Good first three picks; Engage full rebuild!

RedBeardedSavage

It's years before we're going to be a legit contender.  

The league is heavily dependent on quarterback, and we don't have one.  I liked Maholmes, but he's definitely a gamble, and we don't have the roster or the coach to support that type of risk.    We have one of the least talented rosters and the least effective coaching staffs in the entire league.  It's the truth, we all know it.  We can't even attract a talented coach, or free agents, because this past year was such an unmitigated disaster.  But at least the GM understands it, and sees what we see.  This is not a "reload" offseason, where you spend big in free agency and make moves to fill immediate holes in the draft.  This is a clear cut "just take the best prospect at our pick" draft, although obviously the Jets are weighing character heavily in that prospects overall analysis - which is the only reason they could have for passing on Cook.

Yes we took two safeties back to back, and yes we took a WR from a run-first program with a freshman QB.  We also got three all SEC players with NFL athleticism. We've got a steal in the first, a day one starter in the second and an underrated Alabama WR in the third.

Next year is about watching a lot of young talent, purging the quit from the team (that Sheldon, Revis attitude) and watching to see how attractive we can make ourselves for a better coach.  After about a year of complete ineptitude and letdown, I think we made three good draft picks in the last two days and will happily applaud competence when I see it.  Keep f***in' that chicken Mac.   

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

When you think about it, going into year three with Josh McNown, Bryce Petty, and Christian Hackenberg is actually good.

It's terrible, but we made three good picks in the past two days.  We were not going to change everything in one off-season, you know this.  I'm happy we made three good picks.  Sundays will be more interesting this year and less depressing.  This is full reboot, start a bunch of young cheap players, and watch for some surprises. 

3 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

It's terrible, but we made three good picks in the past two days.  We were not going to change everything in one off-season, you know this.  I'm happy we made three good picks.  Sundays will be more interesting this year and less depressing.  This is full reboot, start a bunch of young cheap players, and watch for some surprises. 

We added two safeties and a blocking WR.  They may all be good players, but their impact is limited.  We were the leagues least talented team before the draft, and it's looking like we're the league's least talented team by a greater margin after the draft.

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

We added two safeties and a blocking WR.  They may all be good players, but their impact is limited.  We were the leagues least talented team before the draft, and it's looking like we're the league's least talented team by a greater margin after the draft.

Disagree with the bold completely.  Two day one starters in an atrocious secondary.  Again, it's the NFL draft, not Amazon.com, you can't just buy whatever you want.  

3 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Disagree with the bold completely.  Two day one starters in an atrocious secondary.  Again, it's the NFL draft, not Amazon.com, you can't just buy whatever you want.  

I mean, I'd like to believe we have Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins too, but otherwise, I'm not sure having a very good safety tandem is that important.  Kind of like how we won exactly nothing while having arguably the best Center in the league for the past decade and a half or so with Mawae and then Mangold.

8 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I mean, I'd like to believe we have Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins too, but otherwise, I'm not sure having a very good safety tandem is that important.  Kind of like how we won exactly nothing while having arguably the best Center in the league for the past decade and a half or so with Mawae and then Mangold.

Some of the best defenses in the league are captained by superstar safeties (Chiefs, Seahawks, Pats off the top of my head)

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I mean, I'd like to believe we have Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins too, but otherwise, I'm not sure having a great safety tandem is that important.  Kind of like how we won exactly nothing while having arguably the best Center in the league for the past decade and a half or so with Mawae and then Mangold.

We are devoid of talent everywhere.  And when you don't have a quarterback, the rest of your roster, every other position, isn't that important - that's the sport today.  But once you get a QB, now the rest of your team matters.  The rest of our team just got better.  

And never said we drafted two HOF safeties lol

Just now, BigRy56 said:

Some of the best defenses in the league are captained by superstar safeties (Chiefs, Seahawks, Pats off the top of my head)

Which of those teams drafted two back to back, one in the top 10, in a year when they had the leagues worst roster?  These two players may be very good.  I'm arguing the use of resources to start this "rebuild."

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

We are devoid of talent everywhere.  And when you don't have a quarterback, the rest of your roster, every other position, isn't that important - that's the sport today.  But once you get a QB, now the rest of your team matters.  The rest of our team just got better.  

And never said we drafted two HOF safeties lol

I don't disagree we got better, or at least, we may have gotten better.  I disagree that two safeties is anywhere near maximizing the value of having 6 and 39.

42 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Don't bother, it wouldn't of mattered who we drafted.....some Jets fans are just never happy

30 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

So here's my honest to God question- How many top tier defenses to we have to assemble, then eventually disassemble empty handed of a championship before we pay any attention to offense?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I THINK the Jets have drafted three offensive players so far out of five?

36 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

So here's my honest to God question- How many top tier defenses to we have to assemble, then eventually disassemble empty handed of a championship before we pay any attention to offense?

We need a quarterback.  You can't ignore the rest of the team in the meantime though.  If they don't see that qb in the draft this year, or they're just self aware enough to know they can't develop anyone with this coaching staff, then just take bpa and bring me talent, which I believe they have. 

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

really good safeties can have a huge impact on the entire (Lott, Woodson's, Reed, Mattieu, Polomalu, Harris, Chancellor) defense they can be used in so many ways to wreak havoc. Plenty of high impact safeties in the league its about time we got one...ok 2 lol . 

I was happy about Adams but not so sure on the second one in Mayes since Cook was still on the board as was Kamara who would have added some dynamic talent to an offense that desprately needs it. I was also hoping the Jets would have traded up in the second round to get Ruben Foster

6 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Couldn't ask for a better draft!

Actually I'd rather have had the Jaguars first two rounds of the draft.  But sarcasm appreciated ;).  

Basicslly I'm not going to complain when we draft good players, which is what we've done so far this year - which unfortunately isn't the norm.  

26 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

We need a quarterback.  You can't ignore the rest of the team in the meantime though.  If they don't see that qb in the draft this year, or they're just self aware enough to know they can't develop anyone with this coaching staff, then just take bpa and bring me talent, which I believe they have. 

The best thing mac did was not pick a qb this yr. It was a very weak qb class. Next yr is much better. We will have a top pick to grab 1

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Actually I'd rather have had the Jaguars first two rounds of the draft.  But sarcasm appreciated ;).  

Basicslly I'm not going to complain when we draft good players, which is what we've done so far this year - which unfortunately isn't the norm.  

I agree!

We'll be a contender when we get a QB. That doesnt take years. It can, but they could get one next year possibly. 

It's clear that their plan is to evaluate their young talent this year and that includes at the QB spot as well. This wasn't a great draft class for a QB. I'm not going to kill the Jets for passing on a QB, evaluating Hack and Petty, and addressing the position next year. I think thats smart.

I completely agree. We need a QB. But we have fashion full on rebuilds 4 or 5 times on D from Herm to now, with the draft fully focused on that rebuild. We have used the bottom end of the draft and FA to repeatedly throw band aids at the offense during that time. I'm not saying draft a QB this year, but how about we put some pieces in place for a future QB now?

Here's a stat that could explain the reasoning behind the two Safeties.

Third-Down Conversion % Against. 

2015: 33.2% (3rd in NFL)
2016: 40% (19th in NFL)

It seemed like we couldn't stop anyone last season on 3rd down...even 3rd and long.  TEs ran wild on us and we couldn't defend slot WRs...yadda yadda.

The ripple effect of better play on 1st and 2nd downs will amplify that.  We were spoiled for years with really good secondary play but now we've seen what it looks like on the other side and it sucked.  Sure we need more offense.  But investing big in fixing the secondary this year frees us up to focus on offense more next year, and this was always going to be a minimum of a two-year project.

Here's a stat that could explain the reasoning behind the two Safeties.

Third-Down Conversion % Against. 

2015: 33.2% (3rd in NFL)
2016: 40% (19th in NFL)

It seemed like we couldn't stop anyone last season on 3rd down...even 3rd and long.  TEs ran wild on us and we couldn't defend slot WRs...yadda yadda.

The ripple effect of better play on 1st and 2nd downs will amplify that.  We were spoiled for years with really good secondary play but now we've seen what it looks like on the other side and it sucked.  Sure we need more offense.  But investing big in fixing the secondary this year frees us up to focus on offense more next year, and this was always going to be a minimum of a two-year project.

Again, who cares? We don't have a QB. And when we draft (hopefully) Darnold next year, his awesome supporting cast consists of Quincy Enunwa as his #1 receiver, no RB at all, and a 5th round questionable TE and a sketchy OL in from of him. And then Darnold looks like total trash because he has zero talent, people start calling him a bust, rinse, repeat.

53 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

We very easily could have lost the same 13-15 games we're going to lose this season anyway, and had guys like Cook, Williams, Or Howard, or a host of combinations of top tier weapons with a solid year of experience under their belt ready to go for Darnold or whoever.

We're not going to fix it in a year.  There will be more drafts.  Adams was a higher rated prospect than Williams, Howard and Cook.  Passing on Cooks in round 2?  That's the only part that makes me nervous.

We're not going to fix it in a year.  There will be more drafts.  Adams was a higher rated prospect than Williams, Howard and Cook.  Passing on Cooks in round 2?  That's the only part that makes me nervous.

I completely agree, so my point is rather than rebuilding the defense again for the 5th time in the past 15 years, draft weapons on offense, give them a year of experience so they're good support for the QB you draft next year. Then, while the QB goes through his growing pains, rebuild the D. By the time the D is rebuilt the QB and weapons are seasoned in their prime with tons of experience together.

Currently we will be wasting 5 years of Jamal Adams career while we groom a QB.

I don't get the Mccowm money at all.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Archived