who are so self loathing they have no shred of objectivity left in their angry, empty souls. You go, smarmy Jet fans. ?

To hell with those smarmy bastards who want their football teams to do smart things that lead to a better product!!!!!

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

To hell with those smarmy bastards who want their football teams to do smart things that lead to a better product!!!!!

wah wah wah.

You wake up crying about the Jets. As Don Corleone said, [smack] BE A MAN!!

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

Mmhmm and if you weren't a full time pain in the ass you'd admit to the giant difference between a fluke broken arm and some kind of major, chronic knee, hip, ankle, head, neck or shoulder injury, which would be something to actually be concerned about, which was what was being implied.

Dad?

9 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Marcus Maye Selected Graduation Over Draft

maye-graduation-art.jpg

Jets’ second-round pick Marcus Maye was invited to the Draft in Philadelphia, but the University of Florida product decided to stay home to walk across a different stage.

“I have graduation early Saturday morning,” he told Eric Allen after he was selected by the Green & White. “That’s been one of my mom’s biggest things for me. She’s always pushed school and grades first. The fact that I came back for my last year to graduate, walk across the stage and get that degree is something I’ve always wanted to do for her.

Despite being eligible to declare for the 2016 Draft, the 6’0”, 210-pounder returned to Gainesville for his senior year to complete his degree in African American studies.

If I make a promise to anybody I want to follow it through — and this one was to my mom,” Maye said in an interview with SEC Country. “No one in my immediate family has graduated from college. The fact she wanted me to do that — not just play football, but also graduate — has been in the back of mind and knowing that the last year has always been a motivation for me.”

tempAP_16254858128554--nfl_mezz_1280_102

That's awesome.  Good for him.  He's a great kid. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If those bastards weren't being so damn smarmy they'd maybe realize they're being quite presumptuous about what those smart things would be. 

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

what about all the other stuff

26 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

@JiF has presumably seen more of Maye than anyone here, and he agrees.

I've watched every game of his career, I'll just repeat what I've already said 20 times.  

He's got some issues in coverage, for sure.  He got beat a few times in school.  He was asked him to play center field from time to time but when you had lock down corners like Wilson and Tabor, it's not like he was asked to track/hawk down balls or ball carriers roaming free.  And the times he did have to, he wasnt so good at it. I really dont see him as someone you're asking to cover receivers one on one. He's much better playing in space in a zone just manning the short middle of the field. 

He's fast, so he can cover some ground, especially down hill but he can run sideline to sideline too.  He's great when he's playing anything in front of him because he's explosive and physical.  Great vs. the run.  His instincts put him in position to make plays on the ball but he's not a guy who's going to make any crazy track the ball down in the air type of plays.  He's a box safety if you ask me but he has great instincts so he does create some chances to make a play on the ball.  He's basically Darron Lee, Calvin Pyror and Rontez Miles except his name is Maye.  Marcus Maye.

13 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

(so does Lance Zierlein, for whatever that's worth)

Screenshot (1).png

Pretty much spot on take if you ask me. 

The other factor to consider here too, is that the SEC hasnt had a good stable of QB's since he joined the Gators.  Reality is, he's never really faced a dynamic passing attack. His freshman year they faced Aaron Murray and Jameis...but since then?  Josh Dobbs, Chad Kelly and freshman Jacob Eason is the best competition he's faced. 

17 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Fairly or unfairly, I will always compare Marcus Maye to Dalvin Cook because that's who I wanted the Jets to pick in the 2nd round. Off the field issues aside, I think he might turn out to be the best RB in this class.  And if he does, I will be sad.  

Cook is a potential trainwreck who was probably crossed off entirely from many team's boards. I'd've taken Mixon ahead of Cook. I think he'll be a better player, and I trust him off field more. The video is a PR nightmare, I get that, but Cook is more likely to implode once he starts spending his newfound money getting hammered with his gang banging friends. 

39 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

@JiF has presumably seen more of Maye than anyone here, and he agrees.

Resorting to calling on Jif's expertise to support your case is a fairly convincing bit of evidence suggesting you've lost the debate

just to provide some perspective....Malik Hooker who went half a round ahead of Maye.

Teams were 61 for 78 when throwing against him 1 on 1. 78% completion rate.  That was the worst completion rate of anyone targeted over 20 times in the NCAA. 

And Hooker never left the back half of the field in the one season he played. 

Mind you Hooker also missed 38% of tackle attempts, bottom half of the NCAA and had a 22.7 PFI rating  in the one season he played.

He also had surgeries in January to repair a torn labrum and sports hernia on both sides. 

...Maye lined up all over the backfield including in man and nickel, In his 3 years as a starter in the SEC  reports have had him giving up 4 2014, 4 2015 and 1 TD last year. Mind you he was a 1st Team All American in 2015

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Just blue-skying here, but maybe they didn't need to spend their first two picks on safeties at all.

When I'm trying to be optimistic, I take solace in the concept that perhaps Maye just happened to be the BAP on their board at the time of the pick. 

Archived