At least we're finally drafting football players

Jetster

That produce and love the game and love punching people in the mouth! Am I happy about 2 safeties? Not really but the back end of our defense was atrocious last year. Matt Moore threw 3 TDs against us in one quarter of football (let that one sink in). 

With Adams, Maye and Lee, we're talking guys that can fly around so those large windows QBs were throwing into last year will be a lot smaller when these guys start learning to play together & based on everything that's been said about Adams, the dude is a coach on the field.

Stewart seems to be the offensive version of these safeties. Tough minded relentless player. At least these 3 draft picks are bringing some attitude to probably one of the softest teams in the league last year. Rome wasn't built in a day and while I'm lamenting the fact that we didn't pick Delvin Cook, most NFL pundents are very high on all 3 players we took, and some highly respected scouts think the Jets got great value, stud football players so far. All of them have PRODUCED, these weren't guys picked on projections.

Now Macc has 6 more picks & UDFA, plus the usual unexpected cuts teams make like Barnidge being let go in Cleveland. Sure he's 31 but he'd be a great mentor to ASJ and whoever we take today at TE, plus he'd certainly help whatever QB takes the snaps this year. 

nice post... agree.    This year is all about Hackenberg's development.  Keep adding pieces to build up the core.  We'll know more about the value of Macc's drafting later this year.  So far, we've added guys like Williams, Brandon Shell, Jordan Jenkins, Lee, Robbie Anderson, Charone Peake, Justin Burris.   Am worried about the o-line, but this wasn't the year for value in the draft.  Add to that these new guys, and by the end of the year, we'll know if we are moving in the right direction. 

2 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

nice post... agree.    This year is all about Hackenberg's development.  Keep adding pieces to build up the core.  We'll know more about the value of Macc's drafting later this year.  So far, we've added guys like Williams, Brandon Shell, Jordan Jenkins, Lee, Robbie Anderson, Charone Peake, Justin Burris.   Am worried about the o-line, but this wasn't the year for value in the draft.  Add to that these new guys, and by the end of the year, we'll know if we are moving in the right direction. 

i like that they haven't drafted a qb yet.  

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That produce and love the game and love punching people in the mouth! Am I happy about 2 safeties? Not really but the back end of our defense was atrocious last year. Matt Moore threw 3 TDs against us in one quarter of football (let that one sink in). 

With Adams, Maye and Lee, we're talking guys that can fly around so those large windows QBs were throwing into last year will be a lot smaller when these guys start learning to play together & based on everything that's been said about Adams, the dude is a coach on the field.

Stewart seems to be the offensive version of these safeties. Tough minded relentless player. At least these 3 draft picks are bringing some attitude to probably one of the softest teams in the league last year. Rome wasn't built in a day and while I'm lamenting the fact that we didn't pick Delvin Cook, most NFL pundents are very high on all 3 players we took, and some highly respected scouts think the Jets got great value, stud football players so far. All of them have PRODUCED, these weren't guys picked on projections.

Now Macc has 6 more picks & UDFA, plus the usual unexpected cuts teams make like Barnidge being let go in Cleveland. Sure he's 31 but he'd be a great mentor to ASJ and whoever we take today at TE, plus he'd certainly help whatever QB takes the snaps this year. 

Furthermore, the Jets CS has teachers in place. I hate the idea of Rodgers still here though. He could spoil a candy bar

4 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

This draft already looks better than the Idzik 12 player fuk up

1 minute ago, Phillyjet said:

The lack of aggression last year was obvious to anyone watching the Jets. It was so easy to see how hard Enunwa & Powell were playing just by the extra effort they were exerting to gain every inch of yardage on every play. Williams, Lee, Jenkins, Burris all showed signs of hustle and that WANT TO you see in young players even though they made some mistakes.

It truly was the high paid veterans that let this team down by either half assing plays or watching from the sidelines with injuries. I've said it before, you can't win in the NFL without passion, too many vets on this team were collecting pay checks & had already checked out. We might not be very good next year but I doubt lack of effort will be the culprit.

What I like about the WR pick better than previous recent ones is that they drafted a guy who does a little big of everything well on offense, in addition to being a solid WR. Obviously Hill was a guy with all the "traits" but a project (obviously picked too high being he was a project). Devin Smith was sort a cadillac version of Hill (well, broad analogy) in that he did catch well (meaning legit WR skills) but maybe a bit of a one trick pony - burner type. Though the new WR projects more in the slot, he just seems more well rounded at football than D Smith. Who knows, maybe D. Smith will put it together, but it seems like the Jets have outside guys to replace him, even though they were low picks/UDFA.

6 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Furthermore, the Jets CS has teachers in place. I hate the idea of Rodgers still here though. He could spoil a candy bar

Rogers is TERRIBLE! But in his defense, Bowles was a pussy last year excusing guys not giving effort. Something Belichick would NEVER TOLERATE. 

After last season, I can forgive the Jets for going after high-character guys over somewhat more regarded prospects with red flags.  Adams and Maye come with stellar reputations.  We can draft the bad boys next year if this team gets their collective heads screwed on straight this season.

Thank you to other Jet fans responding to my post. It's just nice to discuss football and our team with more thoughtful responses instead of fire everyone, we're gonna suck & have no chance brigade. Sometimes I wonder why some Jet fans don't just find something else to do they're so f*cking miserable.

Just now, Jetster said:

Thank you to other Jet fans responding to my post. It's just nice to discuss football and our team with more thoughtful responses instead of fire everyone, we're gonna suck & have no chance brigade. Sometimes I wonder why some Jet fans don't just find something else to do they're so f*cking miserable.

I don't post much but read the posts every day, it's nice to have a well thought out football conversation to read.

5 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

What I like about the WR pick better than previous recent ones is that they drafted a guy who does a little big of everything well on offense, in addition to being a solid WR. Obviously Hill was a guy with all the "traits" but a project (obviously picked too high being he was a project). Devin Smith was sort a cadillac version of Hill (well, broad analogy) in that he did catch well (meaning legit WR skills) but maybe a bit of a one trick pony - burner type. Though the new WR projects more in the slot, he just seems more well rounded at football than D Smith. Who knows, maybe D. Smith will put it together, but it seems like the Jets have outside guys to replace him, even though they were low picks/UDFA.

I'm still not giving up on Smith. Whether it's Petty or Hackenberg, they both have the arm strength to utilize his skill set & the arm strength to FORCE opposing teams to have to cover him & not cheat up into the box. 

That opens everything up underneath for Decker, Enunwa, Stewart who is a stud at YAC, and our RBs. 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

I'm still not giving up on Smith. Whether it's Petty or Hackenberg, they both have the arm strength to utilize his skill set & the arm strength to FORCE opposing teams to have to cover him & not cheat up into the box. 

That opens everything up underneath for Decker, Enunwa, Stewart who is a stud at YAC, and our RBs. 

You left out our TEs.  Oh wait...

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

What? Maccagnan only drafts "football players." His calling card is taking nice young men with sh*tty measurables. The only time he's taken an athletic freak, it's a ******* ILB who can't actually play.

:looks over at Hackenberg, points:

YEAH THIS GUY KNOWS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT

I like the idea of young hungry guys being drafted. I just felt there were other ways to go with what was available on the board at the time they picked. Hopefully these guys will pan out but after watching this team since its inception and seeing them make mistake after mistake when it comes to player development its hard to be optimistic.

Our entire philosophy has been to draft players that won't give Todd Bowles a difficult time and get rid of any player that needs coaching. Todd Bowles is weak and in way over his head, and our halfwit GM is doing his best to enable him. I wish they'd hire an adult to oversee these two bumble****s

Amazing how some fans are so much more knowledgeable than scouts, coaches and GM's.  Smh

2 safety picks back back is not illegal under NFL draft rules.  We are building a defense with young ballers that have produced in college.  Offense will come eventually  

34 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Stewart seems to be to be a perfect fit for a WC offense

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Our entire philosophy has been to draft players that won't give Todd Bowles a difficult time and get rid of any player that needs coaching. Todd Bowles is weak and in way over his head, and our halfwit GM is doing his best to enable him. I wish they'd hire an adult to oversee these two bumble****s

lol right on time ...you should be a political commentator on one of those useless shows on Fox or something

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I get what you are driving at here, but most coaches want the maximum number of good, coachable guys. I don't know what the dbag tipping point a team or organization can tolerate in terms of percentages (no doubt there is a sociological or anthropological study - like how many sh*tbird hunters a Yanomami  tribe could have and not starve to death) but you have to figure it's easier to take a flyer on only a couple of young, potential moldable jerks when the rest of the team has a good percentage of high character, good players (high character scrubs don't seem to matter in sports)

Everyone on the planet that knows football has said because of horrible drafting before McCaggnan arrived we had the least talent in the league. So not only does Macc have to draft guys that can play, he has to draft guys to REPLACE the players who were taken so high in the 1st place.

He is trying to find a QB because Sanchez was a bust, he had to replace our entire WR core. He had to replace aging & sucky LBs, he has to replace 2 All pro aging Lineman in Dbrick & Mangold.

He had no RBs other than Powell. He had no TEs left to him. My god, how quickly do you think you can transform an absolute dumpster fire that Idzik & Rex left this guy?

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Great post. I just have this feeling we waited to long to trade back. Unless we get Jake Butt in the 4th, the rest of the draft looks like depth picks. We dont have a depth problem, we have a talent problem. 

48 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

WR reminds me of Cotchery/Enunwa... could mean goodbye to Jalin Marshall.

Really hope they get something of value for Pryor/S-Rich/Gilchrist but not expecting it.

Man that Milliner/S-Rich/Geno draft really hurts when Winters is the only 2nd contract starter we got from it.

So we drafted a #3 WR who is a lot like a guy already on this roster. Terrific!

But he is not a safety, which makes Todd so sad. 

45 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

WR reminds me of Cotchery/Enunwa... could mean goodbye to Jalin Marshall.

Really hope they get something of value for Pryor/S-Rich/Gilchrist but not expecting it.

Man that Milliner/S-Rich/Geno draft really hurts when Winters is the only 2nd contract starter we got from it.

We are defintiely getting nothing for Gilchrist.  Dude just had major knee surgery and I think has a high price tag this season.

Pryor won't be moved, I don't think there is any reason for a team to take him with how deep this draft was at the position.

Richardson, who the hell knows anymore, everyone knows the Jets have no leverage with him so you aren't getting anything close to even below average trade value.  Maybe we can move him for next years 5th or something if we really want to get rid of him this year.  Otherwise we are stuck with both Pryor and Richardson for 1 more year.

3 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

That's what it is looking like. Setting realistic expectations while they let the kid play.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Hard to disagree, can thank Woodrow for that

Archived