The Jets got owned by the rest of the AFC east

Beerfish

The sucky run defense was the biggest head-scratcher for me.  I don't know if you could chalk it all up to Snacks going but maybe.  Or maybe it was sucky Safety play

Possibly, I didn't believe they would be that bad. I guess it was all Rex's Scheme.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, roscoeword said:

I saw the video highlights of our draft choices on youtube, and they all look very good. I intentionally will not view the highlights of the Bills and Dolphins draft choices, since it may damper my enthusiasm, because they probably look pretty good too.

You do know they only put plays that make a player look good in those highlight videos right? literally every player who has a highlight video looks like a stud on it. Just as an example check out the set of hands on this kid 

Or the coverage skills of this beast 

Just incase you are too young to recognize these guys Check out this offensive wizard tearing defenses apart and throwing touchdowns like he could be the next tom brady

On 4/29/2017 at 10:20 AM, dbatesman said:

Charles Harris is terrible, but otherwise this is tough to argue with. Because this website functions as a support group for people who think of Rex as a surrogate father, we're not supposed to say that Doug Whaley is a decent GM, but he actually is.

giphy.gif

On 4/29/2017 at 11:18 AM, bealeb319 said:

I was somewhat expecting them to go after a tight end i heard our new offensive coordinator values that position highly. They passed on some pretty decent tight end prospects which i think could speak highly of how they feel about Sefarian-Jenkins.

They also drafted a very good TE prospect much later

9 hours ago, nycdan said:

Not to give any support to the original argument, but to clarify one point, Whaley's firing was pre-ordained.  I think BUF's draft was run by their new HC.

Outside of a few guys, one of which will probably go down as the G.O.A.T (*yack*, and even his drafts have been "eh"), this pretty much works out as well as you think it would.

That's not a compliment, for the record.  I'm sure there will be a few who interpret it that way. 

Charles Harris is terrible, but otherwise this is tough to argue with. Because this website functions as a support group for people who think of Rex as a surrogate father, we're not supposed to say that Doug Whaley is a decent GM, but he actually is.

Good call here. 

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:23 AM, Darkheart said:

Oh yes, Beerfish, Buffalo definitely owned us. That's clearly evident by the fact that they FIRED THEIR GM A DAY AFTER THEIR DRAFT

Of course Buffalo owned us in this draft. They got a 1st next year in a trade down. And the GM had nothing to do with their draft douchebag. Firing a GM after the draft is pretty common. Anytime that's happened the GM has zippo to do with the picks made as was the case in Buffalo.  

22 hours ago, flgreen said:

They also drafted a very good TE prospect much later

They picked him at the perfect sot too.  Beginning of the 5th round, Butt, Kittle, Leggett, and Sprinkle were all available.  There was a quick run and they got Leggett not a pick too soon.  

When was the last time we got an opening day starter in the 5th round.

49 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Of course Buffalo owned us in this draft. They got a 1st next year in a trade down. And the GM had nothing to do with their draft douchebag. Firing a GM after the draft is pretty common. Anytime that's happened the GM has zippo to do with the picks made as was the case in Buffalo.  

The coach dictating the draft and trying to play GM always works out super duper well.  Especially when he's never done it before. 

The Bills have also shown that they always know what to do with 1st round picks.  Like when they traded up for EJ Manuel or sold the farm for Sammy Watkins.  Firing your GM right after the draft and starting a search before the season, when minicamp hasn't even started and after all the top candidates have taken jobs elsewhere in the offseason, is always the way to make sure you get the best man for the job.  Those pesky Bills showing the rest of the AFC East what a smart and successful organization really looks like.

46 minutes ago, Powpow said:

This needed it's own post because I hope to God that this is sarcasm.

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This needed it's own post because I hope to God that this is sarcasm.

What u talking about homie. Bills plucked a #1 for next year and got a top CB in the deal. Awesome trade.

19 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The coach dictating the draft and trying to play GM always works out super duper well.  Especially when he's never done it before. 

The Bills have also shown that they always know what to do with 1st round picks.  Like when they traded up for EJ Manuel or sold the farm for Sammy Watkins.  Firing your GM right after the draft and starting a search before the season, when minicamp hasn't even started and after all the top candidates have taken jobs elsewhere in the offseason, is always the way to make sure you get the best man for the job.  Those pesky Bills showing the rest of the AFC East what a smart and successful organization really looks like.

Not the point. Whaley was responsible for EJ manuel which always left a bad taste in the owner's mouth. Whaley was done months ago. Firing him was just a formality. He was fired eons ago. Those picks had nothing to do with Whaley. Biils draft was excellent. They got a top CB, a top Wr and very good G and an extra 1st rounder for 2018. We should have been so lucky.

20 minutes ago, Powpow said:

What u talking about homie. Bills plucked a #1 for next year and got a top CB in the deal. Awesome trade.

The highlighted part was the only thing I meant on that one mang.  I can't think of a time where the GM was fired a day after the draft, let alone it happening all the time.

17 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Not the point. Whaley was responsible for EJ manuel which always left a bad taste in the owner's mouth. Whaley was done months ago. Firing him was just a formality. He was fired eons ago. Those picks had nothing to do with Whaley. Biils draft was excellent. They got a top CB, a top Wr and very good G and an extra 1st rounder for 2018. We should have been so lucky.

E J Manuel was drafted in April 2013 and Pegula bought the Bills in October 2014 so I don't think it "always" left a bad taste in the owner's mouth.

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

I think we're just gonna have to agree to disagree. I don't love their class. It's ok.  The Jones was ok, but I don't know what his ceiling is.  He was a tough guy to evaluate because of the way he was used at SCI. I personally feel that they could have gone elsewhere but time will tell.  I don't love he pick at guard I won't sugarcoat it.  The 1st next year is nice but barring a collapse it's going to be low.  The common misconception here is this screws up an plans for trading up next year.  It doesn't.  If the team is going to trade up, they were already going to have to sell the farm.  On top of it, our picks are probably going to be higher than Buffalo's for at least 2 more years.  That makes them more valuable.  I also think Tyrod is their guy for at least 2-3 more years, so that might take them out of the running.  I like him.

Pegula wasn't around for the drafting of EJ btw.  That makes the firing all that more questionable. They gave him a "vote of confidence" after they fired Rex.  It makes zero sense.  They could have fired both and gotten a new GM and HC.  Instead they did their own ass-backwards version of the Rex-Idzik thing.  

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

E J Manuel was drafted in April 2013 and Pegula bought the Bills in October 2014 so I don't think it "always" left a bad taste in the owner's mouth.

Whaley was still blamed and rightfully so for Manuel regardless of who the owner was. Whaley was left to linger for awhile thereafter. He became obsolete over the last year. 

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Don't you think the reason for timing it right after the draft is so no one else could hire him right before the draft, thereby gaining access to everyone Buffalo was & wasn't targeting during the draft?

I don't think it could be more obvious that this is the reason for the timing. They knew they were firing him.

As far as the draft, we'll see. What I read was going on in their (clearly uncomfortable) war room was it was still generally Whaley's rank list, with McDermott having last say (and veto power if it was a player he didn't want on the team he was about to coach).

McDermott wasn't Whaley's guy anyway; he wanted Lynn. Whaley also didn't want to keep Tyrod Taylor. Couple of other things I'm sure, after most GM hirings/firings are done, that indicated a divorce was for the best. Clearly not ideal timing but we'll see how it pans out after a couple of seasons. Hopefully it's another Buffalo disaster.

But at the all-important QB position, their current strategy options are: try Taylor again, get an extended, low-cost look at Peterman, and if neither impresses them enough they have an extra 2018 first rounder in a strong QB class to burn on another. Possible if it was Whaley alone they'd have none of those 3 options available to them, with all their hopes resting in an early/earlier 2017 pick alone.

24 minutes ago, Jetfan13 said:

U do know that Buffalo fired their GM right after the draft right? It wasn't because he got it right.

You think they let their GM run the draft, decided they didn't like their haul, and then fired him because of it? Lol. 

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

And how is this process any less successful than our last two GM hiring fiascos? Neither Idzik nor Maccagnan were on anyone else's short or long lists. We can't even get interviews with viable candidates. We're hiring the Miltons from other teams

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

And how is this process any less successful than our last two GM hiring fiascos? Neither Idzik nor Maccagnan were on anyone else's short or long lists. We can't even get interviews with viable candidates. We're hiring the Miltons from other teams

Everyone lamented that we got turned down by Ryan Pace because he was on everyone's list and that seems like a blessing today.  Idzik was The result of being turned down by multiple people and basically having no one left.  Maccagnan was interviewed once, left, a couple more guys were interviewed and he was brought back.  Reading articles posted around the time also most people described him as an "up and coming GM candidate" that most assumed "would land a job sometime in the near future if not with the Jets."  Was he an Eric Decosta like GM prospect?  No.  Was he looked at as a bad candidate at the time?  No.  Most agreed that this wasn't another Idzik situation.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Everyone lamented that we got turned down by Ryan Pace because he was on everyone's list and that seems like a blessing today.  Idzik was The result of being turned down by multiple people and basically having no one left.  Maccagnan was interviewed once, left, a couple more guys were interviewed and he was brought back.  Reading articles posted around the time also most people described him as an "up and coming GM candidate" that most assumed "would land a job sometime in the near future if not with the Jets."  Was he an Eric Decosta like GM prospect?  No.  Was he looked at as a bad candidate at the time?  No.  Most agreed that this wasn't another Idzik situation.

The real problem is Woody is a horrible executive who knows nothing

But then again that's every problem

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

We also got turned down by Chris Ballard and George Paton. I don't think DeCosta even bothered picking up the phone this time.

yeah, he's one of the greats:lol:

36 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Broheim, Maccagnan got hired because Charlie Casserly remembered him from the Texans.

53 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

We also got turned down by Chris Ballard and George Paton. I don't think DeCosta even bothered picking up the phone this time.

Fair points but it should also be noted that Ballard turned down every offer he was given up until the Colts job opened up...which isn't shocking because he gets to inherit Luck.  Paton has so far done the same and DeCosta will die in Baltimore waiting for Ozzie to retire at this rate. 

I'll agree with you in the sense that these three were all viewed as better candidates for a GM position but 2 of the 3 have continued to refuse jobs and it took the best QB prospect since Elway to pry the other one away.  I think my point is more along the lines of like him or hate him, and I think we both know we differ a bit here, Maccagnan wasn't viewed as a bad interview or hire at the time whereas Idzik was viewed as a total head scratcher.

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Broheim, Maccagnan got hired because Charlie Casserly remembered him from the Texans.

Im not gonna deny that the connections helped, but let's be honest, that's true in a ton of hires around the league.  Adding on to @dbatesman's point, I doubt Maccagnan gets hired if we had a choice between him and ANY of those guys he mentioned.  You know that I'm not as down on Macc as you guys are, although the way he decided to use the first two picks this year tested my patience (particularly the 2nd because I will admit did love Adams and he was on my short list @ 6) but I'd have sacrificed a couple virgins for any of those 3 (Mostly Ballard or DeCosta) to take this job.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:45 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

You think they let their GM run the draft, decided they didn't like their haul, and then fired him because of it? Lol. 

Makes more sense then your scenario. They didn't fire him before the draft so he wouldn't tell others of the Bills inner workings? Really? Who cares about the Jills secrets, they are worse then the Jets.

1 hour ago, Jetfan13 said:

Makes more sense then your scenario. They didn't fire him before the draft so he wouldn't tell others of the Bills inner workings? Really? Who cares about the Jills secrets, they are worse then the Jets.

No, it really doesn't make more sense. Especially since it was McDermott - who wasn't fired - that had final say on all draft picks/moves.

Who cares about the Bills' secrets & whom they're targeting (or not) and when?

Literally every single NFL team, since all 32 have the exact same players on their draft charts. The only thing that differs is the ranking order.

Archived